Phuket taxi pulling a fast one with a fast meter?

webfact

Phuket taxi pulling a fast one with a fast meter?

111.jpg

Image: Video screenshot

PHUKET: -- A video posted online has gone viral after it showed a short taxi journey with the meter speeding faster than the driver!

In the car was a Thai woman and a foreign man who were on their way from Phuket airport to a hotel.

In just a short journey of a few minutes the meter reached 110 baht and neither the passengers nor the driver are happy, reports Sanook.

In the end the driver takes them back to the airport and is heard to remark to the girl on the counter: "Bloody annoying people!"

The video was posted on the Facebook page of Tarn Charinrat and in next to no time had been viewed 100,000 times with 4,000 shares.

The passengers questioned the speed of the meter but some posters online said that this was normal for Phuket. Others said it was too expensive and the driver was conning the passengers with an incorrectly set meter and should be reported.

Many said that this fleecing was practiced on both Thai and foreign tourists and was another nail in the coffin for the image of Thai tourism.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-06

7 hours ago, timendres said:

If you watch the Km portion of the meter, you will see the price runs up 6 baht in less than 1 Km.

Definitely not right.

The first Km are more expensive in taxis most places in the world. You can see the  km distance as well as fares on the Phuket meters.

I noticed that from the airport out to Thepkasattri it ran quicker for the first couple of km, then settled- there is a flagdrop rate (and the B100 Airport pickup tax). Fare to Kamala was B450 plus the 100= B550, reasonable to me for Phuket.  B110 could have been correct- depends on one's interpretation of a 'short distance'.

6 hours ago, Psimbo said:

The first Km are more expensive in taxis most places in the world. You can see the  km distance as well as fares on the Phuket meters.

I noticed that from the airport out to Thepkasattri it ran quicker for the first couple of km, then settled- there is a flagdrop rate (and the B100 Airport pickup tax). Fare to Kamala was B450 plus the 100= B550, reasonable to me for Phuket.  B110 could have been correct- depends on one's interpretation of a 'short distance'.

Yes but isn't the minimum fare a starting point and then it clicks on after the 1st KM?

Taxi meters are a frightening device!

Archived