BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eldragon

What's the most hospitable thing a Thai has done for you?

On December 21, 2559 BE at 9:51 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

It's a 3rd year I'm living free in my wife's house. Never asked me a penny, even for the electric. I'd say that's pretty damn hospitable.

Yo - Charlie from another planet - Are you proud of this? 

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 1:21 PM, baneko said:

Taken care of my wallet!

Installed my alarm system then 6 weeks later come back at 1am and burgle me

On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 9:51 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

It's a 3rd year I'm living free in my wife's house. Never asked me a penny, even for the electric. I'd say that's pretty damn hospitable.

You Sounds more like a spunger

Not one of the most hospitable as I receive many. Today I received a new divan bed from my Thai sister in law, a Christmas present. From another sister in law, a new oven. I am very fortunate to have a loving family here.

True storey.Drove my car its pitch black and in middle of the night on a deserted road somewhere in between chumpon and Pangha on my way to Phuket and got an exploded tyre.not a nice location and time to have car trouble.i kept driving just with 3 km an hour till I finally saw a tiny house with a small light on.i parked my car infront and thais popped up investigating the problem then they got flashlights tools etc and within 30 minutes they replace my wheel.they did all the work and when they finished i asked how much i pay them?their reply o no its okay Mr..Then inside my car all my valuables bags wallets are all inside?.I insisted to gave something for their hard work  or i would not leave.finally they accepted 500 bht and my sincere gratitude forever.

On 12/20/2016 at 9:57 PM, Seligne2 said:

If I were to do a word association game with the word "Thai", hospitality would not  be anywhere on the list. Some of the things that would be are:

Plastic

Family-oriented, despise Mother Nature

Ignorant

Materialistic

Deferential to authority

Sexy (ladies-ladyboys)

Opportunistic

Honest (with strangers)

I could continue in this vein for some time without  hitting on the word "hospitable"

Get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?

On 20/12/2016 at 9:57 PM, Seligne2 said:

If I were to do a word association game with the word "Thai", hospitality would not  be anywhere on the list. Some of the things that would be are:

Plastic

Family-oriented, despise Mother Nature

Ignorant

Materialistic

Deferential to authority

Sexy (ladies-ladyboys)

Opportunistic

Honest (with strangers)

I could continue in this vein for some time without  hitting on the word "hospitable"

I feel sorry for you. 

Good luck. You sound like you need it. 

IMGP0407.JPGOur next door neighbours are the kindest folk I know.  After our house was built we decided to extend the rear of the house so my TW could have an outdoor kitchen , Dee from next door did the floor tiling and he did it free .  He also climbed up a tree nearby about 3 years ago to rescue our cat that must of been chased there by a dog.  When our water pump stopped pumping he found the cable was broken after digging it up from the side of the soi.   All he asked about 6 years ago , would I teach his eldest daughter English.  That was too easy. Look at the pic. smashing kids.

Oh tomorrow they are all coming round for Xmas dinner .  Closest family I have got here.

Due to the language barrier, when I asked for directions at the Korat bus station, I was instructed to get on Bus A to get to Town A in Issan. 2 hours later there was a change of bus in another (unknown) town, An hour later I had arrived in Town A. It turned out after much circling the drain that this was a different Town A. It also had no hotels or guest houses and now it is evening with no night time bus either. A Thai family put me up and fed me and the next morning. took me back 1 hour to the bus stop that would get me back to Korat where I could start over to find my way to the other Town A. They would accept nothing from me except my thank you.

Three things spring to mind - although kind, rather than hospitable.

1)  The explosion of New Year fireworks terrified one of my dogs enough to squeeze through the grille across the patio doors and RUN.  Five/ten minutes later I received a 'phone call from the 24 hour Lucky 13 'restaurant' staff who had caught/found her.  Fortunately she had a name tag with my 'phone no. on it.

2) A tree fell across the small soi where I live, and so coming back on my scooter I tried to navigate the 'wild'/overgrown area back to my house.  Unsuprisingly, my scooter hit a hole and overturned - leaving me shocked and pinned underneath, worried about all the snakes/centipedes etc. :lol:.  As I was gradually getting myself out from under the scooter, a Thai guy on a samlor (who was navigating a better route around the fallen tree) noticed my predicament and came to help me.  He then (in bare feet!) pushed my scooter through the 'wild' area, and back to my house - and was shocked when I tried to give him money for his much appreciated/needed help.

3) Shortly after retiring here (before I had any transportation other than my feet), I went to a local shop to buy a 'phone card SIM/minutes or whatever (too long ago to remember the details).  The shop didn't have what I needed, but the lady insisted that she give me a lift to another shop that was able to provide what I needed.  And before the cynics chime in, she didn't come into the shop with me to receive 'commission', but waited outside and then gave me a lift back home.

Wow great post. Sadly I am really struggling to think of an occurance. Will reflect on this tonight. Had a very friendly girl jump on my bike once when I was was buying some fruit and she was very hospitable later but short of that I can't find many other occurances. 

The care takers of my first 2 houses here were especially kind and always treated me like family. Bad news is the were Burmese not Thai. The landlords treated me and them like crap.

UNFORGETTABLE THAI FRIENDS

3 close Thai friends contributed a  combined 70,000 Bht towards my COURT BAIL at very short notice,  when my Farang friends just laughed.  This got me out of a very dangerous situation.

It takes a while to find out who your friends are, but true Thai friends are very loyal, and very generous!