Floating in the sea - swanky new Bangkok buses bobbing up and down on a ship as scandal deepens

webfact

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Looks like the buses were shipped to Malaysia,to have a few bits bolted on,

then re exported to Thailand and declared made in Malaysia,to pay less tax

and duties,looks like the plan has back fired,badly.

regards worgeordie

This is general practice of most companies in Asia. Some even just fix the final logo and claim it is made in xxx country, after the whole thing comes from China. Anyhow Chinese products doesn't last longer. Probably their running time is just 5 years rather than good quality ones can be operated for 15-20 years.

i hope they sought it out after all who looses,:smile: the minions in bkk,surely some agreement can be reached whether made in malaysia or china i'm sure there a serviceable item and somebody who wields power should make an executive decision.

When they bought the skytrains from Siemens there were also many issues with the payments. 

This sets Thailand back to an very undeveloped country which even can't buy some buses or trains, but not loosing face!

We also had the 300 firetrucks who are still rotting away on a field.

Just stop with that whole importtax thing or mr Trump and later Europe might give it back to them....better stop now since it's blocking the development of the whole nation.

1 hour ago, eddie61 said:

Funny little people, all of them probably crooks, trying to get their snout in the trough.

Hilarious!!!

Funny little BIG people back in '08 whose greed nearly created a world-wide financial melt-down.

Face it, when it comes to corruption, these 'little people' are still amateurs.

6 hours ago, waldroj said:

"...Floating in the sea - swanky new Bangkok buses bobbing up and down on a ship as scandal deepens..."

Before it deepens any further, BMTA should simply pocket the ฿330 million security deposit and the buses thrown into the sea and create an artificial reef.

Seems an appropriate outcome for a "bottom of the harbour" scheme !!!

Nah, just take the buses put them to good use and keep the 330 million until the whole sordid mess is cleaned up and the perpetrators of this scam are jailed.

The bus brand is Sunlong.  A Chinese bus manufacturer in Shenzen.  The yellow buses on BKK's streets are the same brand, as are many of the tour coaches seen across Thailand these days.

The 40% of parts and assembly being from Malaysia therefore sounds very dubious.

So after all the fanfare of "new clean buses as Happy New Year Gift" to the capital - looks like they will be parked up pending dispute & legal resolution for who knows how long...!

3 hours ago, peterrabbit said:

Lesson to all Asean companies thinking of supplying goods to Thai Government controlled entities:-    DON'T !

Lesson to all ASEAN companies thinking of trying to rip off Thailand by reselling made in China goods as their own, in order to get tax breaks:- DON'T!

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

Describing all male Thais as Somchai is a racist term that I am seeing way too often on TV.

I don't agree, it's like calling all westerners a fallang...everybody has a man named Somchai in his street so it's an easy word to name the Thai...nothing racist or whatever, just easy.

I don't care being called a fallang, hear it all day long as soon as i pass some Thai.

19 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Lesson to all ASEAN companies thinking of trying to rip off Thailand by reselling made in China goods as their own, in order to get tax breaks:- DON'T!

Next time Thailand calls abroad to place a big order they will say: ohhh Thailand, mai mee krab, mod leow.

It's like Volvo refusing to sell them the buses, they don't want to be involved into a corruption scandal.

6 hours ago, Bobobirdiebuddy said:

When it comes to any big purchase like this, the bureaucrats just can't help themselves - apparently graft and corruption is just in their nature or so it seems..

"Some People"....... have to be paid or they will not sign off.

Cheers

“Thailand is a democratic country and adheres to free trade.”

The Great Leader 3rd June 2016

I was so shocked when I heard this nonsense by “the self-appointed one”  on Thai TV  that I checked my dictionary  in case I had misunderstood the meaning of the phrase “free trade”

I had not!

Free trade is : “international buying and selling of goods, without limits on the amount of goods that one country can sell to another, and without special taxes on the goods bought from a foreign country.”

Which part of the words"free trade" do Thais not understand?

15 minutes ago, mrjohn said:

“Thailand is a democratic country and adheres to free trade.”

The Great Leader 3rd June 2016

I was so shocked when I heard this nonsense by “the self-appointed one”  on Thai TV  that I checked my dictionary  in case I had misunderstood the meaning of the phrase “free trade”

I had not!

Free trade is : “international buying and selling of goods, without limits on the amount of goods that one country can sell to another, and without special taxes on the goods bought from a foreign country.”

Which part of the words"free trade" do Thais not understand?

I agree but it's the same in Europe, free trade without borders but don't bring a truck full of liquor or fuel over the border cause you'll go to jail for long time.

Strange thing is that people don't stand up and fight for their rights...In Europe they accept it.

Archived