Garden Mulcher Chipper in Thailand

David B in Thailand

In my quest to eliminate burning dead leaves and tree branches on my wife's Isaan village land I looked into electric garden shredder mulchers and petrol mulcher chippers. Today I picked up a TruYard chipper mulcher that is made by an Australian firm in a Thailand factory.  Seems the the Truyard CM95 is also branded as the Yardeco Recycler 4000, but has identical specifications. Thursday afternoon I'll travel to the village to see how my wife and her family operate this 13.5hp garden chipper. It was demonstrated for me in Buriram and is not quiet. I will trade noise over burning in a Thailand village hands down. If we can obtain some decent mulch and enrich the soil that is a bonus. The electric garden mulchers shredders were cheaper but could not handle the 4 inch tree branches as the petrol chipper mulcher did with dispatch.  This chipper seems to be built to a higher standard than the green garden mulchers I tested in Thailand. 

Thailand Briggs Stratton Garden Mulcher Chipper.JPG

I could have paid 89,900 baht in Buriram for a MacBook Pro with a 15" screen or 39,500 baht at Studio 7 in Buriram for a iPhone 7 Plus with 256gb.  Instead I paid 63,900 baht cash in Buriram at a Builders Merchants Store that sells Honda lawn mowers and Metabo Power Tools.  The TruYard CM95 will outlast and better serve my wife than an iPhone in my opinion. I will have her drop through some cassava to see if that is a suitable feature of this wood chipper and garden mulcher. There were four prices offered at Ruangsangthai Hardware in Buriram when I bought the Briggs & Stratton electric Start chipper, mulcher shredder. I could have paid less if I only had selected 13.5hp 4 stroke engine with recoil start.  They had less expensive TruYard chippers which had less powerful Honda Engines or Briggs & Stratton engines attached. 

Thailand Garden Mulcher Branch Chipper.jpg

Thailand medium Branch Chipper Garden Mulcher.jpg

I live on 6 rai with large gardens and a lot of bourganvillia, and we are always burning

This equipment seems to me the business, I would want solid tyres as we used to get too many punctures in the barrows from the thorns on the bourganvilla

I would probably choose a Thai made engine, or is the Briggs and Stratton engine made here in thailand

I had a chipper in the UK and 13.6HP is good too have

Yes very nice

My wife has been busy baby sitting Isaan relatives who have children visiting from Denmark. I'll make it to her Buriram village and see the TruYard CM65 Garden Chipper Mulcher in action this weekend. I spotted a compact 5hp TruYard garden mulcher in Buriram which was priced at 29,990 baht when I picked up a modified Briggs & Stratton village style grass mower. 

Thailand Mulcher Chipper Briggs Stratton.jpg

Buriram Surin Briggs Stratton Large Wheel Lawn Grass Mower.jpg

Sunday I was in the Buriram village and see the TruYard Garden Mulcher had been operated by my relatives to use as a tree branch shipper. So far it has worked fine according to my wife. I did not buy my TruYard  garden mulcher in Bangkok. I was able to see it on display and buy it in person in Buriram at a Builders Merchants store that also delivers locally and to all provinces in Thailand. My family stated the 13.5hp engine started easily with the key and is powerful enough for up to 90mm tree branches. 

Thailand Garden Mulcher Chipper Shredder.jpg

Thailand Garden Chipper Mulcher Delivery.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

New Year's Day 2017 in rural Thailand and what better activity than to make garden mulch from dead vegetation, palm tree branches and other trees. My wife takes safety as serious as any Thai village person. The TruYard Garden Mulcher made fast work of many tree branches and barrels of garden waste. The mulch is now mixed into soil and kitchen waste for a compost for the vegetable and fruit garden in our Buriram Village Home garden. I understand this Honda or Briggs & Stratton 4 stoke Garden Mulcher is delivered to any province in Thailand. I've met an Australian who has been twice to the headquarters of TruYard in Perth, Australia. The selling price in Australia is much higher than I paid in Buriram, Thailand for this garden tree branch chipper.  I bought the key start model and it has proven in the past few weeks to be flawless. 

Thailand isaan Garden Chipper Mulcher.JPG

Thailand Wood Tree Branch Chipper.JPG

Thailand TruYard Garden Mulcher.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Paruk said:

We bought the CM65 and are not yet sure about it after 5 hours of mulching with it. Knifes seem to get very fast dull.

Like with brush cutters may have to resharpen often 5hrs sounds OK to me

My wife has not complained about dull knives in all the times she has used the TruYard CM95 at her Isaan village home.  Yesterday I viewed a brand new USA manufactured Troy Bilt Garden Chipper Shredder with a 11.5hp Briggs & Stratton Engine at a Buriram Builders Merchants Store near the PEA office. That store did not yet have a price on the machine as it had only arrived on Monday. The two year warranty caught my eye. Seems to me that more than Chinese no name junk is available in Thailand for an expat home owner to consider. I asked Mr. Pichai about blades for the CM95 Garden Mulcher Chipper and he had such in stock. 

Thailand Troy Bilt Garden Shredder Chipper Made in USA.jpg

Paruk:  I am not one to disagree with fellow Thailand forum members.  However I check the providence of this Troy Bilt Chipper, Shredder, Mulcher. I was able to run the serial number by Mr. Blair Cook of MTD Products sales in Australia. I looked at the model number and serial number on the Troy Bilt 24B-424M766 with the Briggs & Stratton 11.5hp engine that is on show in Buriram Thailand. The Cardboard box from Westrock was manufactured in the same town that the Troy Bilt garden chipper | Shredder is manufactured: Tupelo, Mississippi.  I have bought a Troy Bilt TB280ES electric start lawn mower from the same Buriram Builders Merchants store and I was confident that lawn mower is made in the same factory. 

Thailand Troy Bilt Serial Number from USA.jpg

Box and Troy Bilt Chipper Mulcher made in Tupelo Mississippi.jpg

Thailand troy Bilt Briggs Stratton Chipper Shredder.JPG

Can not agree more with Paruks comment, 

When OP said Briggs and Stratton Engine my first thoughts were good American engine but long time ago, most relevant question is what are the spare parts like to get

I do like honda engines, they generally keep the quality regardless of where manufactured, and the ones from Thailand are very OK, but avoid at your peril, chinese spare parts, that repair outfits here try to use, they destroy what was a good engine, I talk from experience

I'm sorry but I need to inform everyone Paruk is ill informed regarding the Troy-Bilt Chipper Shredder.  Troy-Bilt is a part of the MTD family of brands.  MTD is one of the largest manufacturers of outdoor power equipment in the world.  I am the Managing Director for MTD's Asia Pacific business and I can assure everyone Paruk is incorrect in regards to his comments on this specific product.  

This product is manufactured and assembled in Tupelo, MS, USA.  The metal is stamped in Tupelo, fabrication is done in Tupelo, painting is done in Tupelo, and final assembly is done in Tupelo.  The product was also designed in the USA for use in the USA so any comments to the contrary are false and not fact based.

MTD makes thousands of different products and can't have unique designations for every product produced in the USA so please don't draw any incorrect conclusions from "assembled in USA from US and Global components" on this specific product.  MTD does make product in China at it's wholly owned manufacturing facility but this product was not built there and the China facility does not supply parts or components for this product. 

You can certainly find many knock-off variations either copied by Chinese manufacturers or unauthorized distributors who purchased abroad which should only give everyone confidence in the product since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 

22 minutes ago, Paruk said:

Even the B&S engine is made in China these days. Until then, those machines are assembled from Chinese parts as far as I'm concerned. And knock offs are found much cheaper on Alibaba.

I find this all very interesting, and comments like the Briggs and Stratton engine is made in China, is what I believe to be the case, and hence when the original poster said he had a B&S engine I really wonderer

On the basis the above is correct I would favor the Honda engine, they as a global player do seem to be able to maintain quality control

I have owned a Honda Brush cutter for more than 10 years. I have never had a problem getting genuine Honda spare parts in Buriram at a Honda power products authorized dealer. Spare parts are brutal to get from some companies in my personal experience in Issan. However some stores have staff who understand the need for real parts and will order genuine parts if paid in advance. The Honda HRJ216K2 self propelled lawn mower is a popular lawn mower in Asia. It is built in a Honda assembly plant in China. I see Briggs & Stratton brush cutters that clearly state made in China. But the Troy Bilt Chipper I posted is made in Tupelo, Mississippi. You are welcome to come to Buriram to see both the Honda Brush Cutters (made in Thailand), the TruYard Mulcher Chipper made in Thailand, Honda water pumps made in Thailand, Honda petrol generators made in China, Troy Bilt TB280ES lawn mower made in Tupelo, Mississippi.  I own several of the above items and am confident of the providence of the place of manufacture. I have never ordered from Alibaba as too many fellow expats have told me tales of woe and misrepresentation by the sellers on alibaba. I believe the store matters where you buy "genuine" items in Thailand. If the store buys direct from Honda Power Products and can give you a phone number of the Honda sales manager or introduce you to the Honda sales manager chances are the products in that store and spare parts are genuine. Same deal on how the store can contact MTD for you and offer genuine parts from Troy Bilt.  They can let you see the actual boxes and where the boxes were made. Certainly I appreciate a store that will bring a Honda powered soil compactor to my land and demonstrate it for me or my friends. 

Buriram isaan Thailand Chipper Mulcher Shredder.JPG

Buriram Isaan Honda Lawn Mower Snapper Brush Cutter.JPG

Isaan Honda Buriram Ground Compactor Delivery.jpg

I am seriously considering a chipper, I used to have one in the Uk

I contacted Truyard in Bangkok but never got a reply

The Troybuilt if from the USA must be overpriced vs the Truyard, because of shipping costs and import tariffs

I would need solid wheels we have too much bourganvillia that plays havoc with pneumatic wheels

I would want 13/15 Honda engine

Electric start not sure  ?

I would be amazed if that lightweight machine wasn't getting constantly blocked and seized and that the frustrated operator spends more time trying to clear wood jammed in the blades than actually doing any meaningful chipping.  The only ones that work are about 6 times bigger and are towed by truck.

Interesting I thought the Briggs and Stratton Would be more expensive

Chippers can easily get blocked, hence I would go for the biggest but not expect to deal with 10 cms but be easy on 5cm

I have to be careful I do not talk myself into buying !

Buririam quite a drive from KhonKaen, so maybe stay safe, is the lady included with the machine, no doubt if one asked could be arranged

1 hour ago, Paruk said:

Well then, be amazed! The Tru Yard CM65 is doing its work without getting constantly blocked and seized. The knifes get dull after about 5 hours of chipping (but it was mainly hardwood branches like Pradoo and some other hardwood kinds) and you can simply replace it with a spare one while the other is sharpened (I will do that myself). I'm pretty sure the CM90 and CM 95 will do better with 2 knifes instead of the 1 only in the CM65.

After running the Tru Yard CM65 for about 8 hours in total now, the only thing I have to say about it is the knifes get dull rather fast. But change it and it works perfect.

The ones behind the truck are for much larger branches and tree trunks.

Are you are saying you ran that lightweight for 8 hours and it didn't jam lurrr? 

6 hours ago, Tilacme said:

I would be amazed if that lightweight machine wasn't getting constantly blocked and seized and that the frustrated operator spends more time trying to clear wood jammed in the blades than actually doing any meaningful chipping.  The only ones that work are about 6 times bigger and are towed by truck.

I too would be amazed - I don't know the physics of it but in my experience, small chippers just don't work effectively enough to be economically viable as in the time and effort it takes for them to produce the chip.  Big chippers are suitable for small branches as well as bigger ones.

3 hours ago, Paruk said:

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying!

Ah but depends what it is shredding, dried leaves may be, but jamming always a potential problem if used at max capacity, 8 hrs working going to produce massive pile of chippings, and use a lot of fuel

20 hours ago, piersbeckett said:

I too would be amazed - I don't know the physics of it but in my experience, small chippers just don't work effectively enough to be economically viable as in the time and effort it takes for them to produce the chip.  Big chippers are suitable for small branches as well as bigger ones.

Correct!

Someone here either has a vested interest or are fantasying.

21 hours ago, Paruk said:

Sounds you better don't visit the beach. The sound of the howling wind through your hollow skull would scare the others there.

At least they are not going to bothered by the noise of your lightweight chipper as it will be jammed.

Archived