West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

Interesting point about the black players but it's more of a perception that a languid style equals lack of effort. Clyde Best, included, although i can't remember him too well, i hastily add. Certainly George Parris, Leroy Rosenior, even dear old Abou were appreciated for their work ethic. While Kanoute and more recently Marlon and NRC seem to be cruising and making it look easy, looking like they're not trying. Paul Ince was slated purely for the Man U shirt, flash attitude and the way the mancs got a cheap deal in collusion with his manager. While there are bigots that go to west Ham. I don't think we're exceptional. The worse abuse I ever heard was usually directed at some of the white players Geoff Pike (unjustified, usually) Steve Walford (justified, the least talented player I have seen for WHU) and further back John Radford(completely justified, being a gooner looking for an easy pension).

There's a book called Black Hammers by Brian Belton out that you might be interested in. He's quite a prolific writer on all things on the history of the Club and even written a couple on the old Hammers speedway. I never really got to read it thoroughly as I got it one day and gave as a Christmas present a couple of days later. Think that I'll get a copy for myself though. But from what I saw it was a comprehensive documentary of our black players from John Charles right through until today - some great photos too. Anyway, the bit on Ince is interesting as it states the case from his point. Reckons that the photo was taken and left with his agent as the deal was almost certain to go ahead when he was away on holiday. So he had it taken and left with his agent for when the ink had dried - or similar. A Daily Express journo had got hold of it and published that one instead of one in a WH shirt, and it was all a big mistake 'honest guv'. I don't know but it seems a shame that there's still a five mile exclusion zone around Upton Park and he "could never go back to watch a match" (Ince's words). Belton reckons it's a shame too, as he would have been useful finishing his playing career at the Hammers instead of the mediocrity of Wolves. Belton also makes reference to the percieved racism as seen by neutrals.

You're right about racism not beng confined to our supporters . I do remember Clyde Best and also the bananas being thrown at him at Everton. Also when we had the superb fanzine 'Fortunes Always Hiding' (FAH) the Everton 'When Sky's Are Grey' was full of racist rubbish as I remember.

You're also right about the abuse given to some of our white players too. I remember Alan Mcknight (mare) saying that it got so bad that he just froze on match days because it got so bad (which is something of a suprise, as more often than not he was picking the ball out of the back of the net). But his point is taken.

Interestingly, in the bad old days of the eighties, when the NF were peddling their Bulldog rag their outside of grounds their top sales were at Exeter, Leeds, Chelsington and Millwall with West Ham coming around fitth or sixth.

Anyway about Freddie. I always liked him and thought that the label of being lazy was just not taking into account that it was just his style. I watched hin the other day and he still looks the same, but as I've previously said, he's scoring loads at Sevilla. In a way he reminded me of Bishop's lazy style. Although I don't think that he ever got any stick, despite sometimes been seen wandering aimlesly somewhere in mid-field. Saw him playing for an American team a fair few years ago now and he too looked the same.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting point about the black players but it's more of a perception that a languid style equals lack of effort. Clyde Best, included, although i can't remember him too well, i hastily add. Certainly George Parris, Leroy Rosenior, even dear old Abou were appreciated for their work ethic. While Kanoute and more recently Marlon and NRC seem to be cruising and making it look easy, looking like they're not trying. Paul Ince was slated purely for the Man U shirt, flash attitude and the way the mancs got a cheap deal in collusion with his manager. While there are bigots that go to west Ham. I don't think we're exceptional. The worse abuse I ever heard was usually directed at some of the white players Geoff Pike (unjustified, usually) Steve Walford (justified, the least talented player I have seen for WHU) and further back John Radford(completely justified, being a gooner looking for an easy pension).

There's a book called Black Hammers by Brian Belton out that you might be interested in. He's quite a prolific writer on all things on the history of the Club and even written a couple on the old Hammers speedway. I never really got to read it thoroughly as I got it one day and gave as a Christmas present a couple of days later. Think that I'll get a copy for myself though. But from what I saw it was a comprehensive documentary of our black players from John Charles right through until today - some great photos too. Anyway, the bit on Ince is interesting as it states the case from his point. Reckons that the photo was taken and left with his agent as the deal was almost certain to go ahead when he was away on holiday. So he had it taken and left with his agent for when the ink had dried - or similar. A Daily Express journo had got hold of it and published that one instead of one in a WH shirt, and it was all a big mistake 'honest guv'. I don't know but it seems a shame that there's still a five mile exclusion zone around Upton Park and he "could never go back to watch a match" (Ince's words). Belton reckons it's a shame too, as he would have been useful finishing his playing career at the Hammers instead of the mediocrity of Wolves. Belton also makes reference to the percieved racism as seen by neutrals.

You're right about racism not beng confined to our supporters . I do remember Clyde Best and also the bananas being thrown at him at Everton. Also when we had the superb fanzine 'Fortunes Always Hiding' (FAH) the Everton 'When Sky's Are Grey' was full of racist rubbish as I remember.

You're also right about the abuse given to some of our white players too. I remember Alan Mcknight (mare) saying that it got so bad that he just froze on match days because it got so bad (which is something of a suprise, as more often than not he was picking the ball out of the back of the net). But his point is taken.

Interestingly, in the bad old days of the eighties, when the NF were peddling their Bulldog rag their outside of grounds their top sales were at Exeter, Leeds, Chelsington and Millwall with West Ham coming around fitth or sixth.

Anyway about Freddie. I always liked him and thought that the label of being lazy was just not taking into account that it was just his style. I watched hin the other day and he still looks the same, but as I've previously said, he's scoring loads at Sevilla. In a way he reminded me of Bishop's lazy style. Although I don't think that he ever got any stick, despite sometimes been seen wandering aimlesly somewhere in mid-field. Saw him playing for an American team a fair few years ago now and he too looked the same.

Bish didn't get too much grief because he was a flair play-maker in the mode of Trev Brooking and wasn't expected to do the donkey work; therefore he could get away with floating around; not doing much at times. Geoff Pike, and more recently, Christian Daily were industrious but lacking in skill. However Trevor Morley, in the mode of Bobby Zam, lacked skill but went that extra 2% for the cause. I think Freddie Kanoute went out of favour because of the mystery over the injury he had in 2002-03 and the shortage we had up front that season. I always rated him as he was great at holding the ball up. There was talk of him coming back at the beginning of last season but he escaped to La Liga, as you know. I liked Marlon last sunday he really caused Vidic a lot of problems. As for Carlton Cole I wouldn't be surprised to see him move over to Watford or Charlton if AC doesn't give him a chance soon. I think Ashton and Tevez would be the ideal line up with Marlon and the old boy coming on as supersubs. Anyway we need cover in the midfield, especially the right and if Konch doesn't pull his socks up, a new left back.

As for Paul Ince coming back a few years back I'm not sure that he still had it, after Inter Milan. He does regret the photo incident in an interview I read, a few years back. He was a youngster at the time but the whole thing undermined the club and the incident with the failed medical led many to believe it was constructed to hasten the deal and West Ham were left to settle for a reduced transfer fee. His trips back playing for other clubs seemed to have turned comical. He was like the man with the black moustache at a panto. I don't think there was real evil intent from the fans, though, after the first game back.

As for Alan McKnight I remember the Luton game and I suppose goalies are the most vulnerable in losng their confidence but It was a nightmare of a game. It's fascinating supporting WHU as there have been so many twists in our story. You never know what you're going to get with this club, except fortune is always hiding!

As someone who opposes any move from the Boleyn Ground to some souless olympic stadium in Stratford I found myself in general agreement with this piece written by a Manc.

"West Ham has been, and will continue to be one of my favourite away games. Despite it being a horrible, horrible place to lose, I think of West Ham as a proper football club, with a proper ground, and proper supporters.

Fans should make their home as intimidating as possible for the opposition, and West Ham do that. I don't mean by blowing their gay bubbles or by joining in happy clappy chants, for there weren't many of these for 75 minutes on Sunday anyway, but by their general demeanour. When we were getting the coach in on Sunday, it was just lads everywhere. Going along Barking Road all you could see were young men in their 20's and 30's outside pubs, making sure the visiting supporters knew they were not somewhere that they could take the piss.

You've all been to United away games lately, and you know the kind of lawlessness that pervades the culture at the moment. I'm all for it personally. Its not my bag to go on the rob, start bother and generally make a nuisance of myself, but if it helps bring back some of the edge to going to football and stop it turning into a day out at Alton Towers then its more than welcome. There are places where you can go and do it easily, such as Blackburn, Wigan, Arsenal, Newcastle or Fulham, and nobody will say boo, but try it at West Ham, Everton or Tottenham and at the risk of sounding like Danny Dyer, it will 'go off'.

I know people who have come unstuck at all these grounds, some having knives pulled on them. What they all have in common is that they tend to be grounds in run down inner city areas, and remain relatively untouched by football's gentrification process. What they also have in common is the teams have remained relatively untouched by the concurrent Sky money infusion and have not progressed the way the likes of Liverpool, ourselves, Arsenal and Chelsea have. Everton and Spurs were part of the eighties big 5 don't forget, and both had at least as successful a decade as Manchester United or Arsenal.

The three grounds mentioned remain amongst my own favourite destinations in the premier league, and it is therefore with great regret that I hear of potential moves for Everton and West Ham. I see that as another part of football's soul being lost to mammon, but then, it's a bit rich for a Manchester United to take any moral high ground on that score.

Evertonians and Hammers should look at what has become of Old Trafford, Anfield and Stamford Bridge in the last 10 years. These are all places where no doubt they have feared to tread in the not too distant past, and without question they all still have their moments, but for every Moston Rat outside Macari's these days there are 10 goons with mullets and AIG shirts on over the top of their coat. Is this what they really want? Again, 90% of football fans are happy as long as they like what they see on the pitch, so it wont be a concern to them, but football mean so much more than that. There is a defined culture being lost, and if people stand by and shrug their shoulders then it becomes as inevitable as it is saddening. "

As someone who opposes any move from the Boleyn Ground to some souless olympic stadium in Stratford I found myself in general agreement with this piece written by a Manc.

"West Ham has been, and will continue to be one of my favourite away games. Despite it being a horrible, horrible place to lose, I think of West Ham as a proper football club, with a proper ground, and proper supporters.

Fans should make their home as intimidating as possible for the opposition, and West Ham do that. I don't mean by blowing their gay bubbles or by joining in happy clappy chants, for there weren't many of these for 75 minutes on Sunday anyway, but by their general demeanour. When we were getting the coach in on Sunday, it was just lads everywhere. Going along Barking Road all you could see were young men in their 20's and 30's outside pubs, making sure the visiting supporters knew they were not somewhere that they could take the piss.

You've all been to United away games lately, and you know the kind of lawlessness that pervades the culture at the moment. I'm all for it personally. Its not my bag to go on the rob, start bother and generally make a nuisance of myself, but if it helps bring back some of the edge to going to football and stop it turning into a day out at Alton Towers then its more than welcome. There are places where you can go and do it easily, such as Blackburn, Wigan, Arsenal, Newcastle or Fulham, and nobody will say boo, but try it at West Ham, Everton or Tottenham and at the risk of sounding like Danny Dyer, it will 'go off'.

I know people who have come unstuck at all these grounds, some having knives pulled on them. What they all have in common is that they tend to be grounds in run down inner city areas, and remain relatively untouched by football's gentrification process. What they also have in common is the teams have remained relatively untouched by the concurrent Sky money infusion and have not progressed the way the likes of Liverpool, ourselves, Arsenal and Chelsea have. Everton and Spurs were part of the eighties big 5 don't forget, and both had at least as successful a decade as Manchester United or Arsenal.

The three grounds mentioned remain amongst my own favourite destinations in the premier league, and it is therefore with great regret that I hear of potential moves for Everton and West Ham. I see that as another part of football's soul being lost to mammon, but then, it's a bit rich for a Manchester United to take any moral high ground on that score.

Evertonians and Hammers should look at what has become of Old Trafford, Anfield and Stamford Bridge in the last 10 years. These are all places where no doubt they have feared to tread in the not too distant past, and without question they all still have their moments, but for every Moston Rat outside Macari's these days there are 10 goons with mullets and AIG shirts on over the top of their coat. Is this what they really want? Again, 90% of football fans are happy as long as they like what they see on the pitch, so it wont be a concern to them, but football mean so much more than that. There is a defined culture being lost, and if people stand by and shrug their shoulders then it becomes as inevitable as it is saddening. "

Interesting article but is West Ham still the intimidating place it once was? I think not, sure if a mob came down thinking they owned the place it 'would go off' but I remember when no where was safe, anywhere, both inside and outside the ground. Green street, outside Upton Park market and outside the Boleyn pub, were the places where away fans were often bashed. I particularly remember Sheffield Wed in '80 Chelsea in 70's and 80's, Man U in the 70's etc. However it's easy to look back with a romantic slant and see it as a golden age. However if some little psycho pulled a blade then it wasn't so funny. Having said that those day and night games were special. Tottenham in the quarter finals of the league cup, in 1980, stands out, with the whole 'west side' bouncing up and down in unison, after David Cross's late goal. It would be interesting to compare the average age of supporters then and now. If you were over 25 you were certainly an old geezer, in most parts of the standing areas. Now when the camera pans over the crowd at UP, I keep seeing people my age now. People fat, going bald in their 40s. Also there's more females and tiny kids but not many teenagers. So with the pricey seats, no standing, all that youthfull energy has been priced out, not just at UP, but everywhere. If we did move to a new stadium it probably would kill the atmosphere once and for all. In Germany they still have some standing but ,packed with thousands of mullet headed Germans with 'taches. At least we were better dressed back in the day, except northerners with their perms, of course but we never did see many of them at UP!

Reckon that UP is more intimidating for our own players than anyone else nowadays mate.

I do remeber the days when opposing teams used to dread coming to our place, especially for the friendly cockney banter that they got from the old Chicken Run boys. I have this theory about why Mark Lawrenson seems to always have this down on us and it has a lot to do with that. But most of these commentators and media pundits appear to have a patronising attitude to us at best.

As for opposing supporters. I never got involved, but rather chose to watch from the safety of the West Side. But I do remember the first time that it did go off in the North Bank against ManU. It looked like the North Bank had divided more or less in half and you could see the glistening of either knives or broken bottles in the late spring sun. Nice.

I never saw much outside of the ground nor knew anyone attatched to the ICF at that time. But over the past few years have got to know Bill Gardner a bit. He must have mellowed a lot as he's just a just nice midle-aged bloke now. Still hates Millwall with a vengence though. He wrote a book with Cass Pennant last year based on his ICF infamy ('Good Afternoon ,Gentlemen,The Name's Bill Gardner'). Not my cup of tea but sold quite well apparently.

There's no doubt that since the all-seaters were introduced that the atmoshere has changed drastically. Some for the good and a lot for the worse. Good because it's safer for women and kids. Bad because the place just lacks the intensity and sponteityof the old days. And what's all this piped 'Bubbles' music all about ,<deleted> ! The old cockney knees-up place of brilliant humour has gone forever and international corporate capitalism has placed mockney accents and Thames Estuary bums on the seats.

Those games against the Tottenhan were a bit special. My first match was against them aged nine, when it was the traditional Boxing Day game. But so were the old two-leg League Cup games. I was even locked out once when there was a 40,000 crowd against West Brom, or maybe that was Stoke?

But as you say, it could get far worse if we move to the Eggy Stadium, resplendent with running track. Can't believe that the O's showed an interest. They'd have filled about two rows every match. But they, or anyone else come to that, are welcome to it. But please god not us, else I'll probably be off to watch amatuer league somewhere.

Reckon that UP is more intimidating for our own players than anyone else nowadays mate.

I do remeber the days when opposing teams used to dread coming to our place, especially for the friendly cockney banter that they got from the old Chicken Run boys. I have this theory about why Mark Lawrenson seems to always have this down on us and it has a lot to do with that. But most of these commentators and media pundits appear to have a patronising attitude to us at best.

As for opposing supporters. I never got involved, but rather chose to watch from the safety of the West Side. But I do remember the first time that it did go off in the North Bank against ManU. It looked like the North Bank had divided more or less in half and you could see the glistening of either knives or broken bottles in the late spring sun. Nice.

I never saw much outside of the ground nor knew anyone attatched to the ICF at that time. But over the past few years have got to know Bill Gardner a bit. He must have mellowed a lot as he's just a just nice midle-aged bloke now. Still hates Millwall with a vengence though. He wrote a book with Cass Pennant last year based on his ICF infamy ('Good Afternoon ,Gentlemen,The Name's Bill Gardner'). Not my cup of tea but sold quite well apparently.

There's no doubt that since the all-seaters were introduced that the atmoshere has changed drastically. Some for the good and a lot for the worse. Good because it's safer for women and kids. Bad because the place just lacks the intensity and sponteityof the old days. And what's all this piped 'Bubbles' music all about ,<deleted> ! The old cockney knees-up place of brilliant humour has gone forever and international corporate capitalism has placed mockney accents and Thames Estuary bums on the seats.

Those games against the Tottenhan were a bit special. My first match was against them aged nine, when it was the traditional Boxing Day game. But so were the old two-leg League Cup games. I was even locked out once when there was a 40,000 crowd against West Brom, or maybe that was Stoke?

But as you say, it could get far worse if we move to the Eggy Stadium, resplendent with running track. Can't believe that the O's showed an interest. They'd have filled about two rows every match. But they, or anyone else come to that, are welcome to it. But please god not us, else I'll probably be off to watch amatuer league somewhere.

I didn't know Bill Gardner, though I remember seeing him about back way back when. He seemed an old geezer then but was probably in his mid-twenties. Never read his book but I thought it was funny how Cass was trying he to get his book sold in the club shop. It's like they're part of the history of the club and where once they were a source of shame for it, they are now becoming as well known as Devonshire, Bonds etc. I've got great memories of WHU Totts, including my first game, '75-76 season. League cup 0-0, but a night game with 57,000 at WHL. Also remember the 4-0 in '81 with David Cross scoring all 4. For some reason untill recently never felt they were our main rivals. In the 70's it seemed the chelsea and gooners were the games i looked forward to. Beating the gooners and their dull football, at the time, and the east v west-contrasting sides of London-Chelsea game, stand out in the memory. Interesting to find out how much the atmosphere at City has changed since their move from Maine Rd. The Olympic thing I hope is another non-starter though we could use it for those big European games in the future, though The Ghost of christmas future could be pointing to a ground share with Dagenham and Redbridge!

I'd have taken the draw. I think that Konchesky was unlucky. Bring on Arry's lot.

12 Fulham 19-24

13 Wigan 19-22

14 Middlesbrough 19-20

15 Man City 19-20

16 Sheff Utd 19-20

17 Blackburn 18-19

18 West Ham 19-18

19 Charlton 19-12

20 Watford 18-11

Curbs's view:

You build from the back and if we can teach the strikers to score, the sky's the limit.

West Ham United boss Alan Curbishley felt they were the better side at Fulham on Saturday.

"We came here and we kept a clean sheet, we were away from home and I think we had the best chances as well,"

"It would have been nice if we had taken the three points, as I think we probably shaded it.

"The reason we haven't won too many games this year is that we have let 24 goals in and only scored 11, so first things first, you've got to stop letting them goals in.

"The fans have got to bear with us. We've got to get ourselves back on course and I'm trying to do that."

Curbishley said he will appeal against the red card that Paul Konchesky received for an alleged professional foul on Fulham's Wayne Routledge.

"I think he's come across, I think he's got the ball, and I think that's not a sending off," he added.

"I think (referee) Chris (Foy) will look at that and overturn it. He could've just left it."

Curbs's view:

You build from the back and if we can teach the strikers to score, the sky's the limit.

West Ham United boss Alan Curbishley felt they were the better side at Fulham on Saturday.

"We came here and we kept a clean sheet, we were away from home and I think we had the best chances as well,"

"It would have been nice if we had taken the three points, as I think we probably shaded it.

"The reason we haven't won too many games this year is that we have let 24 goals in and only scored 11, so first things first, you've got to stop letting them goals in.

"The fans have got to bear with us. We've got to get ourselves back on course and I'm trying to do that."

Curbishley said he will appeal against the red card that Paul Konchesky received for an alleged professional foul on Fulham's Wayne Routledge.

"I think he's come across, I think he's got the ball, and I think that's not a sending off," he added.

"I think (referee) Chris (Foy) will look at that and overturn it. He could've just left it."

Saw the game, and although we kept them at bay, it reminded me, a little, of the Everton game: lots of possession, corners and general huff and puff but still lacking in front of the old onion bag, as big ron would put it. I'm still curious about the missing Tevez and if Konch had not been sent off would he have dared put him on, instead of McCartney. I doubt it but his pace could have caused a few problems for the patched up fulham defence. The worrying thing is that it could be the weakest defence we'll face-apart from Brighton-this season and we still couldn't put one in. I thought Anton and dear old Daily did a good job. Konch, apart from the unlucky red card did alright though cautious and staying back more than usual. Ditto Spector. The midfield was a little bit disappointing, especially Mullins and Bowyer. The front line did ok but Tevez would have offered the unpredictable factor. Still stopped the rot and our keeper looked alright apart from on silly slap in the first half. Maybe the NRC and Konch suspensions will be a blessing in disguise, as it will give a chance to see other combinations. Interesting to see what kind of reception Bagpuss gets when Pompey roll in and will Barton be suspended for the Man City game. Anyway Happy Curbmass and a Hammer New Year for you Happy Hammer and all the other exiles who follow our wonderful club.

Saw the game, and although we kept them at bay, it reminded me, a little, of the Everton game: lots of possession, corners and general huff and puff but still lacking in front of the old onion bag, as big ron would put it. I'm still curious about the missing Tevez and if Konch had not been sent off would he have dared put him on, instead of McCartney. I doubt it but his pace could have caused a few problems for the patched up fulham defence. The worrying thing is that it could be the weakest defence we'll face-apart from Brighton-this season and we still couldn't put one in. I thought Anton and dear old Daily did a good job. Konch, apart from the unlucky red card did alright though cautious and staying back more than usual. Ditto Spector. The midfield was a little bit disappointing, especially Mullins and Bowyer. The front line did ok but Tevez would have offered the unpredictable factor. Still stopped the rot and our keeper looked alright apart from on silly slap in the first half. Maybe the NRC and Konch suspensions will be a blessing in disguise, as it will give a chance to see other combinations. Interesting to see what kind of reception Bagpuss gets when Pompey roll in and will Barton be suspended for the Man City game. Anyway Happy Curbmass and a Hammer New Year for you Happy Hammer and all the other exiles who follow our wonderful club.

Hi keddy

and seasonal greetings to you mate.

I agree about Tevez. I'm not quite sure why Curbs sees so reluctant to start Carlos and even more bewildering is why Mascherano can't even make the squad? I guess it must be something to do with his attitude in training. Unless it's the Alf Garnett factor,"Yer beeding foreigners ain't it."

I also think that we lack real class up front.

Anyway here's my ratings.

Robert Green

Must surely be in for the England's no 1 spot. I think that his confident presence has really helped the defence to play in the same way. He never looked like he would be beaten yesterday. Claims crosses well and is always looking to play the quick ball out to get an attack going, alhtough there were times where he was frustrated with the lack of options. 8

Jonathan Spector

He played just okay today, which just about sums him up really. He does a job, but Curb's should look for a better right back come January. 5

Anton Ferdinand

He put in one of those big performances that are a delight to see. Nothing fancy about this showing, just good old fashion defending. 9 MOTM

Christian Dailly

Old 'football genius' put in a good game. He isn’t great on the ball but his heading and clearances were good enough and he showed everyone that when we are in need he can come in and do a capable job. It wasn't easy for the defence with the ariel power Helguson and McBride. But our defence generally coped well. 7

Paul Konchesky

I'm not a great fan , but a good performance yesterday.Should get his red card rescinded. 7

Lee Bowyer

Needs to get more involved . Poor in possession. Might get the chance to play in center midfield against Man City when Reo Coker is suspended. 5

Nigel Reo Coker

I'm no NRC hater and think that he has great potential (probably realised elsewhere though). I think that he tried hard and looked good most of the time. His booking will mean he will miss the Man City game. It'll be interesting to see the side without him against Man City. 7

Hayden Mullins

A few misplaced passes in the second half aside, but he put in a strong performance as a defensive midfielder. Protected the back four well and overall put in a solid although unspectacular performance. 6

Matthew Etherington

Got clattered in the first half and that was the end of Etherington as an attacking threat for the remainder of the game. He's really isn't up to the Premiership. 4

Marlon Harewood

Not the best performance from Marlon. Never made any runs in behind the Fulham defence. But was unlucky with a couple of chance. 5

Bobby Zamora

Huff and Puff. He was average and never looked like scoring. Tevez is obviously the better option. 4

Subs

Yossi Benayoun

Looked more like his old self with some bursting runs and willingness to take players on. He should start games now.

Teddy Sheringham

Why not bring on Tevez instead? Gave his all as per, but never really made an impact.

George McCartney

Curb's had no choice once Konchesky had been sent off.

Our away support. Superb. 9

Overall. Can't argue with 4 out of 2. And we might have snatched it but for some bad luck and good goalkeeping. We are still light-weight in attack and need another right back and a holding mid-fielder. Still Curbs looks like he's beginning to sort it and I think that we'll get reusults in the next two matches.

Should be better when we get Ashton back. I think the Argentian thing is political. They will be off soon.

I suppose that either or both could be off on loan to Spain or somewhere until June. But they can't sign for anyone until then as FIFA rules dictate that you can't sign for more than two Clubs in one year. I'd like us to keep hold of Tevez though. He's a crowd favourite now and not lacking in class of course.

To be honest mate I don't think that we can rely on Ashton too much when he returns in Febuary (?) because he just won't be match fit. But we've cerainly been unlucky not to have him thus far.

Rumours still circulate about Danny Murphy and Darren Bent coming to us. I think that we can put the SWP thing to rest though. I can't see that one happening at all.

Should be better when we get Ashton back. I think the Argentian thing is political. They will be off soon.

I suppose that either or both could be off on loan to Spain or somewhere until June. But they can't sign for anyone until then as FIFA rules dictate that you can't sign for more than two Clubs in one year. I'd like us to keep hold of Tevez though. He's a crowd favourite now and not lacking in class of course.

To be honest mate I don't think that we can rely on Ashton too much when he returns in Febuary (?) because he just won't be match fit. But we've cerainly been unlucky not to have him thus far.

Rumours still circulate about Danny Murphy and Darren Bent coming to us. I think that we can put the SWP thing to rest though. I can't see that one happening at all.

Murphy and Bent. Two more average players. Got too many of them already.

Agreed Tevez looked good without threatening much. We just do not look like scoring. Harewood, Zamora honest hard working players but not top class.

Murphy and Bent. Two more average players. Got too many of them already.

Agreed Tevez looked good without threatening much. We just do not look like scoring. Harewood, Zamora honest hard working players but not top class.

I can't decide about Marlon, it's been too easy to get on his back before. He can look very dangerous, but most of the time this season he's just been lacking in confidence. I'd like to see him still selected in partnership with either Tevez or Ashton when he comes back. But I suppose that we've just got to accept thet he's at his best when he doesn't have time to think about what he's doing, otherwise he's just just makes a gaff of it.

As for the rest of what you say, I've no argument.

Archived