2 Thai men killed after being hit by car driven by an Englishman

webfact

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, everyone is assuming that the english guy was 'drunk' or under the influence. It is also likely that he could have been driving within the legal limit. If you were sat at a bar for 5 hrs drinking say a beer and a couple of glasses of wine over all that time (If I am busy on the laptop a beer or glass of wine could easy last an hour-hour and a half), even having 4 drinks in 5 hours your body would metabolize the alcohol and you would be within the limit. Clearly if you drive it is wise to abstain but we are all commenting on here as if the guy was extremely impaired or drunk, and this may be very far from the truth. I also guess if he is english and has been living here for 4 years that he probably frequents this forum, maybe he will get the opportunity to tell his side of the story. Whatever the outcome, two men dead, two families grieving and the family life of the english driver totally trashed also. How fortunes can change in seconds.

I should have qualified the bit about insurance paying compensation would take place in most Western countries based upon the investigation . I was in the auto accident investigation unit for a large insurance company in the US and these type of accident investigations are complicated. Normally, the exact cause is not 100% because there are no witnesses and no cameras. The insurance companies would normally attempt to negotiate with each other and since there are deaths involved the drivers insurance company is more likely to pay out under the driver's liability coverage.  Driving while intoxicated does not affect the liability coverage and if they refused the case would be settled either in court or through arbitration.  Damage to the driver's car may not be covered because he was drunk- it depends upon the company and how the collision coverage is structured.

Thailand auto insurance operates under the same guidelines as Western Insurance but the liability has lower limits. The driver then will be subject to paying over those limits. That is where the negotiation between the driver and family take place with the police acting as mediator. The criminal matter is entirely different and in Thailand will depend upon the compensation and the attitude of the family as well as the police. It doesn't work that way in the West as we all know because the Western police do not negotiate anything but send their report to the prosecutor who then decides what the actual charges will be. 

1 minute ago, Loeilad said:

There are plenty of members who if thie nationalities were switched to Thai driver English victim would have said that this was a clear indication of "Thai stupidity". So what is their take on this event?

There are two sets of rules on TVF, one for where the Thai is at fault in any matter and a second one for where the farang is at fault - the farang fault rule points in a straight line to the Thai fault rule which then takes precedence, except where the outcome has been beneficial and positive, in which case the Thai fault rule is temporarily suspended. If that's not clear to anyone I have a flowchart showing its operation.

1 minute ago, Thaidream said:

I should have qualified the bit about insurance paying compensation would take place in most Western countries based upon the investigation . I was in the auto accident investigation unit for a large insurance company in the US and these type of accident investigations are complicated. Normally, the exact cause is not 100% because there are no witnesses and no cameras. The insurance companies would normally attempt to negotiate with each other and since there are deaths involved the drivers insurance company is more likely to pay out under the driver's liability coverage.  Driving while intoxicated does not affect the liability coverage and if they refused the case would be settled either in court or through arbitration.  Damage to the driver's car may not be covered because he was drunk- it depends upon the company and how the collision coverage is structured.

Thailand auto insurance operates under the same guidelines as Western Insurance but the liability has lower limits. The driver then will be subject to paying over those limits. That is where the negotiation between the driver and family take place with the police acting as mediator. The criminal matter is entirely different and in Thailand will depend upon the compensation and the attitude of the family as well as the police. It doesn't work that way in the West as we all know because the Western police do not negotiate anything but send their report to the prosecutor who then decides what the actual charges will be. 

Thai motor insurance becomes null and void if the driver is over the legal limit.

49 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Being English didn't know what to do at the scene,couldn't do a runner as he was pissed.Bloody foreigner send him back shackled TO AUSTRALIA plz.

What would have happened had the two dead souls been driving and Poor old Nic was the victim?????

We don't take convicts anymore.

In Britain it used to be advertised on TV(since I have been here for years I don't know about now) that even if the other guy caused the accident if you had been drinking and over the limit, it was your fault...if both are drunk....??? But no matter who it is if they drink & drive they are stupid.

4 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

One of my biggest fears of driving here....hitting a motor bike and being in the wrong....

One of my biggest fears here as a pedestrian is be hit by a motor bike while walking on the footpath.

2 hours ago, Loeilad said:

for people to "judge" these incidents is just commonplace in these forums - they base their interpretation of the events upon police media releases and treat them as fact (risible)

There are plenty of members who if thie nationalities were switched to Thai driver English victim would have said that this was a clear indication of "Thai stupidity". So what is their take on this event?

Farang Stupidity

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

How many times must it be said that drinking and driving do not mix. Even if you are moving the car just to "PARK".

If you have more than one bear or glass of wine then take a taxi 

No excuse Taxis by western standards are cheap here in Thailand And if a Taxi is not available a Tuk Tuk or cycle taxi will do 

But for god sake dont drink and drive ITS THAT SIMPLE

You would think it was that simple.

but... it's not... just look at the thread about the drunk aussi women getting a Tuk Tuk, and being raped... and then being blamed for being raped because she was drunk

At some point, no matter what the readings are or if their is a dash cam with favorable footage, there will be a negotiation with families and it will come down to a number. Police will get proactive with this with pressure from all three parties. Then they think about the law and their end. 

But his immediate leverage is not good. He does have Thai family, signs of assets it seems and a tricky future in balance. Hoped he sipped those singhalights slowly. Wants a low reading. 

49 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Me? No never, not even once!

And for posters making excuses for him, those questioning whether the bike had working lights, not in the correct potion on the road, they perhaps being drunk also, and anything else you can dream up, you just simply amaze me.

u  forgot  helmetless.............. yes  all needs  to  be  taken  into  account

All a person can do here is reduce the risk and the odds of failure. Being aware that motorcyclists in Thailand are mostly unpredictable and dangerous is half of the battle, which means we can be more alert around them, this problem is compounded at night. But you undo all of that and then some by driving with alcohol in your blood.

There is no excuse for driving and drinkinnd we all know too much we do not have any right here in this jungle Thailand is Thailand and we never be able to change anything a all but all we could do is let talk about all of that and live another day.

Your motto 

Don't look where you don't want to go...

is wrong

I had an accident with a woman on a motorcycle. She looked exactly, where she wanted to go ... across the street.

But she did not look where the heavy and fast traffic was coming from. So she hit my car... fortunately no serious injuries.

But it took some time to convince the police that it was her fault and she had to pay the fine -not me. (Even if they tried hard to make me pay)

I just looked at his face book page and yes he does like fast cars,nothing wrong with that in itself.

Did not see anything about drunk driving or a lot of pictures with alcohol unless he did have the chance to delete it.

I do feel sorry for his new family,he admitted to drinking for a few hours.He should have had his mind on his wife and

little baby girl.

36 minutes ago, Cleveland said:

I bet the Thai families involved now know the value of a Lambo down to the last $, and that will be the starting price for "negotiations".

Vehicles are not in Thailand so there will be no blood from that stone.

Archived