Online Sources

Greetings all, 

Are their any online sources for Motorcycle sales in Thailand, specifically Bangkok and/or Chiang Mai? My go to source to date is "Bahtsold.com", but would like to know other sources to compare prices. I am Moving to Thailand around May for TEFL training and work in the Chiang Mai area. I am looking to spend around 50k Baht for a bike that is a "notch" up from a scooter. So far my likely choice for my price range seems to be "Honda Phantom 200", although I would consider the Honda Forsa because of my size (I am a big person at around 6' [184cm,] 270lbs [124kg]). I mainly intend to do some local commuting with the occasional romp on the Highway. Ideally, I would love a traditional looking motorcycle (ala the Honda Phantom). Thanks all in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2016 at 6:55 AM, edwinchester said:

50k bht will get you a nice Phantom but for a big guy is seriously under powered and I found mine uncomfortable on rides over half an hour.

For that kind of money I'd consider the CBR250R.

Thanks much... 

Ideally I am looking to keep my budget at around >35K/less (50k being my max). So far my preference in the style department are the Honda Phantom (Nice style part availible, I am especially keen on the 150cc 2-stroke because of the water cooled engine), Kawasaki Boss (nice style, but worry about parts availability), Keeway Dorado, and Lifan V250. I am partial to the Cruiser style, but will ride a standard, or sport (reluctantly). 

Since starting this thread I have found several more sources: "Kaidee.com", "motors.co.th", but I am always open to further input. as well as a suitable bike for my size and price range (ala edwinchester's input and recommendation). Thanks all for your suggestions and input to date. 

On 12/25/2016 at 1:33 AM, papa al said:

craigslist

I see nice looking Phantoms advertised in your price range.

Good luck & enjoy.

Are you referring the the Craigslist for the states, or is there an incarnation in the Thai area? 

On 12/25/2016 at 6:55 AM, edwinchester said:

50k bht will get you a nice Phantom but for a big guy is seriously under powered and I found mine uncomfortable on rides over half an hour.

For that kind of money I'd consider the CBR250R.

I've been eying the Lifan V20, and the Keeway Superlight and Dorado (if I can find in my price range; I may be willing to put up a few additional coins for these [+10k, give or take]). I also have an eye out for the Kawasaki Boss. What's your take on these models? I am not a particularly fast rider (hence the cruiser preference), but after viewing some of the 2 wheeled riding vids on youtube, I have some shivers down my spine (as well as the biker blood awakening and boiling). 

Although I quite liked my Phantom, build quality/reliability, as I mentioned above my main gripe was comfort. I had the same problem with another 'cruiser' I tried, a Boss.

The Keeway should be quite cheap and the engines have a good reputation. Look good too imho.

The Kwak is getting long in the tooth as will a Phantom 2-stroke you mentioned above.

To be honest I'd get the newest, lowest km's you like the look of and if you can stretch to new the Keeway is very good value.

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

Although I quite liked my Phantom, build quality/reliability, as I mentioned above my main gripe was comfort. I had the same problem with another 'cruiser' I tried, a Boss.

The Keeway should be quite cheap and the engines have a good reputation. Look good too imho.

The Kwak is getting long in the tooth as will a Phantom 2-stroke you mentioned above.

To be honest I'd get the newest, lowest km's you like the look of and if you can stretch to new the Keeway is very good value.

Thanks much for your response. I have found at lease one used Keeway rkv200 @31k baht. That is a look I can definitely tolerate (with a soft saddlebag and a trunk). Style for me is a factor, but is not paramount. Utility and function at cost are my number 1 priorities. I am not an attention hog by any stretch, but I like the cruiser look. I like the cruiser look, but is not a deal breaker. 

15 minutes ago, themorn2112 said:

Thanks much for your response. I have found at lease one used Keeway rkv200 @31k baht. That is a look I can definitely tolerate (with a soft saddlebag and a trunk). Style for me is a factor, but is not paramount. Utility and function at cost are my number 1 priorities. I am not an attention hog by any stretch, but I like the cruiser look. I like the cruiser look, but is not a deal breaker. 

Wow! I check the Keeway Dealership in Chiang Mai and found a Keeway Superlight 200 @ 59k Baht, new. I will definitely consider going the "Cheap charlie" route on my living arrangements to purchase this bike new... :passifier:

Just be aware that going the cheap route may not always have the desired effect.  That is... it may sound like a great deal but then you find performance and comfort aren't there. Followed by a lack of reliability and poor after sales service.

Don't even think of getting  at least 50 percent back when you sell. Cheap bikes have next to no resale value.

I was offered a keeway about 3 years ago. It was not an old bike and had few kms on the clock. I didn't touch it with a barge pole.  Fit and finish wasn't great and it was way underpowered. 

My advise is save a bit more and get a make and model that is suited to your style of riding and stature  (ie weight). You don't need to go fast, but you also don't want to stress/strain the motor.

On 1/6/2017 at 11:06 AM, CMKiwi said:

Just be aware that going the cheap route may not always have the desired effect.  That is... it may sound like a great deal but then you find performance and comfort aren't there. Followed by a lack of reliability and poor after sales service.

Don't even think of getting  at least 50 percent back when you sell. Cheap bikes have next to no resale value.

I was offered a keeway about 3 years ago. It was not an old bike and had few kms on the clock. I didn't touch it with a barge pole.  Fit and finish wasn't great and it was way underpowered. 

My advise is save a bit more and get a make and model that is suited to your style of riding and stature  (ie weight). You don't need to go fast, but you also don't want to stress/strain the motor.

Thank you for your response, input, and advice. The "Cheap Charlie" route I was referring to was in regards to my living arrangements and life style (meaning that I will vie for a lower costing apartment, and sacrificing a few amenities such as upgrading my internet speed). Money is not a motivation for me, so loss of value is not a concern for me. Any purchases I make is with my understanding that the money I spend will be a total loss. I pretty much narrowed my choice down to the Keeway RKV 200, and the Kawi Boss. Both seem to have the same performance that I am looking for. I am not a speed demon by any stretch. I anticipate that most of my riding will be city commuting with the occasional "Visa run". 

Archived