Family: West Michigan woman stuck in Thailand after escaping abduction

webfact

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Canuck50 said:

Maybe...From her sister's FB:

" ***Update: She is at the airport and is going to try to let us know when she takes off for China. She has a long layover there, but at least she will be out of Bangkok" ...implying that they did have a connecting flight.

Then:

" ***1:20pm They are not letting them on the plane! This is insane!!!!! We are suspicious at this point, so we have been advised she leave the airport and go back into hiding. "

But her mother said in a video interview I watched that "the airline cancelled the flight without giving reason" implying the whole flight was cancelled.

Hard to know exactly what happened at this point but hopefully more information will come in due course. 

Agree.

I am this woman's mother and a former newspaper editor. Our only goal was to get our daughter out of the country as soon as possible after the trauma she suffered on the very first night of her 10-day groupon vacation. No one is indicting the country of Thailand, but something very terrifying happened to her and she was fortunate to be a strong, athletic girl and keep her wits about her and escape an abduction and probable rape. I pray no one from any country has to live through the kind of terror she did over that several hour period. Before we utilized social media seeking help, she and her friend booked a flight back to the U.S. but their tickets were canceled without explanation because United Airlines didn't provide them with a ticket number, though there were empty seats on the flight. At this point, none of us knew what was going on (the man who kidnapped her was in a military-type uniform) and a gofundme page was set up with the intention of raising $3,000 to help get her home by whatever means necessary. Our American community was amazing and raised more than $8,000 in a couple hours to help get her home. A Congressman from Washington D.C. intervened and helped get them on a flight to Abu Dhabi and eventually back home and we were very thankful. The excess money, which we expect to be close to $5,000 once Joe's phone bill for international calls has been received, will be donated to the International Justice Mission, a non-profit that combats sex trafficking, in hopes that no other young lady has to endure what she went through. Unbelievable story? Yes, because 95 percent of abductees never get out to tell their story. Our daughter did and we are so unbelievably thankful. 

Such an awful thing to have happened on your first night in Thailand ! I do hope your embassy helped ? Were they also robbed which led them to having no money to buy a return ticket ? I'm not being cheeky, but I always advise every single person who goes abroad ( anywhere) to always have travel insurance. Awful things, accidents/illnesses can happen anywhere in the world and insurance can spare a lot of grief. I hope your daughter is ok now, and handling this ordeal with your help. 

7 hours ago, Cindy Fairfield said:

I am this woman's mother and a former newspaper editor. Our only goal was to get our daughter out of the country as soon as possible after the trauma she suffered on the very first night of her 10-day groupon vacation. No one is indicting the country of Thailand, but something very terrifying happened to her and she was fortunate to be a strong, athletic girl and keep her wits about her and escape an abduction and probable rape. I pray no one from any country has to live through the kind of terror she did over that several hour period. Before we utilized social media seeking help, she and her friend booked a flight back to the U.S. but their tickets were canceled without explanation because United Airlines didn't provide them with a ticket number, though there were empty seats on the flight. At this point, none of us knew what was going on (the man who kidnapped her was in a military-type uniform) and a gofundme page was set up with the intention of raising $3,000 to help get her home by whatever means necessary. Our American community was amazing and raised more than $8,000 in a couple hours to help get her home. A Congressman from Washington D.C. intervened and helped get them on a flight to Abu Dhabi and eventually back home and we were very thankful. The excess money, which we expect to be close to $5,000 once Joe's phone bill for international calls has been received, will be donated to the International Justice Mission, a non-profit that combats sex trafficking, in hopes that no other young lady has to endure what she went through. Unbelievable story? Yes, because 95 percent of abductees never get out to tell their story. Our daughter did and we are so unbelievably thankful. 

Some reports say a tan coloured uniform, maybe a police officers uniform but you say it was a military-type uniform. Why didn't you send her the cash for the flight by western union or pay for rhe tickets yourself by credit card? Why gofundme? Which congressman from Washington? A name as there are many. By your account posted here you now think she was targeted by sex traffickers and this was more than attempted rape. What other foreign abuductees by sex traffickers in Bangkok were you talking about. 95% don't get to tell their story. How do you know? Source please.

something very terrifying happened to her

No doubt.

their tickets were canceled without explanation because United Airlines didn't provide them with a ticket number, though there were empty seats on the flight

In all my years of flying I've never heard of a US airline canceling someones ticket without explanation. To do so would would open them up to litigation. How is it you know there were empty seats?

What evidence you you have that your Daughter is telling the truth and the whole story isnt a complete fabrication ?

I suppose you people also think that the rape of the Australian woman is also a scam. What is a scam is that you people are actually questioning the legitimacy of this allegation when it is widely known that one rape occurs every 15 minutes in Thailand. You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

4 minutes ago, ldiablo72 said:

I suppose you people also think that the rape of the Australian woman is also a scam. What is a scam is that you people are actually questioning the legitimacy of this allegation when it is widely known that one rape occurs every 15 minutes in Thailand. You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

Agreed and well said!

7 minutes ago, ldiablo72 said:

They are two entirely different cases . This Woman isnt even claiming that she got raped  .

You seem to be saying that because rapes happen then we should believe all allegations of attempted rape ?

Even though there are suspicions about this story, we should believe them because rapes do happen ? 

We should not look at any facts, just believe the allegations without weighting up the probability of it being a false allegation ?  

9 hours ago, Cindy Fairfield said:

Cindy i am glad you got your daughter out n you even took the time to come here n clear the doubts.

I wish you and your family well. 

On 12/6/2016 at 6:57 PM, realenglish1 said:

Doesn't want to make a police report ? Probably a phony report

She blew her money and does not know what  to do . If she did go to the police no doubt they would help her

Her situation sounds like a lie to me

There's the Tourist Police, 1155 even toll-free.

2 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Some reports say a tan coloured uniform, maybe a police officers uniform but you say it was a military-type uniform. Why didn't you send her the cash for the flight by western union or pay for rhe tickets yourself by credit card? Why gofundme? Which congressman from Washington? A name as there are many. By your account posted here you now think she was targeted by sex traffickers and this was more than attempted rape. What other foreign abuductees by sex traffickers in Bangkok were you talking about. 95% don't get to tell their story. How do you know? Source please.

Once the phone bill has arrived, sounds interesting. 

10 hours ago, Cindy Fairfield said:

. The excess money, which we expect to be close to $5,000 once Joe's phone bill for international calls has been received, will be donated to the International Justice Mission, a non-profit that combats sex trafficking, in hopes that no other young lady has to endure what she went through. Unbelievable story? Yes, because 95 percent of abductees never get out to tell their story. Our daughter did and we are so unbelievably thankful. 

I have a better idea what you can do with the excess money to stop sex trafficking

Why doesnt your Daughter use the money to fly back to Thailand and make a detailed report to the Police , so that they can capture the people who abducted your Child .

She will be completely safe , as its now such high profile and Thailands top Police will probably get on the case and catch the perpetrators .

Why doesnt She come back to Thailand to help catch the people ?

Make a complaint at a Police station and they will take her to the place where it happened and get CCTV evidence and witness statements .

After her terrible experience, she may not want to come back, but she really needs to help the authorities catch these men .

Is there any reason why she may now want to come back to Thailand to catch these people ?

She is working with the Thailand police from here. A policeman named Mario has been very professional and she has been in contact with him daily and is sharing any information that might be helpful. Fortunately, he has sent her a photo of the bar and she has identified it as the place where the man abducted her. She also has described some of the group that was with her abductor so again, hopefully, they will be able to find witnesses (she remembers the bartender talking at length early in the evening to the sister of the man who abducted her and with whom she had been friendly with) and they will be able to stop this person from potentially doing this to someone else. As far as sex trafficking goes or simply an attempted rape on an individual, we truly have no idea. But because she was taken  to a windowless apartment with a bare mattress on the floor, it seems like this kind of activity has happened before or could happen again in the future. I'm certain Thai people and others living in Bangkok do not want this kind of person roaming their streets either so, hopefully, the police will find leads. As far as the uniform goes, we are not from that area, so my daughter clearly did not know whether it was a local police uniform or military or whatever. She only knows that he was in a tan uniform that had some red on it.

5 minutes ago, Cindy Fairfield said:

Fortunately, he has sent her a photo of the bar and she has identified it as the place where the man abducted her. She also has described some of the group that was with her abductor so again, hopefully, they will be able to find witnesses (she remembers the bartender talking at length early in the evening to the sister of the man who abducted her and with whom she had been friendly with)

With that information , the Police will be able to easily identify the men and quickly arrest them . There is CCTV footage in nearly every bar and many CCTV cameras all over Bangkok .

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

With that information , the Police will be able to easily identify the men and quickly arrest them . There is CCTV footage in nearly every bar and many CCTV cameras all over Bangkok .

I don't mean to be rude sanemax, but I  think you have been here long enough to know better than that.  The chances of the cctv being 'broken' are staggering.

''

6 minutes ago, Slip said:

I don't mean to be rude sanemax, but I  think you have been here long enough to know better than that.  The chances of the cctv being 'broken' are staggering.

''

But there are many occurrences  that are caught on CCTV , especially in the bars and surrounding streets . It would be highly unlikely if there was no available CCTV footage at all, also, I dont think that tuk tuk drivers and barstaff would receive any privileged protection from Police investigators

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

But there are many occurrences  that are caught on CCTV , especially in the bars and surrounding streets . It would be highly unlikely if there was no available CCTV footage at all, also, I dont think that tuk tuk drivers and barstaff would receive any privileged protection from Police investigators

We can only hope you are correct.

No, this is bs. Your not Cindy Fairfield. I've google mapped the hotel and bars nearby. If you can't say the name of the bar after your daughter identified it then I call bs. Yes and I know you'll post oh, I can't tell you the name its police business, etc. So your input has been zero. No proof.

This story and the aussie girl rape are headline news. Why has there been zero reaction to your appearance on this forum. Because we all know its bs.

25 minutes ago, bodymassagemyfriend said:

No need to send money , you can book a flight for someone else

Yes a ticket can easily be bought online by a parent for $1000 or so to fly the girl home, no reason at all for a fund raising effort. Yet a big effort was made anyways . Very odd.

No, this is bs. Your not Cindy Fairfield. I've google mapped the hotel and bars nearby. If you can't say the name of the bar after your daughter identified it then I call bs. Yes and I know you'll post oh, I can't tell you the name its police business, etc. So your input has been zero. No proof.
This story and the aussie girl rape are headline news. Why has there been zero reaction to your appearance on this forum. Because we all know its bs.

People like you are the reason I now barely post on this website, bar the motor forum

Archived