Villages back to normal as Ghostbusters chase 300 ogres out of town!

webfact

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

".. they have been known to enter people's bodies and eat them from the inside out."Oh really? Care to present some of this evidence behind this "know to enter" assertion. Sounds more like cancer imo.

Catholic church still has rites of exorcism, not to mention televangelists doing all sorts of "miracles". large portion of the world is 4th world regardless of economic status or location....

22 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

".. they have been known to enter people's bodies and eat them from the inside out."Oh really? Care to present some of this evidence behind this "know to enter" assertion. Sounds more like cancer imo.

Catholic church still has rites of exorcism, not to mention televangelists doing all sorts of "miracles". large portion of the world is 4th world regardless of economic status or location....

Well,  practically most of the religions have similar rites.... Materialists too and they call it to science. Probably that is the reason that a lot of illness are still not curable and we have a lot of assumptions in the science. 555

On a serious note for Thailand: If this is some sort of 'hammock Phee Pop ogre' there could be a national panic, given as the population's end goal is to spend as much time as possible in a hammock!

This behaviour has of course given rise to the popular parting shot/quip from a farang on receiving none to bad service when in Thailand "back in the hammock then mate!"

Lots of people laughing at the Thais for their superstitions. Go just about anywhere in Europe , Africa, the American First Nations and you've got just the same nonsense. African Witch doctors, Caribbean Voodoo, the Catholics, Wat Dhammakaya, the list goes on.

It's just so much more convenient to look down on the locals I guess..............

1 minute ago, ratcatcher said:

Lots of people laughing at the Thais for their superstitions. Go just about anywhere in Europe , Africa, the American First Nations and you've got just the same nonsense. African Witch doctors, Caribbean Voodoo, the Catholics, Wat Dhammakaya, the list goes on.

It's just so much more convenient to look down on the locals I guess..............

Nah, coming from the UK people throwing salt over their shoulder and saying 'bless you' when you sneeze, is about as bad as it gets.
When there are a lot of road accidents in one place in the UK it is deemed an accident black spot, signs are erected to encourage people to slow down or take heed of whatever the danger may be, then a plan is made to make the area safer.
In the same situation here, Thai's actually hold ceremonies called for by government officials to banish bad spirits and that's it.  No education, no measures to improve safety: ceremony, spirits, fixed...

You're way off in thinking the two worlds are even close, typical Thai apologist stretch post.

3 minutes ago, Steiner said:

Nah, coming from the UK people throwing salt over their shoulder and saying 'bless you' when you sneeze, is about as bad as it gets.
When there are a lot of road accidents in one place in the UK it is deemed an accident black spot, signs are erected to encourage people to slow down or take heed of whatever the danger may be, then a plan is made to make the area safer.
In the same situation here, Thai's actually hold ceremonies called for by government officials to banish bad spirits and that's it.  No education, no measures to improve safety: ceremony, spirits, fixed...

/snip/

....which ensures a steady stream of dead bodies for the village wat head monk cum master of ceremonies. 

26 minutes ago, Steiner said:

---------------
You're way off in thinking the two worlds are even close, typical Thai apologist stretch post.

Yet, Wikipedia's list of known haunted places has 9 in Thailand, and I lost count of how many in the UK and Ireland.  Looks like 53 notorious ones, but it's hard to say.  They had to list them on several different articles.

You're right.  53 isn't even close to 9.  The aroma of the Bwana is strong in this group. 

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

Yet, Wikipedia's list of known haunted places has 9 in Thailand, and I lost count of how many in the UK and Ireland.  Looks like 53 notorious ones, but it's hard to say.  They had to list them on several different articles.

You're right.  53 isn't even close to 9.  The aroma of the Bwana is strong in this group. 

Well let's put that in perspective, 53 purported haunted places in the UK, wanna guess how many that would be in Thailand? 9 is complete nonsense as every single Thai person I have met will tell you they've seen dozens of ghosts.
To make a list in Thailand would be endless, so how or why would one even go there...

Oh yes and what about spirit houses, sold at roadsides and markets, and in practically every house in the land, wanna start counting those?

8 minutes ago, Steiner said:

Well let's put that in perspective, 53 purported haunted places in the UK, wanna guess how many that would be in Thailand? 9 is complete nonsense as every single Thai person I have met will tell you they've seen dozens of ghosts.
To make a list in Thailand would be endless, so how or why would one even go there...

Oh yes and what about spirit houses, sold at roadsides and markets, and in practically every house in the land, wanna start counting those?

On the other hand, in a couple of weeks, the majority of the UK will spend $$$ billions to celebrate the birthday of a guy born of a virgin who went around performing miracles, then rose from the dead after the Romans killed him.  And a few months later, they'll celebrate his return from the dead.

But that's nothing like superstition, is it?

following the successful exorcisms everyone in the villages was satisfied and were now "sabai jai" (happy) and could get on with the rest of their lives in peace.

I'm guessing they're not quite as happy as Mr Ghostbuster Bunsong Prathumchai and his "disciples" who are laughing all the way to the bank.

7 hours ago, JoePai said:

Phee Poop are a particularly virulent and unpleasant kind of spirit

...and I bet they don't smell very good also  :giggle:

You just can't make this stuff up.  Let's face it, there is enough craziness going on in the LOS that we don't have to make it up.  Never a dull moment

Xmas was a good analogy.   How many people gave 100 baht?  and was it easily 100% participation?  Was that 100/person or home?  

So Thai ghost busters can go bare footed or is that required.

I bet there were lots of  orgies the night after the jar was burned. Sounds better than a full moon party.

Years ago in the refugee camp in Loei, I witnessed a Hmong spirit doctor do his thing for a sick person.  He would get all in a frenzy and "ride off" into the spirit world.  After bargaining with the spirits he would "ride back".  It it wasn't too serious, maybe a chicken or two would have to be sacrificed.  Serious matters required a pig be butchered.

Not long after, I heard a couple young Hmong kids making a racket.  Upon inquiring, they told me they were practicing to become medicine men. :)  It was common for Hmong people to change their names when they became seriously ill.  I guess the bad spirits wouldn't know how to find them by asking around under the old name.

On the other hand, in a couple of weeks, the majority of the UK will spend $$$ billions to celebrate the birthday of a guy born of a virgin who went around performing miracles, then rose from the dead after the Romans killed him.  And a few months later, they'll celebrate his return from the dead.

But that's nothing like superstition, is it?

Your analogy comfortably leaves out a) all Thai-festivals, where this and that is sacrificed to the river-godess or water washes away the sins b ) everyday sacrifices to the private and office spirit house and c) that christmas and easter are not ben taken seriously as religious festivities by the MAJORITY of people in the west, whereas merrit making fot the NEXT lifecircle is taken very seriously by MOST Thais.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived