Diver Found Dead With Mysterious Throat Wound

rooster59

Diver Found Dead With Mysterious Throat Wound

By Albert Jack

diver-found-dead-2.jpg

PATTAYA:-- At 2.30pm, on the afternoon of December 16, Pattaya police received reports of a body floating in the water 500 meters off Samae Beach, Koh Larn, Pattaya.

At the scene police officers and Sawangboriboon medics discovered the body of a white, western male wearing a black diving suit and flippers. His throat had been cut and, bizarrely, the backpack he was wearing had been tied to a concrete pier-pole.

The unidentified man, approximately 170-175cm in height, was carrying only 1,500 baht in cash in his back pack.

The body was retrieved from the water and has been sent to Banglamung Hospital for autopsy.

Investigating officers admit that, at this stage, they have no idea who he is, how he died or why his body was tied to the pier-pole.

Pattaya police have asked for anybody with any information to come forward and make a statement and for any guest-houses or hotel to report any missing guests.

Source: http://pattayaone.news/en/diver-found-dead-mysterious-throat-wound/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2016-12-17

RIP 

A strange one indeed.

His (or a) backpack tied up along side would contain some items to indicate who he might be.

Most probably a private boat was used unless it's a padi school incident where the story would break sooner or later I expect.

A private boat is more difficult to trace.

Where was his wetsuit & breathing apparatus from?

Was he being dropped off from a passing ship & killed by whoever was meeting him?

A PM will show the contents of his last meal & if there are traces of someone else's skin under his finger nails assuming there was a fight, he may not have even seen this coming.

Did he actually die in the water?

If he bleed out in the sea then there would have been a plethora of sea creatures attracted by the smell of blood.

Was the body also tied up because if he died in the water then he would initially sink especially if he was wearing a divers belt & would have drifted before floating back up as decomposition started to take hold? 

This has all the signs of a Jason Bourne movie

16 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

I think they mean the circumstances - considering they don't know who he is then that is not surprising!!

I think they mean it's hard to comprehend how he put flippers on to tie onto a buoy after cutting his throat with the zipper on the suit.

31 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Diving with a back pack ? Where was the air cylinder ? In U.K. they drum in into you never go diving without a fellow diver, so he would be the one to question. Very strange !

Could be a free diver, I used to keep a back pack with me when I free dived but in an innertube float. 

8 minutes ago, captspectre said:

in the interest of helping the all knowing thai police, allow me to present a possible reason, MURDER!

Murder is obviously a possibility, but why leave the victim in wetsuit and fins, ensuring he would float, then using his backpack tie him to a buoy so he would be quickly found? 

A weird way to commit murder.

Another possibility is suicide. Donning his wetsuit and fins and taking some personal effects with him (what else was in the pack besides cash?) he swam out into the sea, attached himself where he would be found, and slit his own throat.  The wound seems consistent with being self inflicted. Have divers searched the sea floor for a knife? 

A weird way to commit suicide. 

32 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Murder is obviously a possibility, but why leave the victim in wetsuit and fins, ensuring he would float, then using his backpack tie him to a buoy so he would be quickly found? 

A weird way to commit murder.

Another possibility is suicide. Donning his wetsuit and fins and taking some personal effects with him (what else was in the pack besides cash?) he swam out into the sea, attached himself where he would be found, and slit his own throat.  The wound seems consistent with being self inflicted. Have divers searched the sea floor for a knife? 

A weird way to commit suicide. 

if that is the case than the knife would be nearby, would it not?

1 minute ago, captspectre said:

if that is the case than the knife would be nearby, would it not?

The sea is quite big and the knife might be quite light. If they can't find airplane wreckage then the chances are that this knife is ocean's away by now (even though it is a gulf).

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

Diving with a back pack ? Where was the air cylinder ? In U.K. they drum in into you never go diving without a fellow diver, so he would be the one to question. Very strange !

Maybe he did go with a fellow diver who wasn't imbued with the Christmas spirit and who didn't wish him well.

Just because his throat is cut didn't necessary means he died from that, the cut wound could had happened after he died.

As mentioned before, cutting a throat will means blood pumping out rapidly and will attach marine animals big time and they will start eating the body.

Okay I will not comment further on it, no need to try to play  detective as I am not trained how to do that.

I hope the police solve this and find out who the poor soul is, RIP.

3 hours ago, whatproblem said:

His throats cut and the police have no idea how he died ,amazing police force

Tragic event, but far from obvious what happened.  Looking at the linked photo, the way the fabric near his neck wound is shredded would add to the mystery. 

Could have been a boating accident, could have been rubbing up against a sharp surface, or it could have been a simple drowning with all the damage caused after death by rubbing against the pier pole. 

In our offshore operations, we occasionally see bodies drifting by our platforms and we're not allowed to do anything but call the police.  It could be someone came across a floating body and just secured it to the pier pole to make it easier to find, then decided the better of getting involved with the police.  Perhaps a boat ran him over and they decided to beat it out of their after tying the body to the pier so it wouldn't float away.

Too many possibilities to speculate on murder, suicide or accident.

Archived