What's the most hospitable thing a Thai has done for you?

eldragon

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were to do a word association game with the word "Thai", hospitality would not  be anywhere on the list. Some of the things that would be are:

Plastic

Family-oriented, despise Mother Nature

Ignorant

Materialistic

Deferential to authority

Sexy (ladies-ladyboys)

Opportunistic

Honest (with strangers)

I could continue in this vein for some time without  hitting on the word "hospitable"

If I were to do a word association game with the word "Thai", hospitality would not  be anywhere on the list. Some of the things that would be are:
Plastic
Ignorant
Materialistic
Deferential to authority
Sexy (ladies-ladyboys)
Opportunistic
Honest (with strangers)

I could continue in this vein for some time without  hitting on the word "hospitable"

Please carry on!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

The first time I visited my wife's home town (Surin) some family members were horrified that we had booked into a hotel and they offered to let us stay with them.

Very diplomatically, my wife explained that I needed my AC and hot showers - so we politely declined.

An aunt, who was headmistress of a local village school, insisted that we should use her car (Isuzu pick-up) for the whole time we were there, which was very generous and must have been some inconvenience to her.

My abiding memory of that visit was that whenever we went near to the village all the youngsters we passed would give us a deep and courteous wai - recognising the headmistresses car, but not noticing the Farang driver.  

The Chinese/Thai merchant that runs the hardware store in my wife's home town in Buriram (Lahan Sai) gave my son a crisp $100 bill when they found out it was his birthday during a visit several years ago.  

When I first moved to my wife's village we employed a Cambodian (with a Thai id card) who had been in the Khmer rouge, was very poor living in a wood shack with a mud floor. After a year of working for us he had saved enough money to build a better home and buy a old motor cycle.

To this day whenever he see's me he will bring me a can of beer. It has always touched me that one of the poorest people in the village and a man who must have been through so much in his life, is so kind to me.

10 hours ago, Seligne2 said:

Plastic

Ignorant

Materialistic

Deferential to authority

Sexy (ladies-ladyboys)

Opportunistic

Honest (with strangers)

I take it you don't like Thailand then. :biggrin:

Every night I visit my local watering hope, they lay on a spread of good food. Just this evening, I turned up with my wife and daughter, we had two bottles of beer at 60B a bottle and we were offered fish, soup and ice cream. They genuinely want nothing in return, just good, generous people, day in, day out.

Of course, we return the hospitality in other ways, but I don't think they would worry if we didn't.

On 20/12/2016 at 9:57 PM, Seligne2 said:

Plastic

Ignorant

Materialistic

Deferential to authority

Sexy (ladies-ladyboys)

Opportunistic

Honest (with strangers)

You don't seem to keep very good company, which reflects as poorly on you as it does the people you describe.

On 12/20/2016 at 9:57 PM, Seligne2 said:

Plastic

Ignorant

Materialistic

Deferential to authority

Sexy (ladies-ladyboys)

Opportunistic

Honest (with strangers)

You've either had a really bad stay in this country or you're just ignorant to the way these people really are. I seriously think if I walked into the average home in Thailand and said "Hey, I'm really tired and weary and just need some food and drink and a few hours of sleep" most of em would help me out. The hi-sos probably wouldn't.

17 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

It's a 3rd year I'm living free in my wife's house. Never asked me a penny, even for the electric. I'd say that's pretty damn hospitable.

I hope you are not taking too much advantage of that and paying your way.

Archived