Take a number: Phuket Airport immigration still overloaded

rooster59

Take a number: Phuket Airport immigration still overloaded 

Supatra Sutham

1481283681_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: Tourists arriving at Phuket International Airport continue to have to wait hours to clear immigration, despite immigration officials saying they have more officers on duty during peak times.

Capt Watchawuth Kitiatsawong, a senior-ranking officer at Phuket Airport Immigration, told The Phuket News this week that enough officers have been moved to Phuket Airport to cope with the heavy peak periods, but that the key problem was that there are not enough computer terminals available to process tourist arrivals.

“If all counters were open, it would help shorten the queues, but some counters still have no computer terminals installed,” he explained.

“We have enough officials to fill all the processing stations once they do open, but at this time we can only do our best to get the lines moving,” he added.

The inbound immigration desks are overloaded when more than one flight lands at the same time, Capt Watchawuth said.

“The queues to clear immigration are normal (sic) most of the time. The queues only get longer than normal if we get large numbers of passengers arriving at the same time from double flights,” he said.

“During this time we have more staff at the available counters to help out to get the line moving as quickly as possible,” he added.

“Normally we get about 300 passengers per flight, and this takes us only half an hour to clear them. The heavy load periods though are from midnight to 4am, when flights come from China and Russia, so we add more staff during this hours,” Capt Watchawuth reiterated.

The current wait to clear immigration during peak periods is about 2½ hours, travellers have consistently reported to The Phuket News.

“First time back in a year. What a ridiculous situation!” reported one visitor from the UK who landed at the airport early last Saturday (Dec 3) to rest in Phuket in recovery after surgery.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/take-a-number-phuket-airport-immigration-still-overloaded-60182.php#6t4fAywoRz4FpowA.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-12-11

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“If all counters were open, it would help shorten the queues, but some counters still have no computer terminals installed,” he explained.

Did the reporter from the Phuket News ask WHY all of the counters don't have computer terminals? 

Seems like a fair question.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

The old terminal handled much the same number of  international flights.  Where did those previous computer terminals go ?  Just a short move over to the new international terminal.

True LIK.  Old imm was manual keying in of data.  Old officers should have transferred to new terminal?  So, similar number of incoming passengers and similar staff competence should result in similar wait times.  You would think?

Happy for my APEC card!

TAT rave on how tourist numbers are going through the roof and been growing at record numbers every year but the numnuts don't even think about upgrading facilities.  Before you embark on a campaign to lure more tourists how about thinking can we actually cope with more and is it going to be a pleasurable experience so they will come back again.

TAT rave on how tourist numbers are going through the roof and been growing at record numbers every year but the numnuts don't even think about upgrading facilities.  Before you embark on a campaign to lure more tourists how about thinking can we actually cope with more and is it going to be a pleasurable experience so they will come back again.

Imagine flying six hours or more and then stuck in a queue at immigration for 2 hours.
That would certainly be my last trip to a country.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

14 hours ago, DrDave said:

Did the reporter from the Phuket News ask WHY all of the counters don't have computer terminals? 

Seems like a fair question.

Definitely a fair question but requires intelligence to be asked.:wai:

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

TAT rave on how tourist numbers are going through the roof and been growing at record numbers every year but the numnuts don't even think about upgrading facilities.

Yes, but TAT: TVF knows those numbers are nonsense and fewer tourists than ever are actually coming.

Before you embark on a campaign to lure more tourists how about thinking can we actually cope with more and is it going to be a pleasurable experience so they will come back again.

Yes ma'am. Anything else?

increased on duty staff at peak periods is not going to help one iota if they don't have a computer terminal to process passengers. It really isn't rocket science but then again Thailand doesn't have a space program so I guess I'll cut 'em some slack.

“Normally we get about 300 passengers per flight, and this takes us only half an hour to clear them.

I don't know how many immigration desks there are in Phuket, but this seems slow to me. I'm sure that it usually take less than a minute actually at the desk at Swampi.

Are there only 48 flights a day into Phuket?

I sometimes think LATERAL THINKING is missing from this country. Can add 2 and 2 to get 4, but not know when to apply 4 to the right situation. Authorities always seem to come up with solutions as in this case but can't think thru the outcomes when the norm does not apply. Applies to so many situations in this country, floods, droughts, traffic congestion, abbots in temples etc.

Phuket Airport is a disgrace. I go in and out nearly each week and there are plenty of computer terminals just not not enough immigration staff. I waited an hour this week and there were two officers for a huge queue - one working really hard and the other got up and walked off for 30 minutes - leaving the hard working guy to cope alone. A third officer was on the crew lane, which was empty and spent most of his time looking at his phone and shuffling papers. No attempt was made to help his colleagues clear the line.

Checkin is just as bad with long lines waiting to scan baggage and no lane for hand baggage check-in or dedicated web check-in - its all all mixed together and jammed up and it is not even "peak" season yet.

Departure immigration have long lines but at least there is an officer to co-ordinate passengers to counters and there seems to be more officers - likely a priority because there are flights to catch vs inbound where there is no time pressure to clear visitors, after all there's a hotel waiting and not a flight.

Don't have a heart attack either because the big red AED emergency box on the departure immigration is just a big red empty box .... the defibrillator has gone for a walk and shows no sign of coming back anytime soon.

I wonder why Malaysia can do it - you don't even need an immigration card and arrival is a pleasure and the same with Bali with long lines that clear very quickly, no immigration card required and plenty of officers. Singapore is flight to taxi, with immigration card and no baggage in less than 10 mins if you walk fast.

This new airport should be a fine example to arriving tourists but sadly it is the exact opposite.

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

Yes, but TAT: TVF knows those numbers are nonsense and fewer tourists than ever are actually coming.

Yes ma'am. Anything else?

Actually it appears more are here, hotels in Chiang Mai fully booked

16 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

The old terminal handled much the same number of  international flights.  Where did those previous computer terminals go ?  Just a short move over to the new international terminal.

I would hardly say the old terminal "handled" anything.  My last trip in was a 2 hour wait also.  Sounds like they built more counters than the old location therefore needed more computers than previously owned.  Failing to order and install more in time for opening is most likely the error.  I highly doubt there is a cache of functioning computers sitting in the old reception area.

50 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:

increased on duty staff at peak periods is not going to help one iota if they don't have a computer terminal to process passengers. It really isn't rocket science but then again Thailand doesn't have a space program so I guess I'll cut 'em some slack.

Imagine upgrading the computers programs  !  No arrival card like Vietnam , Hong Kong and Malaysia,,,, Scanning the passport and the computer recognize the country and what stamps or visa are available for this country on his/her  screen; after the  computer issue an entry sticker or the Officer stamps the passport according of the type of entry.

Special case a referred to a supervisor officer.

About 4-5 minutes max  including photo  and  scanning index fingerprint.... But it is only a dream..

2 hours ago, petedk said:

Imagine flying six hours or more and then stuck in a queue at immigration for 2 hours.
That would certainly be my last trip to a country.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Actually my last trip in was flying 21 hours then waiting on line at immigration for 2 hours.  Safe to say I was not happy.

Amazing anyone comes here to be honest.

I returned from a bike trip to Malaysia yesterday, I arrived at immigration which was a chaotic building site, parked my bike only to have some military police guy shouting at me telling me to move as I had parked in front of an office ( in Thai ) I questioned why the motor taxis weren't asked to move and he continues shouting - I told him to speak nicely and explain where I should park because I don't understand - even then he can't be civil in his own language.

It just made me think, how would I have coped if It had been my first visit to the country and some guy with a gun is screaming at me in a language I don't understand.

Its happened so many times in this country we are just so used to being treated like dirt, but it's so obvious 100 meters away at MY immigration - Sorry sir, can you take off your helmet from immigration or from the equivalent of the DLT - Sorry sir, can I just ask where you are from, ah, so you had a ride down to .. Ok, thankyou sir.

The domestic flights don't have it much better.  The planes land and then drive to a remote location where passengers are moved onto busses and driven back to the terminal.  Problem is not enough busses so everyone just stands in the plane aisle waiting.  I guess the guy who was supposed to order computers was the same guy ordering gates and buses...

It would help if those immigration officers would know the job in the first place. In addition to that it is a fact that Thailand's visa mess is - let's say confusing - to say the least. 
I've seen queues at the Friendship Bridge Number 1 in Nongkhai where literally hunderts of people queue in the blazing sun and Somchai is flicking through the passport looking for one of the many, many visa types; just to find out that there is no visa and hence being stamped in with 15 days (by air 30 days). What a waste of time ......... 

Archived