Five southern provinces still suffering from deluge

rooster59

Five southern provinces still suffering from deluge

By Wattana Khamchu, 
Krissana Thiwatsirikul, 
Khanita Sithong 
The Nation

FLOODING that affected more than 750,000 people in 12 southern provinces and claimed 22 lives since the beginning of this month has diminished in seven provinces.

But Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Trang, Songkhla and Phatthalung are still suffering.

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department chief Chatchai Phromlert said yesterday that as well as damaging vast areas of farmland, the floods have also ruined 1,565 roads, 129 bridges, 65 water pipes and 59 check dams.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30301796

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-10

48 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I am scratching my noggin on this statement.

Shift editing with no access to the reporter. I think by 'check dam' they meant 'weir'; these are far more common in the affected areas. They use weirs to control the flow of water from Songkhla Lake across the flat-as-a-pancake strip of low lying land (mostly under water now) for agriculture and shrimp farming...

The cement soi to my house is finally passable after a week, even though it is still raining intermittently. I found out somewhat ironic that they moved the 'Friday Floating Market' here to a busy streetside intersection due to the flooding. 

My big question is: what happens to all the wildlife that gets inundated? Do they just die?

The fields around here are usually filled with frogs, snakes, insects and birds...there were initially some attempts by local animals (including a cat) to get inside our house, but now even the battle to keep insects out is pretty much over...I see it didn't take long for lots of small fish to begin swimming freely in the floodwater. Are they feeding on dead insects?

One of the silver linings here has been that the daytime temperatures have been down at around 24 degrees and there haven't been many mosquitoes or other insect pests...

17 hours ago, phuketsub said:

Shift editing with no access to the reporter. I think by 'check dam' they meant 'weir'; these are far more common in the affected areas. They use weirs to control the flow of water from Songkhla Lake across the flat-as-a-pancake strip of low lying land (mostly under water now) for agriculture and shrimp farming...

Gotta thank for the tuneup. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived