My Christmas Pudding

thaigerd

The British Christmas pudding is much darker than this one. Probably richer too as it's full of dark fruit, currents and raisins and such, alcohol, (whiskey and brandy) and often the mixture is soaked in strong black tea.

However, this looks good Gerd.

My father had a recipe for a boiled rich dark Xmas pudding that stayed good for years.

As a lad I remember him soaking the fruit overnight then making a huge mix. He placed the mix into coffee tins and soldered the lids on. There were small holes in the lid.

He placed the tins in an old copper boiler down the back yard and boiled them for hours. When they were cooked he sealed the holes.

I can still smell the rum as he opened the tins. :o

You've done it again! Puleez can I order a loaf from you Gerd? :o

You'll get one!

Gerd

Unbelievable!Yesterday Thaigerd very kindly delivered one to me and I have to say it looks better in real life. Will be eating it tonight after our Sunday roast. Can't wait! Have'nt had Christmas pudding in 12 years!

Dankeschon mak mak! :D

Edited by Chantal

From Dictionary.com

1. a thick, soft dessert, typically containing flour or some other thickener, milk, eggs, a flavoring, and sweetener: tapioca pudding.

2. a similar dish unsweetened and served with or as a main dish: corn pudding.

3. British. the dessert course of a meal.

So what does the word "pudding" mean to you?

G

Never did understand why brits call something SOLID a pudding!

:o

Looks tasty though

Greg

From Dictionary.com

1. a thick, soft dessert, typically containing flour or some other thickener, milk, eggs, a flavoring, and sweetener: tapioca pudding.

So what does the word "pudding" mean to you?

G

Never did understand why brits call something SOLID a pudding!

:o

GOOEY STUFF! :D

You have just reminded me of Xmas puddings we used to have. My mother used to make them in October and store them for Xmas :o

but they seemed to taste fine. They were much darker than yours, but I guess fermenting away in the cupboard explained that.

You have inspired me to try and find the recipe which was scrawled on a piece of very old lilac coloured paper and had been handed down through at least 3 generations of our family (so might not be British pudding after all).

If I find it and get cracking, might be in time for Xmas 2007 :D