Chickens on strike

Out of 19 chickens only getting 3-6 eggs.Used to get 15 minimum.This has been happening for 2 months.Are they past their use by date.I have had them for 2 years.I try to mark the ones laying so the layers don't get the chop for the laziness from the others.

Are your chickens in a chicken coop or out free range? 

If it's the latter, they might be laying eggs out around the yard/field.

Were there any major changes around the time they stopped laying e.g. a change in their food? 

I don't have chickens here in Thailand yet, but I remember from my childhood we always had a few chickens which preferred to lay their eggs out around the yard. 

On 12/3/2016 at 5:14 PM, djayz said:

Are your chickens in a chicken coop or out free range? 

If it's the latter, they might be laying eggs out around the yard/field.

Were there any major changes around the time they stopped laying e.g. a change in their food? 

I don't have chickens here in Thailand yet, but I remember from my childhood we always had a few chickens which preferred to lay their eggs out around the yard. 

They are in a coop with plenty of room and no changes in diet.

On 12/3/2016 at 5:48 PM, Jotham79 said:

You are due for a molt.  Did they lose some feathers?  Are you keeping them with 15 hours of light? 

Yes they are molting,what does that mean.Do they stop laying when this happens.They get light from the sun.I really don't want to kill them but i am feeding a lot with no eggs produced.If there is a reason for it,i will stay the execution for a while.

After hens lay for about a year they go through a moult where they lose feathers and lay few eggs.  The better the layer the more drastic the moult.  Commercial farms get rid of their entire flock and get new layers.  Yours will start laying again, but will lay fewer eggs that will be a little larger on average.  They are not likely to start until the days start getting longer, but this will be a slow process.  If you want to get them to lay well and soon, you need to put light on them for about 15 hours a day.

• 2 months later...
On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:24 PM, louse1953 said:

Yes they are molting,what does that mean.Do they stop laying when this happens.They get light from the sun.I really don't want to kill them but i am feeding a lot with no eggs produced.If there is a reason for it,i will stay the execution for a while.

DON'T KILL THEM!!!!

When they go through their molt they stop laying.  Once they molt is over they go back to normal production!!!!!!

I have hens well over 5 years still laying lots of eggs... and my oldest hen is 9 years old and I still get 4 eggs off her a week.

If you are not a factory farm mass producing for max profit outfit, you really don't need to cull your birds at their age!

• 1 year later...
On 2/14/2017 at 11:36 PM, jak2002003 said:

DON'T KILL THEM!!!!

When they go through their molt they stop laying.  Once they molt is over they go back to normal production!!!!!!

I have hens well over 5 years still laying lots of eggs... and my oldest hen is 9 years old and I still get 4 eggs off her a week.

If you are not a factory farm mass producing for max profit outfit, you really don't need to cull your birds at their age!

I am looking for a few chickens. Can you recommend a breed that's available in Thailand?

8 minutes ago, Damaz6052 said:

I am looking for a few chickens. Can you recommend a breed that's available in Thailand?

There is a group on facebook called "backyard chickens Thailand". If you post your question there as well as here, you might get more suggestions. 

In addition to this, it might help if you told people where you are located. Maybe members can make recommendations based on your region. 

11 minutes ago, djayz said:

There is a group on facebook called "backyard chickens Thailand". If you post your question there as well as here, you might get more suggestions. 

In addition to this, it might help if you told people where you are located. Maybe members can make recommendations based on your region. 

Thanks, I've found the group on FB. I live in Phuket.

Archived