West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

I think Quashie has had some unfair flak and probably would have had a longer run in the side if Noble and NRC had not worked well together towards the end. He was also injured wasn't he? However while he's good at breaking up the play I don't have any confidence in him contributing as an attacking force. He's too slow and he doesn't have any real passing ability to make up for it. The worst thing, though is that he doesn't seem to fit in as a unit with the other midfielders, though this would have got better the longer he played with them. I hope he has a stormer next year and at least he didn't go down with his club this time :o but I think he'll be shipped out to Charlton or join one of the new boys next season. Mullins is a safer pair of hands, in case Parker or Noble are injured. Come On you Irons!

Surprising McCabe didn't use Quashie as evidence that we were meant to go down instead of them..

We could always sell him to McCabe for 5.5 million, a get well soon card and a years supply of Argentinian corn beef. :D

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some info on the new boy from Goal.com

Name Julien Faubert

DOB August 1st, 1983 in Le Havre

Height 1.80m

Weight 75kg

Position Central/right midfielder

Beginnings

Even though Julien Faubert was born in the northern town of Le Havre, he made his first senior footballing steps on the southern Côte d’Azur. And they were grand beginnings: he started as a central midfielder for AS Cannes, following in the footsteps of such prestigious stars as Zidane, Viera and Micoud.

Each was a tough act to follow, but Faubert proved a bright spark in what was a tough, physical league. Cannes may not have been promoted in either of Faubert's two campaigns, but his reliable performances saw Bordeaux - always on the lookout for a good bargain - acquire the player for the start of the 2004-05 season.

Faubert progresses

Bordeaux were in a period of rebuilding due to economic misfortune, and Faubert was to benefit by slotting straight into Michel Pavon's first eleven. He was not to disappoint, as much due to his versatility as his ability; he could either play centre-right, way out on the wing or even right-back at the Stade Chaban Delmas. He took to each role with gusto.

Indeed, his speed and physique made him a perfect wide player under Pavon, and also attracted the attention of the French national set-up. Still a young man, Faubert was a mainstay of the "Espoirs" (France U-21 squad) and took part in the European U-21 Championship of 2006. Playing in three matches, he in fact scored France's first goal in the narrow 3-2 semi-final defeat against the Netherlands, before receiving a red card.

Despite this sending off, he'd done enough in 13 international appearances to earn a full international call-up, and on August 16 2006, he lined up for Les Bleus for the first and so far only time. He rounded off a solid debut performance with a goal in the 2-1 win in Sarajevo against Bosnia.

To the future

During three years with Bordeaux, Faubert had gone from good to great, but he began to feel unhappy in Aquitaine. Reportedly refusing to train, Julien began to look for a move elsewhere. He was once on the verge of signing for Rangers, but eventually West Ham United won his services in a 9m euro (£6.1m) transfer.

As he signed his five year contract, he said, "I am very happy. For me, it was always a dream to play in the Premier League and today this dream becomes a reality. West Ham is a massive club and I'm delighted to be a part of it.

"Things have moved very quickly in the last few days. As soon as I heard West Ham wanted me, I was happy; I thought it was a very good opportunity... the president, Mr. Magnusson, is a man full of much ambition. I think that this will contribute to the success of West Ham and I'm delighted to be a part of this adventure," he continued.

Pros and Cons

Faubert's main attributed are his speed and physique - ideal for the rough-and-tumble of the Premiership. What's more, he offers utility to the team, being able to cover the entire right flank and the middle of the pitch with ease. Finally, he offers an extremely powerful shot.

If Faubert possesses flaws as a player, they focus around his temperament: he sometimes shows rage problems that he must overcome as he continues to mature. :o

article ends

Still we've had them before and I can't see Curbs standing fo much. Looks promising though.

Some info on the new boy from Goal.com

Name Julien Faubert

DOB August 1st, 1983 in Le Havre

Height 1.80m

Weight 75kg

Position Central/right midfielder

Beginnings

Even though Julien Faubert was born in the northern town of Le Havre, he made his first senior footballing steps on the southern Côte d'Azur. And they were grand beginnings: he started as a central midfielder for AS Cannes, following in the footsteps of such prestigious stars as Zidane, Viera and Micoud.

Each was a tough act to follow, but Faubert proved a bright spark in what was a tough, physical league. Cannes may not have been promoted in either of Faubert's two campaigns, but his reliable performances saw Bordeaux - always on the lookout for a good bargain - acquire the player for the start of the 2004-05 season.

Faubert progresses

Bordeaux were in a period of rebuilding due to economic misfortune, and Faubert was to benefit by slotting straight into Michel Pavon's first eleven. He was not to disappoint, as much due to his versatility as his ability; he could either play centre-right, way out on the wing or even right-back at the Stade Chaban Delmas. He took to each role with gusto.

Indeed, his speed and physique made him a perfect wide player under Pavon, and also attracted the attention of the French national set-up. Still a young man, Faubert was a mainstay of the "Espoirs" (France U-21 squad) and took part in the European U-21 Championship of 2006. Playing in three matches, he in fact scored France's first goal in the narrow 3-2 semi-final defeat against the Netherlands, before receiving a red card.

Despite this sending off, he'd done enough in 13 international appearances to earn a full international call-up, and on August 16 2006, he lined up for Les Bleus for the first and so far only time. He rounded off a solid debut performance with a goal in the 2-1 win in Sarajevo against Bosnia.

To the future

During three years with Bordeaux, Faubert had gone from good to great, but he began to feel unhappy in Aquitaine. Reportedly refusing to train, Julien began to look for a move elsewhere. He was once on the verge of signing for Rangers, but eventually West Ham United won his services in a 9m euro (£6.1m) transfer.

As he signed his five year contract, he said, "I am very happy. For me, it was always a dream to play in the Premier League and today this dream becomes a reality. West Ham is a massive club and I'm delighted to be a part of it.

"Things have moved very quickly in the last few days. As soon as I heard West Ham wanted me, I was happy; I thought it was a very good opportunity... the president, Mr. Magnusson, is a man full of much ambition. I think that this will contribute to the success of West Ham and I'm delighted to be a part of this adventure," he continued.

Pros and Cons

Faubert's main attributed are his speed and physique - ideal for the rough-and-tumble of the Premiership. What's more, he offers utility to the team, being able to cover the entire right flank and the middle of the pitch with ease. Finally, he offers an extremely powerful shot.

If Faubert possesses flaws as a player, they focus around his temperament: he sometimes shows rage problems that he must overcome as he continues to mature. :o

article ends

Still we've had them before and I can't see Curbs standing fo much. Looks promising though.

Thanks HH sounds like a bargain. He sounds like a hard nut who can hold his own, yet offer some skill and I suppose he must be quick to be out on the wing.Can fill in at right back as well, good if Lucas Neil goes down injured during the game. The only concern is the man's temper. and the lack of French speakers, as you mentioned earlier, in the club, though there's a rumour that somebody on the coaching staff scraped an 'O' level a few years ago. :D When Sebastien Schemmel (spelling?) played was he the lone Froggy? He was certainly Hammer of the year, only for his career to go into freefall the year after, This will surely happen to Tevez if he goes to Man Utd. :D Behold the curse of Hammer of the Year :D

Thanks HH sounds like a bargain. He sounds like a hard nut who can hold his own, yet offer some skill and I suppose he must be quick to be out on the wing.Can fill in at right back as well, good if Lucas Neil goes down injured during the game. The only concern is the man's temper. and the lack of French speakers, as you mentioned earlier, in the club, though there's a rumour that somebody on the coaching staff scraped an 'O' level a few years ago. :D When Sebastien Schemmel (spelling?) played was he the lone Froggy? He was certainly Hammer of the year, only for his career to go into freefall the year after, This will surely happen to Tevez if he goes to Man Utd. :D Behold the curse of Hammer of the Year :D

Blimey yeah, Archie Schemmel , there's name you don't see often remembered on WH sites. I wonder what happened to him after his spell at Pompey ? Re: the French speaking bit. He was playing at the same time as Freddie for a season wasn't he ?

I've often wondered about approaching the Club for a job teaching EFL (If Montfort was good enough for Thaksin :o)

Reckon that way I'd be a real ITK :D

What do you reckon on Bellamy as it looks like we'll be getting him ? Can't say that I rate him much. But if we lose Yossi then we might as well as someone coming in the other way. Although he's a a class above that waste of space Bowyer and that's for sure.

Thanks HH sounds like a bargain. He sounds like a hard nut who can hold his own, yet offer some skill and I suppose he must be quick to be out on the wing.Can fill in at right back as well, good if Lucas Neil goes down injured during the game. The only concern is the man's temper. and the lack of French speakers, as you mentioned earlier, in the club, though there's a rumour that somebody on the coaching staff scraped an 'O' level a few years ago. ;) When Sebastien Schemmel (spelling?) played was he the lone Froggy? He was certainly Hammer of the year, only for his career to go into freefall the year after, This will surely happen to Tevez if he goes to Man Utd. :D Behold the curse of Hammer of the Year :D

Blimey yeah, Archie Schemmel , there's name you don't see often remembered on WH sites. I wonder what happened to him after his spell at Pompey ? Re: the French speaking bit. He was playing at the same time as Freddie for a season wasn't he ?

I've often wondered about approaching the Club for a job teaching EFL (If Montfort was good enough for Thaksin :o )

Reckon that way I'd be a real ITK :o

What do you reckon on Bellamy as it looks like we'll be getting him ? Can't say that I rate him much. But if we lose Yossi then we might as well as someone coming in the other way. Although he's a a class above that waste of space Bowyer and that's for sure.

Bellamy eh, doesn't set the pace-maker racing but I'm prepared to over look his bellamyness if he gives 100 % wearing the old shirt and if doesn't get caught off-side too many times. :D:D The first thing we need to do is to take him down to a tattooist to cover that old cross he has on his arm. A great big castle and crossed hammers stamped on the top would go some way to appease the sceptical fan. :bah: The other fellow I think is more interesting Young Dribbling Cisse. I think he would be just the ticket and is younger than Bellend so could be more up for it. If they both came where would that leave Bobby Dazzler Zamora. I would like to see him start at the beginning of next season while Ashton gets his sea legs again.

As for EFL at the Boleyn, it's not a bad idea, while you're down there you do some remedial work on Curb's pronunciation during his press conferences. :bah: His flat delivery needs a bit of work, especially the stress and intonation. Whatever he does though, it seems to work. No idea what happened to Archie I might look him up on wikipedia or another site to find out. I wouldn't be surprised to see him roll up in Thailand before too long :D

The other fellow I think is more interesting Young Dribbling Cisse. I think he would be just the ticket and is younger than Bellend so could be more up for it. If they both came where would that leave Bobby Dazzler Zamora. I would like to see him start at the beginning of next season while Ashton gets his sea legs again.

Signed for Marseille ain't he? And the rumour roundabout goes around and around. Spinning my head around all this.

I'm not sure about Cisse anyway. Reckon that he'd turn up for training on a mobility scooter :D But I can see Bellamy being a definate asset. Well at least he can run at defences without breaking his leg every time. :D

As for EFL at the Boleyn, it's not a bad idea, while you're down there you do some remedial work on Curb's pronunciation during his press conferences. His flat delivery needs a bit of work, especially the stress and intonation. Whatever he does though, it seems to work.

That's just an expression of his pragmtic East London realism. Or does it signify that he's just boring ? :D

I was thinking about NRC's whinge about being "hung out to dry" at West Ham. And reflected , that wouldn't have been such a bad idea for 'Archie' in his post HOTY season. :o

I reckon that he'd be better off in the LOS too. Even playing for a club with the Chang beer logo. :D

Without seeing the documents themselves I couldn't begin to know were we stand on this one. If we still have a valid contract with Tevez then Man U have been illegally tapping him up. Eggy, as you know, has given a statement claiming he's ours with a contract, and because he hasn't commented recklessly like McCabe, Whelan and Fayed on what's been happening with the whole arbitration process, he doesn't come across as the loose-lipped type. He seems certain of his claim So was it a loan or a proper contract? Whatever it looks like it's going to be a carve up for the briefs. Maybe a 50/50 split could be on the cards. Thanks a lot Terence Brown it's about time you spoke up and explained your part in this mess. :o

I hope he does better for you lot than he did for us :o , and is Benayoun any good or what ??. I cant see a player who Liverpool only rate as 3.5 million pound being good enough to be a regular.

Maybe Rafa just want's to use him for europe ??

Bellamy completes West Ham move _42471410_benitezbellamy203.jpg Benitez was keen to offload BellamyLiverpool manager Rafael Benitez has confirmed that Craig Bellamy has completed a move to West Ham.

The Hammers are reported to have paid £8m for the Wales international on a four-year deal on £75,000 a week.

Benitez also confirmed that they have made an offer to sign West Ham's Yossi Benayoun which has been turned down.

"And any move for Benayoun to join us from West Ham will not be linked with the Bellamy sale. We have made an offer which has been rejected," Benitez said.

The Spaniard is however confident of landing the Israel midfielder next week.

He added: "He is a player I like and would want to sign, and I believe he wants to join us, but that deal will be separate now. We will have to wait and see what happens now next week."

West Ham had attempted to use Benayoun as a straight swap for Bellamy, but Liverpool consider him to be worth around £3.5m, and that offer has been rejected by the Hammers.

Bellamy has fallen down the pecking order at Anfield following boss Rafael Benitez's summer signings of Fernando Torres and Andriy Voronin.

The Wales captain joined Liverpool from Blackburn for £6m in June 2006.

After starting his career with Norwich City, he has also had stints with Coventry City, Newcastle United, plus a loan spell at Celtic.

Bellamy scored nine goals in 42 appearances for the Reds. But the addition of £20m signing Torres this week means Liverpool have five senior strikers on their books - with Bellamy, Peter Crouch, Dirk Kuyt and fellow new-boy Voronin making up the total

I hope he does better for you lot than he did for us :D , and is Benayoun any good or what ??. I cant see a player who Liverpool only rate as 3.5 million pound being good enough to be a regular.

Bellamy completes West Ham move _42471410_benitezbellamy203.jpg Benitez was keen to offload BellamyLiverpool manager Rafael Benitez has confirmed that Craig Bellamy has completed a move to West Ham.

The Hammers are reported to have paid £8m for the Wales international on a four-year deal on £75,000 a week.

Benitez also confirmed that they have made an offer to sign West Ham's Yossi Benayoun which has been turned down.

"And any move for Benayoun to join us from West Ham will not be linked with the Bellamy sale. We have made an offer which has been rejected," Benitez said.

He added: "He is a player I like and would want to sign, and I believe he wants to join us, but that deal will be separate now. We will have to wait and see what happens now next week."

West Ham had attempted to use Benayoun as a straight swap for Bellamy, but Liverpool consider him to be worth around £3.5m, and that offer has been rejected by the Hammers.

Bellamy has fallen down the pecking order at Anfield following boss Rafael Benitez's summer signings of Fernando Torres and Andriy Voronin.

After starting his career with Norwich City, he has also had stints with Coventry City, Newcastle United, plus a loan spell at Celtic.

Bellamy scored nine goals in 42 appearances for the Reds. But the addition of £20m signing Torres this week means Liverpool have five senior strikers on their books - with Bellamy, Peter Crouch, Dirk Kuyt and fellow new-boy Voronin making up the total

Thanks for the C&P Scouse, I'm not jumping up and down for joy at the prospect Bellend coming to us, though I'm hard to please after we were spoilt with pretty boy Tevez last season. :D At least Belle is a proven scorer apart from the spell with you lot -though he was rotated a lot -which was probably too much for his ego. As for Benyoun I have to disagree with Parry's assessment of 3.5 million because he's worth at least as much as Bellamy. You'll probably find that WHUFC will hold out for a lot more or Yossi will stay with the club next season. Maybe the huge wedge spent on Torres and the plans for the new ground, has made your board skimp on transfer fees on other players. Anyway on his day he's a great asset because of his unpredictiblity: He's quick, he's agile scores a few goals -and when he's up for it- has a lot of determination.However he's also a bit lightweight and sometimes his loyalty can be questioned. He seemed to be having a hangover after the our FA cup loss last season( not the only one!) :o and went missing during the early part of the season. However he came storming back and was important in our overlooked 7 out 9 wins at the end. So on balance a good player but you'll have to dip your tight fists into your pocket for some more money, at least another 5.5 million. Parry owes us, of course :D

I hope he does better for you lot than he did for us :D , and is Benayoun any good or what ??. I cant see a player who Liverpool only rate as 3.5 million pound being good enough to be a regular.

Thanks for the C&P Scouse, I'm not jumping up and down for joy at the prospect Bellend coming to us, though I'm hard to please after we were spoilt with pretty boy Tevez last season. :bah: At least Belle is a proven scorer apart from the spell with you lot -though he was rotated a lot -which was probably too much for his ego. As for Benyoun I have to disagree with Parry's assessment of 3.5 million because he's worth at least as much as Bellamy. You'll probably find that WHUFC will hold out for a lot more or Yossi will stay with the club next season. Maybe the huge wedge spent on Torres and the plans for the new ground, has made your board skimp on transfer fees on other players. Anyway on his day he's a great asset because of his unpredictiblity: He's quick, he's agile scores a few goals -and when he's up for it- has a lot of determination.However he's also a bit lightweight and sometimes his loyalty can be questioned. He seemed to be having a hangover after the our FA cup loss last season( not the only one!) :o and went missing during the early part of the season. However he came storming back and was important in our overlooked 7 out 9 wins at the end. So on balance a good player but you'll have to dip your tight fists into your pocket for some more money, at least another 5.5 million. Parry owes us, of course :D

thanks for the Benayoun info HH .

Do you know why the Liverpool thread has been closed by any chance ???? :D:D .

He seemed to be having a hangover after the our FA cup loss last season( not the only one!) and went missing during the early part of the season. However he came storming back and was important in our overlooked 7 out 9 wins at the end. So on balance a good player but you'll have to dip your tight fists into your pocket for some more money, at least another 5.5 million. Parry owes us, of course

He was actually injure for a lot of the season. When he did come back he done more than alright replacing Tevez on the wing, as Tevez was having a mare playing in that position.

Fact is that West Ham looked predictable without Yossi's flare. And it's no coincidence that the turn-around in our abysmal performances came when Yossi was fully fit again vs Sp*rs. I think that he's going to be hard to replace. Should connect well with Maschereno and could even be an answer to Liverpool's problems on the wing.

He seemed to be having a hangover after the our FA cup loss last season( not the only one!) and went missing during the early part of the season. However he came storming back and was important in our overlooked 7 out 9 wins at the end. So on balance a good player but you'll have to dip your tight fists into your pocket for some more money, at least another 5.5 million. Parry owes us, of course

He was actually injure for a lot of the season. When he did come back he done more than alright replacing Tevez on the wing, as Tevez was having a mare playing in that position.

Fact is that West Ham looked predictable without Yossi's flare. And it's no coincidence that the turn-around in our abysmal performances came when Yossi was fully fit again vs Sp*rs. I think that he's going to be hard to replace. Should connect well with Maschereno and could even be an answer to Liverpool's problems on the wing.

I agree with you about missing Yossi's flair and these kinds of players are few and far between However we did become too dependent on him for awhile, especially with Bowyer going AWOL for a lot of last season. As for the injury problem wasn't he able to play for Israel despite having an 'injury' and being absent for us? I wonder if AC has plans on playing Bellamy in his position. The valuation is an interesting one as I understood (Maybe papertalk) they offered 1 million at first and then revised it to 3 and a half. This suggests they think of him only as an under-study to Pennant. Also why not a straight swop for Bellamy or a part-exchange. Anyway I wouldn't mind him him lining up for us next season despite the all this stuff. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Whoops. Not good news for Hammers

From the BBC:-

Faubert ruled out for six months

New West Ham signing Julien Faubert has been ruled out for six months with a ruptured Achilles tendon.

Faubert was injured during West Ham's 1-0 friendly defeat against Czech side Sigma Olomouc in Austria on 17 July and has returned to France for surgery.

The 23-year-old France midfielder joined the Hammers from Bordeaux for £6.1m on 1 July.

West Ham manager Alan Curbishley told his club's website: "It's a devastating blow for everybody, especially Julien."

Curbishley's frustration at seeing one of his key summer signings ruled out until the New Year was evident.

"Julien had fitted in so well and was showing all the attributes needed to be a success in the Premiership," he explained.

"You could see in the short bit of football he has played with us that he was going to be a big hit with the supporters - so to lose him after an hour of football and just two weeks at the Club is a big disappointment."

George Cooper, head physio at Upton Park, added: "The injury was completely out of the blue.

"Julien has no history of any Achilles problems, and this kind of rupture is usually pre-disposed by past steroid injections in the area - something he has never had - so it is a major shock.

"On the plus side, we have managed to get him to a top surgeon in Strasbourg, who has successfully operated on the likes of Zinedine Zidane and Lilian Thuram in the past, so he is in very good hands.

"Two to three days is the key time for this injury and everything will be done and in place for Julien within that period."

Just like the curse of Player Of The Year, who usually 'goes missing' the next season.

There's another that when anyone signs for us they're usually sick-noted for a season before they've even played a game or two. :o

Looks like Freddie Ljunberg (spelling?) is on his way. Has he still got enough in the tank? Wouldn't mind another Freddie (Kanoute) back, as well as we're a striker short up front. We also need a couple of bodies in midfield. The defence I'm reasonably happy with . :D

Surely this signing must be a quick fix after the injury to Faubert ( sod's law :D ) , when was Ljungberg's last good game for Arsenal ????? :o:D , about 3-4 years ago I reckon.

Curbs has never had a huge transfer kitty to spend before and with a little bit of bad luck thrown in he seems to be struggling a bit in the market. He needs to sign a world class attacking player who is in his prime soon.

West Ham swoop to sign Ljungberg By Chris Bevan 999999.gif

_44015224_freddie203.jpg West Ham have completed the signing of Arsenal midfielder Freddie Ljungberg, BBC Sport understands.

The Hammers will unveil the 30-year-old Sweden international at a press conference at 1400 BST.

Ljungberg, who was also a target for Fiorentina, joined the Gunners in a £3m deal from Halmstads in 1998 and scored 72 goals in 325 games for the club.

He had two years left on his contract at the Emirates Stadium but Gunners boss Arsene Wenger decided to sell him. o.gif Ljungberg, who was Arsenal's longest serving player, struggled with injury last season and played just 26 games.

Surely this signing must be a quick fix after the injury to Faubert ( sod's law :D ) , when was Ljungberg's last good game for Arsenal ????? :o:D , about 3-4 years ago I reckon.

Curbs has never had a huge transfer kitty to spend before and with a little bit of bad luck thrown in he seems to be struggling a bit in the market. He needs to sign a world class attacking player who is in his prime soon.

West Ham swoop to sign Ljungberg By Chris Bevan 999999.gif

_44015224_freddie203.jpg West Ham have completed the signing of Arsenal midfielder Freddie Ljungberg, BBC Sport understands.

The Hammers will unveil the 30-year-old Sweden international at a press conference at 1400 BST.

Ljungberg, who was also a target for Fiorentina, joined the Gunners in a £3m deal from Halmstads in 1998 and scored 72 goals in 325 games for the club.

He had two years left on his contract at the Emirates Stadium but Gunners boss Arsene Wenger decided to sell him. o.gif Ljungberg, who was Arsenal's longest serving player, struggled with injury last season and played just 26 games.

Maybe he's getting on a bit but he's a man with a red, ..err ..bald streak and he might have something to prove to Arsene Wenger when he returns to Islington next season. :D At worse he's a stop gap untill Faubert gets back and 3 million isn't so bad for him. :D He likes playing up at Anfield as well :bah: We haven't won up there since the 60's so it's about time :bah: something went right for us.

I reckon that notwithsanding ANY of the aquasitions that West Ham make in the close season if DEAN ASHTON plays like he did before he got injured then West Ham will have a good season.

That guy can be a future England great, he looks older than he is because he is loosing his turf, but I believe he's still only 23 or 24???

Just like the curse of Player Of The Year, who usually 'goes missing' the next season.

There's another that when anyone signs for us they're usually sick-noted for a season before they've even played a game or two. :D

Looks like Freddie Ljunberg (spelling?) is on his way. Has he still got enough in the tank? Wouldn't mind another Freddie (Kanoute) back, as well as we're a striker short up front. We also need a couple of bodies in midfield. The defence I'm reasonably happy with . :D

Good cover for Faubert I reckon.

Should get on with Deano if the rumours are true - which they're not :o

:D

Surprising to see that Curbs has not really spent that much after looking at the cash he's got for the players leaving :

Players In

Richard WrightEverton FCFreeJulian FaubertFC G. de Bordeaux£6,070,000Craig BellamyLiverpool FC£7,500,000Scott ParkerNewcastle United£7,000,000Freddie LjungbergArsenal FC£3,000,000

Players Out

Marlon HarewoodAston VillaundisclosedNigel Reo CokerAston Villa£8,500,000Teddy SheringhamColchester UtdFreeTyrone MearsDerby County£1,000,000Roy CarrollGlasgow RangersFreePaul KoncheskyFulham FC£3,250,000Shaun NewtonLeicester CityFreeYossi BenayounLiverpool FCundisclosed

Surprising to see that Curbs has not really spent that much after looking at the cash he's got for the players leaving

But there were others who just didn't want to join us for one reason or another. Ashley Young, Barton amonst others. And anyway the shop doesn't close for another month.

Gudjohnsen anyone? :o

Surprising to see that Curbs has not really spent that much after looking at the cash he's got for the players leaving

But there were others who just didn't want to join us for one reason or another. Ashley Young, Barton amonst others. And anyway the shop doesn't close for another month.

Gudjohnsen anyone? :o

I would prefer him to Dyer who would live up to his name if he came to the Boleyn. I'm a bit concerned with all our buys, really. There could be a few injuries this season with some of the old war horses but at least there's some experience now which hopefully will filter through to Mark Noble and co. However I would like us to buy some up and coming youngsters at 21 or 22 who can develop in time. We have a history of buying over the hill forwards which haven't worked out Ted McDougall, John Radford, Derek Hales Titi Camera Justin Fashinu. etc I suppose we can't attract the real top people because we're not in Europe. Anyway I'm pretty optimistic about the season, read the KUMB article and agree with AC about the players learning from and coming through last season's experience. Come on you Irons !! :D

If it's true, then Gudjohnsen will be a great signing I reckon. I agree about Dyer, I don't particularly want him at UP either.

But you forgot to mention Greaves , Radford and Brady in you list of, etc...oh hang on, perhaps you're right :D

But the important thing is Premiership consolidation next seson, then after a EUFA place maybe ? I reckon that we've at least now got the team for the former and can build upon that the season after. Forget all this nonsense about Champions League in 5 years, that's not going to happen, imo. :o

If it's true, then Gudjohnsen will be a great signing I reckon. I agree about Dyer, I don't particularly want him at UP either.

But you forgot to mention Greaves , Radford and Brady in you list of, etc...oh hang on, perhaps you're right :D

But the important thing is Premiership consolidation next seson, then after a EUFA place maybe ? I reckon that we've at least now got the team for the former and can build upon that the season after. Forget all this nonsense about Champions League in 5 years, that's not going to happen, imo. :o

IMO , you need to be aiming a lot higher than that :D

But you forgot to mention Greaves , Radford and Brady in your list of, etc...oh hang on, perhaps you're right :D

IMO , you need to be aiming a lot higher than that :D

How much higher? Let's face it that unless the top four in the Premiership sod off and take their money into some European Super League or something, then no one else is going to get a look in anyway. But that's not going to happen. So unless one of them completely implodes, then which of those is going to finish top is all sewn-up between them for the future anyway. As utterly boring as that may be, it's the reality

And anyway, to be honest, I really wouldn't want to see West Ham become another arrogant club whose expectations are always to be so successful - even if there was such a possibility. A EUFA place and some good domestic Cup runs would do for me. As I expect it would for a great many of our suppoerters who also value a balancing act between tradition and relative success. :D

Archived