BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

University teaching shows why Thais' command of English is so abysmal!

Four pages of comments and not a single commentator has thought to mention the

abysmal translations of Thai to English in most any dictionary or reference material.  As an example, Thais invariably cannot make an R sound to save their life, but looking at any written reference to translated Thai you will find an abundance of words that use "R" in the translation.  How would one even make that mistake if one was educated properly in both languages?

In addition, American English is used worldwide as the learning and speaking standard for Business (sorry Brits), but clearly most transliteration is done in what we call "old English".  Not only would this be confusing to an English speaking person, but imagine what is does to a Thai learning English.

Lastly, from the number of grammatical and spelling mistakes I see every day on Thai Visa, most of us would be quite unqualified to make a claim to speaking or writing perfect English, and even worse when attempting Thai, written or verbal.  Bashing Thais for their unacceptable language skills is absurd.  How many English speaking expats do you think can read or speak Thai fluently?  I'd bet on a percentage basis not many.

2 hours ago, rijb said:

And you probably call them "yanks".  Which would get you shot in the Deep South.  

The Louisiana guys I worked with called me a Yank and I am from  Canada!

23 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Which is particularly depressing as there are so many native English speaking people here :sad:.

It really shouldn't be that hard to check with someone who actually speaks English.

It may well have changed, but some years ago, it was illegal for a foreigner (let's assume a native English speaker, for our purposes) to proof read here in Thailand.

It was a Reserved Occupation, but, I reiterate, that "may" have changed.

2 hours ago, Johnniey said:

What is it a technical/vocational college?

I worked in a Thai university for over 10 years and all the teachers in the English department spoke impeccable English as many of them had PhD's from English universities. They had all studied to a Master's degree level abroad. 

The only mistake I often heard was that they used "ever" as in "I ever been to Spain".

Who cares if the Thai word "koy" is misspelled? I know many so called Thai speakers who think this word means "have" or "used to", as in "I have been there", "I have eaten it before". 

There was even a poster here years ago called, "ajarn", who had been learning Thai for many years didn't know this Thai word meaning "not very".

But go ahead all you people living in Thailand, who can't communicate in Thai, and criticize the Thais ability at speaking English as after all they should, shouldn't they?

If they are not interested in a well paid career in engineering, science or medicine then for sure there is no reason for them to learn english.

That, the teacher says is because "penis" means "urination" (transliterated as "piss" in the Thai letters.

There English is so bad because they where never taking to an really NES teacher.

Where are your're badroom?   

I was surprised to find that a waitress, in a restaurant that I frequent here in Chiang Mai, spoke excellent English and understood it even when spoken pretty fast. In the end I asked her where she had leaned to speak the language so well.

Answer: "at school".

I replied  "Here in Chiang Mai?".

"No in Burma, where I was brought up" she answered.

I have noticed that the Burmese do seem to speak stunningly good English compared to the Thais.

The most effective learning is self generated. A motivated student will learn, almost on his own. Most Thai students are lazy and apathetic. 

1 hour ago, LawrenceN said:

My wife (who is Thai) got her doctorate from the University of Missouri (where we met) and taught ESL in Wisconsin public schools for 20 years. She could never understand my friend Bob who is from somewhere east of Liverpool. Sorry, that's the best I can do. The geography of England is not my strong suit, never been there.

Nobody understands scoucers (Liverpudlians ) not even other ones

4 hours ago, Ceruhe said:

Nothing everybody already knows about, next.

Jeez, your English as is bad as the professor's!  LOL

:sleep:

1 hour ago, pookiki said:

What does your passport say?

The United kingdom of great Britain and northern Ireland

8 minutes ago, paulbj2 said:

I was surprised to find that a waitress, in a restaurant that I frequent here in Chiang Mai, spoke excellent English and understood it even when spoken pretty fast. In the end I asked her where she had leaned to speak the language so well.

Answer: "at school".

I replied  "Here in Chiang Mai?".

"No in Burma, where I was brought up" she answered.

I have noticed that the Burmese do seem to speak stunningly good English compared to the Thais.

Because they used to be British.

It's not just Thailand that has dubious teachers of English. My French girlfriend's father bought a really expensive English course and he couldn't understand why, when I looked at it, I couldn't stop laughing. It contained such unforgettable gems as:

"We breakfasted upon boiled leg of mutton..."

and perhaps the best:

"I fear the weather may be inclement today, perhaps we should take our waterproofs"

Who, today, uses "to breakfast" as a verb

1 hour ago, naiharn said:

Who cares? Presumably Thais studying at university who expect Thai text not to contain careless mistakes (even if that is a forlorn hope for text in English).

Also, the (presumably foreign) people living in Thailand, who, according to you, can't communicate in Thai, are not being paid to teach the Thai language at University level.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.