Fishing And Equipment

macb

Are you new to this sport I am: So hoping we can get ideas and from the experts who have been at it for years:

My first question is anyone doing fishing in the bore holes on there farm? If so which is best bait and is a float better cos I dont know

Well I dont know the Thai names for the fish cos I am new to fishing, have a look at daily diary for Issan theeres a thread there as well .

Iwant to know about bore fishing, I am using float and Alpha bait single hook, I have a multi hook with wire cage for bait but been told not to use this in the bore ???

Any hints you fishing people

I'm a lazy fisherman and use shrimp on a single fairly large hook, a sliding lead weight with no float. Most fish will bite on shrimp. My wife uses the wire spring cage with the commercial bait you buy in a shop and a float. The bait is normally a green or tan colored powder that you put water with to make a putty. That rig has up to six small hooks and is a pain to bait. Small fish are able to strip the bait off quickly. She does catch more fish than I do but I at least have time to relax and drink beer. Yesterday she caught three pla tabtim while I caught only one pla nin but my pla nin weighed 2 and a half kilo. I have also tried squid for bait but had no success.

To use the wire cage, the normal way is to form a ball of the bait around the cage, squeeze it into the cage and mold it as firmly as you can. You then press the sharp little hooks into the molded ball. I always manage to get stuck several times with those sharp little hooks. My wife has more patience than I do. That bait doesn't work well at all with a single hook. It comes off way to easy.

Happy fishing!

Hi MacB, not sure about bore hole fishing as never tried it before but one tip for Gary A if using the bait ball with multiple hooks is to put small polystyrene balls on each hook, also to add to the "putty" is a small amount of scent, typically Jasmine, which can be purchased from any bait shop, normally these shops have many different types of scent and an idea is to experiment as have found that the same species of fish will not go for the same bait all the time dependant on which lake you are fishing.

Another one for the bait ball hooks is the tiny live shrimp which the girls normally eat in their som tam can also work

Cheers

KK boy

Great stuff guys and thanks very much:

I got the bait cage there is a lote of debri on the bore bed and dont want to lose it so am using one hook and a float cuaght three of the silver ones yesterday look a bit like Carp I think, have to learn the Thai words for these fish.

Wednesday I am going with two mates to the New fiishing lake between Huairat and Burriram, see how we get on this week.

Thanks for the info keep it coming

:o

Fishing up-date:

WEll the fish I am catching from the Bore are as follows having done my Thai home-work

Pla Maw Pla Douk Pla Shonn;

Bait wise- pork balls dint work, fish balls dint work, Worm dint work Squid no good but they do like the Omega 3 Bait mix.

I am still using float and 1 Hook, I tried the bait cage with the mutiple hooks but the bore is not deep enough and there is to much debri on the bore basin

Edited by macb

:o

1:34 a.m. and I'm itchin' to go fishin! :D

Hopped on the motorcycle with a backpack this Sunday and found a good spot facing the abandoned towers by the expressway on the Bang Pakong river. Stayed for about an hour, caught nothing but was mostly a day for scouting. I took some roads, going upstream, and spotted a few small rivers, nice area, plenty of birds (not the dancing ones) to look at. :D Next week-end will be more serious. I can't wait to be able to carry the boat on the truck.

Anyone interested in meeting up for a day of fishing in the area is welcome! :D

Edited by Tony Clifton