Family: West Michigan woman stuck in Thailand after escaping abduction

webfact

Family: West Michigan woman stuck in Thailand after escaping abduction

BY CASSY ARSENAULT

RAVENNA, Mich. -- A dream vacation to see another part of the world turned into a nightmare for a Ravenna woman.

Alex Fairfield went to Thailand with a friend to check the trip of a lifetime off of her bucket list.  Instead, her family says she was drugged, captured and tied up, forced to escape if she wanted to save her own life.

Her family says they aren't getting enough help to try to bring her home.

"We just really want to get her out of the country and back home," said Alex Moore, Fairfield's brother-in-law.

Full story: http://fox17online.com/2016/12/05/family-west-michigan-woman-stuck-in-thailand-after-escaping-abduction/

-- Fox17Online 2016-12-06

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The full story makes no sense to me at all.

"When she attempted to go to the airport to get her ticket, the airline who she booked through said they weren't able to do that and didn't give explicit reasons to why," said Moore.  "And ultimately just said 'No, you can't board this flight.' "

This is the first I've heard of this story...it just sounds fabricated...unfortunately, many people have a tendancy to cover their poor behavior and choices by creating absurd victim scenarios...can get a ticket back to the USA for less than 800USD...

Sounds fake to me.  If she was at bar with this friend all the time until he had to pee,  how did she get drugged.   It doesn't take that long to pee.   What did this friend do when he returned to find she was gone?  Did he ask at the bar where she went?  Did he check her room?  Did he go to the police to file a missing person report?  He didn't know her story of a police officer had her, so he had no reason to be afraid to go to the police.  Just doesn't make sense the whole story.

A post with a reference to the Royal Family has been removed.

Please keep the following in mind when posting.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

10 minutes ago, Artisi said:

See Brittany 's post lasted about 1 minute, it was assured the minute she mentioned the unmentionable.

Must be a record of some sort about 20 minutes from first

joining to banned.

For this story I call BS.

BrittanyB  has not been banned but the post has been removed.

A quick search turned up her sister's Facebook page.  Apparently she literally tried to book the first flight out, which went through China.  Without a Chinese Visa or a connecting flight out already booked, they wouldn't let her on the plane.

Her friends and family in Michigan seem to be under the impression that the US Embassy is here to help US citizens.  :saai:  They are quickly finding out that that is just not true. 

Looking at the thin clues here, how is the embassy supposed to deal with such a matter if the victim is unwilling to file a police report? OK. so the story says she thinks a policeman was involved. That would be very disturbing but on the other hand aren't cases of fake police rather common here? 

On the airport story, sounds just like bad reporting. I can see not boarding her but what would stop the airline from saying why not? 

1 hour ago, otherstuff1957 said:

A quick search turned up her sister's Facebook page.  Apparently she literally tried to book the first flight out, which went through China.  Without a Chinese Visa or a connecting flight out already booked, they wouldn't let her on the plane.

Her friends and family in Michigan seem to be under the impression that the US Embassy is here to help US citizens.  :saai:  They are quickly finding out that that is just not true. 

The US Embassy and other embassies try to pawn off responsibilities on local co-workers and friends.   Avoiding the smug, ineffectual government employee abroad keeps one's blood pressure low and outlook bright.

Sadly, she does not seem to know anything about the place where she was abducted or where her escape took place.  You should always know where you are. 

Did she book the ticket using another person's credit card? if so that is the only reason I think the airline in Bangkok would refuse for reasons of credit card fraud, if not I can't think of any other reasons.

Whatever it is, I hope she returns home safely.

Oh my god, this story smells worse than any I've read in a long time.  SO obviously a scam.  Pretty sad comment on how gullible people are.  They pushed all the buttons that work, though: "dangerous, corrupt Thailand;" "women being kidnapped" (the kidnapping angle always gets money from people--hence the huge "rescue industry" scamming people in the West to "save" all those bargirls "sold into sex slavery by their families," blahblah).  They made $8,000 on this!!!

https://www.gofundme.com/bringalexandjoehome

19 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Did she book the ticket using another person's credit card? if so that is the only reason I think the airline in Bangkok would refuse for reasons of credit card fraud, if not I can't think of any other reasons.

Whatever it is, I hope she returns home safely.

Chinese visa for a flight via China.

8 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Chinese visa for a flight via China.

No visa required if it is simply a connecting flight through Chine, I do it often. If she booked separate flights with a lay over in Chine, different story!

I would put my money on either the credit card idea or perhaps they were concerned about her medical condition (physical or mental) for a long international flight? I saw pics on her sister's FB page and her chin, chest, and hand/wrist were obviously injured. Maybe she needs a medical certificate for the flight?

9 minutes ago, Canuck50 said:

No visa required if it is simply a connecting flight through Chine, I do it often. If she booked separate flights with a lay over in Chine, different story!

I would put my money on either the credit card idea or perhaps they were concerned about her medical condition (physical or mental) for a long international flight? I saw pics on her sister's FB page and her chin, chest, and hand/wrist were obviously injured. Maybe she needs a medical certificate for the flight?

if i recall correctly china allows 48 or 72 hours stay without visa if you have a connecting departure flight.  example one way bkk to hong kong and one way shenzen departing china.

Anyways its really easy to book a flight to get out of Thailand back to The States. I would imagine if she knew how to come here then she would know how to get home. 

If she is able to come here for holiday then i should think she is financially sound enough to take care of herself abroad should any problem arises and if not the family should be able to pay.

If she is in fear of her safety, just  get someone from the embassy to accompany her from her hotel to the airport and send her off. 

Why does the family need a gofundme and 8000 bucks to get her out?

32 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Anyways its really easy to book a flight to get out of Thailand back to The States. I would imagine if she knew how to come here then she would know how to get home. 

If she is able to come here for holiday then i should think she is financially sound enough to take care of herself abroad should any problem arises and if not the family should be able to pay.

If she is in fear of her safety, just  get someone from the embassy to accompany her from her hotel to the airport and send her off. 

Why does the family need a gofundme and 8000 bucks to get her out?

I watched an interview with the girl's mother. She said "her flight was cancelled with no reason given". That sounds to me like the entire flight was cancelled by the airline (weather, mechanical, etc) but nothing about HER not being allowed to board the flight.

The Go Fund Me target was set at $3000 US and the reason was stated as "to help replace money that was stolen from her and to help with the travel costs for her and her friend to return home (to the US early). Seems like a reasonable amount to me, not saying they should ask for other people's help but that is a different question. The fact that it ran up well beyond the requested amount of $3,000 to $8,000 was not their fault. They do say that anything donated above the required amount would be "donated to an organization that combats sex trafficking".

I agree that this story is BS.... "She broke away from her attackers by jumping off the balcony and hiding in the bushes for 6 hours". Something is just not right about it. One can get a United Airlines flight from BKK to Narita to Detroit for less than $1000.00. Pretty good profit from the $8000.00 Go Fund Me raised. 

These BS stories are sweeping the world for the sole reason of pulling USA 50k out of a go fund me website. Woman in the USA just pulled exactly that after being kidnapped but was found alive.. After the money was paid to her husband's account

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I agree that this story is BS.... "She broke away from her attackers by jumping off the balcony and hiding in the bushes for 6 hours". Something is just not right about it. One can get a United Airlines flight from BKK to Narita to Detroit for less than $1000.00. Pretty good profit from the $8000.00 Go Fund Me raised. 

These BS stories are sweeping the world for the sole reason of pulling USA 50k out of a go fund me website. Woman in the USA just pulled exactly that after being kidnapped but was found alive.. After the money was paid to her husband's account of course, the money supposed to help find her. They since both disappeared again.. Scum

Archived