BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eldragon

What's the most hospitable thing a Thai has done for you?

More than once we have gone to dinner with Tgf family or friends and they insisted on paying for it. Quite refreshing.

3 hours ago, quandow said:

You don't know me. I was posting an honest reply. They've done nothing for me that didn't have a price tag on it. Pray for your own ignorance.

5 hours ago,  al007 said: 

Oh Dear , or are you trying to provoke reaction

Obviously you are a very sad man

Maybe you need to look in the mirror

However it is the season of goodwill, I will pray for you

Happy Christmas

Please accept my apologies if I offended you, it must be very difficult for you living here with feelings like that

There are many places in the world where you can find love and compassion

Maybe the time has come to move on

In any case I wish you well and hope you can find peace and contentment, I could not live in a place where I felt like you do

some years ago I found myself in the market area late one night, it was dark and everything shut, I had gone down to the nearest 7 - 11 to get some smokes and took a different route home...just walking along and minding my own business...and then a motorbike came up and stopped and it was a neighbor who silently gestured for me to get on...

the neighborhood was only a few blocks away and he stopped and I got off and said kap khun kap and he just grunted...

later I discovered that the market area late at night is a dangerous place for thais, alot more so for a middle aged falang that was minding his own business...

Most Thais ignore me completely and I love it. 

No money, totally wiped - Thai guy collected me off the street and let me stay at his place. Still not sure if he was hoping for a screw. Whatever, it all turned out hunky-dory.

Have had many good things happen to me here over the years, last week for instance I took my laptop which had a black screen of death to a place at future park in Rangsit as I needed to save the files and pictures on it, he sorted it out within around 20-30 minutes and it was alive again, I asked him how much and he said nothing I insisted on giving him a couple of hundred baht for his time. Another one also last week I was in a taxi from the middle of town coming back to north Bangkok and we were chatting about football in my limited thai, we were or rather probably I was talking quite a bit that we missed my soi and when I realised he turned the meter off turned around and drove me back and then tried to charge me less than what was on the meter when he had turned it off, I wasn't having any of it and he got a decent tip as well.

It really comes down to the way you are with people and i'm always happy to help other people if I can, you get back what you put in and sometimes a lot more.

Me and the wife got bogged pretty deep in the Vios last year.

A thai postman came over got in the mud and eventually we got the car out. We were all covered in mud and i lost a slipper to the mud. 

Top guy.

Just a little thing but it has had a profound impact on the way I view the poorer Thai people.

I was up at the local hospital sitting in my wheelchair in a bit of a daze and my step-son had disappeared somewhere or other.The little old lady sitting opposite went and bought me some cakes and bottled water and then she and her weather beaten  family watched me  eat and drink with what appeared to be great satisfaction and then politely declined any money for what was,after all, an unsolicited gift.

Lots of small things, in no particular order these come to mind:

- sleeping at the house of friends and being taxied around and taken out for dinner and making a big fuss when you want to pay the bill. Too much hospitality.

- lending their car and again refusing any compensation (which you ofcourse do anyway).

- taking a motorcycle taxi, losing your cap, tell the driver at the end destination and him refusing to take the money for the ride due to a mistake that I made with my cap).

- various other forms of being invited, asked to tag along etc. etc.  Simply being accepted as a friend or family member and being welcomed like an overly welcome guest. Ofcourse making an other person happy is the biggest reward that one can get but one doesn't want to be a burden to an other since smiles don't pay bills. Sadly most of them will never come to Europe but if they would they know they'd be just as welcome at my place and I'd return their hospitality just as much. 

Acts of kindness really go a long way and I try my best to be kind aswell to any people that I meet. The world is full of sh*t so small acts that make people smile really are worth it. But giving is easier than receiving. 

Donutz:"Acts of kindness really go a long way..."

They most certainly do!

On the bad days-the "Is the glass half empty or half full?" ones-these acts ,either given or received,help you make it through the bad patches.

On the whole, I give the Thai people far better grades in this respect then my own countrymen.

Oh, I don't know. One has to wonder what the real motives were. OK, I was totally destroyed - no money, no phone, nothing - and a Thai guy let me stay in his place.  Like I was sitting on the side of the street and he came up to me and took pity. Took me to his room, turned the fan on me, took me to the bank the next day. What the hell was that all about. Must admit I've done the same myself though, with a homeless guy in Brighton, my girlfriend at the time wasn't too impressed. I suppose what goes around comes around.