Swede dies in accident in Hua Hin

webfact

Swede dies in accident in Hua Hin

by Maria Jønsson

Swede-dead-hua-hin-scandasia.jpg

The street where the accident occured. Taken from Google Maps.

HUA HIN: -- A 68-year-old Swedish man has died after being hit by a car at an intersection where he went by motorcycle taxi. The man was a resident in Stockholm, and the Foreign Ministry in Sweden confirms that his relatives have been informed.

The accident happened on 28 November 2016 in Hua Hin, and the Swede had just left a dinner with his friend, and was on his way home on a motorcycle taxi. The accident occurred on the night between Monday and Tuesday, Swedish time.

Dan Magnusson, 75, says he had been at a dinner with the 68-year-old – one of his best friends – and that the two were on their way home. Since they were going in different directions, they chose different means of transport. The 68-year-old took a motorcycle taxi.

At an intersection, the driver stopped at a red light. 

Full story: http://scandasia.com/swede-dies-in-accident-in-hua-hin/

-- ScandAsia 2016-12-02

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, there is no penalty here, for hit and run. In other words, there is no additional penalty for fleeing the scene of a crime. No wonder. Between owning up to the responsibility, the costs involved, and the loss of face, one can see why so many cowards flee the scene of the crime. Until law enforcement gets serious about this, little will change, and the carnage will continue unabated. Way to go. The country is about to overtake Libya for the number one spot when it comes to road deaths, per capita. Not exactly the kind of number one a country wants to be known for. 

It is so great that people here in Thai Visa forum always knows everything better than local police :) How do you know that this driver who hit the motorcycle has not yet been arrested by the police? Of course I´m sad about death of this Swede but what worries me is, that these motorcycle taxis normally don´t have a helmet to offer for their customers even it is compulsory  to use for both.

1 hour ago, Borzandy said:

RIP.

Another hit and run. One more, and no one will be punished.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, there is no penalty here, for hit and run. In other words, there is no additional penalty for fleeing the scene of a crime.

1 hour ago, ChaoDangChard said:

This murdering hit and run driver, has to be found and brought to justice! There must be CCTV somewhere around

17 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I would suggest that many Thais seen as causing an accident flee the scene incase they get lynched.

You all surely understand English better than me.

Can one of you show me where they say the car driver fled the scene?

They say " When the driver saw the red light coming, he gassed up instead of slowing down,”. Nobody said he didn't stop after the crash...

RIP Swedish man :402:

" When the driver saw the red light coming, he gassed up instead of slowing down,” 

this is so typical of Thai behaviour. Same thing with a potential hazard up ahead when all the traffic slows down at the same time but you always get some jerk on a motorbike who speeds up through any narrow gap available.

55 minutes ago, Jedsada3 said:

You all surely understand English better than me.

Can one of you show me where they say the car driver fled the scene?

They say " When the driver saw the red light coming, he gassed up instead of slowing down,”. Nobody said he didn't stop after the crash...

RIP Swedish man :402:

I think it is a presumption. Many Thai men flee the scene of a crime. Many are emotionally unprepared for the consequences, when they have caused the accident out of carelessness. And since there is little in the way of a deterrent under Thai law, there is little incentive to stick around, and pay the price from the mayhem they have caused.

2 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

What do you expect from Thai drivers? Courtesy? Consideration? Obedience of the law? Compassion? Forward thinking?

Answer: no no no no and no

Generalizations are out of place here. Your assertion is simple thai bashing. Shame on you.

R.I.P swedish Man.

47 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

Generalizations are out of place here. Your assertion is simple thai bashing. Shame on you.

R.I.P swedish Man.

Quite...I've driven over 300K kms in Thailand and rarely see out-right dangerous driving (yes there's some stupidity, but one comes to expect that). I find most drivers are courteous.....a small percentage are not. 

Spider Mike is right about Libya, but Libya is in the middle of a civil war how can driving deaths be counted in a situation like that. I disqualify Libya, and and in doing so Thailand become number one if driving Fatalities. 

The accident occurred on the night between Monday and Tuesday, Swedish time...huh????

Are motorcycles so called taxis covered by insurance for such accidents to cover passengers?

As foreigners are requested to carry health insurance am questioning whether the Thai Authorities concerned are enforcing such requirement that is of more importance than us carrying health insurance ???

2 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Never have taken a motorcycle taxi in Hua Hin  or BKK  and am not

going to start now. RIP to this old tourist.

Geezer

I use them alot in both HH and BKK. When the choice is between waiting an hour to get to a location that is not served by the BTS, or the MRT, or taking a 6 minute ride from hell, usually I choose the latter. Of course I realize there is a risk. There have been some close calls. But, most of these guys are relatively skillful, having been doing it for many years. Recently, someone cut right in front of us, and the driver skidded to a stop within just a meter of the car in front of us. I was impressed! We take our chances sometimes. I myself, utterly despise being caught in massive traffic jams, and will do nearly anything to get out of them, including taking this risk to life and limb.

17 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

" When the driver saw the red light coming, he gassed up instead of slowing down,” 

this is so typical of Thai behaviour. Same thing with a potential hazard up ahead when all the traffic slows down at the same time but you always get some jerk on a motorbike who speeds up through any narrow gap available.

This moronic behaviour Is not exclusive to Thailand, nor typical of only Thai drivers.  I see It frequently In Australia, where there are laws that are rigidly policed.

Give the Thais a break.  They are not the only stupid road users on the planet.

Running red lights is by no means a Thai phenomenon. The city where I'm from in the States is notoriously bad for this type of behavior.  Fifteen years ago my 6 month old car had the back end caved in by a truck who slammed into it when I stopped for a red light.  I suspect he thought I was going to run it and he was going to follow right behind me.  It has gotten so bad that a few years ago the local govt started installing cameras at major intersections for the sole purpose of catching red light runners.

I've lived in HH for 3 years now and have yet to see someone run a red light.  Even though I've wondered before whether the yellow light duration here maybe a bit shorter than in the States.  I'm NOT defending the car driver in any way and, if they did leave the scene, I wish they would be punished as severely a they would in the US.  Unfortunately, as stated by other posts, the chances of that are almost zero.  Which is part of the reason why there seem to be so many hit-and-runs in this country.

That said, I also feel bad for the deceased and his family/friends.

18 hours ago, kokopelli said:

Just a hunch, but as the one driver saw the red light coming he sped up and the other driver possibly jumped the light.  I often see this, at intersections, no one looks or waits a bit when the light turns green, just go forward.

Even more astonishing than that, is the guy who cuts in front of you, while entering the highway. Often I am cruising along at 100-120kph, and a guy cuts in front of me at a very unsafe distance. I look behind me, and there is nobody for quite some distance. Which means, that if he had waited 3 seconds, he would have been able to safely enter the highway, without putting the lives and safety of him, his entire family, and all of the people driving on the highway in his vicinity at risk. Surely, he could have seen that there was nobody behind me. 

Is that due to a complete lack of consciousness, a total lack of patience, a desire to deliberately entertain risk, a real lack of driving skills, a complete lack of courtesy, or just a lack of common sense? Or all of the above? 

4 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

This moronic behaviour Is not exclusive to Thailand, nor typical of only Thai drivers.  I see It frequently In Australia, where there are laws that are rigidly policed.

Give the Thais a break.  They are not the only stupid road users on the planet.

I'm not necessarily getting at the Thai public I'm expressing my annoyance and frustration at the authorities for not educating and examining drivers and motorcyclists regarding consideration to other road users not just oneself. Not one comment from the Minister of Transport expressing horror regarding the perpetual road carnage or even a brief mention that they will do something about it.

On 02/12/2016 at 4:47 PM, kokopelli said:

Just a hunch, but as the one driver saw the red light coming he sped up and the other driver possibly jumped the light. 

From the full report...

" At an intersection, the driver stopped at a red light. When it turned green, he drove out."

So much for your hunch.

8 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

The accident occurred on the night between Monday and Tuesday, Swedish time...huh????

Are motorcycles so called taxis covered by insurance for such accidents to cover passengers?

As foreigners are requested to carry health insurance am questioning whether the Thai Authorities concerned are enforcing such requirement that is of more importance than us carrying health insurance ???

The report was in a Swedish newspaper, hence the reference to Swedish time.

Motorcyle taxis properly registered as such are insured.

Foreigners are not required to have health insurance so Thai authorities obviously cannot enforce it.

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:28 PM, Cuchulainn said:

What do you expect from Thai drivers? Courtesy? Consideration? Obedience of the law? Compassion? Forward thinking?

Answer: no no no no and no

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: and I believe in Santa Clause

Archived