Bangkok police have doubts over Australian woman's rape claim

rooster59

something not right here,go to hospital get the test, confirms a rape had taken place, now the cops want two weeks to "confirm" like a previous poster said, poor girl having to wait two weeks while pc PLOD makes up their mind about the outcome/

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, impulse said:

Instead of waiving visa fees (what's 30 million visitors X the visa fees?), perhaps they should take that money and fund compensation and assistance for victims.  Legal and medical.

Instead of appealing to tourists who want to save $30, they could increase the appeal to tourists who don't mind spending more, but do want to get home safely.

I think you would find a significant number of tourists come on visa exempt trips.

Besides, the suspension of visa fees is obviously because there is a significant reduction in expected visitor numbers.

2 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

something not right here,go to hospital get the test, confirms a rape had taken place, now the cops want two weeks to "confirm" like a previous poster said, poor girl having to wait two weeks while pc PLOD makes up their mind about the outcome/

Far as I know a post "rape" test would only confirm rough sex had taken place, which does not prove a "rape" happened. That would have to be proven in a court of law or by confession.

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

The Police didnt threaten her with a counter claim though . They seem to be saying that they will wait until the investigation is complete before they decide how to proceed 

Further, nobody here knows any details of what's happened so far in the investigate nor the spoken dialogue from the investigators or the lady.

Just maybe, because of something she's already said the police have deliberately said something about a 'counter claim' to see her reaction. Surely that would be an investigation strategy used often, anywhere. 

Who knows.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

That may be true.  But it may also be a time tested ploy to make sure the good name of Thailand (and Thai tourism) isn't besmirched.

How many young people on holiday can just call their boss and ask for another 2 weeks off while they investigate whether her sex with some locals was consensual?  Or another few months for the trial and appeals?

Even before the veiled threat of arrest, pursuing charges would cost her months of her salary.  Not to mention the $$$ she'd have to spend staying in country.  Add in the uncertainty of arrest should the results come in favorable to Thai tourism (whadda ya figure those odds would be?), and he has pretty much assured this will go away with no black marks against Thai tourism.

Edit:  This is one of those rare cases where I'd be glad to kick a few bucks into a GoFundMe campaign to help her defray the costs of following through.  If she were my kid, I'd urge her to come home instead, though.  Nothing will undo the trauma. And sadly, the risk of personal harm and the costs of staying in country far outweigh any personal benefit from staying around to see it through.

I'd prefer to raise money to defend the good name of the TukTuk community wrongly blamed for a crime they did not commit. White women have been using men of colour for centuries as a scapegoat when their sexual adventures go wrong.

1 minute ago, The manic said:

I'd prefer to raise money to defend the good name of the TukTuk community wrongly blamed for a crime they did not commit. White women have been using men of colour for centuries as a scapegoat when their sexual adventures go wrong.

Let 'em put up their own GoFundMe campaign.  We'll see who raises more.

1 minute ago, YeahSiam said:

Yeah because a white woman would never lie..........unless she was accusing a white man, of course

I'm not saying she wouldn't lie.

I'm saying that it's unreasonable to throw the burdens of pursuing the case onto the shoulders of a holiday maker.  Those burdens being the cost of extending her stay (and taking time off work), the risk of personal harm at the hands of the accused, and the risk of being falsely jailed herself -even if she's telling the truth- in the name of protecting the almighty tourist dollar.  

She'd be out tens of thousands of dollars, but the benefit accrues to every Thai and every other holiday maker who would be safer with the rapists off the streets.  Seems like a pretty unfair request of her.

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Who's that a picture of?
Perhaps police should stick to traffic duty.

Considering the other thread with the   3 police officers in a pick up truck colliding with a train, I suggest not.

This is just so very wrong. If there is an unprofessional manner in which to investigate or to manage a case, the Royal Thailand Police never fail to disappoint.

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm not saying she wouldn't lie.

I'm saying that it's unreasonable to throw the burdens of pursuing the case onto the shoulders of a holiday maker.  Those burdens being the cost of extending her stay (and taking time off work), the risk of personal harm at the hands of the accused, and the risk of being falsely jailed herself -even if she's telling the truth- in the name of protecting the almighty tourist dollar.  

She'd be out tens of thousands of dollars, but the benefit accrues to every Thai and every other holiday maker who would be safer with the rapists off the streets.  Seems like a pretty unfair request of her.

Didn't the Thai man who sexually assaulted Hannah Gavois get a 5 year jail sentence?

Any sense that the state was trying to protect Thailand's image/tourist dollar there?

You have an extraordinary habit of seeing conspiracy where there is none, don't you?

9 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

Didn't the Thai man who sexually assaulted Hannah Gavois get a 5 year jail sentence?

Any sense that the state was trying to protect Thailand's image there?

You have an extraordinary habit of seeing conspiracy where there is none, don't you?

It kind of helped that he turned himself in and confessed on the day it happened.  Made it real hard for them to threaten her with prosecution for making a false report.  Also reduced the burden on her to stick around for a lengthy manhunt and trial.  

You see this one going that way?  I don't.  What's it going to cost her to stick around just for the 2 weeks waiting on the results of whatever they're doing?  Then to testify at the trial?

Just now, impulse said:

It kind of helped that he turned himself in and confessed on the day it happened.  Made it real hard for them to threaten her with prosecution for making a false report.  Also reduced the burden on her to stick around for a lengthy manhunt and trial.  

You see this one going that way?  I don't.  What's it going to cost her to stick around just for the 2 weeks waiting on the results of whatever they're doing?

If whatever they're doing takes two weeks, it takes two weeks.

She can go home and come back to see the case through if/when someone is put on trial.

Perhaps you'd have her put up for two weeks at the Thai state's expense?

9 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

Perhaps you'd have her put up for two weeks at the Thai state's expense?

Only if they care about getting rapists off the streets.  A few hundred $$$ seems like a small price to pay to prevent their next rapes.

And if not at the state's expense, I go back to my willingness to kick into a GoFundMe campaign to defray any expenses she may incur to follow through with getting these guys off the streets.  I'd be better off for it...  Edit: So would Thailand.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Only if they care about getting rapists off the streets.  A few hundred $$$ seems like a small price to pay to prevent their next rapes.

And if not at the state's expense, I go back to my willingness to kick into a GoFundMe campaign to defray any expenses she may incur to follow through with getting these guys off the streets.  I'd be better off for it...  Edit: So would Thailand.

Maybe if her account of events wasn't full of holes, there might be a justification for covering expenses but that's not the case, is it?

The CCTV footage shows her with a white man, not a Thai, at times that conflict with her story.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Named only as "Yaya" she said earlier that she was very drunk

I'm not saying that it excuses the rape or that she deserved it or any of the usual PC responses, if it took place, but getting very drunk in a foreign country where the local mores are unknown is never a good idea.

It's like coming to Thailand without insurance, and riding a m'bike without a helmet ( without ever having ridden a m'bike before ) - not a good idea.

Perhaps young female tourists should forget what they "should be able to do" and start thinking about what might happen and take precautions.

Perhaps if she hadn't been "very drunk" this wouldn't have happened.

Is it too much to expect that tourists take precautions and behave more carefully?

Going into a hell's angels club wearing a bandidos jacket shouldn't end up in a beating either. Fact is there are criminal elements out and about and it's better kept in mind when,say, f.ex. getting sloshed in a foreign country. Saying "this shouldn't happen to anyone" is just counterproductive. 

6 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

Maybe if her account of events wasn't full of holes, there might be a justification for covering expenses but that's not the case, is it?

The CCTV footage shows her with a white man, not a Thai, at times that conflict with her story.

Yeah, 'cause a woman walking around with a white guy never gets into a tuk-tuk alone to go to her hotel.  She must be lying.

46 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Considering the other thread with the   3 police officers in a pick up truck colliding with a train, I suggest not.

This is just so very wrong. If there is an unprofessional manner in which to investigate or to manage a case, the Royal Thailand Police never fail to disappoint.

Now, now, don't forget, just like Thai electricity, Thai rape is different.

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

Yeah, 'cause a woman walking around with a white guy never gets into a tuk-tuk alone to go to her hotel.  She must be lying.

But that's not what she said happened, is it?

There was no white guy mentioned in her account, was there?

She said she made the trip alone.

I was wondering how long it would be before the police rolled this old chestnut out, along with the veiled threats.

Yep, anything to prevent Thailand's reputation from being besmirched.  To bad the RTP don't realize it is their own actions that damage Thailand's reputation.

I also find it very hard to believe that it is going to take 2 weeks to get the test results back.   Any doctors in the house that can shed some light on this?

1 minute ago, WhizBang said:

I was wondering how long it would be before the police rolled this old chestnut out, along with the veiled threats.

Yep, anything to prevent Thailand's reputation from being besmirched.  To bad the RTP don't realize it is their own actions that damage Thailand's reputation.

I also find it very hard to believe that it is going to take 2 weeks to get the test results back.   Any doctors in the house that can shed some light on this?

Hmm the only reply on a contentious subject. I agree with your statement.

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

2 weeks to confirm if she had been raped or not,surely it should

not take that long,maybe hoping she will leave Thailand and it

will all be forgotten.

regards worgeordie

Yes....2 weeks is nonsense.....the police havn't a clue how to investigate...no hope of finding the culprits and now they're trending towards the woman lying and false statements....but I hope I'm wrong

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not saying that it excuses the rape or that she deserved it or any of the usual PC responses, if it took place, but getting very drunk in a foreign country where the local mores are unknown is never a good idea.

It's like coming to Thailand without insurance, and riding a m'bike without a helmet ( without ever having ridden a m'bike before ) - not a good idea.

Perhaps young female tourists should forget what they "should be able to do" and start thinking about what might happen and take precautions.

Perhaps if she hadn't been "very drunk" this wouldn't have happened.

Is it too much to expect that tourists take precautions and behave more carefully?

is it too much that women can't get around in this world without being raped, and blamed for slack behaviour?  yes, way too much.

Maybe she got red burn marks on her bottom because she sat on a wok in the cctv from koasan road. So when she was being examined by the nurse the red marks on her bum could've been why she was so sure she'd been abused.

"My bum hurts!, oh no I've been raped!", too drunk to know what she'd done.

4 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Yes....2 weeks is nonsense.....the police havn't a clue how to investigate...no hope of finding the culprits and now they're trending towards the woman lying and false statements....but I hope I'm wrong

I'm reminded of a case in Phuket a few years ago.

Three young Aussie fools got into a tussle with the tuk tuk mafia and all received stab wounds, one was quite seriously hurt. While giving their statements at Patong police another tuk tuk driver turned up pointed out a small dent on his vehicle and accused the kids of kicking it.

The police immediately switched their investigation to address the more serious crime of vehicle damage and gave the tourists an ultimatum.  Get on a plane now or spend time in a Thai prison awaiting a court date for their offence.

They went home, the thugs got a free ticket to stab tourists.

5 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Maybe she got red burn marks on her bottom because she sat on a wok in the cctv from koasan road. So when she was being examined by the nurse the red marks on her bum could've been why she was so sure she'd been abused.

Same same, but same? Sorry, we had the same idea at the same time. She really sat on it and that could cause serious injuries. 

And who's the guy who saved her from a more serious injury by pulling her back? It looks like they're on their way to?

Archived