West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

Interesting point about the black players but it's more of a perception that a languid style equals lack of effort. Clyde Best, included, although i can't remember him too well, i hastily add. Certainly George Parris, Leroy Rosenior, even dear old Abou were appreciated for their work ethic. While Kanoute and more recently Marlon and NRC seem to be cruising and making it look easy, looking like they're not trying. Paul Ince was slated purely for the Man U shirt, flash attitude and the way the mancs got a cheap deal in collusion with his manager. While there are bigots that go to west Ham. I don't think we're exceptional. The worse abuse I ever heard was usually directed at some of the white players Geoff Pike (unjustified, usually) Steve Walford (justified, the least talented player I have seen for WHU) and further back John Radford(completely justified, being a gooner looking for an easy pension).

There's a book called Black Hammers by Brian Belton out that you might be interested in. He's quite a prolific writer on all things on the history of the Club and even written a couple on the old Hammers speedway. I never really got to read it thoroughly as I got it one day and gave as a Christmas present a couple of days later. Think that I'll get a copy for myself though. But from what I saw it was a comprehensive documentary of our black players from John Charles right through until today - some great photos too. Anyway, the bit on Ince is interesting as it states the case from his point. Reckons that the photo was taken and left with his agent as the deal was almost certain to go ahead when he was away on holiday. So he had it taken and left with his agent for when the ink had dried - or similar. A Daily Express journo had got hold of it and published that one instead of one in a WH shirt, and it was all a big mistake 'honest guv'. I don't know but it seems a shame that there's still a five mile exclusion zone around Upton Park and he "could never go back to watch a match" (Ince's words). Belton reckons it's a shame too, as he would have been useful finishing his playing career at the Hammers instead of the mediocrity of Wolves. Belton also makes reference to the percieved racism as seen by neutrals.

You're right about racism not beng confined to our supporters . I do remember Clyde Best and also the bananas being thrown at him at Everton. Also when we had the superb fanzine 'Fortunes Always Hiding' (FAH) the Everton 'When Sky's Are Grey' was full of racist rubbish as I remember.

You're also right about the abuse given to some of our white players too. I remember Alan Mcknight (mare) saying that it got so bad that he just froze on match days because it got so bad (which is something of a suprise, as more often than not he was picking the ball out of the back of the net). But his point is taken.

Interestingly, in the bad old days of the eighties, when the NF were peddling their Bulldog rag their outside of grounds their top sales were at Exeter, Leeds, Chelsington and Millwall with West Ham coming around fitth or sixth.

Anyway about Freddie. I always liked him and thought that the label of being lazy was just not taking into account that it was just his style. I watched hin the other day and he still looks the same, but as I've previously said, he's scoring loads at Sevilla. In a way he reminded me of Bishop's lazy style. Although I don't think that he ever got any stick, despite sometimes been seen wandering aimlesly somewhere in mid-field. Saw him playing for an American team a fair few years ago now and he too looked the same.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting point about the black players but it's more of a perception that a languid style equals lack of effort. Clyde Best, included, although i can't remember him too well, i hastily add. Certainly George Parris, Leroy Rosenior, even dear old Abou were appreciated for their work ethic. While Kanoute and more recently Marlon and NRC seem to be cruising and making it look easy, looking like they're not trying. Paul Ince was slated purely for the Man U shirt, flash attitude and the way the mancs got a cheap deal in collusion with his manager. While there are bigots that go to west Ham. I don't think we're exceptional. The worse abuse I ever heard was usually directed at some of the white players Geoff Pike (unjustified, usually) Steve Walford (justified, the least talented player I have seen for WHU) and further back John Radford(completely justified, being a gooner looking for an easy pension).

There's a book called Black Hammers by Brian Belton out that you might be interested in. He's quite a prolific writer on all things on the history of the Club and even written a couple on the old Hammers speedway. I never really got to read it thoroughly as I got it one day and gave as a Christmas present a couple of days later. Think that I'll get a copy for myself though. But from what I saw it was a comprehensive documentary of our black players from John Charles right through until today - some great photos too. Anyway, the bit on Ince is interesting as it states the case from his point. Reckons that the photo was taken and left with his agent as the deal was almost certain to go ahead when he was away on holiday. So he had it taken and left with his agent for when the ink had dried - or similar. A Daily Express journo had got hold of it and published that one instead of one in a WH shirt, and it was all a big mistake 'honest guv'. I don't know but it seems a shame that there's still a five mile exclusion zone around Upton Park and he "could never go back to watch a match" (Ince's words). Belton reckons it's a shame too, as he would have been useful finishing his playing career at the Hammers instead of the mediocrity of Wolves. Belton also makes reference to the percieved racism as seen by neutrals.

You're right about racism not beng confined to our supporters . I do remember Clyde Best and also the bananas being thrown at him at Everton. Also when we had the superb fanzine 'Fortunes Always Hiding' (FAH) the Everton 'When Sky's Are Grey' was full of racist rubbish as I remember.

You're also right about the abuse given to some of our white players too. I remember Alan Mcknight (mare) saying that it got so bad that he just froze on match days because it got so bad (which is something of a suprise, as more often than not he was picking the ball out of the back of the net). But his point is taken.

Interestingly, in the bad old days of the eighties, when the NF were peddling their Bulldog rag their outside of grounds their top sales were at Exeter, Leeds, Chelsington and Millwall with West Ham coming around fitth or sixth.

Anyway about Freddie. I always liked him and thought that the label of being lazy was just not taking into account that it was just his style. I watched hin the other day and he still looks the same, but as I've previously said, he's scoring loads at Sevilla. In a way he reminded me of Bishop's lazy style. Although I don't think that he ever got any stick, despite sometimes been seen wandering aimlesly somewhere in mid-field. Saw him playing for an American team a fair few years ago now and he too looked the same.

Bish didn't get too much grief because he was a flair play-maker in the mode of Trev Brooking and wasn't expected to do the donkey work; therefore he could get away with floating around; not doing much at times. Geoff Pike, and more recently, Christian Daily were industrious but lacking in skill. However Trevor Morley, in the mode of Bobby Zam, lacked skill but went that extra 2% for the cause. I think Freddie Kanoute went out of favour because of the mystery over the injury he had in 2002-03 and the shortage we had up front that season. I always rated him as he was great at holding the ball up. There was talk of him coming back at the beginning of last season but he escaped to La Liga, as you know. I liked Marlon last sunday he really caused Vidic a lot of problems. As for Carlton Cole I wouldn't be surprised to see him move over to Watford or Charlton if AC doesn't give him a chance soon. I think Ashton and Tevez would be the ideal line up with Marlon and the old boy coming on as supersubs. Anyway we need cover in the midfield, especially the right and if Konch doesn't pull his socks up, a new left back.

As for Paul Ince coming back a few years back I'm not sure that he still had it, after Inter Milan. He does regret the photo incident in an interview I read, a few years back. He was a youngster at the time but the whole thing undermined the club and the incident with the failed medical led many to believe it was constructed to hasten the deal and West Ham were left to settle for a reduced transfer fee. His trips back playing for other clubs seemed to have turned comical. He was like the man with the black moustache at a panto. I don't think there was real evil intent from the fans, though, after the first game back.

As for Alan McKnight I remember the Luton game and I suppose goalies are the most vulnerable in losng their confidence but It was a nightmare of a game. It's fascinating supporting WHU as there have been so many twists in our story. You never know what you're going to get with this club, except fortune is always hiding!

As someone who opposes any move from the Boleyn Ground to some souless olympic stadium in Stratford I found myself in general agreement with this piece written by a Manc.

"West Ham has been, and will continue to be one of my favourite away games. Despite it being a horrible, horrible place to lose, I think of West Ham as a proper football club, with a proper ground, and proper supporters.

Fans should make their home as intimidating as possible for the opposition, and West Ham do that. I don't mean by blowing their gay bubbles or by joining in happy clappy chants, for there weren't many of these for 75 minutes on Sunday anyway, but by their general demeanour. When we were getting the coach in on Sunday, it was just lads everywhere. Going along Barking Road all you could see were young men in their 20's and 30's outside pubs, making sure the visiting supporters knew they were not somewhere that they could take the piss.

You've all been to United away games lately, and you know the kind of lawlessness that pervades the culture at the moment. I'm all for it personally. Its not my bag to go on the rob, start bother and generally make a nuisance of myself, but if it helps bring back some of the edge to going to football and stop it turning into a day out at Alton Towers then its more than welcome. There are places where you can go and do it easily, such as Blackburn, Wigan, Arsenal, Newcastle or Fulham, and nobody will say boo, but try it at West Ham, Everton or Tottenham and at the risk of sounding like Danny Dyer, it will 'go off'.

I know people who have come unstuck at all these grounds, some having knives pulled on them. What they all have in common is that they tend to be grounds in run down inner city areas, and remain relatively untouched by football's gentrification process. What they also have in common is the teams have remained relatively untouched by the concurrent Sky money infusion and have not progressed the way the likes of Liverpool, ourselves, Arsenal and Chelsea have. Everton and Spurs were part of the eighties big 5 don't forget, and both had at least as successful a decade as Manchester United or Arsenal.

The three grounds mentioned remain amongst my own favourite destinations in the premier league, and it is therefore with great regret that I hear of potential moves for Everton and West Ham. I see that as another part of football's soul being lost to mammon, but then, it's a bit rich for a Manchester United to take any moral high ground on that score.

Evertonians and Hammers should look at what has become of Old Trafford, Anfield and Stamford Bridge in the last 10 years. These are all places where no doubt they have feared to tread in the not too distant past, and without question they all still have their moments, but for every Moston Rat outside Macari's these days there are 10 goons with mullets and AIG shirts on over the top of their coat. Is this what they really want? Again, 90% of football fans are happy as long as they like what they see on the pitch, so it wont be a concern to them, but football mean so much more than that. There is a defined culture being lost, and if people stand by and shrug their shoulders then it becomes as inevitable as it is saddening. "

As someone who opposes any move from the Boleyn Ground to some souless olympic stadium in Stratford I found myself in general agreement with this piece written by a Manc.

"West Ham has been, and will continue to be one of my favourite away games. Despite it being a horrible, horrible place to lose, I think of West Ham as a proper football club, with a proper ground, and proper supporters.

Fans should make their home as intimidating as possible for the opposition, and West Ham do that. I don't mean by blowing their gay bubbles or by joining in happy clappy chants, for there weren't many of these for 75 minutes on Sunday anyway, but by their general demeanour. When we were getting the coach in on Sunday, it was just lads everywhere. Going along Barking Road all you could see were young men in their 20's and 30's outside pubs, making sure the visiting supporters knew they were not somewhere that they could take the piss.

You've all been to United away games lately, and you know the kind of lawlessness that pervades the culture at the moment. I'm all for it personally. Its not my bag to go on the rob, start bother and generally make a nuisance of myself, but if it helps bring back some of the edge to going to football and stop it turning into a day out at Alton Towers then its more than welcome. There are places where you can go and do it easily, such as Blackburn, Wigan, Arsenal, Newcastle or Fulham, and nobody will say boo, but try it at West Ham, Everton or Tottenham and at the risk of sounding like Danny Dyer, it will 'go off'.

I know people who have come unstuck at all these grounds, some having knives pulled on them. What they all have in common is that they tend to be grounds in run down inner city areas, and remain relatively untouched by football's gentrification process. What they also have in common is the teams have remained relatively untouched by the concurrent Sky money infusion and have not progressed the way the likes of Liverpool, ourselves, Arsenal and Chelsea have. Everton and Spurs were part of the eighties big 5 don't forget, and both had at least as successful a decade as Manchester United or Arsenal.

The three grounds mentioned remain amongst my own favourite destinations in the premier league, and it is therefore with great regret that I hear of potential moves for Everton and West Ham. I see that as another part of football's soul being lost to mammon, but then, it's a bit rich for a Manchester United to take any moral high ground on that score.

Evertonians and Hammers should look at what has become of Old Trafford, Anfield and Stamford Bridge in the last 10 years. These are all places where no doubt they have feared to tread in the not too distant past, and without question they all still have their moments, but for every Moston Rat outside Macari's these days there are 10 goons with mullets and AIG shirts on over the top of their coat. Is this what they really want? Again, 90% of football fans are happy as long as they like what they see on the pitch, so it wont be a concern to them, but football mean so much more than that. There is a defined culture being lost, and if people stand by and shrug their shoulders then it becomes as inevitable as it is saddening. "

Interesting article but is West Ham still the intimidating place it once was? I think not, sure if a mob came down thinking they owned the place it 'would go off' but I remember when no where was safe, anywhere, both inside and outside the ground. Green street, outside Upton Park market and outside the Boleyn pub, were the places where away fans were often bashed. I particularly remember Sheffield Wed in '80 Chelsea in 70's and 80's, Man U in the 70's etc. However it's easy to look back with a romantic slant and see it as a golden age. However if some little psycho pulled a blade then it wasn't so funny. Having said that those day and night games were special. Tottenham in the quarter finals of the league cup, in 1980, stands out, with the whole 'west side' bouncing up and down in unison, after David Cross's late goal. It would be interesting to compare the average age of supporters then and now. If you were over 25 you were certainly an old geezer, in most parts of the standing areas. Now when the camera pans over the crowd at UP, I keep seeing people my age now. People fat, going bald in their 40s. Also there's more females and tiny kids but not many teenagers. So with the pricey seats, no standing, all that youthfull energy has been priced out, not just at UP, but everywhere. If we did move to a new stadium it probably would kill the atmosphere once and for all. In Germany they still have some standing but ,packed with thousands of mullet headed Germans with 'taches. At least we were better dressed back in the day, except northerners with their perms, of course but we never did see many of them at UP!

Reckon that UP is more intimidating for our own players than anyone else nowadays mate.

I do remeber the days when opposing teams used to dread coming to our place, especially for the friendly cockney banter that they got from the old Chicken Run boys. I have this theory about why Mark Lawrenson seems to always have this down on us and it has a lot to do with that. But most of these commentators and media pundits appear to have a patronising attitude to us at best.

As for opposing supporters. I never got involved, but rather chose to watch from the safety of the West Side. But I do remember the first time that it did go off in the North Bank against ManU. It looked like the North Bank had divided more or less in half and you could see the glistening of either knives or broken bottles in the late spring sun. Nice.

I never saw much outside of the ground nor knew anyone attatched to the ICF at that time. But over the past few years have got to know Bill Gardner a bit. He must have mellowed a lot as he's just a just nice midle-aged bloke now. Still hates Millwall with a vengence though. He wrote a book with Cass Pennant last year based on his ICF infamy ('Good Afternoon ,Gentlemen,The Name's Bill Gardner'). Not my cup of tea but sold quite well apparently.

There's no doubt that since the all-seaters were introduced that the atmoshere has changed drastically. Some for the good and a lot for the worse. Good because it's safer for women and kids. Bad because the place just lacks the intensity and sponteityof the old days. And what's all this piped 'Bubbles' music all about ,<deleted> ! The old cockney knees-up place of brilliant humour has gone forever and international corporate capitalism has placed mockney accents and Thames Estuary bums on the seats.

Those games against the Tottenhan were a bit special. My first match was against them aged nine, when it was the traditional Boxing Day game. But so were the old two-leg League Cup games. I was even locked out once when there was a 40,000 crowd against West Brom, or maybe that was Stoke?

But as you say, it could get far worse if we move to the Eggy Stadium, resplendent with running track. Can't believe that the O's showed an interest. They'd have filled about two rows every match. But they, or anyone else come to that, are welcome to it. But please god not us, else I'll probably be off to watch amatuer league somewhere.

Reckon that UP is more intimidating for our own players than anyone else nowadays mate.

I do remeber the days when opposing teams used to dread coming to our place, especially for the friendly cockney banter that they got from the old Chicken Run boys. I have this theory about why Mark Lawrenson seems to always have this down on us and it has a lot to do with that. But most of these commentators and media pundits appear to have a patronising attitude to us at best.

As for opposing supporters. I never got involved, but rather chose to watch from the safety of the West Side. But I do remember the first time that it did go off in the North Bank against ManU. It looked like the North Bank had divided more or less in half and you could see the glistening of either knives or broken bottles in the late spring sun. Nice.

I never saw much outside of the ground nor knew anyone attatched to the ICF at that time. But over the past few years have got to know Bill Gardner a bit. He must have mellowed a lot as he's just a just nice midle-aged bloke now. Still hates Millwall with a vengence though. He wrote a book with Cass Pennant last year based on his ICF infamy ('Good Afternoon ,Gentlemen,The Name's Bill Gardner'). Not my cup of tea but sold quite well apparently.

There's no doubt that since the all-seaters were introduced that the atmoshere has changed drastically. Some for the good and a lot for the worse. Good because it's safer for women and kids. Bad because the place just lacks the intensity and sponteityof the old days. And what's all this piped 'Bubbles' music all about ,<deleted> ! The old cockney knees-up place of brilliant humour has gone forever and international corporate capitalism has placed mockney accents and Thames Estuary bums on the seats.

Those games against the Tottenhan were a bit special. My first match was against them aged nine, when it was the traditional Boxing Day game. But so were the old two-leg League Cup games. I was even locked out once when there was a 40,000 crowd against West Brom, or maybe that was Stoke?

But as you say, it could get far worse if we move to the Eggy Stadium, resplendent with running track. Can't believe that the O's showed an interest. They'd have filled about two rows every match. But they, or anyone else come to that, are welcome to it. But please god not us, else I'll probably be off to watch amatuer league somewhere.

I didn't know Bill Gardner, though I remember seeing him about back way back when. He seemed an old geezer then but was probably in his mid-twenties. Never read his book but I thought it was funny how Cass was trying he to get his book sold in the club shop. It's like they're part of the history of the club and where once they were a source of shame for it, they are now becoming as well known as Devonshire, Bonds etc. I've got great memories of WHU Totts, including my first game, '75-76 season. League cup 0-0, but a night game with 57,000 at WHL. Also remember the 4-0 in '81 with David Cross scoring all 4. For some reason untill recently never felt they were our main rivals. In the 70's it seemed the chelsea and gooners were the games i looked forward to. Beating the gooners and their dull football, at the time, and the east v west-contrasting sides of London-Chelsea game, stand out in the memory. Interesting to find out how much the atmosphere at City has changed since their move from Maine Rd. The Olympic thing I hope is another non-starter though we could use it for those big European games in the future, though The Ghost of christmas future could be pointing to a ground share with Dagenham and Redbridge!

I'd have taken the draw. I think that Konchesky was unlucky. Bring on Arry's lot.

12 Fulham 19-24

13 Wigan 19-22

14 Middlesbrough 19-20

15 Man City 19-20

16 Sheff Utd 19-20

17 Blackburn 18-19

18 West Ham 19-18

19 Charlton 19-12

20 Watford 18-11

Curbs's view:

You build from the back and if we can teach the strikers to score, the sky's the limit.

West Ham United boss Alan Curbishley felt they were the better side at Fulham on Saturday.

"We came here and we kept a clean sheet, we were away from home and I think we had the best chances as well,"

"It would have been nice if we had taken the three points, as I think we probably shaded it.

"The reason we haven't won too many games this year is that we have let 24 goals in and only scored 11, so first things first, you've got to stop letting them goals in.

"The fans have got to bear with us. We've got to get ourselves back on course and I'm trying to do that."

Curbishley said he will appeal against the red card that Paul Konchesky received for an alleged professional foul on Fulham's Wayne Routledge.

"I think he's come across, I think he's got the ball, and I think that's not a sending off," he added.

"I think (referee) Chris (Foy) will look at that and overturn it. He could've just left it."

Curbs's view:

You build from the back and if we can teach the strikers to score, the sky's the limit.

West Ham United boss Alan Curbishley felt they were the better side at Fulham on Saturday.

"We came here and we kept a clean sheet, we were away from home and I think we had the best chances as well,"

"It would have been nice if we had taken the three points, as I think we probably shaded it.

"The reason we haven't won too many games this year is that we have let 24 goals in and only scored 11, so first things first, you've got to stop letting them goals in.

"The fans have got to bear with us. We've got to get ourselves back on course and I'm trying to do that."

Curbishley said he will appeal against the red card that Paul Konchesky received for an alleged professional foul on Fulham's Wayne Routledge.

"I think he's come across, I think he's got the ball, and I think that's not a sending off," he added.

"I think (referee) Chris (Foy) will look at that and overturn it. He could've just left it."

Saw the game, and although we kept them at bay, it reminded me, a little, of the Everton game: lots of possession, corners and general huff and puff but still lacking in front of the old onion bag, as big ron would put it. I'm still curious about the missing Tevez and if Konch had not been sent off would he have dared put him on, instead of McCartney. I doubt it but his pace could have caused a few problems for the patched up fulham defence. The worrying thing is that it could be the weakest defence we'll face-apart from Brighton-this season and we still couldn't put one in. I thought Anton and dear old Daily did a good job. Konch, apart from the unlucky red card did alright though cautious and staying back more than usual. Ditto Spector. The midfield was a little bit disappointing, especially Mullins and Bowyer. The front line did ok but Tevez would have offered the unpredictable factor. Still stopped the rot and our keeper looked alright apart from on silly slap in the first half. Maybe the NRC and Konch suspensions will be a blessing in disguise, as it will give a chance to see other combinations. Interesting to see what kind of reception Bagpuss gets when Pompey roll in and will Barton be suspended for the Man City game. Anyway Happy Curbmass and a Hammer New Year for you Happy Hammer and all the other exiles who follow our wonderful club.

Saw the game, and although we kept them at bay, it reminded me, a little, of the Everton game: lots of possession, corners and general huff and puff but still lacking in front of the old onion bag, as big ron would put it. I'm still curious about the missing Tevez and if Konch had not been sent off would he have dared put him on, instead of McCartney. I doubt it but his pace could have caused a few problems for the patched up fulham defence. The worrying thing is that it could be the weakest defence we'll face-apart from Brighton-this season and we still couldn't put one in. I thought Anton and dear old Daily did a good job. Konch, apart from the unlucky red card did alright though cautious and staying back more than usual. Ditto Spector. The midfield was a little bit disappointing, especially Mullins and Bowyer. The front line did ok but Tevez would have offered the unpredictable factor. Still stopped the rot and our keeper looked alright apart from on silly slap in the first half. Maybe the NRC and Konch suspensions will be a blessing in disguise, as it will give a chance to see other combinations. Interesting to see what kind of reception Bagpuss gets when Pompey roll in and will Barton be suspended for the Man City game. Anyway Happy Curbmass and a Hammer New Year for you Happy Hammer and all the other exiles who follow our wonderful club.

Hi keddy

and seasonal greetings to you mate.

I agree about Tevez. I'm not quite sure why Curbs sees so reluctant to start Carlos and even more bewildering is why Mascherano can't even make the squad? I guess it must be something to do with his attitude in training. Unless it's the Alf Garnett factor,"Yer beeding foreigners ain't it."

I also think that we lack real class up front.

Anyway here's my ratings.

Robert Green

Must surely be in for the England's no 1 spot. I think that his confident presence has really helped the defence to play in the same way. He never looked like he would be beaten yesterday. Claims crosses well and is always looking to play the quick ball out to get an attack going, alhtough there were times where he was frustrated with the lack of options. 8

Jonathan Spector

He played just okay today, which just about sums him up really. He does a job, but Curb's should look for a better right back come January. 5

Anton Ferdinand

He put in one of those big performances that are a delight to see. Nothing fancy about this showing, just good old fashion defending. 9 MOTM

Christian Dailly

Old 'football genius' put in a good game. He isn’t great on the ball but his heading and clearances were good enough and he showed everyone that when we are in need he can come in and do a capable job. It wasn't easy for the defence with the ariel power Helguson and McBride. But our defence generally coped well. 7

Paul Konchesky

I'm not a great fan , but a good performance yesterday.Should get his red card rescinded. 7

Lee Bowyer

Needs to get more involved . Poor in possession. Might get the chance to play in center midfield against Man City when Reo Coker is suspended. 5

Nigel Reo Coker

I'm no NRC hater and think that he has great potential (probably realised elsewhere though). I think that he tried hard and looked good most of the time. His booking will mean he will miss the Man City game. It'll be interesting to see the side without him against Man City. 7

Hayden Mullins

A few misplaced passes in the second half aside, but he put in a strong performance as a defensive midfielder. Protected the back four well and overall put in a solid although unspectacular performance. 6

Matthew Etherington

Got clattered in the first half and that was the end of Etherington as an attacking threat for the remainder of the game. He's really isn't up to the Premiership. 4

Marlon Harewood

Not the best performance from Marlon. Never made any runs in behind the Fulham defence. But was unlucky with a couple of chance. 5

Bobby Zamora

Huff and Puff. He was average and never looked like scoring. Tevez is obviously the better option. 4

Subs

Yossi Benayoun

Looked more like his old self with some bursting runs and willingness to take players on. He should start games now.

Teddy Sheringham

Why not bring on Tevez instead? Gave his all as per, but never really made an impact.

George McCartney

Curb's had no choice once Konchesky had been sent off.

Our away support. Superb. 9

Overall. Can't argue with 4 out of 2. And we might have snatched it but for some bad luck and good goalkeeping. We are still light-weight in attack and need another right back and a holding mid-fielder. Still Curbs looks like he's beginning to sort it and I think that we'll get reusults in the next two matches.

Should be better when we get Ashton back. I think the Argentian thing is political. They will be off soon.

I suppose that either or both could be off on loan to Spain or somewhere until June. But they can't sign for anyone until then as FIFA rules dictate that you can't sign for more than two Clubs in one year. I'd like us to keep hold of Tevez though. He's a crowd favourite now and not lacking in class of course.

To be honest mate I don't think that we can rely on Ashton too much when he returns in Febuary (?) because he just won't be match fit. But we've cerainly been unlucky not to have him thus far.

Rumours still circulate about Danny Murphy and Darren Bent coming to us. I think that we can put the SWP thing to rest though. I can't see that one happening at all.

Should be better when we get Ashton back. I think the Argentian thing is political. They will be off soon.

I suppose that either or both could be off on loan to Spain or somewhere until June. But they can't sign for anyone until then as FIFA rules dictate that you can't sign for more than two Clubs in one year. I'd like us to keep hold of Tevez though. He's a crowd favourite now and not lacking in class of course.

To be honest mate I don't think that we can rely on Ashton too much when he returns in Febuary (?) because he just won't be match fit. But we've cerainly been unlucky not to have him thus far.

Rumours still circulate about Danny Murphy and Darren Bent coming to us. I think that we can put the SWP thing to rest though. I can't see that one happening at all.

Murphy and Bent. Two more average players. Got too many of them already.

Agreed Tevez looked good without threatening much. We just do not look like scoring. Harewood, Zamora honest hard working players but not top class.

Murphy and Bent. Two more average players. Got too many of them already.

Agreed Tevez looked good without threatening much. We just do not look like scoring. Harewood, Zamora honest hard working players but not top class.

I can't decide about Marlon, it's been too easy to get on his back before. He can look very dangerous, but most of the time this season he's just been lacking in confidence. I'd like to see him still selected in partnership with either Tevez or Ashton when he comes back. But I suppose that we've just got to accept thet he's at his best when he doesn't have time to think about what he's doing, otherwise he's just just makes a gaff of it.

As for the rest of what you say, I've no argument.

Match preview from the Pompey end:-

Can Pompey take the fire out of the Irons?

By Gareth Beavis

Date: 26/12/2006

PREVIEW ++++ Pompey will be hoping to end the West Ham revival as they travel to Upton park for a Boxing day clash (1pm) looking to build on their own hopes for a top six finish.

The second game of the festive calendar takes Portsmouth to Upton Park on Boxing Day. At least this year the players were allowed to spend Christmas as home, thanks to their lofty Premiership position. But will Pompey take the goodwill out of the season and keep West Ham mired in relegation trouble? ?

It's nice to have a Christmas schedule that doesn't have a significant effect on whether Portsmouth will be relegated or not. True, they are still eight points from the magic 40 mark, but I feel confident they may just scrape that in the second half of the season.

But that doesn't mean that their collective feet should be taken of the accelerator. Although the schedule will be punishing, it's strange how injuries affect winning teams less than those that fall. So backing up the win against Sheffield United with a hammering of the Hammers should help things along nicely.

A look at last year's preview, and it's interesting to note the massive changes between the two teams. They played the same fixture at Fratton park last Boxing Day, but the situations were opposite, West Ham flying high and Portsmouth sucked into relegation trouble. And this was in the days when Laurent Robert was playing. Dire, dire times indeed…

Nigel Reo-Coker, apparently one of the driving forces behind ex-manager Alan Pardew's departure, won't be captaining the side due to suspension, so there could be a rare chance in midfield for exile Javier Mascherano as they attempt to drag themselves away from the bottom three.

I'm no sentimentalist (except when Portsmouth are concerned, but that's understandable because they are amazing and possibly the best team in the world ever. But you all knew that already) but I think West Ham, with their tradition and ardent fan-base are deserving of Premiership status, and should be good for the money when you consider the squad is largely unchanged from the side that finished in the top-half of the Premiership and made the FA Cup final.

Defender Danny Gabbidon looks likely to have recovered from a hamstring injury adequately to slot into defence next to the on-form Anton Ferdinand. Although no closer to displacing his brother in the England set-up, his defensive nous will be invaluable in the climb back up the Premiership table.

Alan Curbishley will soon have Dean Ashton back from a broken ankle, so Marlon Harewood, Bobby Zamora and Carlos Tevez will need to start playing exceptionally to keep him out of the starting line-up. The latter will especially need to start performing; else his much-publicised days at Upton Park will be numbered.

Some people point to the likes of the Upton Park Argentines as well as Hernan Crespo and Juan Sebastion Veron as proof that Argentines cannot cut it in the English top-flight, but does anyone remember a little player called Andres D'Allessandro? He did alright…

James Collins is still hampered by a groin injury, so definitely won't figure, but Curbs will have the likes of Matthew Ethrington, Yossi Benayoun and Hayden Mullins contesting the places, so expect an attack-minded side to come and try and beat the Portsmouth back four. The 4-5-1 formation Harry Redknapp has employed in recent away games should take a back seat as Benjani recovers fully from a hamstring injury, and Kanu will play despite a sore knee. When Lomano Lualua (thigh) is back in the fold along with Andrew Cole, Redknapp may rest his in-form striker, but until then, the African pairing will keep leading the line.

................................................................................

Come on you Irons !!!

West Ham United 1 Portsmouth 2

A miserable Boxing Day for us.

The first half performance was appalling and the lack of quality painfully apparent.

To say this performance utter crap would be understating things a little. There are some players at this football club who really should not be at West Ham at all nd should be shown the door asap.

We'd been encouraged by certain aspects of our football against Fulham. We should've taken those positives and built on them. We also saw the weaknesses that the team has. The poor distribution from the back, the lack of creativity in midfield and above all the lack of quality up front.

A few changes were made from the side who thrashed out the goalless draw at Craven Cottage. Danny Gabbidon returned from injury and took his place alongside Ferdinand at the centre of defence. Christian Dailly dropped to the bench. In midfield, Lee Bowyer was left out of the squad and replaced by Yossi Benayoun.

Bobby Zamora and Marlon Harewood continued up front. WHY? Neither of them look capable of hitting a cows arse with a banjo, let alone scoring a goal between them,

The game was only forty seconds old when we managed our first shot at goal. Some good football led to the ball finding its way to Bobby Zamora who took it on his chest and hit a left foot shot straight at David James. Not that it was a great shot , but an encouraging sign.

A bit later Harewood played down the middle, with Sol Campbell losing him for a moment, but he recovered well to stop Marlon from getting a shot at goal.

Pompey then settled into the game and played some neat football and we were doing well to disrupt. In fact the first fifteen minutes we were even-stevens with them . Neither team had really troubled each others keepers and we were both were just happy to be patient in our build ups.

But when your down at the bottom things can go wrong very quickly and disaster struck on 16 minutes when Pompey won a corner. Pedro Mendes swung in the corner where Primus lost his marker (Harewood) easily and powered his header past Green. Gabbidon could only blast it into the roof of the net in a last ditch attempt to clear it. The goal was Primus’ though.

Harewood was totally at fault for the goal. He seems to overlook the basic rule that you stick with the player you are marking. Marlon didn’t do that. It wasn’t even as though Primus had done well to lose him.

Our reaction to that goal was abject. We did that usual West Ham thing of capitulating once a goal has gone in. It was panic stations - reminiscent of those Championship years- for the next fifteen minutes.

Shortly after the goal when Pompey really should have increased their lead. Mendes, once again, put in a corner, this time to the back post, and Primus again won the header (this time being marked by Reo Coker) and put it back across goal where it found Davis, whose shot was cleared off the line and fell to Campbell who thankfully shot over the bar from ten yards

Our tactics seemed to change with Benayoun going into the middle. Harewood bizarrely on the right wing with Zamora up front on his own. Great idea playing Marlon out on the right when we're 1-0 down ! Although to be fair Yossi tried to take the game by the scruff of the neck by making some tricky runs and playing in the direct game - something that we don’t do enough.

He went on a tricky run and burst into the box and looked to have been fouled - but the ref waved away claims of a penalty. But Yossi still managed to get a shot deflected over the bar for a corner, despite being tumbled on the floor, but it was deflected over the bar. But to be honest, it may as well have been a goal kick anyway as we appear to have no idea whatsoever with corners.

Coming up to half-time anyone would have settled fot 1-0 under the circumstances. It's a game of two halves, etc. But we're talking West Ham here. It wasn't so much that they scored again- although that'd been bad enough, but they way that they scored – it was almost identical to their first goal. <deleted>!

It was Mendes again who played the ball in (this time from a free kick) and once again Linvoy Primus totally lost Mullins and powerfully headed past Green from a few yards out.

Just when you think things are going to get better, you get a first half performance that sucks all the hope out of you. Just like my dreams...

We never kept possession and thread a decent move together. Apart from that shot in the first few seconds and never threatened againl. The midfield was non existent and Chumpionship Etherington seemed more than willing to avoid anything that may cause him the slightest hurt. He did have a good opportunity to score but Glen Johnson looked about to come into clatter him, so he lost concentration sending that funny little round thing wide enough to hit Upton Park Bus Garage. Bottle job, I think the phrase is.

Changes had to be made during the interval.

Carlos Tevez came on to replace Etherington, and Teddy came on for Harewood. But why the ineffectual Zamora came out at half time remains a mystery. Substituting Roy Carroll up front for the dire Z man couldn't have been a worse bet.

Tevez is pure class and he immediately raised the crowd with some of his sublime trickery and solid challenges.

But we couldn't prise an opening and the football continued to be stale. To be fair though, the effort levels went up– epitomised by our much maligned captain who seemed to decide that he would turn up after all.

A lot of our play was being focused down the flanks, with Benayoun moving in from the right it was left Spector to move up the line. Problem was that he didn’t know what to do with the ball when he got it and our attacks faultered and stalled. Curbishley took him off and repaced him with Dailly.

Tevez had his usual golden opportunity to score when he skilfully got into the box but his dragged just wide. He had a free kick shortly after that, which went over the bar. But at least he showed the desire to attack but we await his first ,much anticipated, goal for us.

Time trickled away it was seemed more and more unlikely that we would get anything at all from this game. But a glimmer with something lik ten minutes of the ninety remaining.

A cross into the box...Sheringham challenged Campbell...his attempted clearance fell to Ferdinand who shot from close range... saved by James...the ball came back out on the right hand to Sheringham... from an acute angle put the ball into the net. Yess!!!

Although to be honest, one of their defenders might have touched it before it crossed the line.

The crowd roared the team on for the remaining time and for a moment it we may get back into it as we laid seige on thier goal. Mullins had golden chance to salvage a point from about ten yards but he blazed over the bar. Sheringham was thwarted by James, and Zamora saw a shot end up on the roof of the net. But any hope of a spectacular finale all but fizzled like a damp squid with 'Arry's lot taking all three points to leave us biting our nails over a must win game against Man City.

Robert Green

Don’t think he could have done too much with the goals. It was dreadful marking for both. Apart from picking the ball out of the net twice, he didn’t have too much else to do.

Jonathan Spector

Not convinced by him . A trier but without any real quality. Average and warranted being substituted.

Anton Ferdinand

On his day he's almost as good as his brother. But today his use of the ball was appalling. He and Gabbidon were at fault so many times for awful distribution of the ball thus exposing us to more pressure.

Danny Gabbidon

Back from injury, but not looking match fit . Kept hoofing the ball up the field to no one in particular.

Paul Konchesky

Sound defending today and Pompey didn’t get much change out of him. But his distribution was also dreadful. Doesn't he realise that he's meant to pass to his own plaayers and not the other lot ? His crossing? As usual... poor.

Yossi Benayoun

Our best player over the ninety. Looked much sharper and really worked hard to make things happen. He also showed qualit . A rare quality from all but a couple of ours in this game.

Hayden Mullins

Off the pace today and wasn’t on the ball enough. He put in some good tackles but he didn’t show much else.

Nigel Reo Coker

Anonymous in the first half . Did play better in the second half but was guilty of giving the ball away far too often. Suspendedfor the next game

Matthew Etherington

Bye, Matty. You're rubbish and with no heart for the fight. Just what we don't need right now.

Marlon Harewood

Better than Zamora, but still pretty poor. Why did he play him on the right hand side after they scored? He's not a mid-fielder which he all but became. Still like to see him and Tevez start up front .

Bobby Zamora

We all love him for being totally West Ham. But is he really up to it at this level? I personally don't think that he is.

Subs

Teddy Sheringham (Harewood 45 mins)

Got the goal , unusual for one of our strikers. Worked hard, played some nice passes and tried to get things going. But it says something when we rely on a pensioner to give us a glimer of hope. Perhaps a few more Sir Teddys?

Carlos Tevez ( Etherington 45 mins)

Crowd pleaser (some think a potential saviour along with Ashton) and had a few chances to score. It's blatently obvious that he should start in the side because he's sheer quality! Simple as that.

Christian Dailly (Spector 70 mins)

Football genius did a fair job down that right hand side and despite him not being known for his attacking skills he did a decent job for the final twenty minures.

Overall

Not good enough giving it our all in the final fifteen. Thay's not enough to get anything from a game that we desperately needed something from. That is not going to keep us in the Premiership.

Their goals were a joke on us. If a player like Primus can score two goals against us then we know that we're in big trouble.

The positives are that Tevez continues to impress. Sheringham scored a goal and Yossi Benayoun looked back to nearing his best.

Curbs says that he was "shocked by their attitude" and "lack of steel". Well sort it Curb's, and start by asking a few to close the door behind them.

"The Football Association has rejected Joey Barton and Paul Konchesky's appeals for wrongful dismissal following their respective red cards on 23rd December.

Manchester City midfielder Barton will now serve a three-match ban with immediate effect, whilst West Ham full-back Konchesky is suspended for a single game."

Seemed a bit harsh on Konchesky (not the Scouser). Although not entirely suprising. But here we are again with Curbs being without one of his key players, who can't cross a ball admittedly but ,nevertheless, has been one of our better players over the past few games.

Manchester City at home on Saturday with a must win game. Both Clubs are very alike in some ways. We both have a large and loyal fan base who don't desert in droves even when confined to the lower leagues. We've both had our moments of glory in the past (not enough though!) and each should probably have won a more silverware to be honest. Both sets of fans deserve more from their Clubs, but sentimentality aside ... We really MUST win on Saturday despite most pundits thinking that we'll be ok. Too good to go down ring any familiar nightmarish bells?

Rumours naturally are resounding amongst a lot of Hammers fans and the pages of tabloids, with Viduka seeming to be the most likely (?) But frankly I'll be happy for the rest of this season to bring in any battle worn old horses who have the experience to fight in tight corners and help drag us out of our present position. The niceties can begin next season. And I'm pretty sure that the ever pragmatic Curbs sees it the same way.

My choice for starting line-up

----------------------Green---------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------

Pantsil------Anton--------Gabbidon-------McCartney

Newton------Bowyer--------- Mascherano---------Yossi

------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------Tevez--------------------------------

--------------------------Cole (deserves a chance)

Subs: Teddy, Etherington, Collins (if fit) , Mullins, Harewood

"The Football Association has rejected Joey Barton and Paul Konchesky's appeals for wrongful dismissal following their respective red cards on 23rd December.

Manchester City midfielder Barton will now serve a three-match ban with immediate effect, whilst West Ham full-back Konchesky is suspended for a single game."

Seemed a bit harsh on Konchesky (not the Scouser). Although not entirely suprising. But here we are again with Curbs being without one of his key players, who can't cross a ball admittedly but ,nevertheless, has been one of our better players over the past few games.

Manchester City at home on Saturday with a must win game. Both Clubs are very alike in some ways. We both have a large and loyal fan base who don't desert in droves even when confined to the lower leagues. We've both had our moments of glory in the past (not enough though!) and each should probably have won a more silverware to be honest. Both sets of fans deserve more from their Clubs, but sentimentality aside ... We really MUST win on Saturday despite most pundits thinking that we'll be ok. Too good to go down ring any familiar nightmarish bells?

Rumours naturally are resounding amongst a lot of Hammers fans and the pages of tabloids, with Viduka seeming to be the most likely (?) But frankly I'll be happy for the rest of this season to bring in any battle worn old horses who have the experience to fight in tight corners and help drag us out of our present position. The niceties can begin next season. And I'm pretty sure that the ever pragmatic Curbs sees it the same way.

My choice for starting line-up

----------------------Green---------------------------

Pantsil------Anton--------Gabbidon-------McCartney

Newton------Bowyer--------- Mascherano---------Yossi

------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------Tevez--------------------------------

--------------------------Cole (deserves a chance)

Subs: Teddy, Etherington, Collins (if fit) , Mullins, Harewood

Not a bad line up though I would keep faith with Spector and Mullins. I think they are both pretty solid even if they don't set the world alight. As for Newton he is a ghost from the past and although I like him, it's hard to see him in any other role, apart from shoring up the back. We need some enterprise going forward, so I would keep Yossi on the right. Interesting to see if Kyle Reid can make the grade soon and if he can play the Etherington role on the left? As for Mascherano I've got a feeling that he's seen as a delux player who is not suited to the premiership or is not ready yet, but If he never gets a game than it's hard to know what he can offer. Maybe his attitude in training has been a bit non-commital. I would like another look at Mark Noble and maybe bring Mascherano on when the game gets a bit streched in the second half. It's going to be intersting how City cope without Barton which might be good for Macherano as he'll have more space. I think the forward line looks interesting and I'd like to see that with Harewood coming on as sub with the codger in the second half. The career of Carlton Cole has been strange one: maybe he's not ready and will eventually go over to Bolton where Fat Sam wil turn him into a world beater! I agree with you about City and remember some of their good football in the early 70's. Fat Franny Lee, Colin Bell, Mike Summabee and that strange half-deranged woman who used to travel around with them with that bell! Come on you irons!

Not a bad line up though I would keep faith with Spector and Mullins. I think they are both pretty solid even if they don't set the world alight. As for Newton he is a ghost from the past and although I like him, it's hard to see him in any other role, apart from shoring up the back. We need some enterprise going forward, so I would keep Yossi on the right. Interesting to see if Kyle Reid can make the grade soon and if he can play the Etherington role on the left? As for Mascherano I've got a feeling that he's seen as a delux player who is not suited to the premiership or is not ready yet, but If he never gets a game than it's hard to know what he can offer. Maybe his attitude in training has been a bit non-commital. I would like another look at Mark Noble and maybe bring Mascherano on when the game gets a bit streched in the second half. It's going to be intersting how City cope without Barton which might be good for Macherano as he'll have more space. I think the forward line looks interesting and I'd like to see that with Harewood coming on as sub with the codger in the second half. The career of Carlton Cole has been strange one: maybe he's not ready and will eventually go over to Bolton where Fat Sam wil turn him into a world beater! I agree with you about City and remember some of their good football in the early 70's. Fat Franny Lee, Colin Bell, Mike Summabee and that strange half-deranged woman who used to travel around with them with that bell! Come on you irons!

Some sound observations there mate.

You may be right about Mascherano, he's our Lord Lucan. But from little we have seen he's obviously got the class but as you say just can't adapt to the Premiership perhaps. But , like Cole, he certainly needs the chance to prove either way.

As for Noble. Well there's an awful lot of people that rate him, and Ipswich certainly would have liked to have him there still. But to be honest I'm not entirely convinced about him. I think that he's lightweight and too right-footed. I have seen him play for Ipswich three times this season and got the impression that he wasn't ready for the Premiership. And in fact was pretty anonymous as well. But if the Tractor Boys rated him, yet when I saw him wasn't that impressed, then maybe that just shows that he still blows hot and cold? But I'm I'm still a bit bemused as to why Pardew took him back and didn't extend his loan if he wasn't going to play him.

I think that you're right about them missing Barton more than we will Konchesky. Of dear, has this got a 0-0 written all over it?

Rumour has it that Carlton Cole may be going to Wigan + 3ml with Camera joining us. Not sure that he hasn't got a fairly lenghthy injury though (6 weeks I hear). But I do rate him and it's a shame that we didn't get him in the Summer.

Ah, the biddy with the bell. That brought back a long forgotten memory. Gallagher brothers Mum someone told me. :o

Anyway from the Independent

"West Ham United have stepped up their efforts to sign Shaun Wright-Phillips for £10m and, crucially, are understood to be prepared to match the winger's £50,000-a-week wages.

At the same time, the Premiership club are hoping to sign Middlesbrough's Mark Viduka, having made the acquisition of an experienced striker their No 1 priority in the January transfer window with the manager, Alan Curbishley, unconvinced about his current options. West Ham are undoubtedly interested in Darren Bent - but do not believe that Charlton Athletic will sell the 22-year-old, who has just been installed as captain, with Luke Young injured, by their new manager, Alan Pardew.

Wright-Phillips remains reluctant to leave Chelsea, even though the club are keen to sell him rather than loan him out despite their injury crisis. They will accept £10m - less than half the £21m they paid for him in the summer of 2005. Indeed, it is believed that the 25-year-old, who has made only two starts this season, will accept that he does not have a future at Stamford Bridge only if he is told so directly by the manager, Jose Mourinho, and that has not happened yet.

It is unlikely that another club will match West Ham's offer, although Aston Villa are now understood to be monitoring the situation, with their manager, Martin O'Neill, wanting to sign a right winger. Interestingly, it could lead to a bidding war between the Premiership's newest owners, Villa's Randy Lerner and West Ham's Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson.

It was thought that West Ham's relegation fight had killed the deal but the club now hope they can revive it. Another complication for West Ham's chances of succeeding is Chelsea's interest in Manchester City's Micah Richards. City would be prepared to take Wright-Phillips, plus around £10m, as part of a transfer but the England international is not thought to want to return.

His family, including brother Bradley Wright-Phillips, who is now at Southampton, are all near London. Portsmouth and Newcastle United also remain interested.

There are also difficulties surrounding West Ham's chances of signing Viduka. The Australian has just six months left on his contract at Middlesbrough, who are are close to signing Arsenal's Jérémie Aliadière.

The Boro manager, Gareth Southgate - whose bid of around £1.5m for the West Bromwich Albion midfielder Zoltan Gera was rejected yesterday- is now trying to open negotiations with Viduka because he is aware of West Ham's interest. Newcastle are also following the situation.

Reports coming out of Argentina last night suggested that Javier Mascherano will be leaving West Ham next month and that Media Sports Investment, who own the player, have been negotiating in London with both Juventus and Liverpool. The Argentina midfielder is said to prefer a move to Italy but Liverpool have made the greater offer, believed to be around £6m.

According to a well-placed source in Argentina, MSI and Mascherano are hoping that Julio Grondona, the president of the Argentina Football Association, will use his influence as vice-president of Fifa to override the rule that prevents players signing for more than two clubs in one year. Grondona will claim that Mascherano's position at West Ham is hurting the 22-year-old's career.

"The future of Mascherano will either be in England or Italy but far from West Ham" said the source.

Mascherano, who played in every match for Argentina during the World Cup, now finds his place in the national team under threat from 20-year-old Fernando Gago, the holding midfielder who signed for Real Madrid from Boca Juniors last week for £13m."

A happy New Year to you to mate, and keddy, and those that read this thread dedicated to our much shat upon but beloved West Ham.

Anway here's the briefest synopis of yesterdays performance. Here's hoping for a better new year.

WHU V Man City - A 90 min microcosm of our whole season?

The likes of O'Leary, Bryan Robson & Coleman maybe young, naive managers, not with great reputations, but at least they brought their teams to Upton Park in the right spirit last season.

They, and many other managers aswell, came to attack and play a game of football, leaving some big gaps at the back for the 100 metre Olympic sprinter Harewood to exploit.

Ironically, it was Alan Curbishley, a year ago, who first sussed it and gave us an insight of what was to come.

Pardew couldn't resist a little dig at his old boss after a dire 0 0 at Upton Park but Curbishley responded by saying, "it's alright for you to say that now but wait until you've been in this game a few years and teams have worked out how to play against you".

Stuart Pearce was another young manager who came to Upton Park last season to play a game of open football and his team got soundly beaten. So not this time, oh no, Pearce had learnt his lesson and today it was 10 men behind the ball and a packed penalty area.

West Ham created nothing in an appaling match. Our play, through every channel, was easily stifled by Pearce's spoilers.

If you were giving marks today then Harewood would have to get a zero in my opinion. OK, 8 or 9 for effort maybe, but nothing for effectiveness in the match. He was hopeless, completely clueless as to what to do. Denied space, Harewood's limitations are cruelly exposed.

Etherington can't beat a player for skill but relies on pace and having plenty of space behind the full back. Deny him that space and he's completely nullified. Another 0, I'm afraid, for impact on the match.

We were left with having to resort to using the full backs as our only outlet - those two bastions of creativity, Dailly and Spector (and I'm not knocking them, they tried their best and had decent enough games but it's just so desperate when we have to depend on those two to make the chances).

A point about Tevez. He is a striker and NOT a midfielder!! A striker that likes to drift and pull out to the left wing, yes, but that is very different from playing in midfield.

In all the minutes Tevez has been given in a West Ham shirt, he's never once seen been played correctly, which is a disgrace, as having someone like him up front, with his close control and ability to open up defences was exactly what we needed from the beginning yesterday.

Instead we got Tevez as substitute, coming on during the second half, chasing back to the halfway line and doing the midfielders' job - albeit tackling much better than our midfielders seem able to do.

The Man City goal was a poor one to concede. Beasley had the freedom of the park as our defenders all backed off together, with no attempt to get near him, let alone try and make a tackle.

Meanwhile no place for Noble and Mascherano in the team - even when NRC is suspended.Although to be fair Mascher is apparently injured and that why he hasn't been playing . I wish that someone would tell us what's going on for a change instead of being involved in some Freemason like esotericism.

Nevertheless, our whole season encapsulated in 90 horrible minutes

I don't think that my team are THAT good...but West Ham were absolutley awful...no wonder the fans were chanting "You're not fit to wear the shirt"

I think you will go down unless something dramatic happens at Upton Park...no passion from your players...the captain does not seem to care a toss (maybee coz he thinks he should be playing for Arsenal...Walsall more like on that performance)

I felt genuinly sorry for AC...it looked like he was gonna cry at one point..what a bunch of complete no-hopers he has interited.

WHOLESALE CHANGES will be required and I think you are really lucky to have a new Chairman who has money to spend..problem is who wants to go to a club that are heading for a return to the Championship? You know thats where you are heading if things don't improve and quickly. Which will be a shame as we really enjoy playing you :o

You Hammers fans must be absolutley disgusted with how your team has played since Christmas...and todays humilitaion has probably soured your New Year.

Hope you can get things sorted as there seem to be a lot of Hammers fans on TV.Com

Good luck...you are gonna need it

TP

H H you could have summed that up using one word. I wont say it.

The worse thing was the look of bewildement on AC's face at the interview. It seemed he doesn't know why they're playing like this or how to get through to them. The team spirit and confidence just disappeared after the 1st goal. Can it really get any worse than this. At least there's still time to turn it around but where does he begin? On yesterdays evidence all 10 outfield players need to take a rest or be shipped off to Iraq for special duties, although Konch despite an indifferent impact, didn't let his head go down. How can we beat Man U and the goons and lose 6-0 to Reading within a couple of months. Reading are an alright side but they are still establishing themselves in the division and are not world beaters. (Good luck to them and well played but watch out next season). The goals came from set pieces or 50-50 balls lost in midfield when our players couldn't be asked to give that bit extra. The second was a shocker. The forth was a good bit of skill but we were so exposed again. Another year, another twist to the strange weird wonderful world of West Ham Utd. Happy New Year and we'll stay up with a bit of wedge from Iceland. Come on you Irons!!!

H H you could have summed that up using one word. I wont say it.

The worse thing was the look of bewildement on AC's face at the interview. It seemed he doesn't know why they're playing like this or how to get through to them.

snip>

555555 sorry guys, now you know what it was like for us Charlton crew for the whole of the 2nd half of last season.

Archived