Visa in Ho Chi Minh

First trip to Ho Chi Minh for visa run. It was easy to get still i had 5 visas from before, different places everytime. But remember to have ticket out of Thailand ready,  and copy of the booking for the trip to Vietnam. First time ive been asked for that. they took copy of passport and old visa in the office. No queue so if you have everything ready in and out in 5 min. 

1 hour ago, Thares1 said:

No Both ways. 

I have never heard of any other consulate or embassy asking for proof of how you arrived in the country of application and I can't see the logic of it.

I would think some people wont be able to provide any copy of the trip to Vietnam especially if for example they have travelled overland from neighbouring Cambodia. I also noticed nothing is mentioned on the consulate website about this requirement.

so now they have three requirements at Ho Chi Minh City

1. copy of your booking into Vietnam

2. copy of your booking back into Thailand

3.copy of your booking out of Thailand

has anyone else other than the original poster been asked to provide a copy of an a ticket into Vietnam?

Edited by Asiantravel

3 hours ago, Thares1 said:

Thats Correct. 

because there is no mention of what they asked from you on their website plus no one else who has obtained a Visa in Ho Chi Minh City has ever mentioned this strange requirement so I am thinking it was a special request in your case for whatever reason.

Anyway I have sent an email to them at the consulate asking them to clarify this and I will post the response here once I receive it. 

5 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

I have never heard of any other consulate or embassy asking for proof of how you arrived in the country of application and I can't see the logic of it.

<SNIP>

has anyone else other than the original poster been asked to provide a copy of an a ticket into Vietnam?

There's very little logic or consistency in the requirements of embassies worldwide which seem to interpret the set rules with their own discretion.

I will be applying for a tourist visa in HCMC on Thursday and will report back on the requirements.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thares1 said:

It was not only me, There was a couple of others to with the same problem. Talked with a few of them. 

Well we shall see what the consulate says in their reply. All I can say is it would make no sense whatsoever that they would deny a tourist Visa to someone who wants to visit Thailand and satisfies all the criteria listed on their website ( but which mentions nothing about all this ) but can't provide evidence they flew  into Vietnam because they came by bus from Cambodia.

As far as I can see it has no bearing whatsoever regarding the subject matter of the Visa application itself.

8 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

There's very little logic or consistency in the requirements of embassies worldwide which seem to interpret the set rules with their own discretion.

I will be applying for a tourist visa in HCMC on Thursday and will report back on the requirements.

that would be very helpful thanks:smile:

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:20 PM, Thares1 said:

It was not only me, There was a couple of others to with the same problem. Talked with a few of them. 

maybe I misinterpreted you but I thought you were trying to imply you need to have an   airline ticket booking into Vietnam (because you said they declined to accept even your boarding pass of your flight to Vietnam ) and yet on their website of required documentation they list the following :-

• Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

• Visa application form completely filled out

• Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph (s) of the applicant

• Evidence of travel (air/bus ticket to and from Thailand)

• Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

so if they are prepared to accept just a bus ticket  for the entry in to Thailand and also exit from Thailand at the end of the Visa period why would they not accept a bus ticket in to Vietnam in the first place?

1 hour ago, Asiantravel said:

maybe I misinterpreted you but I thought you were trying to imply you need to have an   airline ticket booking into Vietnam (because you said they declined to accept even your boarding pass of your flight to Vietnam ) and yet on their website of required documentation they list the following :-

• Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

• Visa application form completely filled out

• Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph (s) of the applicant

• Evidence of travel (air/bus ticket to and from Thailand)

• Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

so if they are prepared to accept just a bus ticket  for the entry in to Thailand and also exit from Thailand at the end of the Visa period why would they not accept a bus ticket in to Vietnam in the first place?

I don't see where the OP states they would not accept his boarding pass??

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Just applied for my single entry tourist visa an the only requirements were

Passport copy

Ticket into Thailand

Ticket out of Thailand

Others applying (Russians) only presented the same.

thank you for that

I thought I smelt BS from the moment I read the original post.

in Post 7 above  he even suggests others who were applying at the same time as him also had the same problem and yet miraculously this requirement seems to have disappeared overnight.

I don't know what motivates people to come on this site and spread false and misleading information.

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

Collected passport this afternoon.

As it was my 3rd tourist visa from this office I specifically asked if there is a '3 strikes and you're out' rule and was told no, I can apply there again.

Mind this was by the less officious Thai girl behind the counter and the overly officious VN lady was not present.

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 11:20 AM, LongTimeLurker said:

Just applied for my single entry tourist visa an the only requirements were

Passport copy

Ticket into Thailand

Ticket out of Thailand

Others applying (Russians) only presented the same.

I do not intend to leave thailand after the 60days....but extend at immigration for another 30 days. Do i need a ticket out of thailand after 60 days?? If so can i buy a cheap bus ticket...that i wont use??

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 2:11 PM, Asiantravel said:

I would think some people wont be able to provide any copy of the trip to Vietnam especially if for example they have travelled overland from neighbouring Cambodia. I also noticed nothing is mentioned on the consulate website about this requirement.

so now they have three requirements at Ho Chi Minh City

1. copy of your booking into Vietnam

2. copy of your booking back into Thailand

3.copy of your booking out of Thailand

Never. Done it 5 times. Love Vietnam.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Helen68 said:

Yes correct. Do i need to show an outward ticket at HCMC?? For a single tourist visa.

Yes.

Edit: best have it within the date of visa validity (60 days) regardless of extension, especially if it is a throw away ticket.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Yes.

Edit: best have it within the date of visa validity (60 days) regardless of extension, especially if it is a throw away ticket.

" best have it within the date of visa validity (60 days) regardless of extension, especially if it is a throw away ticket. "

I’ve been reading all these different comments and I’m sorry what you say makes as little sense and is as illogical as what  the OP Thares 1 said in the  first post of this thread (i.e. that Ho Chi Minh City consulate also out of the blue suddenly started demanding to see a flight ticket into Vietnam.)

If the Visa is for 60 days plus the right to extend it for a further 30 days I would find it extremely hard to believe the Thai consulate would deliberately force   people to buy an air ticket for a departure date from Thailand that is 60 days after entry just to be able to qualify for a Visa application knowing that that money would then be essentially wasted ?:blink:

No matter even if it is a throwaway ticket it would negate a major part of the 1000 baht saving (if not all of it) the Thai government is offering to supposedly  lure tourists until the end of February.

Besides that   Phnom Penh Thai embassy which also has a similar requirement regarding proof of travel out of Thailand  in the past have always accepted an air ticket based on departing Thailand after 90 days.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Helen is not leaving Thailand until May and is specifically looking for a throw away ticket.

but if she gets a Visa next week with 60+30 days that will only take her up until the beginning of April.

How does she propose to stay until May without actually leaving and re-entering Thailand?

19 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

but if she gets a Visa next week with 60+30 days that will only take her up until the beginning of April.

How does she propose to stay until May without actually leaving and re-entering Thailand?

Dunno

But getting a throw away ticket with 60 + 30 days validity certainly won't help her, which is why I suggested within the 60 days so she is less likely to face questions at the consulate

16 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Dunno

But getting a throw away ticket with 60 + 30 days validity certainly won't help her, which is why I suggested within the 60 days so she is less likely to face questions at the consulate

I think you are missing my point. And in the interests of giving this lady and any others who happen to read this thread  information which is neither misleading or incorrect it's important to clarify this.

I still don’t understand why you are advising her to buy a throwaway ticket to show she’s leaving 60 days after her entry when she needs to leave and re-enter 90 days after her entry in any case. Or am I missing something?

At the beginning of April she will actually need to get another single entry Visa somewhere or re-enter on a Visa exemption for 30 days which in any case can only be done by flying back into Thailand (unless she is from a G7 country which she doesn’t mention).

I live in the UK but will be coming to Thailand in Feb and I'm visiting Hanoi leaving and returning  by way of Don Muang.

We're only staying for 7 days in Vietnam, I'll have 3 or 4 Thai people with me. I think I can stay up to 15 days visa free and the Thai's can 28 or 30 days visa free which more that covers our stay. My questions are,

1) is the above correct?

2) is there any paperwork required to enter Vietnam? The hotel we're staying at has emailed me a form which requires 2 passport size photo's per person but it looks like a visa request form but I thought I could enter visa free,

I'm confused but saying that it doesn't take a lot. Appreciate any info.

It's simple really so I don't understand why you're confused??

I'm not advising Helen to buy a throw away ticket, she specifically asked about one as she will be leaving in May, after the 60 + 30 days. How she achieves this she hasn't said and isn't relevant. That's her future problem, or not as the case may be.

I'm advising that as she is applying for a SETV she produce a ticket that is within the validity of the 60 days to avoid any questioning from the consulate staff. And as the ticket is throw away it is inconsequential.