German man, 31, in ICU following fight with Phuket security guards

webfact

3 hours ago, CLW said:

Let me think, two man celebrating ones birthday, have dinner and drinking for hours.
How much can be wrong on a 2,000 Baht bill?
Did he complain about the 10Baht ice bucket or what?
Seems idiotic to me to make a big scene out of that, always in mind you are not your own country

Well I guess the bill could be twice what is advertised, would that make a difference to you?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ravip said:

At around 1:30am they asked for their bill which there was some dispute over.

“The waiting staff could not understand Mr Rapp because he was drunk so they called the security guards to assist them. While they were discussing the bill Mr Rapp smashed one of the security guards in the face and a fight ensued.

Under the above circumstances, is it a very surprising ending?

No but are the reported circumstances true? And if they are would you think nearly killing the guy that you just over served  would be the proper thing to do?

Well I guess the bill could be twice what is advertised, would that make a difference to you?

So it's always the Thai's fault trying to rip off foreigners.
Is it what you want to say?

It's all speculations, but I guess the prices were written down somewhere.
Also at many places they give you a receipt after each order, so he might have been complaining before he was s... faced drunk.

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

Here we go again! I just wonder if you visit Thailand or live here on a long stay? If you do that you must have a serious problem with distrust and looking upon every Thai person like it was something wrong with them. See the BS in everything and things like that. I just feel sad, because it must be a very complicated life. Not saying that you are wrong this time, or that anybody is wrong. Neither am I blind too what happens here, but having such a lot of complaints all the time over the people in the land you choose to stay or visit can not be good for health and creating a tremendous stress level. Just saying, Dude!

People who say"dude" tend tô be secure, together, live and let live, hey, what the hell, cool. I don't see any of that in your post.

Furthermore, in my experience, people who say "just saying" are NEVER just saying. They are always trying to make a point. So GR what's your point?

45 minutes ago, CLW said:

So it's always the Thai's fault trying to rip off foreigners.
Is it what you want to say?

It's all speculations, but I guess the prices were written down somewhere.
Also at many places they give you a receipt after each order, so he might have been complaining before he was s... faced drunk.

No that is not what I want to say. I give both sides the benefit of the doubt. I have been grossly overcharged in these areas before so yes sometimes it is the Thais fault.  Do you want to say it is always the foreigners fault? 

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

yesterday ate korean food at an upscale bkk mall restaurant. there were just maybe 5 or 6 customers and my waitress was serving on the side i was sitting as the only customer. she took my order and brought the 1 entree ordered for 150 baht. water is given complimentary korean style.

i asked for the check and she brought it to me. it was 340 baht. i asked her again how much. she confidently repeated 340 baht. next i ask her how many plates i ordered and the price of each. after actually looking at the check that had 3 dishes she was able to painfully use the functional neuron to figure out that bill was wrong.

it didn't occur to her even though she was my server and took my order and brought me a single dish that she might have known the price of.   their education system does not teach them how to think. in a similar fashion it might be difficult for so called security guards (low education) to know when to stop fighting or start.

Absolutely fascinating but:

a- this is about Phuket.

b- its about a guy being beaten up, not about a restaurant bill.

Thanks for sharing though.

No that is not what I want to say. I give both sides the benefit of the doubt. I have been grossly overcharged in these areas before so yes sometimes it is the Thais fault.  Do you want to say it is always the foreigners fault? 

Agree, in this case and what you know from the newspaper article, both sides are to blaim.
The foreigner for hitting the security, and the other side for their counter reaction (and possibly cheating the bill)

Many posters on this thread have clearly lost all perspective/been in Thailand too long.

Imagine if this happened in your country (assuming you come from a civilized one). Let's say the German guy was loud, aggressive, obnoxious, completely in the wrong. Fast forward to - now he is in an ICU.  Would this not raise doubts about the behaviour of the "bouncers?"

Years ago in Australia we had bouncers who used to smash misbehaving customers into oblivion. Then there were numerous complaints and a few law suits. So establishments now employ professional well-trained security staff who know how to restrain a troublesome customer with the minimum of force, and the minimum of injury. 

So this is the true role of bouncers/security staff: to restrain drunks with the minimum of injury...not to stomp all over and attempt to kill the SOB.

'“The waiting staff could not understand Mr Rapp because he was drunk so they called the security guards to assist them.' Not because their grasp of non-Thai language was poor, then? But apparently the security guards had a better grasp of English than the waiters/waitresses. Seriously?

'While they were discussing the bill Mr Rapp smashed one of the security guards in the face ...' Uh, huh. Well, no doubt the CCTV will show what happened. Oh, wait, to do that, it would need to have been working at the time, and not interfered with afterwards. Ok, forget that.

5 hours ago, CLW said:

Let me think, two man celebrating ones birthday, have dinner and drinking for hours.
How much can be wrong on a 2,000 Baht bill?
Did he complain about the 10Baht ice bucket or what?
Seems idiotic to me to make a big scene out of that, always in mind you are not your own country

Which do you believe? The staff? The so-called security guards? The media? They are all as likely to have lied as not - or, in the case of the media, have done bugger-all research and gone with exaggeration.

I reckon ludicrous to suggest these security guards should have to do a half day training session on how to deal with disruptive customers. There are several Aikido holds that take perhaps 10 minutes to learn that would quickly subdue anyone without beating daylights out of them if it looked like getting physical. Seems only current qualification now is willingness to gang up and beat people.

Which do you believe? The staff? The so-called security guards? The media? They are all as likely to have lied as not - or, in the case of the media, have done bugger-all research and gone with exaggeration.

I believe the facts from the both newspaper articles.
Nothing more or less.
Surprisingly Mr German obviously didn't say anything to the police, which is more likely he has something to hide

Just now, CLW said:

I believe the facts from the both newspaper articles.
Nothing more or less.
Surprisingly Mr German obviously didn't say anything to the police, which is more likely he has something to hide

Lmao

Sheep. 

3 hours ago, Strange said:

The only people that claim he threw the first punch were the group that put the guy in the hospital. The people that beat the shit out of the guy are the ones claiming that he threw the first punch. 

On what planet is that objective police work or reporting? On what planet is that a credible group of witnesses?

Have you any evidence that his story was wrong ?

3 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

You are all about speculation, better if you pipe down. 

I will continue to say whatever I want and ur just gonna have to deal with it. 

Its mind boggling to me that people would take the word of three 20-something year old thai men that gang beat a tourist and severely hospitalized him. 

They are the absolute last people that should be listened to let alone be the quotes used in the media. 

Besides there were THREE of them and they beat the everliving hell out of the guy. 

I re-read the two news articles, they are already naming the different injuries. So it could be possible that there is something lost in translation. Both injuries are categorised under Traumatic brain injury.
So just hypothetically speaking, he was hit and because of his drunk state, he got unconscious and fell down on his head.
But all speculations, better wait until he can make a statement or the CCTV footage emerges

19 minutes ago, CLW said:

I re-read the two news articles, they are already naming the different injuries. So it could be possible that there is something lost in translation. Both injuries are categorised under Traumatic brain injury.
So just hypothetically speaking, he was hit and because of his drunk state, he got unconscious and fell down on his head.
But all speculations, better wait until he can make a statement or the CCTV footage emerges

Think about what you are saying. Walk it through in your head. 

How, the shit, do you fall down so hard that you give yourself a traumatic brain injury? 

What is far more likely, and completely reported in the news and undisputed even by the media, is that 3 Thai males beat on the poor guy to the point of brain injury because allegedly, as reported by the 3 thai males themselves, he threw the first punch. 

Geez man that sounds like every cop-out I ever heard. 

"I just hit him a little bit!!" "He fell and hit his head!!"" "Its not my fault!!"

So hang on 2 (or 3) Thai men beat 7 bells out of a tourist, who then has to be admitted to ICU with a suspected cerebal blood clot,

& the local MiB release the thugs without any charges brought against them..WHAT??!!

OK, so let's just say the guy did swing a punch at one of the Thais, & let's assume his bill was what they told the police

(This bit of the story could be the kicker..they say 2000B..what if the bill offered was way above that..would not be the 1st time an establishment takes liberties on a drunken tourist)...

...What will the pending European tourists think when they read this?

...What kind of police force would simply believe the bouncers testimony & happily release them while the victim is laying in ICU..?

IMO it's another sad day for tourism here.

1 hour ago, Usual Suspect said:

So hang on 2 (or 3) Thai men beat 7 bells out of a tourist, who then has to be admitted to ICU with a suspected cerebal blood clot,

& the local MiB release the thugs without any charges brought against them..WHAT??!!

OK, so let's just say the guy did swing a punch at one of the Thais, & let's assume his bill was what they told the police

(This bit of the story could be the kicker..they say 2000B..what if the bill offered was way above that..would not be the 1st time an establishment takes liberties on a drunken tourist)...

...What will the pending European tourists think when they read this?

...What kind of police force would simply believe the bouncers testimony & happily release them while the victim is laying in ICU..?

IMO it's another sad day for tourism here.

The most likely reason for a blood clot would be his head hitting the ground.

Just now, Thaiwrath said:

Allegedly, for being obnoxious, yes.

So for being nothing more than obnoxious, he deserves a beatdown, traumatic brain injury, slandered in the news, on TVF, and the 3 Thais get to walk? 

Sorry man, other than you being obnoxious yourself, I don't agree. 

Archived