Luggage scanner leaving Suvanabhumi Airport, to pay duties?

Gemmyn

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is now a scanner at Suvanabhumi Airport scanning your luggage when leaving back into Thailand?

In Don Meung, last time we were there, they had a new scanner even though we had "nothing to declare".  

Everyone's luggage was scanned anyhow and they made us pay duties on gifts we bought in Bali, even though it was large amounts we were not selling it in Thailand we told them.

They said they would confiscate all of our goods if we did not pay the customs agent.  He then walked me to an ATM and I paid $100 in duties/taxes.

It was very weird and this was a new machine/scanner put there that we had not seen before...in 12 years of Travelling to and from Thailand.

Is this scanner at Suvanabumi Airport also? AND is the scanner still at Don Meung Airport?

I don't feel like paying duties on gifts coming into Thailand now, and then again in Canada when I claim them.

Thanks, any updated info or tips on this would be greatly appreciated!

Last time i entered Thailand at Don Mueang there was that scanner behind the nothing to declare gate and a row of people waiting there in line who had to put their luggage on the belt. Some officers wear searching in suitcases as well.

If you bring many goods they want you to pay importtax, even for gifts. 

At Swampy they also have a scanner behind the gate, once i had to put my suitcase in it and show the receipts of the machine i had in it. It was 220 euro and i didn't have to pay any tax.

Yes, there were multiples of the same gift item.  I have been through this airport twice a year for the last 12 years and had not seen the scanner before just up until my last trip within Thailand in spring 2015.

It could be because of military rule now and things have changed?

I just know everyone was going through the scanner and had many things, people were crying, and had to pay lots of money. very weird, I had not seen it before.

I may not do my return trip to and from Thailand ever again now if this is the case.  I may just have to get a side ticket there and leave my goods somewhere else in storage?

It's new to me, so was wanting updated info to see if they are still doing this at one, or both, airports?

Last few times I re-entered the country at Swampy, they had the scanner belt going, but they seemed to be profiling certain groups for special scrutiny.  It seemed to be the same folks who spent a long time in discussions with the IO stamping their passports.  They also got some of the folks with extra luggage, regardless of their ethnicity.

Most of us were waved through with a smile.

With all the low cost flights to China, Hong Kong etc from DMK you can make money out of flying to Guangzhou buying in demand electronic stuff, phones cameras cheaply and then resell them in Thailand. Suitcases are full Xiaomi phones. The OP comes along with a suitcase full of many "identical gifts" and gets caught up the customs checks. This is the customs staff doing their job and common the world over.

Came through DMK from Japan, we were the only flight going through customs at the time. They "pulled over" every Thai person to go through their bags. For once being a Farang paid off, I just walked right past them. Still doesn't make up for the dual pricing bullish!t, though.

Just flew through BKK and once again, just walked past them. Guess I look like a tourist.

I've seen this at Swampy too, this year at least, no problem with my bags full of food/books/music-CDs.

I got waved-through on one occasion after I'd said "no alcohol or cigarettes!, if that helps ?

And they didn't ask me to put my carry-on day-pack through  ...  only big bags.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that this happens more in DMK but i don't know why.

I travel on a monthly basis through BKK and had never my luggage checked,

I only have a small business type trolley and maybe this helps.

They profile for sure curtain groups for this scan.

Swampy has those scanners since day one of its operation.

In most cases they wave you through, but a few days ago, even it was peak season, they made almost everyone get at least parts of their luggage scanned.

My 22 packs of sliced cheese, 20 chocolate bars and several KG of gingerbread did not raise their eyebrows, though, and off I was.....

Only time they were interested at BKK was when I had a couple of cheap watches for the Nephews, once they saw the value they waved me on. I reckon they x-ray my bags about once a year and are never interested in all the food I carry.

Archived