West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

When is Ashton back?

February apparently. Although to be fair, it's unlikely that he'll be fully match fit until it's too late to make the difference. It's what's sorted both off the pitch and in the shop window that's going to save us. Cheers.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The worse thing was the look of bewildement on AC's face at the interview. It seemed he doesn't know why they're playing like this or how to get through to them. The team spirit and confidence just disappeared after the 1st goal. Can it really get any worse than this. At least there's still time to turn it around but where does he begin?

I don't think that I've ever seen a manager so obviously hurting after a game. I agree that it it can't get any worse. So the only way's up. Hopefully!!!

Sometimes I get a bit of a lift watching our younger supporters carrying on the tradition.

All the best.

From the rumour mill but probably a genuine source. From there on in it's just a matter of guessing where the caps fit for the time being.

The Chairman is as you may of guessed extremely unhappy with the players. He will meet Curbs later today to discuss the situation.

Curbs who is said to be shocked with the attitude of the squad will make his first change of heart and actively look to move some players on. There are serious issues within the camp and the Chairman is said to believe that the results over Christmas merely back up his decision to bring in a new

manager.

The players being are to be moved on for a variety of reasons with one of them being a disruptive influence, one not giving a toss, one of them having personal difficulties and the other three being simply not good enough to play for West Ham.

Curbs will look to bring in some of the following tracked players which include Lucas Neill, SWP/A Young, Claus Jensen, Distain, Beattie and Viduka.

Forget talk of a budget the Chairman will give Curbs what he wants.

I won't be naming the players for several reasons however I will say that if we were to stay up then I would expect the cull to be bigger in the summer.

The first objective will be to break up a clique of players and the second objective is to weed out a couple of players who are trying to engineer moves away from the club. You'd be surprised at one of the players in the not good enough column.

There are clearly a couple others that could fit that bill but it is unlikely that Curbs will attempt to move them on until the summer.

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76449

I saw the result yesterday and I couldn't believe it, don't mean to rub it in but my manager is a Hammers fan,

I was actually looking forward to going to work today. His face was a picture!! haha

Oh well I'm sure you will bounce back, Curbs is a good manager!

I've been biting my tonge for a few weeks now but its gotta come out

I know its childish

But you can't help yourself... Now piss off and moan about not winnining any trophies or some other innanities befitting the pea-brained.
Love N17

Exactly why would anyone love anywhere near White <deleted> Lane?

Love, London E16.

See the different meaning that correct use of punctuation produces ? Hope that helps, sonny boy.

Bobby Moore would be turning in his grave at whats going down at upton Park right now.

Its been quite enlightening ..HH's posts about the "Baby Bentley Boys".

but you must expect other London team's fans to revel in your imminent demise HH.

Whoever you get in...takes time to gel..I fear its too late for you now...but you can bounce back up again next year....fear it ill be either your good selves or Wigan...they are coming to play us soon so we will do our best to beat them...and we will.

Charlton & Watford are as good as gone.

Its between WH, Boro and Wigan for that last place..dont know any Wigan or Boro fans on TV ...so good luck

TP

but you must expect other London team's fans to revel in your imminent demise HH.
Don't wory mate. When it all comes down to dust we've always given back more than we got to the likes of Tottscum, Millscum or Chelsington. Fact.

I don't think that we have an 'imminent demise'. We can't go any lower than we are right now. As one of the better examples of the Chelsington species (Seapok) said...

I'm sure you will bounce back, Curbs is a good manager!

I make him right.

Curbishley adds Neill and Viduka to his list of targets

Jon Brodkin and Louise Taylor

Thursday January 4, 2007

The Guardian

Alan Curbishley has joined the contest to sign the Blackburn Rovers right-back Lucas Neill and is mulling over a swap that would bring Middlesbrough's Mark Viduka to Upton Park in exchange for Marlon Harewood, as he tries to drag West Ham United out of the relegation zone.

Neill and Viduka feature on an extensive list drawn up by Curbishley, who hopes to make at least four signings this month. Both players are out of contract in the summer and West Ham face stiff competition for them. Liverpool are confident of getting Neill, who is also wanted by Newcastle, and Viduka's suitors also include the St James' Park club.

Reports last night also suggested that a deal for the Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips worth just under £10m is close to being finalised by West Ham. Curbishley's wish list also includes West Bromwich's former Hammer John Hartson, an indication of the manager's desire to sign a player who can not only score goals but also hold up the ball and provide an aerial threat.

Blimey, Yossi will have to watch his back if Hartson returns :o

Curbishley adds Neill and Viduka to his list of targets

Jon Brodkin and Louise Taylor

Thursday January 4, 2007

The Guardian

Alan Curbishley has joined the contest to sign the Blackburn Rovers right-back Lucas Neill and is mulling over a swap that would bring Middlesbrough's Mark Viduka to Upton Park in exchange for Marlon Harewood, as he tries to drag West Ham United out of the relegation zone.

Neill and Viduka feature on an extensive list drawn up by Curbishley, who hopes to make at least four signings this month. Both players are out of contract in the summer and West Ham face stiff competition for them. Liverpool are confident of getting Neill, who is also wanted by Newcastle, and Viduka's suitors also include the St James' Park club.

Reports last night also suggested that a deal for the Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips worth just under £10m is close to being finalised by West Ham. Curbishley's wish list also includes West Bromwich's former Hammer John Hartson, an indication of the manager's desire to sign a player who can not only score goals but also hold up the ball and provide an aerial threat.

Blimey, Yossi will have to watch his back if Hartson returns :o

And his Head.

Stiff competition to sign Viduka are you sure?

Why do that lot keep thinking they are in White Hart Lane when they are in fact in the High Road.?

Just seems a shame when we had a decent team and it all goes tits up. Now we have to buy another bunch of players of the same ability we already have.

As you say H H it looks as though they all thought all they had to do was turn up after last season.

Previously 'reliable source' reckons Boa Morte, 5 million, subject to a medical. If the SWP thing happens then that's the two wings sorted then

Mr Dead snake, eh, sounds interesting he plays like a leader which is what we need at the moment but how old is he? Is he worth the money? SWP I'm less convinced but he can't do any worse on the right though i don't want to see the back of Yossi, who i would like to see in the middle. There has also been mention of big, fat johnny hartson. This is not so crazy as it seems as he would be an alright stop gap for this miserable season. Don't want to see the back of dolphin Harewood either but he looks like a player who has no confidence left in the tank. Come on you Irons!!!

SWP..read Trevor Sinclair a few years ago.

HH...how about a change of Avitar...very difficult to take you seriously.....however my other one is a RFC shirt.

maybee my current one is <deleted> too...but yours is just plain crazy man..why not just put a WH logo...I have never seen any posts of yours elsewhere..do you still live in the UK Mate

No offence intended

TP

PS..if you could find a pic of Alf Garnett that would be brilliant !!! People of my age worship him

"I'm goin down the pub ya silly moo" priceless

Mr Dead snake, eh, sounds interesting he plays like a leader which is what we need at the moment but how old is he? Is he worth the money? SWP I'm less convinced but he can't do any worse on the right though i don't want to see the back of Yossi, who i would like to see in the middle. There has also been mention of big, fat johnny hartson. This is not so crazy as it seems as he would be an alright stop gap for this miserable season. Don't want to see the back of dolphin Harewood either but he looks like a player who has no confidence left in the tank. Come on you Irons!!!

I'd hate to se Yossi go too. There's been a lot of media crap about him slagging off West Ham and all that. But he's come out with some very positive statements in refutation. The only two that seem interestesd in Yossi at the moment are Fat Sam and Harry. Can't see that he'd choose either of those two over us. But who knows?

It wouldn't suprise me to see Marlon off somewhere though. The guy's got massive potential but as you infer, he's a confience player whose doesn't have any at the moment. But that more often than not has been the way with him at West Ham.

Boa Morte's got about three good seasons in him. Twenty-nine is a good age for a player - plenty of experience but still young enough to deliver the goods. We'll see if this rumours right. As far as SWP's concerned , it's been confirmed that he's in talks with us.

Interesting days with a speculated four players coming and some of the charlies (pun intended) going out - hopefully.

HH...how about a change of Avitar...very difficult to take you seriously.....however my other one is a RFC shirt.

maybee my current one is <deleted> too...but yours is just plain crazy man..why not just put a WH logo...I have never seen any posts of yours elsewhere..do you still live in the UK Mate

Sorry if my looks prevent you from taking me seriously. Can't judge a book ,etc.

I am in Blighty at this moment, but am returning to the LOS in few weeks. :o

PS..if you could find a pic of Alf Garnett that would be brilliant !!! People of my age worship him

There's plenty of pictures of Alf Garnett out there mate. Trouble was that many couldn't - and still can't in some instances - see the parodying that he was all about. Warren Mitchell was himself a Spud and used to get slaps on the back at their matches because they thought Alf Garnett's bigotry was true. Mitchell himself was a Jew (don't know if he's still alive?) and completely opposed to anything that Alf Garnett portrayed. Still those idiots that thought his ideas on 'yer blacks' were good always were lacking in imagination.

But yeah, I used to like 'Til Death Do Us Part' too, Pretty dated now though.

I take it all Back HH...you are ceratinaly clued up for sure.

what is a SPUD?

he IS still alive...I never knew he was Jewish though.not that it really matters..WH have had more than their fair share .would that make him a Spurs fan then??

Luis Boa Morte was last night undergoing a medical at West Ham United after Fulham accepted a fee of £5m plus Matthew Etherington for their captain.

Boa Morte's departure may come as a surprise to some. But Fulham have been prepared to cash in on the 29-year-old who is a fans' favourite but has suffered an injury-hit season and wants to leave. Interest has been shown by Everton while Newcastle made a series of inquiries last season.

The left winger, who can also play in central midfield and as a striker, will be the first signing of West Ham's new chairman Eggert Magnusson and the manager Alan Curbishley. He also fits the bill of the kind of experienced Premiership players they are seeking to help haul the club out of the relegation places.

Boa Morte was one of Arsène Wenger's first signings at Arsenal before helping Fulham into the Premiership in 2001 and forced his way into Portugal's 2006 World Cup squad on the back of his strong performances. He was made Fulham's captain last season when he signed a new contract. But that is thought to have included a get-out clause.

Boa Morte had appeared to be central to Chris Coleman's plans but the Fulham manager is in the process of rebuilding his squad and is due to follow up Montella's signing with Etherington and that of the American winger Clint Dempsey.

Etherington's departure from Upton Park is unexpected although the left winger has failed to recapture the form of last season. Like Boa Morte, Etherington, who was signed from Tottenham Hotspur, has been hampered by injury.

West Ham, flush with the cash from the Icelandic takeover, are likely to be the busiest Premiership club in the January transfer window with four of five new signings planned this month. They are also hoping to secure the deals as quickly as possible given their plight in the League.

A bid of £10m for Shaun Wright-Phillips was verbally accepted before Christmas by Chelsea but the stumbling block appears to be the player's reluctance to leave despite it being clear that he has no future at the club under Jose Mourinho.

West Ham have also promised to match the £50,000-a-week Wright-Phillips earns at Stamford Bridge.

Inquiries have also been made for Middlesbrough's Mark Viduka, who only has six months left on his contract. If the Australian fails to sign, West Ham will turn to their former striker John Hartson, who is currently at West Bromwich Albion along with another experienced player on their list of targets, the midfielder Nigel Quashie. A further immediate priority is a right-back although they appear to have missed out on Blackburn Rovers' Lucas Neill.

West Ham, meanwhile, continue to monitor the situation regarding Darren Bent at Charlton Athletic. The striker is injured at present, and could be out for up to a month, but despite Charlton's reluctance to sell, and especially to a relegation rival, they may be made an offer, of around £12m, that they cannot refuse. West Ham would also appear to be willing to include a player as part of any deal to tempt Charlton.

................................................................................

A Fulham fans view

Boa was unreal for a good couple of years and then at start of last season he was made captain and at the same time coleman's tactics killed him as instead of taking players on he was told to cross the ball to Mcbride or Helguson. Honestly mate, in last 18 months, I can count on one hand the number of times he has taken a player on and it became so depressing to watch a genuine talent being wasted. One of the major factors why I dont like Coleman. That said, he also became a bit demotivated at Fulham and thattogethr with an injury may have also contributed to his drop in form, Being captain was the worst thing for him as well because it took the aggression out of his game. His contract at Fulham said that he had to be captain when he played and this was linked to a remuneration.

If Curbs can rediscover the boa of old you will love him, he will take players on, score goals, make goals and get stuck in. He has a frustrating and dark side to his game as well and will pick up loads of yellow cards and the occasional red cards but you have to compromise that for all of his good aspects.

If however, you get the Boa of the last 18 months, you've been done BIG TIME!!

................................................................................

Fifa have moved to stop Javier Mascherano joining Liverpool on loan from West Ham as no player can star for three clubs in one season.

The Argentinian international midfielder is desperate to leave Upton Park this month, having failed to hold down a regular place in the Hammers side this term. And it looked almost certain that Reds boss Rafa Benitez was going to hand him the opportunity to adapt to the Premiership with a loan swoop.

However Fifa have now stepped in to claim no move can take place as their rules prevent a player from appearing for three separate sides in the same season and Mascherano had already featured for Brazilian side Corinthians before linking up with West Ham ahead of last August's transfer deadline.

A Fifa spokesman told the Times: "The rules are very clear. Article 5.3 states that, although a player can be registered for a maximum of three clubs during the period from 1st July to 30th June, he is only eligible to play in official matches for two clubs in this period.

"In the case of Mascherano or [Carlos] Tevez, they have already played for Corinthians and West Ham United.

"The rule is binding. It cannot be deactivated just because it suits the clubs and the player in a certain instance.

"These rules were drawn up to protect the interests of players and clubs and to provide more stability in football.

"If a case was formally submitted to the Fifa bodies, then of course the Fifa bodies would look at it, but the view from our legal department is very clear that the regulations cannot be broken."

Luis Boa Morte was last night undergoing a medical at West Ham United after Fulham accepted a fee of £5m plus Matthew Etherington for their captain.

Boa Morte's departure may come as a surprise to some. But Fulham have been prepared to cash in on the 29-year-old who is a fans' favourite but has suffered an injury-hit season and wants to leave. Interest has been shown by Everton while Newcastle made a series of inquiries last season.

The left winger, who can also play in central midfield and as a striker, will be the first signing of West Ham's new chairman Eggert Magnusson and the manager Alan Curbishley. He also fits the bill of the kind of experienced Premiership players they are seeking to help haul the club out of the relegation places.

Boa Morte was one of Arsène Wenger's first signings at Arsenal before helping Fulham into the Premiership in 2001 and forced his way into Portugal's 2006 World Cup squad on the back of his strong performances. He was made Fulham's captain last season when he signed a new contract. But that is thought to have included a get-out clause.

Boa Morte had appeared to be central to Chris Coleman's plans but the Fulham manager is in the process of rebuilding his squad and is due to follow up Montella's signing with Etherington and that of the American winger Clint Dempsey.

Etherington's departure from Upton Park is unexpected although the left winger has failed to recapture the form of last season. Like Boa Morte, Etherington, who was signed from Tottenham Hotspur, has been hampered by injury.

West Ham, flush with the cash from the Icelandic takeover, are likely to be the busiest Premiership club in the January transfer window with four of five new signings planned this month. They are also hoping to secure the deals as quickly as possible given their plight in the League.

A bid of £10m for Shaun Wright-Phillips was verbally accepted before Christmas by Chelsea but the stumbling block appears to be the player's reluctance to leave despite it being clear that he has no future at the club under Jose Mourinho.

West Ham have also promised to match the £50,000-a-week Wright-Phillips earns at Stamford Bridge.

Inquiries have also been made for Middlesbrough's Mark Viduka, who only has six months left on his contract. If the Australian fails to sign, West Ham will turn to their former striker John Hartson, who is currently at West Bromwich Albion along with another experienced player on their list of targets, the midfielder Nigel Quashie. A further immediate priority is a right-back although they appear to have missed out on Blackburn Rovers' Lucas Neill.

West Ham, meanwhile, continue to monitor the situation regarding Darren Bent at Charlton Athletic. The striker is injured at present, and could be out for up to a month, but despite Charlton's reluctance to sell, and especially to a relegation rival, they may be made an offer, of around £12m, that they cannot refuse. West Ham would also appear to be willing to include a player as part of any deal to tempt Charlton.

A Fulham fans view

Boa was unreal for a good couple of years and then at start of last season he was made captain and at the same time coleman's tactics killed him as instead of taking players on he was told to cross the ball to Mcbride or Helguson. Honestly mate, in last 18 months, I can count on one hand the number of times he has taken a player on and it became so depressing to watch a genuine talent being wasted. One of the major factors why I dont like Coleman. That said, he also became a bit demotivated at Fulham and thattogethr with an injury may have also contributed to his drop in form, Being captain was the worst thing for him as well because it took the aggression out of his game. His contract at Fulham said that he had to be captain when he played and this was linked to a remuneration.

If Curbs can rediscover the boa of old you will love him, he will take players on, score goals, make goals and get stuck in. He has a frustrating and dark side to his game as well and will pick up loads of yellow cards and the occasional red cards but you have to compromise that for all of his good aspects.

If however, you get the Boa of the last 18 months, you've been done BIG TIME!!

Fifa have moved to stop Javier Mascherano joining Liverpool on loan from West Ham as no player can star for three clubs in one season.

The Argentinian international midfielder is desperate to leave Upton Park this month, having failed to hold down a regular place in the Hammers side this term. And it looked almost certain that Reds boss Rafa Benitez was going to hand him the opportunity to adapt to the Premiership with a loan swoop.

However Fifa have now stepped in to claim no move can take place as their rules prevent a player from appearing for three separate sides in the same season and Mascherano had already featured for Brazilian side Corinthians before linking up with West Ham ahead of last August's transfer deadline.

A Fifa spokesman told the Times: "The rules are very clear. Article 5.3 states that, although a player can be registered for a maximum of three clubs during the period from 1st July to 30th June, he is only eligible to play in official matches for two clubs in this period.

"In the case of Mascherano or [Carlos] Tevez, they have already played for Corinthians and West Ham United.

"The rule is binding. It cannot be deactivated just because it suits the clubs and the player in a certain instance.

"These rules were drawn up to protect the interests of players and clubs and to provide more stability in football.

"If a case was formally submitted to the Fifa bodies, then of course the Fifa bodies would look at it, but the view from our legal department is very clear that the regulations cannot be broken."

A couple of things HH. Last time i looked at the WHU boards, Matty seems to be staying, something I'm happy about, as he is still an asset and may be better used sparingly; and as a sub. The other thing is Dead snake's injuries; are we taking a gamble on this? Curious to know who the other targets are Upson, Johnny Hartson, SWP, Sidwell, Darren Bent, Lauren on loan. I've even heard Paulo mentioned to complete a motley crew! Are there any Icelandic jewels ready to be brought over as well. Also who do we cull NRC, Mullins, Anton, Zam, C Cole(the bling?) Codge, Dear old Daily and charley Carrol and charley Newton. Like to see Dolphin Harewood, Paintsil and J Spector stay. As for Carlitos Tevez he's the player for january on the latest calender. Does that tell you something?

A couple of things HH. Last time i looked at the WHU boards, Matty seems to be staying, something I'm happy about, as he is still an asset and may be better used sparingly; and as a sub. The other thing is Dead snake's injuries; are we taking a gamble on this? Curious to know who the other targets are Upson, Johnny Hartson, SWP, Sidwell, Darren Bent, Lauren on loan. I've even heard Paulo mentioned to complete a motley crew! Are there any Icelandic jewels ready to be brought over as well. Also who do we cull NRC, Mullins, Anton, Zam, C Cole(the bling?) Codge, Dear old Daily and charley Carrol and charley Newton. Like to see Dolphin Harewood, Paintsil and J Spector stay.
Etherinton's almost certainly gone as part of Boa deal mate. Not that he'll be worth that much. True that LBM is injury prone, but at least he doesn't have a psychological problem about being tackled. Im glad to see the back of Matty to be honest. Not least because he's only Championship qualiity, imo.

There are so many rumours and 'done deals' circulating. One of the most intriguing is about Anton being sought by the Spuds, but more likely being part of the SWP deal? Although it seems like SWP may be not too keen on joining us and there must be others in for him. But how many can meet his £50,000 wage demand that we apparently have? Not many and that's for sure.

Others, Viduka fron 'Boro and Lucas Neil from Blackburn along with a whole host of others, there is even a rumour that a loan deal for Laurent is on the books.

As for Carlitos Tevez he's the player for january on the latest calender. Does that tell you something?

Only that someone has an astute eye for asthetic beauty. :o

Reo-Coker's Cup absence fuels transfer speculation

Jon Brodkin and Matt Scott

Saturday January 6, 2007

The Guardian

Nigel Reo-Coker looks likely to be left out of the West Ham team for today's FA Cup tie at home to Brighton, fuelling speculation that the midfielder will be sold this month. There will be no shortage of clubs interested in buying the 22-year-old, with Everton among his established admirers.

Reo-Coker has endured a difficult season, being booed by some West Ham fans and receiving hate mail as the team fell into the relegation zone. Arsenal and Manchester United are understood to have asked after him towards the end of August but it is unclear whether they will try to sign him again. Arsène Wenger has said he will not buy anyone this month and United have made Bayern Munich's Owen Hargreaves their No1 midfield target.

There is also likely to be interest from Aston Villa, Middlesbrough and Bolton. Everton's manager, David Moyes, regards Reo-Coker as the type of energetic, box-to-box midfielder his team needs. Tottenham are looking to be opportunistic during this transfer window, considering an offer for the West Ham captain and possibly also turning their attentions to the centre-back Anton Ferdinand. The pair would be available for about £8m.

West Ham's attempts to rebuild their squad are continuing apace, with a £500,000 bid having been lodged for Boro's Mark Viduka. The Australian striker is out of contract in May and will not extend his current deal, which means he could depart for nothing in the summer, but Boro value him at a higher level than the Hammers' initial offer, not surprisingly perhaps, given that both clubs are battling to avoid relegation. It is thought that £1.5m might persuade Middlesbrough to relent, particularly as Viduka has informed them he wishes to move to Upton Park or sign a pre-contract agreement with an Italian club.

The Hammers, having completed a £5m deal for Luis Boa Morte, are seeking to seal their move for Chelsea's Shaun Wright-Phillips, with a £10m offer on the table, and are pushing for a midfielder. West Brom's Nigel Quashie has been a target, though reports suggested last night they had gazumped Charlton's attempt to bring Alexei Smertin back to The Valley with a 2½-year deal for the 31-year-old Russian.

West Ham 3 Brighton 0

A very comfortable victory against a team from Div1 who under normal circumstances you'd expect us to beat. And at least we found our scoring touch

There was obviously going to be changes after that disgrace at Reading last week.

Robert Green was on the bench for Roy Carroll. Paul Konchesky was replaced by George McCartney. Midfield saw Nigel Reo Coker being dropped for Mark Noble - his first start of the season. The other change was Lee Bowyer being replaced by Luis Boa Morte.

A quick word on Boa - I think it is an excellent one. He creates, he scores, he tackles and I am a bit surprised he has not been snapped up long ago by another club.

Up front was completely changed with Zamora and Harewood replaced by Carlton Cole and Tevez. At last I'd add, as I reckon that this combination should have been tried several matches ago.

The first half wasn't easy with Brighton showing enthusiasm that you'd expect. With Benayoun, Tevez and Boa Morte nobody would be blamed in expecitng a bit more creativity. There were signs though, with some neat intricate football but as usual the final ball was lacking.

Tevez of course looked the main man, and nearly made something happen when he skipped past two defenders and hitting a shot which was well blocked.

We had a bit of a shout for a penalty when Boa raced through into the box and seemed to be brought down. Probably a bit of diving though as he's lost the ball that as going out of play/

Brighton tried to get in behind our defence but most of the time they fell to offside. It was us who needed to force the play because Brighton seemed to have no intention of doing so. Close us down and play for the draw – as you'd expect really. There was an air of frustration by our supporters because we weren't creating chances and weren't lack of moving the ball well.

Just before half time Anton Ferdinand pulled up with a groin injury . He was replaced by Spector played right back with Dailly going to center half.

After the break Brighton came flying out of the traps looking to get straight into us . But only four minutes of the second half had gone when Noble scored his first ever goal for us.

Boa received the ball and sent in a cross to the far post... Tevez nodded down for Noble to volley at goal and it crept under the keeper. He really went for it with his celebration, and who could blame him? His career at West Ham has seemed to be waning in the last year. But Curbs was unimpressed to say the least. He was doing his nut on the sideline and had to be restrained by a match official. None of this pissing about with Curbs. Get on and win the game. Some discipline at last!!!

They Brighton supporters went all quiet eight minutes after our first goal. Carlton Cole scored to effectively finish the game as a contest.

Tevez did brilliantly on the right hand side and put in a cross which should have been finished by someone. The ball ran out to the left and Boa delivered a perfect cross for the unmarked Cole to volley home from a few yards out. Cole hasn’t scored since the first game of the season. I hope that this signals more opportunity for him to prove something.

From here on in we took total control of the game, dominating possession and creating a few chances.Tevez showing sublime skill on the right hand side, burst through and hit a shot which was parried by the keeper. A bit disappointing though, as if he had of just put the ball across to the unmarked Cole we would have had another certain goal.

Curbs made a few substitutions a few minutes apart from each other. Zamora came on for Cole. He was give a massive round of a applause by the Brighton fans who obviously still remember his contribution whilst he was there.

There was a great chance and although it was given offside, the Z-man didn’t know it. In fact it was one of the worst misses imaginable. With an open goal, he only managed only to hit the post from about a yard out.

The banter between the fans became quite humorous with the Brighton fans chanting “You’re Going Down With The Watford!”. The West Ham reply to this was “You’re Going Down On Each Other!” Tch.Tch :o

Newton came on to replace a tiring Boa Morte. A few minutes from the end he crossed the ball to Mullins who glanced a header home to wrap a successful day and to give the West Ham faithful something to at least smile about.

This may have been only Brighton & Hove Albion but it was a game which we needed to win to try and install some confidence back in to the side. Curbishley made a few changes and all of them seemed to work. He has already signed one player and if he can bring in two or three that can go straight in to the first team, then we should get clear.

Player Reviews

Roy Carroll

Didn’t have one significant save to make in the entire game.

Christian Dailly

Man of the match. He was the only one to come out of the Reading game with any pride. He continues to run and run - fighting for the cause. Captain today and he put in a captain’s display.

Anton Ferdinand

Came off injured just before half time. Didn’t really have much to do today but mop up a few headers and to clear the ball a couple of times.To be honest he wasn't really missed after he went off

Danny Gabbidon

Had a few shaky moments in the first half but often came out of them looking quite skilful. The second half saw him rarely troubled as he beat the striker to the ball on most occasions.

George McCartney

An impressive display. Showed some nice touches and comittment. Of course it helped that he was never really put to the test by any of their players. He deserves to be tried out more.

Yossi Benayoun

This game should have seen a player with his ability flourish. He didn't disappoint. He inked up well with Tevez - in fact the two of them ran the show really. But he still fails to find the final ball - although his approach play was excellent - he still needs to find the incisive passing.

Hayden Mullins

His goal capped a hard working performance - sometimes quite difficult as Brighton played a physical game. He went up for every header, and made some vital tackles. He is often overlooked, but he does cover much ground and keeping things together.

Mark Noble

Our West Ham boy did good today by scoring very well taken first goal. But I still consider him a very good Championship player. Played well enough today and his passing was excellent .

Luis Boa Morte

A successful and encouraging debut . Won a few free kicks which weren't really. Every team has a player like it. Made some good challenges and some bad ones. He's not only a very good player and provider but also isn't frightened to get stuck in. Money well spent I reckon.Etherington only takes on a player when he has no other option, Boa Morte actually wants to.

Carlton Cole

Hasn’t been given enough of a chance. He did well today and got his goal. Did his job.

Carlos Tevez

Ran the show today and was unlucky not finally get that goal which he really need and we all really want for him. Curbs, you really must start with him in every game!!!

Subs

Jonathan Spector (on for Ferdinand 44 mins)

Has a quiet game as he didn’t actually have much to do. Won the headers and tackles. Efficient.

Bobby Zamora (on for Cole 67 mins)

Hmmm. Not really Bobby. Time to move on?

Shaun Newton (on for Boa Morte 72 mins)

At first he didn’t get a ‘sniff’ . Ho Hum. A good cross from him for Mullins to score.

Overall

It was only Brighton , but how many banana skins have we slipped on before. Hopefully, we'll take some confidence from this result.

Carlos needs to play along Cole and McCartney. By next week we may well have a few new signings on board. Things may well be on the up and up.

West Ham 3 Brighton 0

A very comfortable victory against a team from Div1 who under normal circumstances you'd expect us to beat. And at least we found our scoring touch

There was obviously going to be changes after that disgrace at Reading last week.

Robert Green was on the bench for Roy Carroll. Paul Konchesky was replaced by George McCartney. Midfield saw Nigel Reo Coker being dropped for Mark Noble - his first start of the season. The other change was Lee Bowyer being replaced by Luis Boa Morte.

A quick word on Boa - I think it is an excellent one. He creates, he scores, he tackles and I am a bit surprised he has not been snapped up long ago by another club.

Up front was completely changed with Zamora and Harewood replaced by Carlton Cole and Tevez. At last I'd add, as I reckon that this combination should have been tried several matches ago.

The first half wasn't easy with Brighton showing enthusiasm that you'd expect. With Benayoun, Tevez and Boa Morte nobody would be blamed in expecitng a bit more creativity. There were signs though, with some neat intricate football but as usual the final ball was lacking.

Tevez of course looked the main man, and nearly made something happen when he skipped past two defenders and hitting a shot which was well blocked.

We had a bit of a shout for a penalty when Boa raced through into the box and seemed to be brought down. Probably a bit of diving though as he's lost the ball that as going out of play/

Brighton tried to get in behind our defence but most of the time they fell to offside. It was us who needed to force the play because Brighton seemed to have no intention of doing so. Close us down and play for the draw – as you'd expect really. There was an air of frustration by our supporters because we weren't creating chances and weren't lack of moving the ball well.

Just before half time Anton Ferdinand pulled up with a groin injury . He was replaced by Spector played right back with Dailly going to center half.

After the break Brighton came flying out of the traps looking to get straight into us . But only four minutes of the second half had gone when Noble scored his first ever goal for us.

Boa received the ball and sent in a cross to the far post... Tevez nodded down for Noble to volley at goal and it crept under the keeper. He really went for it with his celebration, and who could blame him? His career at West Ham has seemed to be waning in the last year. But Curbs was unimpressed to say the least. He was doing his nut on the sideline and had to be restrained by a match official. None of this pissing about with Curbs. Get on and win the game. Some discipline at last!!!

They Brighton supporters went all quiet eight minutes after our first goal. Carlton Cole scored to effectively finish the game as a contest.

Tevez did brilliantly on the right hand side and put in a cross which should have been finished by someone. The ball ran out to the left and Boa delivered a perfect cross for the unmarked Cole to volley home from a few yards out. Cole hasn’t scored since the first game of the season. I hope that this signals more opportunity for him to prove something.

From here on in we took total control of the game, dominating possession and creating a few chances.Tevez showing sublime skill on the right hand side, burst through and hit a shot which was parried by the keeper. A bit disappointing though, as if he had of just put the ball across to the unmarked Cole we would have had another certain goal.

Curbs made a few substitutions a few minutes apart from each other. Zamora came on for Cole. He was give a massive round of a applause by the Brighton fans who obviously still remember his contribution whilst he was there.

There was a great chance and although it was given offside, the Z-man didn’t know it. In fact it was one of the worst misses imaginable. With an open goal, he only managed only to hit the post from about a yard out.

The banter between the fans became quite humorous with the Brighton fans chanting “You’re Going Down With The Watford!”. The West Ham reply to this was “You’re Going Down On Each Other!” Tch.Tch :o

Newton came on to replace a tiring Boa Morte. A few minutes from the end he crossed the ball to Mullins who glanced a header home to wrap a successful day and to give the West Ham faithful something to at least smile about.

This may have been only Brighton & Hove Albion but it was a game which we needed to win to try and install some confidence back in to the side. Curbishley made a few changes and all of them seemed to work. He has already signed one player and if he can bring in two or three that can go straight in to the first team, then we should get clear.

Player Reviews

Roy Carroll

Didn’t have one significant save to make in the entire game.

Christian Dailly

Man of the match. He was the only one to come out of the Reading game with any pride. He continues to run and run - fighting for the cause. Captain today and he put in a captain’s display.

Anton Ferdinand

Came off injured just before half time. Didn’t really have much to do today but mop up a few headers and to clear the ball a couple of times.To be honest he wasn't really missed after he went off

Danny Gabbidon

Had a few shaky moments in the first half but often came out of them looking quite skilful. The second half saw him rarely troubled as he beat the striker to the ball on most occasions.

George McCartney

An impressive display. Showed some nice touches and comittment. Of course it helped that he was never really put to the test by any of their players. He deserves to be tried out more.

Yossi Benayoun

This game should have seen a player with his ability flourish. He didn't disappoint. He inked up well with Tevez - in fact the two of them ran the show really. But he still fails to find the final ball - although his approach play was excellent - he still needs to find the incisive passing.

Hayden Mullins

His goal capped a hard working performance - sometimes quite difficult as Brighton played a physical game. He went up for every header, and made some vital tackles. He is often overlooked, but he does cover much ground and keeping things together.

Mark Noble

Our West Ham boy did good today by scoring very well taken first goal. But I still consider him a very good Championship player. Played well enough today and his passing was excellent .

Luis Boa Morte

A successful and encouraging debut . Won a few free kicks which weren't really. Every team has a player like it. Made some good challenges and some bad ones. He's not only a very good player and provider but also isn't frightened to get stuck in. Money well spent I reckon.Etherington only takes on a player when he has no other option, Boa Morte actually wants to.

Carlton Cole

Hasn’t been given enough of a chance. He did well today and got his goal. Did his job.

Carlos Tevez

Ran the show today and was unlucky not finally get that goal which he really need and we all really want for him. Curbs, you really must start with him in every game!!!

Subs

Jonathan Spector (on for Ferdinand 44 mins)

Has a quiet game as he didn’t actually have much to do. Won the headers and tackles. Efficient.

Bobby Zamora (on for Cole 67 mins)

Hmmm. Not really Bobby. Time to move on?

Shaun Newton (on for Boa Morte 72 mins)

At first he didn’t get a ‘sniff’ . Ho Hum. A good cross from him for Mullins to score.

Overall

It was only Brighton , but how many banana skins have we slipped on before. Hopefully, we'll take some confidence from this result.

Carlos needs to play along Cole and McCartney. By next week we may well have a few new signings on board. Things may well be on the up and up.

Sounds better than last week at least and the pitch was probably on the heavy side so it was good we played with a bit of width. good that LBM played alright still like to see matty as a sub running at tiring defences in the last 20 mintues or so. They didn't show the game in SE Asia but saw the goals. Like to have Totteringham in the next round. Come on you Irons

Sam Allardyce has revealed that West Ham have become the first club to officially register their interest in Bolton defender Tal Ben Haim.

The struggling Hammers have contacted The Reebok Stadium regarding the availability of the defender who is out of contract at the end of the season.

Whilst The Trotters are doing their utmost to convince Ben Haim that his future is best served by staying at the club, a transfer battle for his signature looks set to ensue now Alan Curbishley has made his move.

The London side are in need of reinforcements in order to steer clear of the relegation zone and Allardyce has now confirmed that he has received an enquiry from Upton Park regarding his star defender.

"We've had an enquiry from West Ham," Allardyce told the Bolton News. "But that's all."

Ben Haim has also been linked with Chelsea and Portsmouth after refusing to commit his future to Bolton, but Allardyce is determined to try and keep hold of the former Maccabi Tel Aviv star.

Indeed, the Trotters boss is currently focused on strengthening his squad rather than losing a key element of his defence.

"The last thing we want is somebody going out," Allardyce added.

"If we can get one or more in, that would be fantastic. In the position we are in, we don't want to get too distracted by all the media speculation that revolves around the January transfer window and focus on our big game against Manchester City."

Allardyce has also denied that Ben Haim missed the FA Cup win over Doncaster to prevent him becoming cup tied

West Ham United have tonight completed the signing of Scottish international midfielder Nigel Quashie from West Bromwich Albion for a fee of £1.5million.

The 28-year-old has agreed a three-and-a-half year contract at Upton Park to become Alan Curbishley's second signing as Hammers manager following the arrival of Luis Boa Morte on Friday, and will go straight into the squad for our Premiership encounter against Fulham at Upton Park on Saturday.

The transfer signals a return to his London roots for Nigel. Born in Nunhead, near Peckham, in July 1978, he started his career with Queens Park Rangers and made his professional debut against Manchester United at Old Trafford at the tender age of 17 in December 1995.

After several impressive performances for Rangers, Nigel earned a call-up to the England under-21 squad, before making a £2.5million move to Nottingham Forest in the summer of 1998. However, his first season at the City Ground ended in relegation from the Premiership and, after failing to win promotion back to the top flight the following year, he joined Portsmouth for £600,000 in the summer of 2000.

After establishing himself at Fratton Park and playing a key role in Pompey's First Division Championship triumph in 2003 and subsequent success in retaining their newly-acquired Premiership status, Nigel took advantage of a new FIFA ruling, enabling him to accept the opportunity of full international recognition with Scotland, despite wearing the Three Lions of England as an under-21 player.

He made his full debut against Estonia in May 2004 and followed that up with his first goal for his country in a 4-1 win over Trinidad & Tobago just three days later. He currently has 14 full international caps to his name - the last of which came in a crucial 2-1 Euro 2008 qualifying victory over Lithuania in September.

In January 2005, Nigel was snapped up by his former Pompey manager Harry Redknapp - by now at South Coast rivals Southampton - for a fee of £2.1million. He soon became club captain, but spent just 12 months at St Mary's before making a £1.2million move to West Bromwich Albion.

This season, he has played an integral part in helping the Baggies to reach the play-off places in the Championship as they look to bounce straight back to the Premiership, and will now face a battle of a different kind as Hammers aim to move clear from the top flight relegation zone.

A full and exclusive interview with Nigel, along with reaction from Alan Curbishley, will appear on whufc.com later…

It now appears that SWP has turned down a move to us. Good I say, as who wants an overrated midget on 75k a week who doesn't want to play for us anyway. But this does highlight the problem that we will have at the moment with signing top name players.

West Ham United have tonight completed the signing of Scottish international midfielder Nigel Quashie from West Bromwich Albion for a fee of £1.5million.

The 28-year-old has agreed a three-and-a-half year contract at Upton Park to become Alan Curbishley's second signing as Hammers manager following the arrival of Luis Boa Morte on Friday, and will go straight into the squad for our Premiership encounter against Fulham at Upton Park on Saturday.

The transfer signals a return to his London roots for Nigel. Born in Nunhead, near Peckham, in July 1978, he started his career with Queens Park Rangers and made his professional debut against Manchester United at Old Trafford at the tender age of 17 in December 1995.

After several impressive performances for Rangers, Nigel earned a call-up to the England under-21 squad, before making a £2.5million move to Nottingham Forest in the summer of 1998. However, his first season at the City Ground ended in relegation from the Premiership and, after failing to win promotion back to the top flight the following year, he joined Portsmouth for £600,000 in the summer of 2000.

After establishing himself at Fratton Park and playing a key role in Pompey's First Division Championship triumph in 2003 and subsequent

success in retaining their newly-acquired Premiership status, Nigel took advantage of a new FIFA ruling, enabling him to accept the opportunity of full international recognition with Scotland, despite wearing the Three Lions of England as an under-21 player.

He made his full debut against Estonia in May 2004 and followed that up with his first goal for his country in a 4-1 win over Trinidad & Tobago just three days later. He currently has 14 full international caps to his name - the last of which came in a crucial 2-1 Euro 2008 qualifying victory over Lithuania in September.

In January 2005, Nigel was snapped up by his former Pompey manager Harry Redknapp - by now at South Coast rivals Southampton - for a fee of £2.1million. He soon became club captain, but spent just 12 months at St Mary's before making a £1.2million move to West Bromwich Albion.

This season, he has played an integral part in helping the Baggies to reach the play-off places in the Championship as they look to bounce straight back to the Premiership, and will now face a battle of a different kind as Hammers aim to move clear from the top flight relegation zone.

A full and exclusive interview with Nigel, along with reaction from Alan Curbishley, will appear on whufc.com later…

It now appears that SWP has turned down a move to us. Good I say, as who wants an overrated midget on 75k a week who doesn't want to play for us anyway. But this does highlight the problem that we will have at the moment with signing top name players.

Have to agree with you about SWP, certainly not for 10 milllion. I'm not sure about our plans for Nigel, though when I have seen him, he has come across as good, but limited, bruising midfielder who puts a tackle in. Will he replace NRC or Mullins? Probably it will give the other Nige a kick up the arsenal and get him back on track, at least for an inflated transfer fee, later in the year. I hope Mark Noble can hold his place as he has an opportunity with bowyer out for awhile. Pin up boy Tevez should be a starter for the rest of the season, though I don't know who he should partner. Did he fire well with Carlton Cole on Saturday? As for the defence I'm not sure about the Israeli. He's the kind of player that the opposition fans hate - with a hatfull of 'bringing the game into disrepute' tricks. I don't blame him for wanting to get out of Bolton, though, and with Yossi here and a better class of bagel in London, come on down. I'm looking forward to Boa v Fulham on Saturday. Thanks again for digging up the transferlatest HH

Curbishley targets Lauren and Ljungberg

Matt Scott

Thursday January 11, 2007

The Guardian

Lauren's departure from Arsenal has been sanctioned by the board along with Freddie Ljungberg's, provided they can find suitable clubs.

West Ham followed up their unrequited interest in the Sweden captain with a verbal inquiry for the full-back. The Cameroon international Lauren is out of contract in the summer and, with Emmanuel Eboué and Justin Hoyte having established themselves during his long-term absence through injury, Arsenal would demand no fee to release him.

The biggest bar to any agreement would be his £40,000-a-week wages, which Arsenal are keen to offload in order to reward the Togo international striker, Emmanuel Adebayor, with improved terms. That has not deterred West Ham, who are willing to meet the demands of players who will improve their squad.

Despite the speculation about Ljungberg's future the Arsenal manager, Arsène Wenger said: "Although I can't predict the future, Freddie's experience and winner's attitude means he still has a lot to offer."

There were unconfirmed reports yesterday that Lauren was holding talks with West Ham, who are known to be targeting a number of players in the Premiership. Interest from Blackburn Rovers in their England international left-back, Paul Konchesky, is understood to have been rebuffed since the manager, Alan Curbishley, would prefer not to relinquish players until he is satisfied his purchasing has been completed.

With no fixed ceiling to their transfer budget, the Hammers have already completed the signing of West Bromwich Albion's Nigel Quashie and Luis Boa Morte from Fulham.

Skysports.com understands that West Ham United are very much in the race to sign Lucas Neill, despite the interest of Liverpool and Newcastle.

The Hammers are very keen on landing the talented Australian and are believed to be putting together a tempting package - although it would appear they still face a battle to land him.

Neill is ready to quit Ewood Park after turning down all Rovers' offers of a new contract.

West Ham could also be in the position to do a swap deal, as Blackburn have expressed an interest in Paul Konchesky.

Should Neill opt for The Hammers, then that could smooth over a Rovers deal for Konchesky.

However, Liverpool maintain their interest in the defender - who they came close to signing during August, before the transfer deadline closed, and The Reds could yet offer Stephen Warnock as part of the deal.

Warnock was strongly linked to Rovers last year and he, like Konchesky, could easily become a make-weight in a possible deal - but much will depend on Neill's choice.

Newcastle are also still looking to seal a move for Neill and their interest can also not be discounted as all three are set to mount serious offers to the player.

It is believed talks between all parties are progressing and Neill's future could be decided this weekend.

Archived