BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

University teaching shows why Thais' command of English is so abysmal!

Just now, NextStationBangkok said:

ThaiVisa or Thairath thinks, as of whole world is fluent in English, except Thailand.

Atleast Thai's know how to take care English speaking husbands, that is already good enough!

:passifier::passifier::passifier::stoner:

Re. the second para. - yes.

But we're talking about students looking for an education in English to help their career.....

20 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Seems like an odd mistake for people that spoke "impeccable English"?

That's why I mentioned it,  because it is very odd.  What isn't odd is that  people don't correct them.

poor english language ability is just another symptom of the root cause. same root cause that produces challenged global competency (being polite in wording)

9 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Re. the second para. - yes.

But we're talking about students looking for an education in English to help their career.....

If you ask anyone learning English, what do you want be in the future, like parrots they will say -"I want to mall(rr)y falang".

3 hours ago, jpinx said:

There are so many versions of English (Spanish also) that it is hard to know where to set the standard, but there is no doubt that most Thai "English Teachers" are hard pressed to have a conversation in English with a native UK English speaker.

What? There are no versions of English. English is English. There are some slight differences on some words and some local slang but mostly it is purely accent, nothing more.

From what I observe thai people have a better grasp then the press would have you believe. Of course if you speak too fast then it can be a problem for some but generally its ok for basic things everyday.

However, neighbouring countries such as Singapore, Malaysia and particularly the Philippines are light years away with English language skills.

3 hours ago, jpinx said:

There are so many versions of English (Spanish also) that it is hard to know where to set the standard, but there is no doubt that most Thai "English Teachers" are hard pressed to have a conversation in English with a native UK English speaker.

In Vietnam I got to know receptionist at my hotel fairly well. and he spoke fairly good English. Had a cockney guest for a bit, couldn't make heads or tails of what guest was saying... "I think I speak English pretty well, but I don't understand any of what he says" he admitted. I said "Don't worry, I don't either" (Being a yank and all....). There are native speakers and then  there are native speakers.

Just now, NextStationBangkok said:

If you ask anyone learning English, what do you want be in the future, like parrots they will say -"I want to mall(rr)y falang".

Please stop confusing prostitutes with those looking to have a career with which being able to speak English would be an advantage.

And please (also) don't reply that those saying "I want to mall(rr)y falang" are in the same category.

6 minutes ago, Johnniey said:
28 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Seems like an odd mistake for people that spoke "impeccable English"?

That's why I

The use of ever as in "I ever been to Scotland" is fairly common in Asia, Singaporeans say it too.

As weird as it sounds, ever is ever listed as an antonym of never.

http://englishthesaurus.net/antonym/never

http://www.synonym.com/synonyms/never

My Thai Wife, whose level of spoken English is quite good, but not to a standard of teaching the subject, was asked to be a Lecturer in English Language at the local University.  She was asked to teach English using "The psychological development of the human being" as the vehicle for English conversation.  The consequence of this is the Students ended up learning two quite complex subjects simultaneously, neither of which was done particularly well.  My Wife was then invited to mark the exam papers of the Students!  They all passed, mainly due to being awarded additional marks for regular attendance.

an extremely common error is "I'm work" I'm live" and they dont seem to learn and correct the error.

The blame game needs to stop. It serves no useful purpose. If you want to learn a language the obvious way is to get lessons from a qualified native speaker of the language you wish to learn.

Thailand as yet does not have a solid position within the International trade market which is partly due to the lack of conversational English plus of course the quality of some of the products they try to sell.

A solid manufacturing base will inevitably lead to a more serious attitude towards learning English, but that would appear to be some way off at this point in time.

4 hours ago, jpinx said:

Unfortunately that is true and even more amazing is that native English teachers are sidelined when it comes to exams, they rather have the Thai English version which most if not all are very badly set out and they also have many ,many mistakes. When questioned the stock answer, depends on what the examiner was thinking................Total B/S that is why after 10 years I stopped teaching , you can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drinkl, likewise Thai students you can teach them but you cannot make them learn and in todays educational culture in Thailand  everyone passes even the stupid ones.