BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
jspill

9 months of visa exemptions back to back after 2 year overstay

Some may find this encouraging but as in most things in Thailand, "Your experience may vary". When they 'missed' the TR visa on your last entry, did you enter the visa number on the Arrival portion of the TM6 card?

Yes I entered it on the departure card, still missed it though.

There was half a blank page, followed by the one page Vietnam visa sticker, so he only saw that I guess.

does it really matter if we are working for a Thai entity or not? when we use a computer to make money we are not taking a job away from a Thai, I'm sure.... unless we are buying and selling stuff.. and even then we aren't, not really.... 

on the other hand.... we can get into lots of trouble using a computer for anything, for money or otherwise, with or without a work permit.... and especially if it is ****not**** a Thai entity.

apparently now. quite. 

Edited by maewang99

12 minutes ago, maewang99 said:

does it really matter if we are working for a Thai entity or not? when we use a computer to make money we are not taking a job away from a Thai, I'm sure.... unless we are buying and selling stuff.. and even then we aren't, not really.... 

on the other hand.... we can get into lots of trouble using a computer for anything, for money or otherwise, with or without a work permit.... and especially if it is ****not**** a Thai entity.

apparently now. quite. 

This thread is about something else.

If it matters or not is irrelevant, the law at han d and enforcement are relevant.

they are being enforced.  by the law. and police visits.

it was the OP that mentioned whether we need a work permit on the internet or not.... not just my posting.

plus he's a Brit... and if the 'other thread' you're referring to is obliquely the BBC thing... you are correct.

Edited by maewang99

16 minutes ago, maewang99 said:

and it was the OP that mentioned whether we need a work permit on the internet or not.... not just my posting.

Yeah we don't need one for online work. I work remotely for an overseas company, I've explained that to immigration before and it's never been an issue.

I just mentioned it because it tends to be online workers that use tourist visas / exemptions.

Edited by jspill

Good to hear, jspill. Thanks for sharing. As someone with an extremely long overstay, I have never been questioned about it save for one time at Nong Khai when I was paying a 1-day overstay and the i/o simply remarked that I had a long previous overstay and then asked for the 500 baht overstay fine. It does seem to be rather random or based on some algorithm that is known only to the Thai authorities lol. 

• Like 1

Great dude!! Wish you best of luck. But don't push your luck. Change that passport before you come under scrutiny by the immigration at airport. Yes they can link all your passports including the old one BUT they don't look most of the times when they see a new passport.

Another thing at one point the computer will flag you so be prepared for when that day comes. I lived there on a mix of tourist visas and ed visas for 5 yrs. Now I am in Saigon cooling off for 6 months before I return because I was flagged last time I went in, I was dumb to let my passport fill up with Thai stamps and visas.

Edited by jgold
  • Like 1

Will re-enter using the tourist visa on Feb 12.

There is no guarantee that the IO will not void the visa as you have entered after it was issued. 

So be prepared with a ticket and enough cash to qualify for a visa exempt entry. 

Worst case you could be refused entry. 

I hope that you will be able to use the visa but you need to be prepared for the worst. 

Do do not be tempted to use DMK there is a much greater chance there of problems than at BKK.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Pushing the bounds of what the regulations are trying to control only makes things tighten up every time they are revised.  Such behaviour is unforgiveable when there are options which are totally non-contentious and will not raise an eyebrow anywhere.  Such selfish behaviour is making everyone else's life difficult.

• Like 1

Thanks for the details Jspill.

My story is similar.  Been here in Bangkok since 2008.  First 2 years were on multi non B visa, then I started using Tourist or visa exempt entries.  

I pretty much only use DMK as I go to stay with family in Macau using AirAsia.

I've almost never had an onward/outbound flight booked, and I've never been asked for one.   Except a couple of times by AirAsia staff in Macau,  I just told them I live in Bangkok and that was enough.

I've almost never carried more than a few hundred baht when flying into Bangkok, but never been asked to show funds.

I've never been asked what I do here, or had any issues coming back into the country.

I've filled up my 3rd passport, with the 4th having been applied for recently, so next time I travel it will be on a clean passport.

No idea why some people seem to have so much trouble, but perhaps it's how they look or act?     I dress smart, I'm slim and I look young (I'm 49), plus I smile and use a bit of polite Thai when interacting with the IOs.    

• Like 1