What's the most hospitable thing a Thai has done for you?

eldragon

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Of course, replies like this are to be expected.

The topic of the thread is what is the most hospitable thing a Thai person has done for you.

I have provided the appropriate reply.

Unlike every single gf that moved to my place in Canada, a Thai woman offered me a place to live one week after we met and two years before we got married. I know this rubs some people the wrong way.... especially the ones being taken advantage of, but I am pretty proud to say that my gf of 2 years and my wife of almost a year never asked me for a single baht.... not even for the wedding. 

So, to summarize.

Yes, I am proud of this.

Yes, I do have high standards.

No, I am not a "spunger" or was that supposed to be a sponger as I do have my own healthy income. ...

... and yes, I am a keeper and so is she.

If you are not a tattooed sex tourist, I can hook you up with some of her friends from work. All beautiful mid 30's women working for an international company. Let me know..... plenty of women like this around and no need for jealous posts.

Kind Regards,

theguyfromanotherforum

Jealous, sorry - not a chance. I have a lovely wife and I have been fortunate. Yes, she stood by me in rough times as well as good, 15 years now. I just feel sorry for your wife. 

What is curious is that you seem to so often brag about taking advantage of her good nature. I have never really met anyone who is proud of being stingy with his partner, other than sharing your rewards points for a night in the Hilton. You claim to be doing so well, and that is great, I am happy for you, but to not share your good fortune with your partner, well, it strikes me as sort of mean spirited. 

And you have blamed your attitude on some older guy once telling you that you will pay for it in one way or another... who cares what some idiot said? It is sort of a jerky perspective and it sounds to me that you use this as an excuse to be a real cheapskate. The mean people here always have excuses as to why they are cheap... 

And in the spirit of Christmas, I hope some day you learn to enjoy giving and sharing. It sounds like you have chosen a nice lady to share with and that is part of being married, to have someone to share the good fortune you have earned... good luck to you...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, kenk24 said:

There are always small incidents of kindness... This one stands out from a few months ago. 

I was buying fruit at a roadside vendor and a samlor pulled up with a very dusty older lady inside. She asked about the cantaloupe and for 20 baht, it was too expensive for her and she declined. So, I bought the cantaloupe for her. 

The samlor driver, who was surely quite poor as well, looked at me with so much gratitude. He told me that if he ever saw me walking anywhere in town, he would take me wherever I wanted to go for free. 

I think in Thailand, as maybe near everyplace, if you act kindly, kindness comes back to you. 

Yes if the seed of kindness has been planted and nurtured properly from the beginning it will keep on giving. You will commonly see this more from the poorer people than the rich selfish ones. 

3 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

The topic of the thread is what is the most hospitable thing a Thai person has done for you.

Unlike every single gf that moved to my place in Canada, a Thai woman offered me a place to live one week after we met and two years before we got married. I know this rubs some people the wrong way.... especially the ones being taken advantage of, but I am pretty proud to say that my gf of 2 years and my wife of almost a year never asked me for a single baht.... not even for the wedding. 

So, to summarize.

Yes, I am proud of this.

No, I am not a "spunger" or was that supposed to be a sponger as I do have my own healthy income. ...

If you are not a tattooed sex tourist, I can hook you up with some of her friends from work. All beautiful mid 30's women working for an international company. Let me know..... plenty of women like this around and no need for jealous posts.

Kind Regards,

theguyfromanotherforum

You see jealousy where their is none. You post in a certain manner as to welcome such comments. Some would call it trolling, but aren't all comments given with the purpose of getting others to react.

I find your comments humorous, keep up the good work.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 9:57 PM, Seligne2 said:

If I were to do a word association game with the word "Thai", hospitality would not  be anywhere on the list. Some of the things that would be are:

Plastic

Family-oriented, despise Mother Nature

Ignorant

Materialistic

Deferential to authority

Sexy (ladies-ladyboys)

Opportunistic

Honest (with strangers)

I could continue in this vein for some time without  hitting on the word "hospitable"

What're you doing here?

Pack up and go home to your very hospitable own country.:sick:

The Thais have been always friendly and hospitable to me.

Always ready to give a helping hand.

More than once stopping on the road while I was standing there with a car refusing to start and trying to help me or getting help for me.

Couple times with a flat and total strangers changing the tyre for me.

Had a tuk-tuk driver stopping and trying to help me with a stalled car.

Helpful in other things too without me asking.:post-4641-1156694572:

1 hour ago, quandow said:

Not a damned thing.

Oh Dear , or are you trying to provoke reaction

Obviously you are a very sad man

Maybe you need to look in the mirror

However it is the season of goodwill, I will pray for you

Happy Christmas

18 hours ago, madusa said:

I don't understand this photo here, only thing I know is it could be bondage sex games I guess. Are thais  into this as well? Oh, they have come a long way then.

I gather you realize it's just my bit of humour in relation to the post.

It could refer to many Thai types that give help. :biggrin:

15 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

So, to summarize.

Yes, I am proud of this.

Kind Regards,

theguyfromanotherforum

point taken and fare play maybe she is different, but early days, time will tell.

2 hours ago, al007 said:

Happy Christmas

You don't know me. I was posting an honest reply. They've done nothing for me that didn't have a price tag on it. Pray for your own ignorance.

29 minutes ago, quandow said:

You don't know me. I was posting an honest reply. They've done nothing for me that didn't have a price tag on it. Pray for your own ignorance.

Then you've been unlucky.

I agree that many are interested in the 'price tag', but many are not - as per the examples shown on this thread.

20 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

About 4 years ago on one of my monthly bike road trips to no where in particular, I got caught in the mountains, the sun going quickly, and a pouring rain.  Pulled off to the side of the road and took shelter under a large tree.  About 5 minutes later a man appeared, seemingly out of no where, and motioned for me to move my bike under a lean to attached to his 2 room house.  Him, his wife, and 3 kids.  Using the translator on my phone, I let them know I was heading for Nong Khai, coming from Chiang Mai, just for fun, which made no sense to them.  

They brought food and we all sat on the floor to eat.  Afterwards the man brought a pad, blanket and pillow for me, indicating that I should sleep there.  To me, these people were the epitome of "nice".  Everyone went to bed.  I woke up around 6.  The old man was already up, so we shared coffee and cigarettes.  When I got ready to leave I offered them 1,000 baht note, which they strenuously declined.  Ok.  The kids watched me strap my kit on, reaching out to touch the leg protectors, and checking everything else out.  Before straddling the bike, I handed the oldest daughter (maybe 12 ) a folded up 500 baht note.  Her smile lit up the whole mountainside.  As I drove away, I felt as if I had just experienced something special and unique.  

Were you riding a mountain bike? Were you prepared to stay out in the wild with a tent and camping supplies? Just curious.

3 hours ago, quandow said:

5 hours ago,  al007 said: 

Happy Christmas

Please accept my apologies if I offended you, it must be very difficult for you living here with feelings like that

There are many places in the world where you can find love and compassion

Maybe the time has come to move on

In any case I wish you well and hope you can find peace and contentment, I could not live in a place where I felt like you do

some years ago I found myself in the market area late one night, it was dark and everything shut, I had gone down to the nearest 7 - 11 to get some smokes and took a different route home...just walking along and minding my own business...and then a motorbike came up and stopped and it was a neighbor who silently gestured for me to get on...

the neighborhood was only a few blocks away and he stopped and I got off and said kap khun kap and he just grunted...

later I discovered that the market area late at night is a dangerous place for thais, alot more so for a middle aged falang that was minding his own business...

Have had many good things happen to me here over the years, last week for instance I took my laptop which had a black screen of death to a place at future park in Rangsit as I needed to save the files and pictures on it, he sorted it out within around 20-30 minutes and it was alive again, I asked him how much and he said nothing I insisted on giving him a couple of hundred baht for his time. Another one also last week I was in a taxi from the middle of town coming back to north Bangkok and we were chatting about football in my limited thai, we were or rather probably I was talking quite a bit that we missed my soi and when I realised he turned the meter off turned around and drove me back and then tried to charge me less than what was on the meter when he had turned it off, I wasn't having any of it and he got a decent tip as well.

It really comes down to the way you are with people and i'm always happy to help other people if I can, you get back what you put in and sometimes a lot more.

Just a little thing but it has had a profound impact on the way I view the poorer Thai people.

I was up at the local hospital sitting in my wheelchair in a bit of a daze and my step-son had disappeared somewhere or other.The little old lady sitting opposite went and bought me some cakes and bottled water and then she and her weather beaten  family watched me  eat and drink with what appeared to be great satisfaction and then politely declined any money for what was,after all, an unsolicited gift.

Lots of small things, in no particular order these come to mind:

- sleeping at the house of friends and being taxied around and taken out for dinner and making a big fuss when you want to pay the bill. Too much hospitality.

- lending their car and again refusing any compensation (which you ofcourse do anyway).

- taking a motorcycle taxi, losing your cap, tell the driver at the end destination and him refusing to take the money for the ride due to a mistake that I made with my cap).

- various other forms of being invited, asked to tag along etc. etc.  Simply being accepted as a friend or family member and being welcomed like an overly welcome guest. Ofcourse making an other person happy is the biggest reward that one can get but one doesn't want to be a burden to an other since smiles don't pay bills. Sadly most of them will never come to Europe but if they would they know they'd be just as welcome at my place and I'd return their hospitality just as much. 

Acts of kindness really go a long way and I try my best to be kind aswell to any people that I meet. The world is full of sh*t so small acts that make people smile really are worth it. But giving is easier than receiving. 

Donutz:"Acts of kindness really go a long way..."

They most certainly do!

On the bad days-the "Is the glass half empty or half full?" ones-these acts ,either given or received,help you make it through the bad patches.

On the whole, I give the Thai people far better grades in this respect then my own countrymen.

Oh, I don't know. One has to wonder what the real motives were. OK, I was totally destroyed - no money, no phone, nothing - and a Thai guy let me stay in his place.  Like I was sitting on the side of the street and he came up to me and took pity. Took me to his room, turned the fan on me, took me to the bank the next day. What the hell was that all about. Must admit I've done the same myself though, with a homeless guy in Brighton, my girlfriend at the time wasn't too impressed. I suppose what goes around comes around.

Archived