West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

If it's true, then Gudjohnsen will be a great signing I reckon. I agree about Dyer, I don't particularly want him at UP either.

But you forgot to mention Greaves , Radford and Brady in your list of, etc...oh hang on, perhaps you're right :D

But the important thing is Premiership consolidation next seson, then after a EUFA place maybe ? I reckon that we've at least now got the team for the former and can build upon that the season after. Forget all this nonsense about Champions League in 5 years, that's not going to happen, imo. :D

IMO , you need to be aiming a lot higher than that :D

How much higher? Let's face it that unless the top four in the Premiership sod off and take their money into some European Super League or something, then no one else is going to get a look in anyway. But that's not going to happen. So unless one of them completely implodes, then which of those is going to finish top is all sewn-up between them for the future anyway. As utterly boring as that may be, it's the reality

And anyway, to be honest, I really wouldn't want to see West Ham become another arrogant club whose expectations are always to be so successful - even if there was such a possibility. A EUFA place and some good domestic Cup runs would do for me. As I expect it would for a great many of our suppoerters who also value a balancing act between tradition and relative success. :D

I wouldn't mind seeing WHU win the league, at least in my daughter's lifetime :o There are two billionaire's on the board and while I wouldn't want to be like Chelsea, at least they did break through and stop the title going to either Arse and MancU. It's gong to take awhile but I can see the Irons heading up there not only because of the money, but also the location; this part of London is being transformed for the Olympics and the club are in a great place.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are two billionaire's on the board and while I wouldn't want to be like Chelsea, at least they did break through and stop the title going to either Arse and MancU.

I hope that you wouldn't want to become another Chelsington mate. They're a fotball club whose soul has been totally ripped out in the pursuit of success.

As for the rest are concerned (Liverpool , the Arse and Redsox) they're out there in a league of their own with spending power and international franchise. Even given the money and move to Stratford, etc. I still can't ever see us in ever being the same bracket as what they can buy and the players that they can attract. I reckon that we'll remain there, or there abouts, with the likes of Aston Villa, the Barcodes for the foresesable future. But it'll be good to catch up on Sp*rs though. :o

Part two of that Curbs interview

http://www.kumb.com/qa.php?id=13

Thanks for posting that HH. You've got to give it to AC he seems to be a resolute character and knows what he wants out of the squad. He's also a realist and is looking at the long term for success. However I don't see us becoming another Chelsea and it would be a shame if we had somebody like Peter Kenyon marketing West Ham U as a 'global brand'. having said that 27+ years is a long time to wait for a trophy.and I'm fed up with other clubs buying up our talent. It seems Chairman Eggy is steering a middle path still bringing talent through the youth system -and keeping them - but bringing in more established bodies as well. Iwas a teenager when we last won the cup and I'll probably be an old codger when the next one comes around :o

I agree about Curbs. He's got a level head and knows what he wants and what we need in order to progress. Not that it'll appease some of the less patient boo boys who don't understand the concept of deferred gratification but just want it all now. I blame Thatcher, Repka and the consumer society. :o

A top ten fiinish isn't beyond the realms of possibility. I'd take that anyway.

I agree about Curbs. He's got a level head and knows what he wants and what we need in order to progress. Not that it'll appease some of the less patient boo boys who don't understand the concept of deferred gratification but just want it all now. I blame Thatcher, Repka and the consumer society. :D

A top ten fiinish isn't beyond the realms of possibility. I'd take that anyway.

Yes, Thatcher, Repka, consumer society, starbucks and the price of getting in to the ground. The cost is so outrageous now that some people want a guarantee of a win or at least players jumping into the crowd every now and again. Wouldn't want to see any of the new boys do this as they are delicate creatures and might come down with another injury or two. Another sicknote could be coming our way if Gud decides to come aboard but this one I would like to see. Anyway the Man City game is on the TV here in Thailand. I wonder what the Thai commentators will say when the cams picks out Thaksin.? They'll probably put up a ' Visit Amazing Thailand' ad, instead. Some people are really wanted here :o

Yes, Thatcher, Repka, consumer society, starbucks and the price of getting in to the ground. The cost is so outrageous now that some people want a guarantee of a win or at least players jumping into the crowd every now and again.

Must agree that his first goal celebration is will becomea seminal moment in the folk-lore of West Ham history. Not bad after one season in which he only played less than a dozen or so good games.

I can see the point about the prices nowadys and that our traditional support has been priced out of going to games. Gone are the days when most of our players came from within a bus ride of the ground and with it the pride of wearing claret and blue. To be replaced by supporters - if forums like westhamonline are any gauge to go by- the most vocal being those with no real previous connection with West Ham and vocalising over-compensatory, undying llegiance to a club who they've not been nurtured in the traditions of. Give me the good old healthy West Ham cynicism over the glory hunters any day. And of course the mercenary players who kiss badges but jump ship when the offer of playing for a bigger club comes along, or when we used to get relegated :o

Wouldn't want to see any of the new boys do this as they are delicate creatures and might come down with another injury or two.

Another sicknote could be coming our way if Gud decides to come aboard but this one I would like to see

Don't remind me of the original sicknote. Although I did think it a blessing in disguise when Hutchinson was so badly injured. Seems like the curse of player of the year extends to the likes of Sunderland too -although they had the savvy to off-load him to us directly after he'd won it.

Anyway the Man City game is on the TV here in Thailand. I wonder what the Thai commentators will say when the cams picks out Thaksin.? They'll probably put up a ' Visit Amazing Thailand' ad, instead. Some people are really wanted here :D

Can't think of any relevant chants for Citeh's visit. Although there wil probably be a few involving ladyboys no doubt. Shame that most supporters are missing the more pressing issue about the corrupt little dictator. Let alone his human rights record, which incidentally has hit the news again even a I write.

West Ham agree fee for Newcastle's Dyer

Newcastle United midfielder Kieron Dyer has been given permission to speak to West Ham United after the two clubs agreed an undisclosed fee for the 28-year-old.

TonyMarshall/Empics

Kieron Dyer: Unsettled midfielder

Magpies manager Sam Allardyce had earlier insisted a £4million bid for the England international was well below Newcastle's valuation. The Hammers have returned with an improved offer, nearer the £6m mark.

The player is understood to be keen to move south to be closer to his family.

Allardyce said: 'We've agreed a deal so you'd have thought that he will finish up where he needs to finish up to solve his family problems.

'From our point of view and from his point of view it's a satisfactory result. There was a need to do it as quickly as we possibly could and we've worked all out to do that and we've finally resolved the situation.'

Although Dyer has not officially left St James' Park, Allardyce has already turned his attention to replacing the versatile 28-year-old.

He said: 'My job now is to replace him, which shouldn't take too long I don't think, and then move on to other players in other positions as quickly as I can or at the same time.

'I think we'll be close by the end of the week to maybe one or two players, I would hope.

'Then after that I would look to get at least another two or maybe three in because if Kieron goes, whoever comes in to replace him, that's only one for one, so it's not actually improving the squad in terms of strength in depth.

'There's still three or four players need to be got on top of whoever we replace Kieron with.' and it is now up to Dyer to thrash out personal terms.

Reports in Wednesday's media claimed Dyer has been subjected to abuse from some Magpies fans since it became clear he was hoping to leave.

Chairman Chris Mort has expressed his concern at the effect that could have on attempts to overhaul the squad.

Dyer was booed during the weekend's friendly win over Juventus and it has been alleged that his house has been targeted by an egg-throwing mob.

Mort warned: 'We have to make all our current players and potential new signings see Newcastle as a great place to live.

'It would be disastrous for this sort of behaviour to be repeated.'

Chairman Chris Mort has expressed his concern at the effect that could have on attempts to overhaul the squad.

Dyer was booed during the weekend's friendly win over Juventus and it has been alleged that his house has been targeted by an egg-throwing mob.

Mort warned: 'We have to make all our current players and potential new signings see Newcastle as a great place to live.

Sounds like their fans are as full of shit as ours when it comes to players wanting to leave.

Sounds like their fans are as full of shit as ours when it comes to players wanting to leave.

Only some mate. The gobby ignoramuses that are at the very least a disgrace. Trouble is that those ones are the most vocal.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you think the happy hammers are going to do this season ?? How do you rate the new signings ??

Personally l dont think curbishleys decision to surround himself with all his old back-room staff is the way to go. Why is it when managers move clubs they have to make themselves feel comfortable by bringing in all there old staff ??

Last season we had a pretty good set up with regards to back room staff, did'nt see the need to change.

Can't believe we are being linked with lua-lua for 12 mil thats absurd !! :o

Any ideas on who he should bring in before Aug 31 ??

Mark.

How do you think the happy hammers are going to do this season ?? How do you rate the new signings ??

Personally l dont think curbishleys decision to surround himself with all his old back-room staff is the way to go. Why is it when managers move clubs they have to make themselves feel comfortable by bringing in all there old staff ??

Last season we had a pretty good set up with regards to back room staff, did'nt see the need to change.

Can't believe we are being linked with lua-lua for 12 mil thats absurd !! :o

Any ideas on who he should bring in before Aug 31 ??

Mark.

There's already a West Ham thread..

Well be ok after an unexciting season..

How do you think we are going to this year ?? What do you think about the new signings??

Who would you bring in before the window closes on Aug 31 ??

Lets hope they do better than my spelling, predictions is spelt that way not how i did in the tiltle, what a t....r did go to school honestly !!

How do you think we are going to this year ?? What do you think about the new signings??

Lets hope they do better than my spelling, predictions is spelt that way not how i did in the tiltle, what a t....r did go to school honestly !!

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose

I would not dream of a top ten finish if I were a WH fan just yet.

Why not Just settle for staying up this year, and consolidating whilst building teamwork and understanding with all these new players ?

Then make your push next year.

I will settle for Reading just staying up, wherever we finish.

Of course Premiership football is still new to us Royals fans and we just want it to continue, The thrill of a point at Old Trafford for us can be compared to your win there on the last day of the season, fills you up inside, there is only one other sensation that comes close...you know what that is !!

God only knows how people who are not passionate about their fooball team get their highs?

Whats all this abouut Konchesky saying that Curbs is not a good manager , sour grapes as his career has gone down the toilet???

i think west ham will do better than last year ,mid table me thinks.......

Whatever happens, enjoy the season. They should do Ok and end up mid table. They don't have the finance to match the really rich clubs, but thats life.

As for who to sign on to strengthen the team. How about that chinese guy who stood in front of the tank in Tianenmen square in China. He should make a pretty good central defender.If he can stop a thirty ton tank in its tracks, front running forwards should be a piece of cake for him.

:o

13) English language is the only acceptable language on thaivisa.com, except of course in the Thai Language Forum where Thai is encouraged.

I would not dream of a top ten finish if I were a WH fan just yet.

Why not Just settle for staying up this year, and consolidating whilst building teamwork and understanding with all these new players ?

Then make your push next year.

I will settle for Reading just staying up, wherever we finish.

But Reading haven't spent anything near the amount that West Ham have, and there's still more to come ( now about Shorey :D ) I don't think at all unrealistic to expect a top ten finish. In fact if we don't achieve that then I wouldn't be suprised if Curbishley picked up his P45.

Of course Premiership football is still new to us Royals fans and we just want it to continue, The thrill of a point at Old Trafford for us can be compared to your win there on the last day of the season, fills you up inside, there is only one other sensation that comes close...you know what that is !!

That was a good point a OT. I'll be interesting to see if other teams play the same way against them. Not too pretty to watch but highly effective. Something tells me that the days of the 'big boys' having it all their own way are over. Birmingham gave Chelsea a good run for their money as well.

God only knows how people who are not passionate about their fooball team get their highs?

Mostly lows though. :D

Whats all this abouut Konchesky saying that Curbs is not a good manager , sour grapes as his career has gone down the toilet???

That all has a history behind it. Strange that no one else - except for Reo-Coker has slagged off West Ham after leaving. It's all summed it up to me when he said that the reason that Tevez wouldn't stay was because he didn't like Curbishley. Nothing to do with the Man USA wanting him then. :o

If you sign my old favourite Eidur, I reckon you have a good chance of staying up!! :o

Hammers capture Dyer

Kieron Dyer has completed his move from Newcastle to West Ham after the two clubs reached an agreement.

The England midfielder had looked set to join The Hammers earlier this month after announcing he wanted to leave St James' Park to be closer to his family.

The transfer fell through at the last minute when Newcastle changed their valuation of the player, forcing West Ham to reconsider.

The two clubs have now settled on a fee, believed to be in the region of £8million, leaving Dyer available to make his West Ham debut against Birmingham on Saturday.

He will be reunited at Upton Park with a number of former Newcastle team-mates.

Dyer did not feature in Newcastle's 3-1 victory at Bolton on the opening day of the Premier League season.

If you sign my old favourite Eidur, I reckon you have a good chance of staying up!! :o

Hammers capture Dyer

Kieron Dyer has completed his move from Newcastle to West Ham after the two clubs reached an agreement.

The England midfielder had looked set to join The Hammers earlier this month after announcing he wanted to leave St James' Park to be closer to his family.

The transfer fell through at the last minute when Newcastle changed their valuation of the player, forcing West Ham to reconsider.

The two clubs have now settled on a fee, believed to be in the region of £8million, leaving Dyer available to make his West Ham debut against Birmingham on Saturday.

He will be reunited at Upton Park with a number of former Newcastle team-mates.

Dyer did not feature in Newcastle's 3-1 victory at Bolton on the opening day of the Premier League season.

I reckon that they should have bunged in Solano for free as well. But there you go.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived