SETV Savannakhet - now asking for itinerary/bank statements

Just a note to inform others

Tried to submit application today for my 6th SETV (3rd from Savannakhet)

Got to the window - after much longer queuing time than previous  - passports being scrutinised more.

He appeared to count my SETVs then asked what am I doing in Thailand.

I told him, I dont work, I'm on an extended holiday

Ok, show me bank statement and 'holiday plan'

As I had nothing prepared, and no data signal (to show a bank balance) I left to consider my next move.

P.S 2 russian girls got the same treatment ahead of me

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think that was the reason they asked for the additional requirements.

I think it is time for a new passport.

For sure thats the reason, and if I'd prepared some paperwork, it would've been ok.

Probably wise to have these proofs for any SETV application going forward

13 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Where were the other 3 SETV's from?

Phnom penh x 2 and Penang (Penang my most recent)

If I had on onward ticket, and printed bank statement - do you think I'll get 30 day stamp on the bridge tomorrow (G7 passport)?

Edited by jonw8uk
add text

6 minutes ago, jonw8uk said:

If I had on onward ticket, and printed bank statement - do you think I'll get 30 day stamp on the bridge tomorrow (G7 passport)?

Unless you a lot of visa exempt entries you will not have a problem getting a 30 day entry at the bridge. They like most other crossing from Laos are friendlier than some other ones.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Unless you a lot of visa exempt entries you will not have a problem getting a 30 day entry at the bridge. They like most other crossing from Laos are friendlier than some other ones.

:shock1: I have 9 visa exempts from 2014/15

will find out tomorrow I guess....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, surinderek said:

it was coming

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Will be interesting what other open doors will start closing in the future.

Getting a fresh passport before one's 7th tourist visa isn't difficult. One can apply by mail near Soi Nana. 

• Like 1

You can print off confirmed hotel reservations on booking.com (linked above on Thaivisa menu) without paying, you only have to pay at the hotel if you go. No credit card required. That works for 'holiday plan' proof. 

I'd get to an internet cafe, print those off along with some bank statements, and try again. 

• Like 1

Just now, jspill said:

Getting a fresh passport before one's 7th tourist visa isn't difficult. One can apply by mail near Soi Nana. 

Yes, thats what i'm thinking.  Slight worry about the turnaround over the xmas period.  Generally under 2 weeks, but could be delayed this time of year.

I've only ever replaced them when full or have been lost.  This passport still has lots pages left.  Am I assuming correctly that if i want a new passport I can just apply, even though my current one is ok, or do I need to damage it?!

7 minutes ago, jonw8uk said:

I've only ever replaced them when full or have been lost.  This passport still has lots pages left.  Am I assuming correctly that if i want a new passport I can just apply, even though my current one is ok, or do I need to damage it?!

I think you will find lots of people have gotten new US passports because of to many visas and stamps.

If you submit the application and pay the $110 fee you will get it.

I have heard of people applying for a new passport because they did not like the photo on the old one,

• Like 2

My Embassy asked me why I want a new passport since the old one still had plenty of empty pages and valid for many years. I told them I plan travel a lot and don't want that the passport gets full while on traveling.

The next time, my passport fell in to water. Can happen. This was reason enough to get a new passport.

• Like 1

But could someone explain to me what is the purpose of staying in Thailand for the whole year or even for many years if you don't have any family or business in the country? I mean if someone really likes the country and want to stay here it would be so damn easy to get an ED Visa and actually study those few hours every week, or am I wrong?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

An ED Visa used to be a way to relax in Thailand and learn the language while exploring the country, etc - but they wrecked that.  For starters, plan to spend 2 hrs/day, 4 hrs/wk (not including home-study, so that it actually does some good) as part of your retirement/vacation plan. 

How long you wish to stay on ED Visas and extensions depends on how many languages you wish to learn, because after 18 months on that schedule, you are considered "done" with learning Thai (as far as immigration is concerned), so need to start a new language. 

Also, be prepared for hassles for extensions every 3 months (depending on the office) or paying extra (~$3500 baht per extension) to not be hassled. 

And don't even think of getting a re-entry permit, and leaving and returning, or you will face hassles upon entry (evidently "real" students never travel to other countries, so this indicates illegal working in Thailand) - and possibly denied entry with your valid visa + re-entry permit. 

Also, be prepared to get a new passport if you want to get a Tourist Visa at a Thai consulate after this, because those dispensing visas have been told that "ED Visa" means, "works in Thailand illegally."

What I have outlined does not occur to every person in every case, but all of these cases have been reported here.  Sad but true.

I presume you mean the govt when you say"they ruined it".Constant abuse and joke status visa is what ruined it by farang rorters.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RayD said:

I'm sitting in a bar in Savanaket right now waiting for the 2pm pick up (multi non O). Everything seems perfectly normal, I didn't see anyone turned away yesterday. 

Was it busy yesterday? I went there Tuesday. Was a long queue. But the pick up process was done in 15 Minutes. I went there at 1:30pm.

Good to know BuckBee. Next time i will follow your advise.

Would you say that's valid for Vientiane as well?

Another question: At the border (Laos side) I recognized that ASEAN people paid 200 Baht. I wonder for what they have to pay.

Edited by alocacoc

3 hours ago, RayD said:

I'm sitting in a bar in Savanaket right now waiting for the 2pm pick up (multi non O). Everything seems perfectly normal, I didn't see anyone turned away yesterday. 

I'm sat in a van heading to Ubon airport.  We'd have been in the same queue yesterday.  The queue was much slower than on my previous 2 visits - before I would hand the application to someone who appeared to be a security guard or helper - he wouldn't scrutinise how many visas, just check all was in order and take the visa fee.  The guy yesterday was looking through passports more intently, hence my standing inline for 1:20h.  Unless you was close behind them, how would you know they'd be turned away, or asked for further documents?

Was yours a SETV application?

Regardless I got 30 days at the bridge without any questions, so all is good for now