West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

As an aside...where is Happy Hammer?

He has not posted in over a month!

Again I cannot understand what Eggie said to be factual about Pardew.

He was a magnificent coach ar Reading...all the players loved him.

How come he managed to get West Ham to 10th last season and an FA Cup Final then???

How could he "lose" the dressing room overnight?

Was it the Argies that upset the apple cart...or Reo(Ishould be playing for Arsenal) Coker?

Pardew is NOT a bad Man Manager..look what happened in that spat with Wenger...Passion...or what?

I think you may be right when you say that Eggie is stiring things up so that he gets no support from the West Ham fans on Saturday.....however I believe he was your best manager since HR...and what on earth were they thinking of when they sacked one of the best managers in the Premiership!!!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As an aside...where is Happy Hammer?

He has not posted in over a month!

Again I cannot understand what Eggie said to be factual about Pardew.

He was a magnificent coach ar Reading...all the players loved him.

How come he managed to get West Ham to 10th last season and an FA Cup Final then???

How could he "lose" the dressing room overnight?

Was it the Argies that upset the apple cart...or Reo(Ishould be playing for Arsenal) Coker?

Pardew is NOT a bad Man Manager..look what happened in that spat with Wenger...Passion...or what?

I think you may be right when you say that Eggie is stiring things up so that he gets no support from the West Ham fans on Saturday.....however I believe he was your best manager since HR...and what on earth were they thinking of when they sacked one of the best managers in the Premiership!!!

I agree he's not a bad manager, he's certainly gives a better post-match interview and comes across as dynamic figure. however you have to rememember that we had our worst run of defeats since the 20's and there was a definite lack of urgency from the squad to get ourselves out of it. Alongside this were rumours of favouritism to certain players, mid-life crisis with red Ferraris and players wives. The whole story hasn't come out yet but there was something wrong and Egghead had to make a decision, though most WHU fans thought that he would be given the transfer window to change things and it was a shock when it happened so soon. I think he felt Alan Curbs was a safe pair of hands, at least in the short/medium term and was a better bet to steady the ship. Well he is obviously isn't at the moment but would Pards have done any better. I doubt it. I think player power is such that if a clique doesn't respect or agree with their managers decisions or are looking to move on, they play below par and there's little anyone can do to get them playing with any conviction. They are on a fat wedge already and if they get moved on they will gain again with transfer bonuses. As for Happy Hammer I think he's had enough and has become a monk in the forests in Issan. :o

I just read that Nigel Quashie has been relegated from the Premiership no less than 4 times.

If the Hammers go down this year he will have the record for the most relegated player in EPL History.!

PS I see your point about Pardew.

Just re-read my post and it looks like my grammar is going to pieces in the heat,as well! Anyway Nigel Quashie or 'Kazi' as he is known lovingly by the fans, was brought in to add a a bit of steel to the midfield. He played alright the first couple of games but has since decided to live up to his type-cast role as relegation bound journeyman. It's not his fault, in fact, I think he's a useful player at times but the whole side is lacking in conviction that even Bobby Moore would be struggling in this team. Obviously it's down to the coach but Curbs is a quiet cultivate, slowly type of manager and hasn't got time to arrest the slide. He needs an extended break to work on the players in training and bring them on through the pre-season friendlies, in time for an approaching season. He's also had a lot of bad luck (echoes of steve bruce last year) with injuries. Most WHU fans are becoming fatalistic about this year with a 'rip it up and start again' attitude. Luckily Egg seems to loaded and will put his hand in pockets to get the club out of the fizzy next year( if we don't turn it around this time). As for Reading be careful of the dreaded second season syndrome, especially if your players start to believe they're bigger than they are and should be playing in the champions league ASAP.

My biggest fear Keddy is that the team may break up at the end of the season....if some of the big clubs come knocking for some of our players who have proved themselves to be great players at this level...how can a club like Reading stand in their way?

Doyle, Sonko, Hannaman, Hunt Lita, and especially Steve Sidwell who's position remains far from clear could all be very tempted to move to bigger more fashionable clubs than Reading...and who can blame them? They all want to win big things.

I do not think however that Steve Coppelll will let this season's sucess go to the players heads..nobody (including the fans) expected us to be where we are right now...and we would be living in cloud cookoo land if we felt that we could emulate this seasons sucess next year. Having said that he has built up a good squad of fringe players and any one of them can step in and perform at any given moment (re Man Utd last weekend)..However now that this season's safety is assured I do worry about next year after seeing what has transpired at West Ham and Wigan

I would be more than happy to be a "Boro" a "Blackburn" a Man City" or a "Fulham" in otherwords a mid-table side but still in the EPL///or to be a "Bolton" would be fantastic.

But for now..we only have 11 games remaining and only have to play Arsenal Liverpool and Bolton who are above us, so European Football is not beyond us next season. I just wish we would make a big push on the FA Cup front now we are safe ,any other team would but SC wants to stack with the team that has got us this far in the competition ....he puts the fringe players before his own personal ambition...Reading have to have one of the most harmonius dressing rooms in the league...everyone gets a chance...maybee that is the secret of Reading's sucess over the last 18 months!

On another point (excuse the pun) did you know that for each point Reading have secured this season the cost per point has beed 120,000 pounds. For each point Chelsea have earned the cost has been 3.5m ! based on the cost of the squad.

I really hope that West Ham survive...their football was always pleasurable to watch, though I am not too sure about Charlton being a pleasure to watch..I don't know how you will get that back..but I really hope you do.

It must be tough being a West Ham fan right now...but we have all been there...9 years ago , just before we opened our new stadium we were relegated to League 1 where we had to play the likes of Oxford and Swindon and did not always win those games...even at home...crowds of 6,000 were the norm....dark days...everyone has them, even if you do go down as you say Eggie has the cash to pump in to get you back up....however I remain unconvinced that Curbishley is the Man to achieve that . You were not in real danger when he arrived..but you definatley are now.

He may have to look abroad.

Good Luck

TP

My biggest fear Keddy is that the team may break up at the end of the season....if some of the big clubs come knocking for some of our players who have proved themselves to be great players at this level...how can a club like Reading stand in their way?

Doyle, Sonko, Hannaman, Hunt Lita, and especially Steve Sidwell who's position remains far from clear could all be very tempted to move to bigger more fashionable clubs than Reading...and who can blame them? They all want to win big things.

I do not think however that Steve Coppelll will let this season's sucess go to the players heads..nobody (including the fans) expected us to be where we are right now...and we would be living in cloud cookoo land if we felt that we could emulate this seasons sucess next year. Having said that he has built up a good squad of fringe players and any one of them can step in and perform at any given moment (re Man Utd last weekend)..However now that this season's safety is assured I do worry about next year after seeing what has transpired at West Ham and Wigan

I would be more than happy to be a "Boro" a "Blackburn" a Man City" or a "Fulham" in otherwords a mid-table side but still in the EPL///or to be a "Bolton" would be fantastic.

But for now..we only have 11 games remaining and only have to play Arsenal Liverpool and Bolton who are above us, so European Football is not beyond us next season. I just wish we would make a big push on the FA Cup front now we are safe ,any other team would but SC wants to stack with the team that has got us this far in the competition ....he puts the fringe players before his own personal ambition...Reading have to have one of the most harmonius dressing rooms in the league...everyone gets a chance...maybee that is the secret of Reading's sucess over the last 18 months!

On another point (excuse the pun) did you know that for each point Reading have secured this season the cost per point has beed 120,000 pounds. For each point Chelsea have earned the cost has been 3.5m ! based on the cost of the squad.

I really hope that West Ham survive...their football was always pleasurable to watch, though I am not too sure about Charlton being a pleasure to watch..I don't know how you will get that back..but I really hope you do.

It must be tough being a West Ham fan right now...but we have all been there...9 years ago , just before we opened our new stadium we were relegated to League 1 where we had to play the likes of Oxford and Swindon and did not always win those games...even at home...crowds of 6,000 were the norm....dark days...everyone has them, even if you do go down as you say Eggie has the cash to pump in to get you back up....however I remain unconvinced that Curbishley is the Man to achieve that . You were not in real danger when he arrived..but you definatley are now.

He may have to look abroad.

Good Luck

TP

Thanks for that but as a fat little piano player from Watford once said "It's a sad, sad situation and it's getting more and more absurd" Curbs has looked pretty depressed during the press conferences, it's understandable, of course, though most fans want a bit of defiance. Pards was always good at this role but it all rang hollow for him in the end. However I don't want us to become a Man City, changing the manager at the first sign of trouble. We've only had 10 in our history and we've been going since 1895. One thing I did like about Pards and Curbs is that they are both able to bring promising players through and there's a lot of satisfaction throughout the club when this happens. Your club has done alright without spending much. I lived in Reading, for a short while,during the Lawrie Sanchez era before he moved to Wimbledon and saw a few games there every now and then. You've come a long way since then but it was an entertaining side. Also saw the interview with Steve Coppell on the box today and just wondering what Reading fans think of him only signing yearly contracts. Good Luck for the rest of the season. :o

Well a sad day for both Wesht Am and Sheff U. Both losing by four goals to nil.

Must say that its a bit sad losing to Carlton-under-dog though.

What do have to say about Mr Pardrew now?

Or do you blame Curbs?

:o

Happy days.

Oh really! Last time I looked you were 3 points behind Wigan and they have a game in hand. They also have a superior goal difference, which is worth an extra point. So see you in the Fizzy next year. If you're a spud or a 'fan' of another club then mind your own business or at least say something vaguely intelligent, insightfull, interesting or even funny but that's probably beyond you :D

You must be reeling Keddy......however you have to expect some ribbing from a Charlton supporter.

What I found amazing was how the West Ham fans stayed behind their team throughout the game...even cheering them on right to the final whistle...and no booing

They deserve a lot better...what on earth is it with the players?

They just did not compete, they did not appear to be up for it like the Charlton players were. I watched the whole game ...amd I am sorry to say that IMHO there is no way back for you with just 10 games left.

Curbs IS a good manager but it seems there is a complete lack of confidence running through the whole team.

I just get a feeling about Eggy.....I dont like the look of him..I know its a subjective comment...but I did not really apprecaite his comments about Pardew and its all blown up in his face.

As a Royals fan ...I did not like the circumstances in which AP left us...but I still think he's a decent bloke, as is Curbishley.

Reo-Coker...is he to blame for all this?...as someone has to shoulder some of the responsibility, or did it all go wrong the day the Argentinians arrived?. I have looked at your run-in and its probably the toughest of all the teams fighting it out down there.

PS. did someone once try and cut Teves's throat? Thats some evil scar he's got.

Anyway good luck Keddy....Personally I think whoever goes down it will be a shame.

But that as they say is football...you live or die according to how hard you fight and West Ham are just not fighting hard enough

Happy days.

Oh really! Last time I looked you were 3 points behind Wigan and they have a game in hand. They also have a superior goal difference, which is worth an extra point. So see you in the Fizzy next year. If you're a spud or a 'fan' of another club then mind your own business or at least say something vaguely intelligent, insightfull, interesting or even funny but that's probably beyond you :D

Well Keddy. If you think calling Charlton fans as 'Flask carrying anorak wearing' as funny etc, fine, how about this then. What was that game like? Embarrassing or what? It was like drowning a <deleted> puppy. The whole thing was all over as a contest after 30 minutes - literally all over for your lot.

As for Curbs, well tomorrow I will have more time to explain what a lot of Charlton fans really thought of him and why, with respect to TP, he not a good manager.

I'm just looking at our next five games or so and we should get ourselves out of this tight spot, however, I'm not so confident to be too cocky about it.

I will have no pleasure seeing 2 or 3 London sides getting relegated.

You must be reeling Keddy......however you have to expect some ribbing from a Charlton supporter.

What I found amazing was how the West Ham fans stayed behind their team throughout the game...even cheering them on right to the final whistle...and no booing

They just did not compete, they did not appear to be up for it like the Charlton players were. I watched the whole game ...amd I am sorry to say that IMHO there is no way back for you with just 10 games left.

Curbs IS a good manager but it seems there is a complete lack of confidence running through the whole team.

I just get a feeling about Eggy.....I dont like the look of him..I know its a subjective comment...but I did not really apprecaite his comments about Pardew and its all blown up in his face.

As a Royals fan ...I did not like the circumstances in which AP left us...but I still think he's a decent bloke, as is Curbishley.

Reo-Coker...is he to blame for all this?...as someone has to shoulder some of the responsibility, or did it all go wrong the day the Argentinians arrived?. I have looked at your run-in and its probably the toughest of all the teams fighting it out down there.

Anyway good luck Keddy....Personally I think whoever goes down it will be a shame.

But that as they say is football...you live or die according to how hard you fight and West Ham are just not fighting hard enough

Not reeling but resigned. They have been playing like this for most of the season,with the exception of the Man Utd and Arse games. I wasn't that surprised although it was still depressing watching that pile of 'ki maa'. Why are they playing like this? Who knows ?but I'll have a stab at a few areas.

Losing the cup final last year after being only seconds away from actually winnng it. When they lost the play-off final to Palace (in 2004) it took a long time to hit any form and we only scraped into the play-offs during the last few games. Maybe many of the players felt after that the only chance of silverware was to join the cartel (manure, 'pool l'arse and take the roubles and run 'fc').

The players are still young and inexperienced to cope with failure on that scale and they lost confidence, which was compounded by the arrival of the 2 Argentinos. language barriers, different football culture, uncertainty over the deal and maybe they were in awe of them, a bit, I don't know. Pardew failing at man-management, selecting favourites ahead of intergrating the 2 players properly. The negative press over the deal, was also an unwanted distraction Pardew wanting to be his own man ahead of the good of the club. Also he is completely lacking experience managing these kinds of players. The distraction of the takeover which dragged on for ages. Another change after Pards was sacked.

Why was he sacked? worse run since the 1920's and maybe all kinds of 'middle-aged crisis'stuff behind from the scenes with Pards, allegedly involving players wives-who knows. However it was probably just rumours. However another yet unwanted distraction. Curbs not dynamic enough, not able to impose his nous in the short term. Needs more time to cultivate his players. loads of injuries especially the defence. Lack of quality available in January.

Lack of right sided midfielder. Bowyer was injured but it was really a failure of investment from the old chairman Terence Brown in the summer probably because he knew he would be selling later and didn't want to put his hand in his pocket.

Lack of respect from Post-Bosman football players at this level. They can move on so easily without a sense of loyalty to the club (contract or no contract).

Anything else maybe the coissants were not hot enough or the herbal tonic cocktails too warm in the dressing room. Bah modern life can be rubbish

:D Fortunately the Mekon, Uncle Eggy has to see this through and in the long term the club will be alright :o The whole area will be developed for the Olympics and West Ham United should benefit from this.Though it's had it's insides ripped out this season and needs time to rebuild.

PS the fans are really the club despite the rubbish they have to put up with, everyone else just comes and goes. To be a West Ham fan you have to learn to suffer. I think we have an affinity with Man Citeh, Newcastle, and maybe Evertonians and it gets to be part of the tradition of the club. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Not reeling but resigned. They have been playing like this for most of the season,with the exception of the Man Utd and Arse games. I wasn't that surprised although it was still depressing watching that pile of 'ki maa'. Why are they playing like this? Who knows ?but I'll have a stab at a few areas.

Losing the cup final last year after being only seconds away from actually winnng it. When they lost the play-off final to Palace (in 2004) it took a long time to hit any form and we only scraped into the play-offs during the last few games. Maybe many of the players felt after that the only chance of silverware was to join the cartel (manure, 'pool l'arse and take the roubles and run 'fc').

The players are still young and inexperienced to cope with failure on that scale and they lost confidence, which was compounded by the arrival of the 2 Argentinos. language barriers, different football culture, uncertainty over the deal and maybe they were in awe of them, a bit, I don't know. Pardew failing at man-management, selecting favourites ahead of intergrating the 2 players properly. The negative press over the deal, was also an unwanted distraction Pardew wanting to be his own man ahead of the good of the club. Also he is completely lacking experience managing these kinds of players. The distraction of the takeover which dragged on for ages. Another change after Pards was sacked.

Why was he sacked? worse run since the 1920's and maybe all kinds of 'middle-aged crisis'stuff behind from the scenes with Pards, allegedly involving players wives-who knows. However it was probably just rumours. However another yet unwanted distraction. Curbs not dynamic enough, not able to impose his nous in the short term. Needs more time to cultivate his players. loads of injuries especially the defence. Lack of quality available in January.

Lack of right sided midfielder. Bowyer was injured but it was really a failure of investment from the old chairman Terence Brown in the summer probably because he knew he would be selling later and didn't want to put his hand in his pocket.

Lack of respect from Post-Bosman football players at this level. They can move on so easily without a sense of loyalty to the club (contract or no contract).

Anything else maybe the coissants were not hot enough or the herbal tonic cocktails too warm in the dressing room. Bah modern life can be rubbish

:D Fortunately the Mekon, Uncle Eggy has to see this through and in the long term the club will be alright :o The whole area will be developed for the Olympics and West Ham United should benefit from this.Though it's had it's insides ripped out this season and needs time to rebuild.

PS the fans are really the club despite the rubbish they have to put up with, everyone else just comes and goes. To be a West Ham fan you have to learn to suffer. I think we have an affinity with Man Citeh, Newcastle, and maybe Evertonians and it gets to be part of the tradition of the club. :D

Outrageous fortune with the win over blackburnt. Couldn't stop laughing at the sight of Mark 'old grey wolf' Hughes standing there in disbelief :D but it's about time something went for us and we showed a bit of spirit in the second half and fought well. Can't see us staying up but we need to put a few wins together and salvage some pride. :D Come on you Irons

Normally when you are bottom of the league you dont get the rub of the green.......well you certainly got it yesterday.

You have a very tough run-in ..BUT anything is possible..

Well we hadn't even seen a glimpse of green let alone rubbed against any untill yesterday. I was beginning to think we had upset the ghost of Ann Boleyn or had been cursed by clothes peg selling Millwall supporters with access to black magic. We still need a big overhaul next season and many of the players won't want to slum it down there. However there is still a pulse and the spirit is coming back. Also unlike Leeds we have a few bob and should put together a decent squad to come back. The big problem for me is following the Irons in the fizzy pop. It's going to be difficult in THailand but I'll try and track down some radio links, through the internet. I don't want to be sitting in front of a text screen, waiting for latest scores to come up. Ever done that? As for the great escape and I'm not thinking about it just taking one match at a time :o

Normally when you are bottom of the league you dont get the rub of the green.......well you certainly got it yesterday.

You have a very tough run-in ..BUT anything is possible..

Well we hadn't even seen a glimpse of green let alone rubbed against any untill yesterday. I was beginning to think we had upset the ghost of Ann Boleyn or had been cursed by clothes peg selling Millwall supporters with access to black magic. We still need a big overhaul next season and many of the players won't want to slum it down there. However there is still a pulse and the spirit is coming back. Also unlike Leeds we have a few bob and should put together a decent squad to come back. The big problem for me is following the Irons in the fizzy pop. It's going to be difficult in THailand but I'll try and track down some radio links, through the internet. I don't want to be sitting in front of a text screen, waiting for latest scores to come up. Ever done that? As for the great escape and I'm not thinking about it just taking one match at a time :o

Keddy..I subscibe to Reading's website..last year I used to listen to all the saturday matches...ummm of course I dont need it now as i can watch 90% of the games on TV and see the goals in the week from any games I miss,..I never stayed up for the mid-weekers..but the Hammers willl have the same kinda thing..its around 30 quid a year so you can listen to all the games you want to....of course it is not the same...but better than nothing. IF you go down! Which by reading your posts you are resigned to.

But good luck anyway..its never nice to see anyonego down...except my Missus :D

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see you keeping the flag flying , Keddy.

One up on the Arse tomorrow (so to speak) will do nicely - but not enough to keep us up I fear. Still yet another season in the 'fizzy-pop' (real fotball)? may not be such a bad thing and Curbs WILL rebuild from there (bye bye Carlos :o )

Cummon you Irons!!!

PS

I'm not sure what the below is a reply in relation to - but me 'ol mate sure scribes a fair old do.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story...os1&cc=4716

Good to see you keeping the flag flying , Keddy.

One up on the Arse tomorrow (so to speak) will do nicely - but not enough to keep us up I fear. Still yet another season in the 'fizzy-pop' (real fotball)? may not be such a bad thing and Curbs WILL rebuild from there (bye bye Carlos :o )

Cummon you Irons!!!

PS

I'm not sure what the below is a reply in relation to - but me 'ol mate sure scribes a fair old do.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story...os1&cc=4716

Welcome back!- thought you had become a forest monk and were trying to transcend our relegation struggle. Fantastic result yesterday and have a look at Arsene Winge-er's sour face on the BBC's site. 'We could have scored 10'-Well you didn't and we did get one and could have got a couple more. Robert Green- hats off to you my friend. Thought Ginge Collins had a great game; ditto Luca O'Neil; NRC played well and Bobby keeps coming back and proving that he has a banjo and he knows where the barn door is. Next week is going to be a different kind of game; more of a grinding, physical battle with Sheff U. I would like to see Dolphin Harewood involved because it's going to be pretty ugly. One game at a time as they say but Come on you Irons!! :D

I would like to see Dolphin Harewood involved because it's going to be pretty ugly.

Reckon that if we could have Dowie and Chadwick back as well, then we'd scare off the the best of any house of horrors.

Usual crap about the 'big team' missing the chances and little old West Ham getting lucky. As you say mate , they seem to forget our chances and that Boa-Morte missed a sitter as well. Stuff 'em. We'll take the points and relish the fact that our 6,000 (?) made more noise than their 50,000 odd.

Cummon you Irons. Alan Curbishley's Claret and Blue Army.

/me points and laughs :D

thanks for saving me the time to wait for you to join chat miggeh :D

Looking pretty tight. Not such a bad night with Fulham going down and Charlton, Wigan not getting too faraway with draws. Still haven't made up my mind about who is going through the trapdoor. On the one hand Fulham seem to be in the worst form, judging by the game yesterday against Citeh. They also have a difficult run-in: Reading, Arsenal away, Liverpool home Yet they have a lot of points in the bag already and play a couple of mid-table sides Blackburn, home and 'Boro, away. Sheff U have an interesting run-in playing Us, Charlton, Wigan + Man Yoo. They look a bit toothless up front now their target man Rob Hulse has gone. Charlton didn't look too great yesterday and look like they could fold. Can see Wigan digging themselves out which leaves Us, Fulham, Sheff, Charlton to fight it out. So I'm looking at Sheff U and Charlton to take the plunge, with the Hornets, though I still have this nagging feeling that we've left it a little too late, especially with the possibility of having points deducted with the Argentine transfer fiasco. :D It could go to the wire with Rio Ferd doing us a favour with another cunning back pass :D

:D

/me points and laughs :D

thanks for saving me the time to wait for you to join chat miggeh :bah:

Looking pretty tight. Not such a bad night with Fulham going down and Charlton, Wigan not getting too faraway with draws. Still haven't made up my mind about who is going through the trapdoor. On the one hand Fulham seem to be in the worst form, judging by the game yesterday against Citeh. They also have a difficult run-in: Reading, Arsenal away, Liverpool home Yet they have a lot of points in the bag already and play a couple of mid-table sides Blackburn, home and 'Boro, away. Sheff U have an interesting run-in playing Us, Charlton, Wigan + Man Yoo. They look a bit toothless up front now their target man Rob Hulse has gone. Charlton didn't look too great yesterday and look like they could fold. Can see Wigan digging themselves out which leaves Us, Fulham, Sheff, Charlton to fight it out. So I'm looking at Sheff U and Charlton to take the plunge, with the Hornets, though I still have this nagging feeling that we've left it a little too late, especially with the possibility of having points deducted with the Argentine transfer fiasco. :D It could go to the wire with Rio Ferd doing us a favour with another cunning back pass :D

Is the game on any of the Thai channels? Slightly peeved that Man City/ 'Pool game is on ESPN which has nothing at stake though we are in Asia the home of LFC so it's bound to pull in more punters. Anyway I'll track down the Sheff U WHU game somewhere on the net, if need be. Come on you Irons!!! :o:bah:

ok gotta give credit I suppose....

so here ya go phaze....

u are the first to beat us at emirates stadium

BUT as of tonight we are back :D see the game against Bolton?? :bah:

those that dont know the result yet....Arsenal 2: 1 Bolton :bah: or u can check it out at the best football team thread :o

Oi! this is a West Ham thread but I'm glad I don't have to discuss todays game :D Yes, I saw that game you looked a bit shakey, missing a few chances but that mistake by their right back let you back in and then you grew in confidence after that. You need Van Persie and the other striker :D back soon because you're still wasting chances. I thought Anelka looked menacing for Bolt but faded in the 2nd half. I also hope you've softened Bolten up for us because it's starting to look dark...very dark.... :o:D

Out classed!

I should say so.

Seriously,,it was a good game,,,your man Tevez was the man but ,last weeks hero Zamora,was crap.

All is to play for now,I thought that W H had more quality it their ball control than the Blades, but their finish was terrible. Other than their only only shot on goal which was brilliantly saved by Paddy Kenny.

Good Game,,,,good game

Out classed!

I should say so.

Seriously,,it was a good game,,,your man Tevez was the man but ,last weeks hero Zamora,was crap.

All is to play for now,I thought that W H had more quality it their ball control than the Blades, but their finish was terrible. Other than their only only shot on goal which was brilliantly saved by Paddy Kenny.

Good Game,,,,good game

Yes, we had a good spell at the beginning of the 2nd half when we needed to put the ball in the 'onion bag', as Big Ron used to say. Other than that it was a disappointing, from our point of view. :o However after the Goon result it was to be expected, it's in the tradition of the club :D:D . Bobby Zam looked half fit but we didn't give him great service and Tevez seemed to snatch at his chances. I though Sheff U looked resolute and closed space down well but limited in creating chances apart from a flash or two from Kazim-Richards. Anyway you took your set pieces well, great free kick from Tonge. Even Stead got a goal on the break :D . It's going to be difficult for you at Charlton but I think you can get away with a 'backs to the wall' draw there. Also the other results weren't too bad for both of us Fulham losing, Charlton losing while Wigan could only draw. It's not over yet!!!! :D

West Ham v Chelsea

Upton Park

Wednesday, 18 April

Kick-off: 2000 BST

Coverage on the BBC Sport website & BBC Radio Five Live

West Ham manager Alan Curbishley has no fresh injury concerns and is set to name an unchanged squad.

Calum Davenport has not been considered after his foot injury and Matthew Upson and Danny Gabbidon are still out.

Chelsea expect strikers Didier Drogba and Andriy Shevchenko to be fit after suffering knocks in the FA Cup semi-final win over Blackburn.

Winger Arjen Robben remains sidelined with a knee injury but he is expected back to full fitness in around 10 days.

West Ham (from): Green, Neill, Collins, Ferdinand, McCartney, Bowyer, Reo-Coker, Noble, Etherington, Harewood, Tevez, Carroll, Walker, Benayoun, Konchesky, Dailly, Cole, Spector, Mullins, Zamora, Boa Morte, Sheringham.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Geremi, Diarra, Carvalho, Terry, A Cole, Boulahrouz, J Cole, Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Makelele, Kalou, Obi, Shevchenko, Drogba, Wright-Phillips.

West Ham manager Alan Curbishley on his side's relegation battle:

"When we play the teams in a similar position to ourselves we haven't done enough against them.

"But I hope my players do not think it is all over. If we keep belief in ourselves, it is not."

Chelsea captain John Terry on the title race:

"In the last couple of years we have run away with it a little bit but United have shown great desire to come back and push us.

"We are pushing them right to the wire. We know we are within touching distance of them. One result and it swings back in our favour.

"But the respect is there for them and I think it's a mutual respect."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

WEST HAM UNITED continue the battle for top flight survival with this east versus west London derby against Jose Mourinho's Chelsea, who are still vying for quadruple honours. On the surface this would seem to be a mismatch between the clubs with the weakest and tightest defences in the highest League, between the sides who've recorded the most and the least Premiership defeats so far this season.

The Eastenders were on their best winning run of the season of three matches, when fellow relegation threatened Sheffield United inflicted a 3-0 defeat on them at Bramall Lane on Saturday. Three of their five remaining matches are at home, including this one. But they still have to visit Manchester United on the last day of the season, therefore to secure a third successive campaign at this level remains a very tough ask.

The Hammers are looking to beat Chelsea for the first time since notching a 1-0 victory in this equivalent fixture on 3 May 2003, thanks to the winner from substitute Paolo Di Canio.

CHELSEA return to League business after securing a Champions League semi-final with Liverpool and a date with Manchester United at the new Wembley for the FA Cup final. They visit West Ham bidding for a ninth successive Premiership victory to keep the pressure on the Red Devils at the top.

The defending champions are on the longest winning sequence by any club in the Premierrship this season, and have not dropped a point nor conceded a goal since Liverpool beat them 2-0 at Anfield on 20 January. It is their only reverse in 21 League outings, and in 34 games in all competitions.

A rare goal from Geremi, his first in 13 months, was sufficient for all three points for the Blues from the meeting with West Ham in November at the Bridge. It was their fourth straight victory over the Hammers in League and Cup. Now they're looking to 'double' the Hammers for the second successive season, and third time in the Premiership. If achieved it would be their eighth 'double' of the campaign having already beaten Wigan, Blackburn, Charlton, Portsmouth, Manchester City, Sheffield United and Watford home and away this season, while the Hammers have been 'doubled' five times (Portsmouth, Manchester City, Reading, Liverpool and Tottenham).

REFEREE

Mike Riley (Leeds, Yorkshire)

SEQUENCES/RECENT FORM

WEST HAM UNITED

Going into the midweek games: 19th 29 points

(all statistics are ahead of the midweek fixtures)

1. Lost more Premiership matches than any other club this season (20).

2. Scored 26 top flight goals - only Watford have netted fewer (24).

3. Kept just six clean sheets in this division. Only Tottenham have managed fewer shut-outs (five).

4. Conceded the opening goal in 69% of their League matches (23 of 33).

5. Failed to score in 17 Premiership matches. Only Manchester City and Watford have also fired that many blanks.

6. Lost more home games than any other club in the top table, with the exception of Wigan - both have lost eight.

7. The four-game run-in after this involves matches against Everton (h), Wigan (a), Bolton (h) and Manchester United (a).

CHELSEA

Going into the midweek games: 2nd 75 points

(all statistics are ahead of the midweek fixtures)

1. Won 16 and drawn three of the last 19 in all competitions, since losing 2-0 at Liverpool on 20 January.

2. Won 15 more Premiership games than West Ham (23 to eight).

3. Won the last eight Premiership matches with clean sheets in all eight and in 10 of the last 11.

4. Not conceded in 792 minutes (13 hours 12 minutes) of Premiership football, since Jermaine Pennant scored Liverpool's second at Anfield on 20 January.

5. Had 81 points after 32 games in 2004-05 and 79 points to the same stage last season, but only 75 this time around.

6. Won 23 times in the top division so far this season - only Manchester United have gained more victories (25).

7. Opened the scoring in more Premiership matches than any other club (26), and failed to score in two, and only Manchester United can match the latter of those two statistics.

8. Kept 20 clean sheets in the Premiership (won 19, drawn one), and conceded the opening goal in only five top flight games - better than any other club on both counts.

9. Lost only one of the last 10 League games on the road (to Liverpool), and won the last four (against Charlton, Portsmouth, Manchester City and Watford), without conceding. Kept more Premiership clean sheets away from home than any other club (10).

10. Visit Newcastle on Sunday, before next Wednesday's home leg of the Champions League semi-final against Liverpool. The remaining League fixtures after that are against Bolton (h), Arsenal (a), Manchester United (h) and Everton (h).

KEY PLAYER NOTES/POTENTIAL MILESTONES

WEST HAM UNITED

Bobby ZAMORA is West Ham's leading scorer with 10 goals - all in the Premiership.

Marlon HAREWOOD is a double shy of 100 career League goals (Nottingham Forest, Ipswich and West Ham).

If on the field at kick off, HAREWOOD will be making his 150th start in a West Ham shirt.

Dean ASHTON needs a double to bring his career total of club goals to 100.

If selected in the 11, Matthew ETHERINGTON will be making his 150th start in a West Ham shirt.

If involved, Hayden MULLINS will be making his 150th West Ham appearance.

If on the field from the outset, George McCARTNEY will be making his 150th club career start (Sunderland and West Ham).

If he lines up for the kick-off, Daniel GABBIDON will be making his 50th Premiership start for West Ham.

When next he lines-up for the opening whistle, Teddy SHERINGHAM will be making his 50th start in a West Ham shirt.

If he participates, Matthew UPSON will be playing on his 28th birthday.

Carlton COLE began his professional career with Chelsea, making 31 appearances (25 in the Premiership) and scoring eight goals (four League) for them before his move to Upton Park in July 2006.

CHELSEA

Didier DROGBA is the highest scoring Premiership player this season with 30 goals, 18 of which are League goals. The Ivory Coast International leads Manchester United's Cristiano RONALDO by two at the top of the table for the Barclays Golden Boot award.

Frank LAMPARD is the only remaining player to have started every one of Chelsea's Premiership matches this season.

LAMPARD began his professional career with West Ham, making 187 appearances (148 in the League) and scoring 38 goals (23 League) in six seasons with them, before his £11m move to Stamford Bridge in June 2001.

If he plays, Salomon KALOU will be making his 50th appearance in a Chelsea shirt.

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

West Ham United 1-3 Chelsea

2 January 2006 - Ref: Howard Webb

West Ham scorer: Harewood 46

Chelsea scorers: Lampard 25, Crespo 61, Drogba 80

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE

Chelsea 1-0 West Ham United

18 November 2006 - Ref: Mike Dean

Chelsea scorer: Geremi 22

HEAD TO HEAD TOTALS

Home and away

League: West Ham 34 wins, Chelsea 28, Draws 15