Three Israelis seriously injured after fall at Flight of the Gibbon Chiang Mai

Jonathan Fairfield

Three Israelis seriously injured after fall at Flight of the Gibbon Chiang Mai

tr.jpg

Image: Thairath

An Israeli tourist remains in intensive care after falling from a zip line at a tourist attraction in Chiang Mai.

Two other people, one a seven year old boy, were also seriously injured following the accident on Friday at the Flight of the Gibbon adventure park in Mae Rim. 

The two adults and the boy were rushed to the Chiang Mai Ram Hospital when they fell to the ground after colliding with one another on the zip line.

The two adults were identified as Ms Orit Rov, 40, and Mr Sahar Meir 42,. 

Ms Rov is intensive care, while Ms Meir is also being treated in hospital. The boy, identified as Liam Boborow has been discharged from hospital after receiving treatment for a shoulder injury. 

On Saturday, police and local officials ordered the Flight of the Gibbon in Chiang Mai to remain closed.

This isn’t the first time foreign tourists have been injured while visiting one of Thailand’s adventure zip line attractions.

In October last year, a Chinese national died after falling from a zip line at the Flying Squirrels attraction also in Chiang Mai.

Flight of the Gibbon, operates in a number of locations in Thailand including Chonburi and Koh Phangan boasts as having “the longest, highest and fastest ziplines in the world”.

Source: http://www.thairath.co.th/content/814046

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-17

3 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Why do people thrill seek in 3rd world and developing countries? It's not like they will adhere to safety standards because there are none!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Not just 3rd world and developing countries, unless you put Australia in that category.

This past October 4 died and others badly injured when a thrill ride ride went wrong at Australia's most popular fun park "Dreamworld" on the Gold Coast in QLD

Well covered in international media.

Don't forget those hot air balloon deathtraps....Oh well, the songtaews will have to revert back to promoting soapy massage.  I wonder if the Israeli were trying to get three for the price of two, and were deceptive about the seven year old....I know some airline folks that say some of the attempts to break the rules were not only unbelievable, but unbelievable that people had the guts to try it.

2 hours ago, mcfish said:

Why do people thrill seek in 3rd world and developing countries? It's not like they will adhere to safety standards because there are none!

Have you tried this particular activity? If not, you don't know what you are talking about. I did it last year with my two daughters and I was impressed at how seriously they took the safety measures. 

I can't imagine how two people can collide on the zip lines as there aren't any parts where they would cross each other (everything goes in one direction only). Also, one can't commence one's ride till the other rider is already safely on the platform and disengaged from the zip line

There aren't enough details to speculate on what actually happened.

Flight of Gibbon have an exemplary safety record, up to now they have had no such incident. Says a lot considering how much business they do day in and day out. They charge more than other zip-line tours in CM justified IMO for there superior service and location. I'm not involved in the business but have had several visiting friends and relatives over the years go for a zip and loved it.

The article says " adventure park in Mae Rim".... have they opened a new location? the original site is in Mae Kompong (Doi Saket).

Not fair if they get shut down over one non-fatal incident.....considering the Death-Canyon water park is still open after numerous deaths.

Flight of the Gibbon has good/normal safety standards and they use good safety equipment + harnesses + helmets.

The main line is used in combination with an additional life line. That one user breaks his 2 lines is rare. In this case there were 3 falling victims.

The precise accident has not been detailed, but a collision or unsafe action by one or more of the 3 users is not excluded.

I hope the victims are doing well.

a3907ec8615ab1a5c4df07cf8c8eace0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

15 hours ago, mcfish said:

Well while you're at it why not say why would people drive in 3rd world and developing countries since safety standards are not up to par? Why even come here in the first place?

Balderdash! I am close to one zip line operation in Thailand and I know they have high safety standards and strive to improve on those standards every year. I have watched them train and bring in the experts for training and consultations. Your comment is at best based solely on ignorance. I will try to get details on what happened over at the Gibbon later today. And as others noted, Flight of the Gibbon had been in operation for nearly a decade without a serious incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Well while you're at it why not say why would people drive in 3rd world and developing countries since safety standards are not up to par? Why even come here in the first place?

You nailed it!

Exactly why I don't drive. But it's a bit silly not to come here because I don't participate in risky sports or don't drive a car lol

If you don't work or don't have a family why on earth would anyone drive a car?

Balderdash! I am close to one zip line operation in Thailand and I know they have high safety standards and strive to improve on those standards every year. I have watched them train and bring in the experts for training and consultations. Your comment is at best based solely on ignorance. I will try to get details on what happened over at the Gibbon later today. And as others noted, Flight of the Gibbon had been in operation for nearly a decade without a serious incident.

RUBBISH! there were 17000 injuries recorded over a 16 year period globally with the highest proportion in the last 4 years . Unless you were on your balcony with binoculars watching every ride then you are completely clueless! I guarantee Thailand has a strong share in those statistics

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3259783/Zip-line-popularity-soars-injuries-study-finds.html

17 minutes ago, mcfish said:

You nailed it!

Exactly why I don't drive. But it's a bit silly not to come here because I don't participate in risky sports or don't drive a car lol

Nothing wrong with driving here if you are a defensive driver and stay totally concentrated on what you are doing.

Nothing wrong with driving here if you are a defensive driver and stay totally concentrated on what you are doing.

It afraid statistics don't support you. You can drive as safely as you like until that minibus driver forces you into a ditch...

RUBBISH! there were 17000 injuries recorded over a 16 year period globally with the highest proportion in the last 4 years . Unless you were on your balcony with binoculars watching every ride then you are completely clueless! I guarantee Thailand has a strong share in those statistics

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3259783/Zip-line-popularity-soars-injuries-study-finds.html

And I guarantee that if you were to read that article a tad more closely you might realize that the data was derived from US Emergency room statistics and have not incorporated any Thai data what so ever. It also includes injuries from "backyard" zip lines. And although I can't "guarantee" anything, my guess is that those backyard zip lines have a strong share of those injury reports.

And I don't need binoculars as there is one zip line that runs over some property that we own.

And I guarantee that if you were to read that article a tad more closely you might realize that the data was derived from US Emergency room statistics and have not incorporated any Thai data what so ever. It also includes injuries from "backyard" zip lines. And although I can't "guarantee" anything, my guess is that those backyard zip lines have a strong share of those injury reports.

And I don't need binoculars as there is one zip line that runs over some property that we own.

That's way better thanks for the correction. If they can't get it right in first world what hope does developimg or 3rd world have? You sound like a share holder! Can't imagine why you would think thailand is some sort of world leader in safety standards!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Not just 3rd world and developing countries, unless you put Australia in that category.

This past October 4 died and others badly injured when a thrill ride ride went wrong at Australia's most popular fun park "Dreamworld" on the Gold Coast in QLD

No comment mcfish on deaths in Australia's biggest theme park or are you just hell bent on this zip line accident.Dreamworld has only just re opened after a full safety check but the horse had already bolted.

Your original opinion was that this accident is a third world ,developing country problem,its obviously not so why not corrrect your original statement and we will be happy to add a "like" to your collection

I would not trust Thais to maintain a life supporting device like that, as every time I see one break something, they cover it up if it hasn't been noticed, if they know you saw it they just smile and walk away.  Losing face and safety does not mix in my book.  All these types of thrill rides have risks though, so to each his own.

19 hours ago, Sparkles said:

That happened on a tame sissy ride. Mechanical failure combined with an unusual bit of bad luck. Nothing like a Thrill seeking ride.

4 hours ago, mcfish said:

You nailed it!

Jeez...

Just quoting one of your several posts.

Is it actually safe to get out of bed in the mornings? Or even leave the apartment?

Jeez...
Just quoting one of your several posts.
Is it actually safe to get out of bed in the mornings? Or even leave the apartment?

Your a drama queen. One doesn't have to go bungy jumping daily to live a successful life in Thailand

8 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Your a drama queen. One doesn't have to go bungy jumping daily to live a successful life in Thailand

Nah, guess i'm just a glass half full type of guy. Rather than half empty. Ya know, try and live life to the full, wake up each morning with a smile on my face, life can be fun, positivity, rather than negativity, non health and safety nazi, etc etc...

That's way better thanks for the correction. If they can't get it right in first world what hope does developimg or 3rd world have? You sound like a share holder! Can't imagine why you would think thailand is some sort of world leader in safety standards!

Crickey! Some convoluted logic there.

I am not a shareholder. I do not assume that Thais are either superior nor inferior to other people. I do know that the Thai zip line operators strive towards a safe operation no less than anywhere else. My close friends who run a zip line here are committed to safety.

As for what happened, my first, yet unconfirmed reports, are an operator error. The report is that an adult and child were released in tandem and then a third adult was released before the tandem pair were secured, or perhaps even arrived at the destination platform. The two groups collided which is suggested by the internal injuries suffered by the adults. No injuries suggest they fell from the zip line itself, such as injured limbs. Visibility, or lack there of, may have been a factor as it has been foggy and misty up in the hills the past few days. But that is no excuse for launching someone before getting a clear signal. The incident did happen at Flight of the Gibbon and not in Mae Rim, but some Thai news sources used stock footage from a zip line in Mae Rim which may have led to some confusion.

I've done the Flight of the Gibbon and I cannot see how anyone could possibly collide with anyone else on this zipline run; it doesn't make sense! Only one single rig is ever on the wire at any given moment and the traffic is entirely one way only, so how...

I guess if you were really dumb, you could get in the way at a landing stage and get injured by an incoming zipliner but really it is pretty hard to understand what may have happened here.

Archived