More hotel raids expected as tourist season hots up in Chiang Mai

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you wanted to give Chiang Mai a bad name internationally, kicking tourists out on to the street with no warning or  recompense is a really good way to do it.

Outside of TV this is a zero news article, maybe a bit of word of mouth in play to friends and family of 60 people but would you seriously cancel your trip even if the story somehow made its way outside Thailand?.. No

Hotels and tour operators go belly up all the time, nothing new, it's just a part of the small risk travellers take

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, mcfish said:

Outside of TV this is a zero news article, maybe a bit of word of mouth in play to friends and family of 60 people but would you seriously cancel your trip even if the story somehow made its way outside Thailand?.. No

Hotels and tour operators go belly up all the time, nothing new, it's just a part of the small risk travellers take

You underestimate the power of social media my friend.

If 60 guests share this, and five of each of their friends share it, and five of their friends, and so on...

Multiply that by the number of guests treated equally stupidly by vengeful Thais and you have what is known as a sh!t reputation on your hands.

You underestimate the power of social media my friend.

If 60 guests share this, and five of each of their friends share it, and five of their friends, and so on...

Multiply that by the number of guests treated equally stupidly by vengeful Thais and you have what is known as a sh!t reputation on your hands.

Care factor about a hotel closing down because of illegal operations would be absolutely zero. However if they shut down the other 60 then there would be serious problems

2 hours ago, mcfish said:

Care factor about a hotel closing down because of illegal operations would be absolutely zero. However if they shut down the other 60 then there would be serious problems

If people *think* they are going to close down more, they'll think twice about booking Chiang Mai won't they? Especially if they read that the patrons involved were simply kicked out on the street.

If people *think* they are going to close down more, they'll think twice about booking Chiang Mai won't they? Especially if they read that the patrons involved were simply kicked out on the street.

No feeds on Facebook yet unless you can supply a link it's just another nothing story.

2 hours ago, mcfish said:

No feeds on Facebook yet unless you can supply a link it's just another nothing story.

Sorry, I didn't realise you could actually get access to every single persons newsfeed, even the ones in Chinese.

:whistling:

Sorry, I didn't realise you could actually get access to every single persons newsfeed, even the ones in Chinese.

:whistling:

It doesn't have to be chinese, English is fine

I guess your social media is so very powerful isn't working with this story lol

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:52 AM, mcfish said:

And what about the other 60 unlicensed, I guess they all dutifully filed there paper work as well lol

Where did the 60 unlicensed figure come from? 

The Original article quoted 600 out of 953 were unlicensed.  Is that just a typo?

If all 600 were suddenly closed down tomorrow IT would hit all the media outlets. And where would they all go?

I guess those paid to do unannounced inspections for fire exits, proper documents, compliance with requirements, etc must be worn to a frazzle trying to get caught up with the paper work and fee collection to get everything squared away. Probably using the police assigned to traffic control as a yardstick to measure effort expended vs results attained.

Seriously the only group who seem to be on the job, doing what they are paid to do every day, are those who sweep the gutters inside and even outside some parts of the moat and those who use the long handled net to clean trash from the moat. They do not seem to have a boss standing watching them so maybe they are trustees.

This hotel already get some positive reviews online and the rooms looks nice for 1600 per night. It must have been quite expensive to build it. I am surprised the owner did not apply for a license earlier. 

1 hour ago, balo said:

This hotel already get some positive reviews online and the rooms looks nice for 1600 per night. It must have been quite expensive to build it. I am surprised the owner did not apply for a license earlier. 

There is probably an enormous "processing fee" to pay.

On 12/9/2016 at 3:48 PM, mcfish said:

Aren't hotels required to have liability insurance in case of fire, earthquake, accident? Most certainly the guests and the hotel would not be covered without a licence. A good reason to shut them all down!

In the event of negligence/accident/injury The chance of a standard tourist getting money out of a small hotel/guesthouse in Thailand is near zero anyway.

whether they have license /insurance or not.

Even in the States with big chains it takes lawyers. I has a slip/fall one night at a St. Regis ended up getting a couple stitches on my leg. Morning comes about 5 managers showed up at my room asking if I was OK, if they can do anything for me?  I'm like "yeah man I'm going skiing". I just asked that they pay for the emergency room deductible (About $150 as I recall) and can you comp my Mom a spa treatment? St Regis then sicked their subrogation company "Gallagher-Basset" on me who kept contacting for weeks. They could not believe I wasn't suing. Still took months to get my $150. 

It is interesting that certain news media are reporting that illegal hotels in a number of districts in Ayutthaya have been given until March next year to get their paperwork in order.  If not registered by then they face immediate closure.

It seems a more pragmatic solution given that the authorities in both regions must have known about this for some time.  It must have taken a considerable amount of time to collate the data on all 953 'hotels' and discover that 600 were illegal. 

If they were really interested in upholding the safety standards etc  (as well as the law) they should have shut down the very first hotel the knew was illegal and that would have scared the rest then to get their act together.

The authorities have now made a rod for their own back here in CM as they do not have the resources to process the paperwork and the hotels can't get the paperwork processed to avoid immediate closure. 

Best CM follows the Ayutthaya  approach

Archived