BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Take a number: Phuket Airport immigration still overloaded

Take a number: Phuket Airport immigration still overloaded 

Supatra Sutham

1481283681_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: Tourists arriving at Phuket International Airport continue to have to wait hours to clear immigration, despite immigration officials saying they have more officers on duty during peak times.

Capt Watchawuth Kitiatsawong, a senior-ranking officer at Phuket Airport Immigration, told The Phuket News this week that enough officers have been moved to Phuket Airport to cope with the heavy peak periods, but that the key problem was that there are not enough computer terminals available to process tourist arrivals.

“If all counters were open, it would help shorten the queues, but some counters still have no computer terminals installed,” he explained.

“We have enough officials to fill all the processing stations once they do open, but at this time we can only do our best to get the lines moving,” he added.

The inbound immigration desks are overloaded when more than one flight lands at the same time, Capt Watchawuth said.

“The queues to clear immigration are normal (sic) most of the time. The queues only get longer than normal if we get large numbers of passengers arriving at the same time from double flights,” he said.

“During this time we have more staff at the available counters to help out to get the line moving as quickly as possible,” he added.

“Normally we get about 300 passengers per flight, and this takes us only half an hour to clear them. The heavy load periods though are from midnight to 4am, when flights come from China and Russia, so we add more staff during this hours,” Capt Watchawuth reiterated.

The current wait to clear immigration during peak periods is about 2½ hours, travellers have consistently reported to The Phuket News.

“First time back in a year. What a ridiculous situation!” reported one visitor from the UK who landed at the airport early last Saturday (Dec 3) to rest in Phuket in recovery after surgery.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/take-a-number-phuket-airport-immigration-still-overloaded-60182.php#6t4fAywoRz4FpowA.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-12-11

The old terminal handled much the same number of  international flights.  Where did those previous computer terminals go ?  Just a short move over to the new international terminal.

“If all counters were open, it would help shorten the queues, but some counters still have no computer terminals installed,” he explained.

Did the reporter from the Phuket News ask WHY all of the counters don't have computer terminals? 

Seems like a fair question.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

The old terminal handled much the same number of  international flights.  Where did those previous computer terminals go ?  Just a short move over to the new international terminal.

True LIK.  Old imm was manual keying in of data.  Old officers should have transferred to new terminal?  So, similar number of incoming passengers and similar staff competence should result in similar wait times.  You would think?

Happy for my APEC card!

Happened to look at the flight radar at 0115 this morning.

I noticed 5 Chinese planes lined up for a landing at Phuket. I wouldn't want to be waiting in the queue at that time.

888.PNG

TAT rave on how tourist numbers are going through the roof and been growing at record numbers every year but the numnuts don't even think about upgrading facilities.  Before you embark on a campaign to lure more tourists how about thinking can we actually cope with more and is it going to be a pleasurable experience so they will come back again.

TAT rave on how tourist numbers are going through the roof and been growing at record numbers every year but the numnuts don't even think about upgrading facilities.  Before you embark on a campaign to lure more tourists how about thinking can we actually cope with more and is it going to be a pleasurable experience so they will come back again.

Imagine flying six hours or more and then stuck in a queue at immigration for 2 hours.
That would certainly be my last trip to a country.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

14 hours ago, DrDave said:

Did the reporter from the Phuket News ask WHY all of the counters don't have computer terminals? 

Seems like a fair question.

Definitely a fair question but requires intelligence to be asked.:wai:

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

TAT rave on how tourist numbers are going through the roof and been growing at record numbers every year but the numnuts don't even think about upgrading facilities.

Yes, but TAT: TVF knows those numbers are nonsense and fewer tourists than ever are actually coming.

Before you embark on a campaign to lure more tourists how about thinking can we actually cope with more and is it going to be a pleasurable experience so they will come back again.

Yes ma'am. Anything else?

35 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Definitely a fair question but requires intelligence to be asked.:wai:

And may cause the interviewee to lose a little face, and we can't have that.

2.5 hours in line for immigration! What a terrible first impression of Phuket that would give someone. 

increased on duty staff at peak periods is not going to help one iota if they don't have a computer terminal to process passengers. It really isn't rocket science but then again Thailand doesn't have a space program so I guess I'll cut 'em some slack.

“Normally we get about 300 passengers per flight, and this takes us only half an hour to clear them.

I don't know how many immigration desks there are in Phuket, but this seems slow to me. I'm sure that it usually take less than a minute actually at the desk at Swampi.

Are there only 48 flights a day into Phuket?

I sometimes think LATERAL THINKING is missing from this country. Can add 2 and 2 to get 4, but not know when to apply 4 to the right situation. Authorities always seem to come up with solutions as in this case but can't think thru the outcomes when the norm does not apply. Applies to so many situations in this country, floods, droughts, traffic congestion, abbots in temples etc.

26 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

2.5 hours in line for immigration! What a terrible first impression of Phuket that would give someone. 

The first of many     :wink: