Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snoop1130

New Phuket underpass to add more delays to reaching airport

Recommended Posts

New Phuket underpass to add more delays to reaching airport

Tanyaluk Sakoot

 

1481281859_1-org.jpg

 

PHUKET:-- Construction of Phuket’s fifth underpass, at the intersection on Thepkrasattri Rd and Route 4026, which leads to Phuket International Airport, will begin in earnest tomorrow (Dec 10), bringing with it more traffic disruptions along the island’s busiest road.

 

Staff at Phuket International Airport have asked travellers boarding flights to account for the delays when calculating their travel time to the airport as disruptions to traffic flow at the intersection are expected to last at least months.

 

A key concern is that the traffic lights at the intersection will be turned off while retaining walls are excavated and put in place, explained Somkiet Yimpong, the Phuket Highways Department engineer tasked with overseeing construction of the underpass.

 

Traffic heading north and south will be able to drive through the intersection unimpeded, he said.

 

“Traffic from Phuket Airport heading toward Phuket Town must first turn left (north) then make a u-turn in order to travel south,” Mr Somkiet explained.

 

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/new-phuket-underpass-to-add-more-delays-to-reaching-airport-60179.php#5braR4OaR8qKIMlf.97

 
tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-12-09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

I'll be using the old airport road.

Is that the one that eventually comes out in Thalang on the road going toward Laguna?   Many turns.  I always get lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GiantFan said:

Is that the one that eventually comes out in Thalang on the road going toward Laguna?   Many turns.  I always get lost.

 

No ... it's the first set of traffic lights on the main north bound highway after the Thalang road traffic lights.  A good few klicks before the new airport road lights. It's a slower twisty road but shorter distance than going more north and up the new airport road , so much the same time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

 

No ... it's the first set of traffic lights on the main north bound highway after the Thalang road traffic lights.  A good few klicks before the new airport road lights. It's a slower twisty road but shorter distance than going more north and up the new airport road , so much the same time. 

Rubber plantation on left?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A right turn flyover from the airport road would be a much better option at this junction, which is hardly a major bottleneck anyway.

 

But the bigger the budget the more lucrative for everybody concerned so an underpass it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Italian-Thai Development Co Ltd (Ital-Thai) is the construction contractor

 

At least that's good news. They've created less of a disaster compared to the other company building underpasses...

But it's still going to take nearly three years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GiantFan said:

Think I found on Google maps.  Highway 4031 / Thepkrasattri Nai Yang Rd.

 

Correct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, madmitch said:

A right turn flyover from the airport road would be a much better option at this junction, which is hardly a major bottleneck anyway.

 

But the bigger the budget the more lucrative for everybody concerned so an underpass it is.

Couldnt agree more.

 

With a flyover:

- north-south traffic can always flow

- traffic from the south going to airport can always flow (as is the case already)

- traffic from the airport to the north can always flow

- traffic from the airport to the south can always flow

- traffic from the north to the airport will have to do a u-turn, but there barely is any.

 

Simple and cheap solution without risks of flooding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bob12345 said:

Couldnt agree more.

 

With a flyover:

- north-south traffic can always flow

- traffic from the south going to airport can always flow (as is the case already)

- traffic from the airport to the north can always flow

- traffic from the airport to the south can always flow

- traffic from the north to the airport will have to do a u-turn, but there barely is any.

 

Simple and cheap solution without risks of flooding.

Therin lies the problem, no 'money' in it!

 

At least with Ital-Thai there will be a more professional job than the Lotus jcn fiasco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GiantFan said:

Is that the one that eventually comes out in Thalang on the road going toward Laguna?   Many turns.  I always get lost.

There is a shortcut to the Old Airport Road (welll a couple, but one is still gravel) Coming from Cherng Talay, about 500m short of the traffic lights in Thalang there is a sharp right hand bend. Big sign there with 'shortcut to airport' sign turns you left towards the Showgrounds. Bear right there, then first left in the village (big sign).  Left again, then right at the big bend 700m down. stay on that road and it spits you out on the Old Airport Road. Difficult to describe the route but handy when you know it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There never ever was a major traffic jam, useless project from twits.

Digging up the whole island isn't the solution, if people planning are headless.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think this one is as much of a cluster ^&#$ as all the other lights farther south.  Ideally there would be no traffic lights from Boat Lagoon all the way to the airport.............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...