Villages back to normal as Ghostbusters chase 300 ogres out of town!

webfact

I used to laugh at people who talked about spirits or ghosts until I moved into an apartment on the 17th floor. With my door locked when I slept but woke up because someone knocking on the metal frame of my bed . I could hear the noise very distinctively because it was metal bed frame. I was on 17 floor can't even hear the cars below.  Then I woke up because someone blowing  air on my chest  and later using hair to tickle my neck.

Finally I moved because I couldn't explain why that happened.

Now if you asked if I believe in ghosts or spirits I am still not sure but I won't go and sleep any place I become more careful in what I do.

I don't laugh anymore when someone talk about ghosts.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

A way to describe the average level of superstition in Thailand:

A couple of my Thai friends bought a 10,000 Baht spirit house 3 years ago, now they are moving and will leave the spirit house as the spirits from the old house are already living there... Both of my friends have PhD, she in molecular biology and he in veterinarian medicine!

And I know a thoracic surgeon who's a Catholic. Go figure!

In other news: Thailand will be pushing forward with their Inter Stellar Space Program. The program will now begin in March of next year. Members are looking forward to exploring such places as the moon and the planets Mars and Saturn. Critics say there is a great possibility of acute and devastating failure.

13 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Lots of people laughing at the Thais for their superstitions. Go just about anywhere in Europe , Africa, the American First Nations and you've got just the same nonsense. African Witch doctors, Caribbean Voodoo, the Catholics, Wat Dhammakaya, the list goes on.

It's just so much more convenient to look down on the locals I guess..............

Please add to this list every religion incl. Judaism and materialism. The list will be perfect and not arguable.

13 hours ago, Steiner said:

Nah, coming from the UK people throwing salt over their shoulder and saying 'bless you' when you sneeze, is about as bad as it gets.
When there are a lot of road accidents in one place in the UK it is deemed an accident black spot, signs are erected to encourage people to slow down or take heed of whatever the danger may be, then a plan is made to make the area safer.
In the same situation here, Thai's actually hold ceremonies called for by government officials to banish bad spirits and that's it.  No education, no measures to improve safety: ceremony, spirits, fixed...

You're way off in thinking the two worlds are even close, typical Thai apologist stretch post.

Saying bless you when someone sneezes has a basis in fact. One of the first symptoms of bubonic was sneezing so people said God bless you as it was fairly sure you were on the way out.

Not being religious myself I would probably use, as they say in Russia,  tufkie sh-tskie.

10 hours ago, louse1953 said:

I would suggest drinking lao khao for 30 years had something to do with it.55 is about the age they keel over in my village and that is the one thing they all have in common.God,one bottle nearly killed me,never ever again.

A lot of folk in my genera area live to 85-95 and guess what?  The common denominator is that usually they DON'T drink lao khao.   I enjoy a nice whiskey occasionally.  I can (reasonably) happily even quaff Hong Tong or Blend 285 at a wedding etc, but lao khao?  I only tried it twice, because the second time I had forgotten how toxic it tasted the first time.  There will not be a third time.  Heavy consumption must shorten lives seriously.  Sloppy distilling procedures creates a poisonous product.

52 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

A lot of folk in my genera area live to 85-95 and guess what?  The common denominator is that usually they DON'T drink lao khao.   I enjoy a nice whiskey occasionally.  I can (reasonably) happily even quaff Hong Tong or Blend 285 at a wedding etc, but lao khao?  I only tried it twice, because the second time I had forgotten how toxic it tasted the first time.  There will not be a third time.  Heavy consumption must shorten lives seriously.  Sloppy distilling procedures creates a poisonous product.

So it IS the spirits after all.... :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, madusa said:

I used to laugh at people who talked about spirits or ghosts until I moved into an apartment on the 17th floor. With my door locked when I slept but woke up because someone knocking on the metal frame of my bed . I could hear the noise very distinctively because it was metal bed frame. I was on 17 floor can't even hear the cars below.  Then I woke up because someone blowing  air on my chest  and later using hair to tickle my neck.

Finally I moved because I couldn't explain why that happened.

Now if you asked if I believe in ghosts or spirits I am still not sure but I won't go and sleep any place I become more careful in what I do.

I don't laugh anymore when someone talk about ghosts.

Should have stayed on for the blowing to go down lower...?

3 minutes ago, trogers said:

Should have stayed on for the blowing to go down lower...?

Should have stayed on to do some objective testing of the environment. I think you may find it wasn't 'ghosts' at all.  

BTW, I wonder why 'ghosts' play these games to creep people out? Why not just an polite introduction and a nice conversation?  :laugh:

1 minute ago, Essaybloke said:

Should have stayed on to do some objective testing of the environment. I think you may find it wasn't 'ghosts' at all.  

BTW, I wonder why 'ghosts' play these games to creep people out? Why not just an polite introduction and a nice conversation?  :laugh:

Do ghosts have to shower and change clothes?

11 hours ago, DM07 said:

Your analogy comfortably leaves out a) all Thai-festivals, where this and that is sacrificed to the river-godess or water washes away the sins b ) everyday sacrifices to the private and office spirit house and c) that christmas and easter are not ben taken seriously as religious festivities by the MAJORITY of people in the west, whereas merrit making fot the NEXT lifecircle is taken very seriously by MOST Thais.

I'm only pointing out that their customs look strange to us like our customs would look strange to them.

Like baptism, communion, last rites, saying words over a new grave, going to visit loved ones' gravesites, the lack of a 13th floor in most buildings, zillions of ghost hunter documentaries and on and on.

You can make it about the silly little brown people.  I make it about vive la difference.

On 12/12/2016 at 6:01 PM, Honthy said:

Well,  practically most of the religions have similar rites.... Materialists too and they call it to science. Probably that is the reason that a lot of illness are still not curable and we have a lot of assumptions in the science. 555

.....And what about the 90% of diseases that science has cured?

On 12/12/2016 at 6:14 PM, ratcatcher said:

Lots of people laughing at the Thais for their superstitions. Go just about anywhere in Europe , Africa, the American First Nations and you've got just the same nonsense. African Witch doctors, Caribbean Voodoo, the Catholics, Wat Dhammakaya, the list goes on.

It's just so much more convenient to look down on the locals I guess..............

....Dont forget David Icke.....and his thousands of alternative quack minions.

On 12/12/2016 at 6:14 PM, ratcatcher said:

Wat Dhammakaya IS Thailand!

On 12/12/2016 at 7:13 PM, impulse said:

On the other hand, in a couple of weeks, the majority of the UK will spend $$$ billions to celebrate the birthday of a guy born of a virgin who went around performing miracles, then rose from the dead after the Romans killed him.  And a few months later, they'll celebrate his return from the dead.

But that's nothing like superstition, is it?

Superstition sells! But when u take away all the absurd mumbo jumbo about him, whoever he was, the teachings and values taught by the mere man they called Jesus are still pretty amazing and valid today. It is only since living in Thailand, where they are conspicuous by their absence, that I have come to really appreciate those values and the Love for all that he taught.

Archived