BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snoop1130

Tourists dump 860 kilos of shells and coral at Krabi Airport in last three months

Tourists dump 860 kilos of shells and coral at Krabi Airport in last three months

aHR0cDovL3BlMi5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3Vk

Tourists who thought they might try to take illegal souvenirs home with them from the beaches and sea of Krabi have dumped 860 kilos of forbidden items at the airport.

The haul - returned to parks authorities yesterday - was dumped in various places in the Krabi International Airport over the last three months after airport authorities said the shells and corals could not be taken on airplanes.

Witthaya Khunsan of the local marine park authority said much of the shells and coral was species protected by law. It is illegal to remove it from the sea and beaches or buy it in markets.

Source: http://news.sanook.com/2110894/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-02

Some people are so pathetic. In this case, the ignorant dummy tourists. why can't they have some respect for nature? 

all that can be taken onto a flight,: are the oysters for 1st Class :vampire:

It's a fair point but I don't understand what he means about protected species.  Are people taking live coral and shellfish away with them?

It's a fair point but I don't understand what he means about protected species.  Are people taking live coral and shellfish away with them?

Also dead coral can not be taken and should be left in the sea.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

That's a staggering amount, the cost of tourism I suppose.

Here's an idea, how's about the Thai authorities come down super hard on the Thai shop keepers who are selling sea shell/coral goodies to tourists, all over most tourist resorts. Better still, why not come down super hard on the people who are making them! Too difficult I suppose.

It says it's illegal to buy it in the markets,,and tourists know this?
I guess the merchandise is hidden from the police and you can only buy it if you know the secret handshake.

10 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

Some people are so pathetic. In this case, the ignorant dummy tourists. why can't they have some respect for nature? 

I have picked up shells on my local beach and brought them home for my front garden,  I don't consider myself an "ingnorant dummy"  for doing this, just the same as the tourists were doing. 

Just think of all the tiny creatures deprived of a home and habitat.

Very irresponsible!!

How on earth do these authorities know it was tourists that did this.......when once there were shops everywhere along the coastal areas selling souvenir shells and corals?

When I was a kid, we could buy bags and bags of seashells at tourist traps all around the beaches in New Jersey.  

Marked "Product of Taiwan" (or somewhere similar)

When we collected our own on the beach, they stunk up the station wagon to high heaven within hours.

Yup...tourism is good for Thailand,  imagine how much refuse they leave behind?  It's a price the country will learn to regret. 

11 hours ago, Slip said:

Protected doesnt mean that it has to be alive to be considered a crime :D - it means the species is protected and any harm to it or its environment is considered a felony.  Species are selected for protection based on endangerment.  

12 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

The authorities could start by closing down the sellers at the markets.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Witthaya Khunsan of the local marine park authority said much of the shells and coral was species protected by law. It is illegal to remove it from the sea and beaches or buy it in markets.

Surely he means sell it in markets?

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The haul - returned to parks authorities yesterday

Maybe for re-cycling back to the markets?