West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
whu's fans think they are a big club?

Loads of West Ham fans go on about being a big club in forums and in a number of ways we are, though obviously not one of the big guns. It seems to matter to many whether we are bigger than Tottscum, though I don't think they matter.

Funnily enough, arguments over who is the bigger club are usually with fans of giants like Bolton or Portsmouth, who I think of as being more on a par with Norwich or Coventry and who want to be seen as big clubs.

all these are bigger clubs than whu,the big 4,newcasle,aston villa,spurs,everton,man city,sunderland and leeds(with a half decent side)

Depends on your criteria, but I wouldn't have Sunderland in there. Having a 50k stadium doesn't mean you're a big club, esp if you struggle to fill it, and nor does winning the league pre-war.

And West Ham took considerable more fans to Palermo in the UEFA cup this year.

whu's fans think they are a big club?

Loads of West Ham fans go on about being a big club in forums (yeah when talking to orient & milwall ) and in a number of ways we are, though obviously not one of the big guns. It seems to matter to many ( well in this case the many are deluded ) whether we are bigger than Tottscum, though I don't think they matter.

Funnily enough, arguments over who is the bigger club are usually with fans of giants like Bolton or Portsmouth, who I think of as being more on a par with Norwich or Coventry and who want to be seen as big clubs.

For me westham are at best a premiership make up side. The majority of the time in the premiership they will be flirting in the lower half and in very good times could possibly push for a eufa cup spot or get lucky in a cup.

all these are bigger clubs than whu,the big 4,newcasle,aston villa,spurs,everton,man city,sunderland and leeds(with a half decent side)

Depends on your criteria, but I wouldn't have Sunderland in there. Having a 50k stadium doesn't mean you're a big club, esp if you struggle to fill it, and nor does winning the league pre-war.

Sunderland have a larger fan base than WHU.

Sunderland have a larger fan base than WHU.

How can you prove this. Look at their average attendences when they have been struggling , How many hardcore fans stay with this club during these times, not as many as West Ham. How many fans have they got outside their area.? West Ham have a large support around the globe as visiting a number of their websites would indicate. Apart from 1973 what can you remember about their history. We produced the core of the World cup winning squad in '66, as well as numerous internationals since then. How many Sunderland players have played for England. Then compare this with West Ham who got bigger crowds in the 'championship-' when struggling for a play-off spot- than Chelsea on Champions league nights. They frequently sell out their ground and are about to build a 60,000 stadium. However being a big club is more than numbers it's about tradition, producing players that people will remember decades into the future :o .

For me westham are at best a premiership make up side. The majority of the time in the premiership they will be flirting in the lower half and in very good times could possibly push for a eufa cup spot or get lucky in a cup.

In the past that's probably been the case though I think we're quite high in the table of clubs that have spent the most time in the top division. We actually have quite a large fan base, but have been held back by lack of ambition at board level and have gradually grown to the size were at now. We should now be on the verge of a relative golden era under the new owners, who are wealthier and more ambitious than we are used to.

:o :

I couldn't help but chortle. Most of those Clubs are about the same as West Ham, others (AV and Totts) just think that they are big Clubs.

If it's the size of stadia that is your criteria, then please sir, can we also be called a big Club when we get our new one? :D

The humour's coming thick and fast today :o

Although to be fair (first sentence apart) I'd even take mid-table mediocrity after last seasons roller-coaster ride. My blood pressure needs settling down a bit.

But , I fully expect us to be in the top ten next season. But you know - I really would hate our supporters to become just another bunch of glory hunters. Even if the younger ones need to be educated in the West Ham way and not demand instant gratification.

We'll keep the soul of our Club, ta very much. And - as always - kick a few of the big <deleted> along the way.

:o :

I couldn't help but chortle. Most of those Clubs are about the same as West Ham, others (AV and Totts) just think that they are big Clubs.

If it's the size of stadia that is your criteria, then please sir, can we also be called a big Club when we get our new one? :D

All those clubs are historically bigger than us at some time, but haven't necessarily sustained it. As for Leeds, have to smile :D

One thing I'm happy and proud to claim is that for nearly 50 years, we have at least tried to play a certain, entertaining, way. Often we've been shit and/or relegated, but have stuck to a principle regardless of how unfashionable it was.

the reason whu dont have a 50k stadium is because whu dont have 50k fans.with a half decent team in the premier league sunderland will get 45-48000.last season best gate 44500 against burnley who cotributed 200-300.can remember about 7 year ago we played reading on a wet tuesday night in jan in the now championship could not get in 41000(before ground extended).about the same time went to watch the reserves play liverpool reserves the attendance that night 33500(but the sun was shining).question is do whu have 41000 fans.you must also take into account the shit sunderland fans have had to watch over the years,its a wonder they have any fans,where as whu although up and the same as s/land they have always had a bit of light at the end of the tunnel,or some promising players cole,lampard,defoe etc,s/land had nothing.only when whu get a bigger ground will we be able to know if they have a big following,and even then with the amount of local derbys this should ensure full houses for these games.

the reason whu dont have a 50k stadium is because whu dont have 50k fans... when whu get a bigger ground will we be able to know if they have a big following,and even then with the amount of local derbys this should ensure full houses for these games.

We don't have 50,000 supporters :o

That's almost too bizarre a claim to answer.

I can assure you that our following runs into far more than that. Probably 100,000, up. But of course that doesn't mean that everyone goes to games.

When the new ground is built in three years (capacity 50-60,00 ?) then I'd expect something over 40,000 for average home games and easily a full ground for derbies and big games . But to say that we don't have 50,000 supporters shows a woeful lack of knowledge about West Ham, our fan base and appeal.

Our present ground is more or less full every game despite us having a shit season and having to pay rather a lot to get in. I'll get a season ticket next season, but this year I was paying £46-56 depending on the opposition, which I think is over the top.

If the new ground in West Ham proper is built, the transport links will be better (and no walk down Green St, yay) and no more 1/4 mile queue for the tube. Will miss the Indian food places near the ground though.

I think a 60k ground would rarely, if ever fill. Maybe for a cup quarter final v Spuds (spit). But a 50k with a decent team and reasonable ticket prices is do-able.

I'm not sure of what the ST hike is next season - but there is one for sure. I'm waiting on my info pack. Next week probably.

Still not sure how many we'll actually draw. Although I'm still pretty confident that we could easily pull 40,000 on most match days.

But, whatever,transport at the new ground down the road certainly needs to be sorted. It takes me an hour to drive from the Boleyn to the Romford Rd on match days ! Probably park near Newham General next season instead of opposite the ground.

But I'm still pretty confident that we could easily draw 40,000 on most match days.

Good news I'd say for West Ham.. not a bad player on his day in my opinion:

Benayoun signs new West Ham deal

West Ham midfielder Yossi Benayoun has signed a new five-year contract.

The 27-year-old had been linked with a move to Portsmouth but has committed himself to the Hammers until 2012.

The Israel international told West Ham's website: "From the first moment I arrived, West Ham felt like home to me. We have the best supporters in England.

"The chairman is ambitious and I want to thank him because the negotiations were very quick. He and the manager showed me they wanted me to stay."

Chairman Eggert Magnusson said: "We are very ambitious and Yossi is a big part of our plans. I'm very pleased to have agreed terms to keep him at the Club for five more years.

"We are looking forward to bringing in exciting new signings but we must also make sure we keep hold of the hugely talented players we already have."

Seaon ticket prices for 07-08

Season TicketsAdult

U-16

U-10

OAP/Young Adult

Band 1

£850

£255

£110

£425

Band 2£780

£230

£110

£390

Band 3

£725

£215

£110

£360

Band 4

£595

£175

£110

£295

Restricted view

£665

£205

£110

£330

No direct quotes and no source for this c&p from WHO. But if true (and let's face it, it hardly comes as a shock) it does raise some questions. I personally think it's a shame because he obviously has great potential. I'm not going to jump on the NRC hate waggon here, but if he doesn't have , as I expect , the humility to hand over the captains armband to where I think it belongs. i.e with Lucas Neill then maybe- as some have said - he and the Totts deserve each other. Anyway...

NIGEL REO-COKER was told last night he has no future at West Ham.

The Hammers skipper can leave as long as any buyer meets the £8million asking price.

Boss Alan Curbishley is leading his clearout by axeing the team captain in a show of strength.

A host of players are expected to follow with keeper Roy Carroll, left-back Paul Konchesky and right-back John Pantsil already told they can go.

Hayden Mullins is one of several targets for Premiership rivals Reading,

Striker Teddy Sheringham, 41, has already left the Hammers, who are now tracking Liverpool’s Craig Bellamy, 27.

But they will have to cough up £12m to make Kop boss Rafa Benitez let him leave Anfield.

Aston Villa are also in the hunt but West Ham seem to hold the upper hand especially if Bellamy could be used as a makeweight should Liverpool firm up their interest in Hammers hitman Carlos Tevez.

Definitely staying at Upton Park is Israel midfielder Yossi Benayoun, 27. He has just signed a five-year contract.

ROB GREEN is set to be rewarded with a new deal at West Ham.

The England keeper, 27, helped Hammers beat the drop with five clean sheets in their last eight games.

Green has three years left on his current deal following his £2million move from Norwich in August.

Fellow stopper Roy Carroll, 29, has been given a free transfer after asking to leave Upton Park.

Some good news I think for all you hammers out there. The boy claims " he never felt wanted " , poor sod , how much cash does he get per week again ??? :D:D .

Reo-Coker demands Upton Park exit _42975245_reocoker203getty.jpg Reo-Coker does not want to stay at Upton ParkWest Ham captain Nigel Reo-Coker has handed in a transfer request, according to the player's advisor.

Hammers boss Alan Curbishley has told the 23-year-old midfielder he will listen to offers in the region of £8m.

Reo-Coker's advisor Tony Finnigan said: "I can confirm that Nigel has handed in a transfer request. I am surprised as captain he is being allowed to leave.

"At the end of the day he never felt wanted but I am sure he will have a bright future elsewhere."

Reo-Coker joined West Ham from Wimbledon in January 2004.

Tottenham, Arsenal, Aston Villa and Newcastle are expected to join the race to sign the England Under-21 international. p.s - your welcome to Bellamy :o .

This is of no suprise - as I wrote above, he and the Totts deserve each other.

NRC has massive potential but unfortunately has an 'attitude' which evokes a reaction. He's a great at fighter for the ball and going forward, but needs to stengthen other areas like his passing.

At West Ham he was far too young to take the captains armband, there was too much responsibility placed on his equally too willing shoulders.

I definately think that he's one for the future though. As arrogant a young tosspot as he can sometimes come accross as being.

As for Bellamy. Just another rumour amongst many others really. West Ham boards and the press are fair ablaze with them.

But he's another one that evokes a reaction. I'm not at all sure that Curbs does want him. But when he gets back from his holiday then we can then start dotting the 'i's about who we're really seriously in for.

You couldn't make it up. Well someone seems to have tried have tried :o

Next seasons teams and in and outs.

WHUFC

Green/ Stech/ Dudek

Roberto Carlos or shorey/ McCartney

Upson/ Ben Haim

Collins/ Gabbidon

Neill © / Young

Baines/ Reid

Noble/ Riquelme

Parker/ Mullins

Benayoun/ Barnes

Tevez/ Saviola/ Zamora

Ashton/ Viduka/ Bent

In

Dudek (free)

Carlos (free) or Shorey (3mill)

Ben Haim (free)

Young (2mill)

Baines (2mill+etherington) / Boa Morte

Riquulme (12mill)

Parker (will recieve 3mill and give NRC)

Barnes (3mill+Mears)

Saviola (free)

Viduka (free)

Bent (7mill+Harewood)

spent= 29million

out

Carroll (free)

Kochesky (3mill)

Mears (swap)

Ferdinand (6mill)

Dailly (free)

Sheringham (free)

Harewood (swap)

Etheringtonj (swap)

Cole (2mill)

Paintsil (2mill)

Coker (3mill+swap)

Newton (free)

receive 16million

other players to stay at club

spector

stokes

ephraim

Davenport

bowyer

tomkins

You couldn't make it up. Well someone seems to have tried have tried :D

Next seasons teams and in and outs.

WHUFC

Green/ Stech/ Dudek

Roberto Carlos or shorey/ McCartney

Upson/ Ben Haim

Collins/ Gabbidon

Neill © / Young

Baines/ Reid

Noble/ Riquelme

Parker/ Mullins

Benayoun/ Barnes

Tevez/ Saviola/ Zamora

Ashton/ Viduka/ Bent

In

Dudek (free)

Carlos (free) or Shorey (3mill)

Ben Haim (free)

Young (2mill)

Baines (2mill+etherington) / Boa Morte

Riquulme (12mill)

Parker (will recieve 3mill and give NRC)

Barnes (3mill+Mears)

Saviola (free)

Viduka (free)

Bent (7mill+Harewood)

spent= 29million

out

Carroll (free)

Kochesky (3mill)

Mears (swap)

Ferdinand (6mill)

Dailly (free)

Sheringham (free)

Harewood (swap)

Etheringtonj (swap)

Cole (2mill)

Paintsil (2mill)

Coker (3mill+swap)

Newton (free)

receive 16million

other players to stay at club

spector

stokes

ephraim

Davenport

bowyer

tomkins

Why on earth would the hammers want to keep Lee Bowyer ???? :D ........ :o .

Good question, scousemouse. I think he's crap. But merely as a squad player I suppose?

Anyway:

West Ham United could be set to make their first major signings of the summer within the next few days.

Alan Curbishley - supported by the biggest transfer warchest ever handed to a United manager - is ready to begin spending the millions given him by Chairman Eggert Magnusson, who has been in negotiations with a number of targets during the past fortnight.

The main target appears to be Newcastle captain Scott Parker, who is ready to return to London after just a year in the North East where he has failed to settle.

Parker - who previously worked under Curbishley at Charlton - is expected to replace Nigel Reo-Coker, who could be heading to St James Park in a swap deal although a number of other Premiership clubs - including Tottenham and Everton - are keeping tabs on the wantaway United midfielder.

Another target - Manchester City's Joey Barton - is thought to want a move to London, giving the Hammers the lead over other potential suitors such as Newcastle. The Hammers are thought to be looking at both Parker and Barton, rather than one or the other. Both are likely to cost around £8m.

Meanwhile Charlton's Darren Bent is currently mulling over offers from both West Ham United and Tottenham. Although Spurs can offer European football, Bent is thought to favour a move to Upton Park on the basis that he will play more first team football.

The Hammers are said to have offered a cash plus player deal, with either Marlon Harewood or Hayden Mullins likely to move to the Valley in return for Bent and around £8.5m.

Other players also thought to be in the frame are Reading left-back Nickey Shorey, Middlesbrough's Mark Viduka and Monaco's Yaya Toure - younger brother of Arsenal's Kolo Toure.

Rumours linking the Hammers with moves for Chelsea's Claude Makelele and Charlton's Luke Young are thought to be wide of the mark.

Mark Noble is in the 23 man squad for the next England under 21 match. Here are the other midfielders.

Midfielders

David Bentley (Blackburn Rovers)

Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham Hotspur)

James Milner (Newcastle United)

Mark Noble (West Ham United)

Nigel Reo-Coker (West Ham United)

Kieran Richardson (Manchester United)

Wayne Routledge (Tottenham Hotspur)

Some good talent in that England midfield. NRC should be there anymore though at 23.. And Tottscum players should be excluded as a disincentive to sign for them.

That's a good point about NRC'S age. How come?

But I think that if Pearce had anything about him then Noble and NRC should start because of their impressive end of season at West Ham. But I expect that Noble will come on as a sub at some stage ?

Some good talent in that England midfield. NRC should be there anymore though at 23.

I'm informed that he qualifies to play as he was under 21 when the tournament started.

That makes sense, but if he transfers to you-know-who, he should be excluded immediately.

Some good talent in that England midfield. NRC should be there anymore though at 23.

I'm informed that he qualifies to play as he was under 21 when the tournament started.

That makes sense, but if he transfers to you-know-who, he should be excluded immediately.

Nice to hear that we're on the verge of signing Scott Parker as he prefer us to the Totts :o

Archived