Only 2 Visa Exempt Entries At Border Crossings Per Calendar Year Effective Dec 31st

2 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

Does this mean that border crossings like Mai Sai that do not allow visa exempt crossings will have to change their policy and allow visa exempt crossing up to 2 per year?  

I doubt it will change that.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Suttisan said:

Fair enough,  2 x 2 months is more than enough time for seeing Thailand. Just out of interest are tourist visas multiple entry? 

<sigh>  Visa exempts are NOT for 2 months a time.  They are for 30 days for citizens of a G7 country at a land crossing and 15 days for other countries.  

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/contents/files/services-20150120-100712-551809.pdf

17 minutes ago, koolbreez said:

From my understanding crossing at a land border was only good for a 14 day visa exempt stamp, or is it 15 days, I can't remember. If you cross at say Vientaine to go get a tourist visa, you shouldn't be affected, if you qualify for the visa. If you are a backpacker crossing to go to another country more than two times on your trip then you are in trouble if you can not qualify financially for a tourist visa. I am not sure what the consequences will be if you have a plane ticket flying out of Bangkok, and you have crossed  the land borders more than two times. That one will be interesting, especially if they can not qualify for a tourist visa to get back in the country.

G 7 country passport holders get 30 days, land or flying in

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jpinx said:

There appears to be an exemption for Malaysian passport holders, and maybe other local countries as may be specified.  There's going to be a lot of worried Philippina teachers,,,,,,,,

A lot of Malaysians do drive over to Hat Yai and beyond over the weekends and their bank Holidays, a lot more than a couple of times a year, Without this exemption there'll be a significant hit to tourism, so it looks like those who put up the rule knows what they're doing.

Backpackers aren't going to be making more than a couple of land crossings in a year surely.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

<sigh>  Visa exempts are NOT for 2 months a time.  They are for 30 days for citizens of a G7 country at a land crossing and 15 days for other countries.  

<sigh> you can extend 30 days then 7 days so it averages out to 2 months for everyone. 

you can extend 30 days then 7 days so it averages out to 2 months for everyone. 

Slight correction... you can extend once for 30 days & apply for another extension which will be rejected and you'll be given 7 days to leave the country.

(In my book) not the same as extending for 30 days then extending for another 7 days but practically amounts to the same
  • Like 1

A lot of Malaysians do drive over to Hat Yai and beyond over the weekends and their bank Holidays, a lot more than a couple of times a year, Without this exemption there'll be a significant hit to tourism, so it looks like those who put up the rule knows what they're doing.

Backpackers aren't going to be making more than a couple of land crossings in a year surely.

..., except for
Malaysian citizens or citizens of other countries, as specified by the minister.

It's there in black and white ..

The only people who this effects are people who probably shouldn't be here. TBH, I hope this sticks at the Malay borders and immigration can do away with this poorly enforced threat that you have to spend a night in Malaysia before returning.

Out of interest where do you fly from? I've been asked in UK and New Zealand a few times.

Singapore 6-8 times a year (my record is 5 trips in 4 weeks), never been asked to show a Visa (UK passport)

Edit: Only time you might (will) be asked is if you're on a one way ticket or your return is more than 30 days later

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Travill said:

just to understand this rule : it is for people that have enter Thailand without getting visa.in other words those that arrive without visa.

but those how have enter Thailand with  a visa can still do more than 2 border runs per year ?

If you mean someone that has a valid multiple entry visa then yes, at the moment, you can get a new 90 day entry at most land borders using the visa.

44 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

but they can be extended for 30 days.  I imagine this is what was meant by 2x2 months.

Apologies- a couple of posters have made this point already- I was away for a few minutes.

Edited by Slip
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, overherebc said:

In all honesty I would reckon that 'genuine' tourists come to Thailand for 2 to 3 weeks a year, maybe 4 and some may come twice and this will have no impact on them in any way.

We are all aware that 99% of people now are being asked to show a visa prior to boarding for a flight to Thailand. Is that any different to my wife needing a visa to go to UK on holiday with me for a fortnight. Let's face it, she couldn't do border runs to France monthly and stay as long as she wanted.

If it impacts on some teachers who may be unqualified etc and use border hops to keep going and have to leave next year then maybe, just maybe it might change the attitude of the schools that hire them. We all live in hope I suppose.

Quite how it will affect the digital nomads who will convince you they make mega-bucks I don't know.

Maybe they will have to bite the bullet and pay for the Elite Visa?

99% of people are NOT asked for visas prior to boarding a flight to Thailand, where did you come up with this considering probably 95% of the people who arrive in Thailand via the airport arrive on Visa Exempts

• Like 2

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

In all honesty I would reckon that 'genuine' tourists come to Thailand for 2 to 3 weeks a year, maybe 4 and some may come twice and this will have no impact on them in any way.

We are all aware that 99% of people now are being asked to show a visa prior to boarding for a flight to Thailand. Is that any different to my wife needing a visa to go to UK on holiday with me for a fortnight. Let's face it, she couldn't do border runs to France monthly and stay as long as she wanted.

If it impacts on some teachers who may be unqualified etc and use border hops to keep going and have to leave next year then maybe, just maybe it might change the attitude of the schools that hire them. We all live in hope I suppose.

Quite how it will affect the digital nomads who will convince you they make mega-bucks I don't know.

Maybe they will have to bite the bullet and pay for the Elite Visa?

My bold for clarity.  Meanwhile the schools can't get the staff because the screws are being tightened on non-imm b visas and degree verification rules at the same time.  From the point of view of education this will just cause a bigger problem than already exists.  The slack is being taken up by backpackers employed through agencies that can stay literally for 3-6 months and have no qualifications and no experience.

Edited by Scott
Edited Bold text out of quote
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, darrendsd said:

99% of people are NOT asked for visas prior to boarding a flight to Thailand, where did you come up with this considering probably 95% of the people who arrive in Thailand via the airport arrive on Visa Exempts

Probably the same place you plucked your 95% from. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Singapore 6-8 times a year (my record is 5 trips in 4 weeks), never been asked to show a Visa (UK passport)

When I think about it yes, never been asked in Singers or HCMC. But for sure EU airports, for me mostly Aberdeen, Heathrow and Aukland have always asked.

Anyway I suppose the topic is land crossings.

We are not really on topic.?

Came back from Aukland last month and my 10th or 12th non O multi had expired 4 days before the flight date. They called a supervisor, we had a chat and he allowed me to board after seeing my previous visas i the passport.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

It suggests that in the future it may happen though.  In the same way as many airlines will not allow travel for people with visas but no onward ticket due to their concern about having to pay to repatriate the visitor, it seems likely that they will start to look at how many visa exempt entrances travellers have.  (Assuming of course that this rule is rolled out for fliers as well as land border crossings).

Edited by Slip
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

"Those who enter the Kingdom temporarily for tourism in accordance with
Paragraphs 3 by crossing Immigration check points at land borders are entitled to
enter the Kingdom in this way no more than two times per calendar year, except for
Malaysian citizens or citizens of other countries, as specified by the minister.”

This suggests that exceptions could be made to this rule, and it might not end up applying to every nationality.

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

When I think about it yes, never been asked in Singers or HCMC. But for sure EU airports, for me mostly Aberdeen, Heathrow and Aukland have always asked.

Anyway I suppose the topic is land crossings.

We are not really on topic.?

Yes,  land crossings are the topic, fly out, fly in never been asked what I am doing in KL, or Singapore, when arriving in Suvarnabhumi airport you get a visa on arrival valid 3 months as a European at least

12 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Probably the same place you plucked your 95% from. 

We all know that you can never provide any facts to back up the various claims you make on this forum so I thought I would follow your lead

The main word in my post was "Probably" I don't believe this means I am stating it is a fact, just so you understand 

Edited by darrendsd
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, kraxlhuber said:

Yes,  land crossings are the topic, fly out, fly in never been asked what I am doing in KL, or Singapore, when arriving in Suvarnabhumi airport you get a visa on arrival valid 3 months as a European at least

Don't you get 30 days? Not 3 months. Same as land crossings.

Just to get back on topic.?