Family: West Michigan woman stuck in Thailand after escaping abduction

webfact

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, the donger said:

I don't understand how it would cost 3000 to get home, was she on overstay or something?

It seems like her friend wanted to go home as well with her , so she needed two tickets .

She wanted her phone calls back home to be paid for as well............and she also got some money stolen from her as well and she wanted that replaced as well

What we are sure of is ,  Alex went out for the night with a boy friend called Joe , they went to a bar drinking , Alex suddenly disappeared for the night and came back the next morning looking quite disheveled .

Alex explains to Joe that she got kidnapped and held against her will and that is why she didnt come home last night and she then decided not to make a Police report .

On 12/6/2016 at 3:45 PM, Moonmoon said:

Why does the family need a gofundme and 8000 bucks to get her out?

Her Family knew that she was at the airport and they knew that she wasnt able to board her flight . She then back into Bangkok .

If you knew that a Family member was in danger and at an airport , well, I would have told her to wait at the airport , gone straight onto a flight booking website and booked her on the next flight out of there, paying with a bank card .

She seems to have quite a large extended Family, surely they could all chip to raise enough money for a one way flight from BKK to USA .

She also claimed that she had all her money stolen , her friend Joe didnt have his money stolen , as they were only on their first night of a two week holiday, why couldnt Joe have used his holiday spending money to buy flights ?

4 hours ago, Cindy Fairfield said:

She is working with the Thailand police from here. A policeman named Mario has been very professional and she has been in contact with him daily and is sharing any information that might be helpful. Fortunately, he has sent her a photo of the bar and she has identified it as the place where the man abducted her. She also has described some of the group that was with her abductor so again, hopefully, they will be able to find witnesses (she remembers the bartender talking at length early in the evening to the sister of the man who abducted her and with whom she had been friendly with) and they will be able to stop this person from potentially doing this to someone else. As far as sex trafficking goes or simply an attempted rape on an individual, we truly have no idea. But because she was taken  to a windowless apartment with a bare mattress on the floor, it seems like this kind of activity has happened before or could happen again in the future. I'm certain Thai people and others living in Bangkok do not want this kind of person roaming their streets either so, hopefully, the police will find leads. As far as the uniform goes, we are not from that area, so my daughter clearly did not know whether it was a local police uniform or military or whatever. She only knows that he was in a tan uniform that had some red on it.

"But because she was taken  to a windowless apartment..."

This "windowless apartment" had a balcony that she jumped from?   How did she know that there was a balcony to jump from and how could she get on to the balcony of a windowless apartment if there was no window?  Did she punch a hole in the wall to get to the balcony that, (a), she wouldn't be able to see and, (b) would not be a feature of a windowless apartment?  

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

I have a better idea what you can do with the excess money to stop sex trafficking

Why doesnt your Daughter use the money to fly back to Thailand and make a detailed report to the Police , so that they can capture the people who abducted your Child .

She will be completely safe , as its now such high profile and Thailands top Police will probably get on the case and catch the perpetrators .

Why doesnt She come back to Thailand to help catch the people ?

Make a complaint at a Police station and they will take her to the place where it happened and get CCTV evidence and witness statements .

After her terrible experience, she may not want to come back, but she really needs to help the authorities catch these men .

Is there any reason why she may now want to come back to Thailand to catch these people ?

Clearly you don't have a clue about how things work in Thailand, especially when men in uniform are implicated in a serious crime, in particular when the victim is foreign. Her safest and best course of action is to get back home, as she has done, never return to Thailand and publicise her story as widely as possible. It seems her mother is in a good position to do this, and hopefully no one else will have to go through what she suffered. However, it has happened before and it will likely happen again, as Thailand is generally not a safe country for young women traveling alone.

It is also worth pointing out that the alleged victim suggested on social media  that she thought the "attacker" may have been attached to a prominent Family in Thailand , She may not have realised at the time the Les Majeste laws in Thailand and that would explain why She didnt want to go to the Police and why she checked into a hotel under an alias and why she wanted to get out of Thailand as quick as she could and why she thought everyone was out to get her.

"Fairfield said she was dancing at a club not far from her hotel where she met a group consisting of two Thai women, a Thai man and white foreigner.They bought her some shots, and that’s when things went hazy. She said they took her in a car to another club where a live band was playing and she was led to a room where the alleged assault happened."

“When he picked me up to a standing position, I began punching him, aiming for his nose with the heel of my hand, as this does the most damage.”

So, She got off a long flight and probably jet lagged, went out all day sight seeing , then went out drinking with her boy friend , drinking shots, when he goes to the toilet, she willing leaves him and goes out to another club , she wiling went to a room where she passed out , a guy came into a room and picked her up, she attacked him and fled and hid in the bushes all night long .

What was the "attempted sexual assault" ?

A guy picked her up from the floor , if the guy had any ill intentions, surely he would have laid down with her, rather than pick her up ?

She claims that she was tied up, but there rope marks on her body and why would someone tie her up and just leave her there tied up ?

It could be that she got drunk, passed out , someone picked her up, she got scared, attacked him , fled and finished off her sleep in a bush .

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

It is also worth pointing out that the alleged victim suggested on social media  that she thought the "attacker" may have been attached to a prominent Family in Thailand

Which begs the question. 'why did she suspect this' That's alot of info for a terrified person in a drug induced stupor to suss out. But if it's true  she no doubt has the family name of the guy. 

20 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

Which begs the question. 'why did she suspect this' That's alot of info for a terrified person in a drug induced stupor to suss out. But if it's true  she no doubt has the family name of the guy. 

The "victim" doesnt seem to have courted any media attention at all .

It seems like she just sent her sister some photos of her injuries with an elaborate story about how they happened , maybe she exaggerated a bit and added bits to the story in what she thought was a private message to her sister .

Her sister then published the photos on FB stating how the injuries occurred .

The local media in the USA then picked up on the story , then the Thai media picked up the story and reported it , next thing she knows she could be facing 15 years in a Thai jail .

She then decides to get out of Thailand as quick as she can .

Her family then set up a gofundme page  , the Thai Police set up an investigation and its headline news.

And theres nothing that she can do about it .

She didnt go to the media or to the Police , it seems to have been just one private message to her sister that quickly escalated to headline news with possible serious consequences 

A quick search turned up her sister's Facebook page.  Apparently she literally tried to book the first flight out, which went through China.  Without a Chinese Visa or a connecting flight out already booked, they wouldn't let her on the plane.

Her friends and family in Michigan seem to be under the impression that the US Embassy is here to help US citizens.  :saai:  They are quickly finding out that that is just not true. 

It's not rocket science, she can get to Bangkok 12,000 ways. My girlfriend flew from the States through China (connecting)...no visa, no issues. She had a round trip ticket. I call BS. A lot of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

21 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It seems like she just sent her sister some photos of her injuries with an elaborate story about how they happened , maybe she exaggerated a bit and added bits to the story in what she thought was a private message to her sister .

The local media in the USA then picked up on the story , then the Thai media picked up the story and reported it , next thing she knows she could be facing 15 years in a Thai jail .

Her family then set up a gofundme page  , the Thai Police set up an investigation and its headline news.

She didnt go to the media or to the Police , it seems to have been just one private message to her sister that quickly escalated to headline news with possible serious consequences 

Which brings us back to due diligence by the likes of Fox news.

While there are gaps and inconsistencies in the story as reported, someone who has undergone a traumatic experience is not the the best frame of mind to make calmly considered and logical decisions. 

Some of the posters here are quite knowledgeable about Bangkok and might be able to pose some questions to Ms. Fairfield that could clear up some of the confusion.  For example, the tan uniform that the man in the nightclub & room wore: As far as I know police in Thailand almost always wear brown uniforms, not tan or khaki, tan uniforms are only used by the Thai Navy and security guards.

As for nailing down locations, Bangkok is a large, confusing city.  Thinking back to my early visits here, I'm sure that I visited nightclubs that I did not know the names and locations of and could never find again.  I don't live near Silom or visit there often, the only nightclub that I know of there is a rather famous one called "Spicy Club" or "Spicy Nightclub" or something along those lines.  If that was the club where her Mickey Finn was administered, further discussion and investigation might be rather sensitive.

On 12/5/2016 at 9:51 PM, otherstuff1957 said:

A quick search turned up her sister's Facebook page.  Apparently she literally tried to book the first flight out, which went through China.  Without a Chinese Visa or a connecting flight out already booked, they wouldn't let her on the plane.

Her friends and family in Michigan seem to be under the impression that the US Embassy is here to help US citizens.  :saai:  They are quickly finding out that that is just not true. 

OK.  If no onward flight I can understand , but if trying to get to the USA why would she not book all the way to the USA?  Doesn't sound like somebody in a hurry to get home!

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

All sounds pretty strange.  But true or not, I think there is a good lesson here.  In Thailand be careful about alleging anything bad against a Thai person or a Thai agency or entity.  They have complete ability to charge you with some variation of a crime and can cause you a lot of problems.

1 minute ago, realenglish1 said:

Your questioning her validity as well Who is to say maybe a guy she met beat her up and she does not want to report it This is a fishy story 

The Tourist Police is a different department, should she really be worried that cops did that to her. 

It does smell fishy, right. 

11 minutes ago, Cook my sock said:

Remember the sister of the koh Tao victim.. she was nearly charged for speaking her mind. So yes, best get out of dodge city

She couldn't have been charged, she was in the UK. Strange she soon dropped her accusations though. Perhaps she'll speak up again once the appeal is heard.

Back to tuk tuk drivers - A Chinese tourist was jailed a few years ago for making false rape accusations against a tuk tuk driver, she got a year and a half sentence if i remember right.

13 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

The Tourist Police is a different department, should she really be worried that cops did that to her. 

It does smell fishy, right. 

Not everyone who has an event here in Thailand is lying but there are a few every year that make weird accusations  and you know there is something missing in their 

statements. Maybe she is not lying but on the face of it It does smell fishy Sure maybe  there is something to it but the police are not going to cover something like this up 

Its in the tourist industry the one industry in Thailand that is monumentally important to then So any scum from it they will want to clean out 

If true she would have been safe going to the police 

9 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Not everyone who has an event here in Thailand is lying but there are a few every year that make weird accusations  and you know there is something missing in their 

statements. Maybe she is not lying but on the face of it It does smell fishy Sure maybe  there is something to it but the police are not going to cover something like this up 

Its in the tourist industry the one industry in Thailand that is monumentally important to then So any scum from it they will want to clean out 

If true she would have been safe going to the police 

Cops here experience very strange things with foreigners. Here's an example of an American who tried to claim a burglary in his apartment in Bangkok many moons ago.

An expensive camera, notebook, a lot of money, credit cards, etc.. was gone when he came home.

The cops knowing how many foreigners are trying to rip off their insurance started to search and all in a sudden didn't just find all the "stolen stuff".

The genius was in possession of more than 100 grams of ganja.

Let's see if we ever hear what really happened to her. I don't think that we will. 

P.S. I do not even visit the road watching Hoola Hoop swinging, fire eating and other foreign Morons doing strange things at one particular place.

The road to Nirwana.jpg

16 hours ago, ldiablo72 said:

I suppose you people also think that the rape of the Australian woman is also a scam. What is a scam is that you people are actually questioning the legitimacy of this allegation when it is widely known that one rape occurs every 15 minutes in Thailand. You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

One would hope that you can back that statistic up with some references, and at the same time demonstrate the comparison to ther rest of the countries in the world?

8 minutes ago, jpinx said:

One would hope that you can back that statistic up with some references, and at the same time demonstrate the comparison to ther rest of the countries in the world?

One would hope that the truth about the one attempted rape the other rape by tuk tuk drivers will come out and not be another unsolved mystery.

1 minute ago, Wilsonandson said:

One would hope that the truth about the one attempted rape the other rape by tuk tuk drivers will come out and not be another unsolved mystery.

One would also hope that the benefactors will give an account of how the money donated is being used......

She couldn't have been charged, she was in the UK. Strange she soon dropped her accusations though. Perhaps she'll speak up again once the appeal is heard.
Back to tuk tuk drivers - A Chinese tourist was jailed a few years ago for making false rape accusations against a tuk tuk driver, she got a year and a half sentence if i remember right.

Sure, and the Chinese girl framing the two danish guys in Chiangmai. Etc etc
Stuff happens and in the meantime constructive detective work would get closer to the truth. Innocent til proven.

Archived