Where in Chiang Mai to find reasonably priced Italian cured meats; prosciutto , coppa, salami, etc

wisemonkey

I am looking for a place to buy some good Italian meats, like prosciutto, coppa, and some salami, maybe even some cheeses. Was hoping to get a few suggestions away from the 'rimping' , my fantasy is someone recommending an old italian expat that makes his own and has a basement full of salami hanging from the ceiling and other cured meats selling it for next to nothing, but fantasy aside would like to know a good place in chiang mai to get some italian cured meats

I don't think you're going to find the place of your fantasies, esp. when it comes to the "selling for next to nothing part", but Ragu Restaurant at Promenada mall has a nice selection of cured meats and cheese available for sale from their deli counter.  

Makro may be your best bet for "value" pricing, but they may not have as broad a selection.

For a special treat with a broad selection this type of stuff, try the Sunday buffet on the first Sunday of the month at Le Meridien's Favola restaurant.  Pricey, but if you make your reservation in advance you get a grilled half lobster and glass of sparkling wine.  Join their "SPG club" for free to get a 15% discount.

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Bonissomo

Agree, but note it is not easy to find as they are in a relatively new location on 1001 on the opposite side from Ruam Chok Market towards the back of a new development and they have a restaurant there now called Enoteca. 

29 minutes ago, Kered said:

Agree, but note it is not easy to find as they are in a relatively new location on 1001 on the opposite side from Ruam Chok Market towards the back of a new development and they have a restaurant there now called Enoteca. 

I think it Enoteca is at the back of Fifth Avenue opposite of Meechok..very good food and wine selection.  i am sure you will find what you are looking for.

2 hours ago, jonwilly said:

"I think it Enoteca is at the back of Fifth Avenue opposite of Meechok..very good food and wine selection."

I will second Enoteca , good selection and the man knows his job IMHO.

john

You go up from  Meeckock Plaza when you go to the first turn around

When you go to the location entrance you drive straight into the lane it is directly in font of you

They have a excellent Sunday Buffet

Plenty of Italian food and accessories available to buy

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Enoteca+Great+Fine+Wine/@18.8220072,99.0111943,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x936d4b9dc2eca8b1!8m2!3d18.8292375!4d99.0148421

A few years ago,there was an italian pizza place on soi metro Patts(not where you want i know) He used to order all his stuff from Italy.the Pizza was to die for,but not cheap.He had Salami and cheeses and all sorts of Italian delicacies,too numerous too mention.Sadly,he was so expensive that he only lasted a matter of a few month's.Shame,because i bought some fabulous Provolone from him.

cest la vie. 

Totally agree with the comments about Enocteca and not difficult to find drive along Fifth Avenue past Meekchok on your left and take the first break in the median strip and do a U turn

Its located at the rear of the business park on your left

We have had lunch there twice and dinner last week plus taken home some of their products

They have a great range of products meats and cheeses pickles etc ( try their onion jam) and a huge wine selection the staff are very friendly;y and helpful

Better make a trip to Italy this Christmas and get to Valdarno area between Florence Arezzo and Siena to buy some of those products. Or between Parma Modena and Mantova...other good area for dry meats or Grana Padano.

Next time I go back I will fill my luggage with the 46 kg allowlance of those products to sell here.

But otherwise the best way is to wait at Villamarkets when they make the 50% discount before goods expire date. Often salami and prosciutti. But difficult to find an area in Thailand with a climate like Italy to dry naturaly those meats and cheeses....Italy is unique and unique are the animals and the food they eat and the knowledge how to prepare the cuts.

My dream is that Thai government deletes all import taxes, custom duties and excises on italian goods (Total of 400%)

Merry Cristmas to everybody....

12 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Makro Hangdong has a pretty broad selection of hams, sausages and cheeses.

Go to the counter on the left close to the entrance.

Good luck and have a great Christmas

YES... They have some new staff at that counter (well, fairly new) a Guy and a Girl who are VERY HELPFUL and very POLITE... just like it always used to be in the Good Old Days.

I know where they have inexpensive "Italian" food....

Anywhere in Thailand.  Kuay tiaow (noodle soup) is only 50B or less.

Noodles or "pasta" is actually Chinese, not Italian.  

In fact most Europeans have no idea many of their "traditional" foods come from Mexico or China.  Have a nice whatever holiday you're drinking. ?

5 hours ago, balo said:

I would try Wine Connection first , Enoteca is overpriced but worth it if you can afford it. 

I would disagree with that.. Its not the cheapest no, but its that much better, at only very fractionally more cost.. I think its much better 'value' than wine connection.. Its higher quality and very generous, where WC isnt.. the platter I posted above is I think the small mix platter.. 

When you look at the large ?!?! Also good generous slices of quality cheeses as well as the meats. 

things like this are not an every day item, I can eat street noodles with the best of them, but when I want something special, I want it to be special.. 

IMG_20151022_133532.jpg

Archived