When Somchai pulls the trigger - time to leave LoS

onlycw

What's up everybody?

Some of you may have read this article: https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2011/05/when-somchai-pulls-the-trigger/

What will it take for you to resign your position and move on? The point has come for me...

It's both not surprising but still shocking how complete the disregard for our customers is. The organization doesn't exist to serve the community or other stakeholders, except the teachers? What is your take?

Life's short, make the most of it here and now

The link didn't work for me, but doesn't matter. I quit reading stickman long ago, when he moved back to New Zealand. Your remarks also don't make sense to me but in conclusion...

It has been determined by "Bangkok" that the MEP and EP programs have run their course and the results haven't been Thai students fluent in English. The investment in short, has been a failure. Therefore of course, the programs are being phased out of the budget. As for the other foreigner teachers, they are being replaced by Filipino's as of course the wage is much lower and Filipino's don't complain like the Farang's do. In short, as you I think concluded, it's time to move along, find another country to hang out. Good luck to you all. 

1 minute ago, ghworker2010 said:

Is this a stickman sponsored thread. I think so. His name has been popping up a lot lately. I presume he is needing to replenish his financial war chest

He's been, for years, accepting advertisements from a known pimp. The praise heaped on this pimp is disgusting. All credibility on the teaching front is lost and gone forever. But as I said, we don't need the link. Whoever "Somchai" is doesn't matter. The funding of the foreigner teachers is being reduced as the results don't justify the spending and, well you figure it out. Hire more Filipino's of which there will never be a shortage as they work for half or less than a NES and "Education" degrees can be obtained simply by asking a Philippine University to change your major and print one out. All of this together is unfortunate for the Thai youth. God Bless you and OO.

Huh? No click bait - apologies, I just thought the article might say something about feeling disappointed, disillusioned, deflated. Here it is again, as Bruce says it's not working?

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2011/05/when-somchai-pulls-the-trigger/ 

I thought this was a thing from the past - Stickman

The relentless drive to cut costs led to contracts being ending in February (not March or even April as was customary in the past). YMMV, but more and more Africans appear on the scene AFAIK. What matters is to save some $$$s. 

It's all about the bucks - the rest is just conversation (Gordon Gecko, played by Michael Dougles in "Wall Street")

The link works just fine.  After 15 years of living and teaching in Thailand, Somchai has already pulled the trigger on me.  (The events were recounted in posts in this forum).

Now I live and teach in Myanmar, (I used to teach here in 2012/2013).  I've put Thailand behind me.  I had mostly good memories.  But when Somchai pulled the trigger, every Thai person that I had helped over the years turned their backs...

Actually, I don't really think about my time in Phuket.  I'm enjoying my teaching job in Myanmar, enjoying a salary which is about 3 times more than what I earned when teaching in Thailand, enjoying the good weather, and trying to enjoy the local food!

After 12 years at a certain university, resigned.... The Administration is smokin some strong stuff.

It was actually pretty good but the hot button was hit... I cannot work with people I do not respect.

Moving on....

If the Thai develop Filipino accents I will leave and never return. Dead serious. They can recite grammar rules but they don't use them in spoken or written English. My hunch is most don't have TOEIC scores even hitting 850. I bet 10-15% of the Thai students in my program write as well or better than the NNES teachers.

EP may prove to be a waste, but that's largely bc of the Filipino subjects teachers imo.

I think the Intensive kids are overall the sharpest and most dilligent group. I liked my year teaching a few classes last year. Very focused and productive.

Pay peanuts get monkeys

What a bunch of nonsense, every country in SE Asia and the Far East has undergone localisation of positions covering the past twenty years or more, expensive expat staff get moved out as local people replace them - some positions require more time than others to replace.

10 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

What a bunch of nonsense, every country in SE Asia and the Far East has undergone localisation of positions covering the past twenty years or more, expensive expat staff get moved out as local people replace them - some positions require more time than others to replace.

Would applaud Thai's taking back teaching all facets of teaching English.

Unfortunately, it will end up being all about money. The price of everything and the value of nothing comes quickly to mind.

The problem with English teaching lies less with the staff employed, and more with the curriculum, which in many schools is hit and miss.   There needs to be consistent emphasis on using English and competency and that goes well beyond simply teaching grammar principles.  

Many good teachers are constrained by a curriculum which does not allow them to address the actual learning needs of the students.   The curriculum does not compensate for bad teachers.   

We live in an age with internet, lots of multi-media and tons of resources, none of which is properly utilized for a productive outcome in Thailand.  

Many poorer countries have gotten much further, with less resources.   It's a reflection on how they wish to have the country operate.

I think the concept about Somchai pulling the trigger is really spot on.

I think most expats, especially long term expats well understand what this is about.

I've been fortunate enough to not have Somachai pull the trigger on me yet ... but I've seen the gun quite a few times, and understand it can happen anytime.

Don't get too comfortable. 

On 17/12/2016 at 1:14 PM, onlycw said:

Huh? No click bait - apologies, I just thought the article might say something about feeling disappointed, disillusioned, deflated. Here it is again, as Bruce says it's not working?

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2011/05/when-somchai-pulls-the-trigger/ 

I thought this was a thing from the past - Stickman

The relentless drive to cut costs led to contracts being ending in February (not March or even April as was customary in the past). YMMV, but more and more Africans appear on the scene AFAIK. What matters is to save some $$$s. 

It's all about the bucks - the rest is just conversation (Gordon Gecko, played by Michael Dougles in "Wall Street")

I don't think anything's changed in Thailand in that regard but one's reasons for remaining here may have changed from five and a half years ago; mine have, I'm disillusioned and disappointed but haven't become deflated - I now focus on the stuff I still believe to be good, expect less and read more.

What makes the mark of a true expatriate? Getting kicked in the teeth and getting back up and back in the ring.

It's what separates us from the five and even ten year baby travelers.

If you were back 'home', how many times would life get the upper hand?

Thailand isn't any more racist or xenophobic as any other country, especially one that has an annual tourist ratio of 1:3-4.

They allow us to teach in their public schools.

I bet I get twice as much shit put on me by other foreigners than by Thai's.

Stickman is a fail.

If I go back it will be bc I can't own land. Not for some bs reason like this.

If you don't like it, pull the trigger. Bye bye.

I read the stickman thread, it's a nice piece but nothing that hasn't been written about a million times before. 'Somchai pulling the trigger' is just another way of saying reality sets in/hits hard. The other tips about making a small fortune in LOS by starting out with a big one are just tired cliches. The best thing teachers can do is to always be applying for new positions instead of sitting on their laurels, so to speak. I read this advice years ago and very few teachers follow it. Most teachers only apply when they are looking for a new position and then slump into familiarity and routine. Teachers should constantly be updating and sending out their CVs and be flexible about where they live and work. 

6 hours ago, jadee said:

I read the stickman thread, it's a nice piece but nothing that hasn't been written about a million times before. 'Somchai pulling the trigger' is just another way of saying reality sets in/hits hard. The other tips about making a small fortune in LOS by starting out with a big one are just tired cliches. The best thing teachers can do is to always be applying for new positions instead of sitting on their laurels, so to speak. I read this advice years ago and very few teachers follow it. Most teachers only apply when they are looking for a new position and then slump into familiarity and routine. Teachers should constantly be updating and sending out their CVs and be flexible about where they live and work. 

Actually, that might not be the best idea.   I worked for the same director over the years at several different schools.   My salary rose each year, some years it was a very good raise.   I got more responsibility and eventually was placed in an administrative position.   My last salary was 70,000 ++ (I am paid extra for assisting with other schools, which comes to additional 12,000 to 18,000 per month).   Meanwhile, many of the teachers I started work with have moved from school to school and have never managed to break the 40,000 baht.  

The Thais tend to value loyalty.   If you find a school that seems decent and gives reasonable benefits, it's not a bad idea to stay and work your way up the ladder.  

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Actually, that might not be the best idea.   I worked for the same director over the years at several different schools.   My salary rose each year, some years it was a very good raise.   I got more responsibility and eventually was placed in an administrative position.   My last salary was 70,000 ++ (I am paid extra for assisting with other schools, which comes to additional 12,000 to 18,000 per month).   Meanwhile, many of the teachers I started work with have moved from school to school and have never managed to break the 40,000 baht.  

The Thais tend to value loyalty.   If you find a school that seems decent and gives reasonable benefits, it's not a bad idea to stay and work your way up the ladder.  

Agreed... That was working for me as well until the next Administration team came.  Moved on.

That is always a risk that one takes when there is a change in management.   The problem is that so often when changing jobs, people start over at the bottom.  

I've seen so many teachers that have been teaching for 15 + years and they still are bouncing on the low end of an entry level salary.   They keep hopping from school to school.  

The time at the school was most enjoyable and rewarding.  For me it was never a job, I enjoyed what I was doing and supported.   As this new focus with CEFR consumes the ADM people, unrealistic demands take place... and to some degree that is good, for setting a standard high enables the mechanism to strive towards the goal.

I have been through 4 administrations, sadly all were not through natural progressions, somebody got their hands caught in the cookie jar.

However, it was the teachers and staff that I came in contract daily that made the difference and that is how I want to remember my teaching experiences in Thailand.

Archived