Can I Reverse the Rotation of Hatari Ceiling Mounted Fans

jamie2009

I have several Hatari Fans similar to the floor standing ones only mounted on the Ceiling, they also rotate on a spindle.

from what I know they should rotate anti clockwise for cooling but they rotate clockwise.

is there any way to change the direction of them, the controllers have speed settings, 2 x 3 speed settings but they don't alter the rotation, any one help ?

Edited by jamie2009

5 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

You want them to suck air up?

you're having a laugh right?

The recommendation is clockwise when cold and anti clockwise when hot.

http://greenlivingideas.com/2015/06/26/how-and-why-to-change-the-direction-of-your-ceiling-fans-in-summer-and-winter/

not the same time of fan though.

Edited by jamie2009

18 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

The recommendation is clockwise when cold and anti clockwise when hot.

http://greenlivingideas.com/2015/06/26/how-and-why-to-change-the-direction-of-your-ceiling-fans-in-summer-and-winter/

not the same time of fan though.

Flipping directions doesn't apply in this country where the only purpose of a fan is to blow air toward the front, i.e., down in case of a ceiling fan. If you read the article you linked you see that reversal is to suck heavy cold air up. Well, in this country when it's cold you switch fans off. Period.

Now, to see if your ceiling fan is turning the right direction here's what you do: pour the rest of the beer down the sink, take your clothes off and stand under the fan. Do you feel a breeze? Great, you are all set. Jump into bed. The heavy feeling in your head will be gone by morning.

Edited by The Dancer

4 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Just read the OP again. I have a couple of those Hatari fans, ceiling mounted, outside the house. Yes, they should be rotating anti-clockwise, blowing air downwards. Just wondering whether reversing the Live and Neutral cables would correct the problem.

No, that wouldn't work. 

Funny post.....the theory is by reversing the fan you suck air up recircularting hot air down thats not what you want to be doing in Thailand unless you have open vents in your ceiling to push it out and still i wouldn't do it....

20 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Funny post.....the theory is by reversing the fan you suck air up recircularting hot air down thats not what you want to be doing in Thailand unless you have open vents in your ceiling to push it out and still i wouldn't do it....

How hard can it be to understand. He want to change the rotation of the whole fan structure. Not the rotating blade. You know! Like ceiling fans usually works.

To OP: Just look around and find fans that have that functions. There are some brands on the market, but I don´t remember the names. It´s going to be a lot easier and safer for you. Changing something in a fan here would not be a wise idea if you look at the normal safety regarding electric and electrical equipment.

Edited by Get Real

All our Hatari fans blow when rotating clockwise (looking from the front), this is not easy to change.

To cool effectively you need the air flowing towards you.

Many (but not all) of the big ceiling fans do have a reverse switch, but it's not of a great deal of use in tropical climes.

My ceiling fans have a direction switch on the casing. I have both of mine set to "suck" upwards and I put them on the lowest speed setting. Why? Because I dont like sitting in a draught. I use them in conjunction with air-con and I just want a very smooth and gentle movement of cool air throughout the whole room without blasts of wind.

I  also hate it when I visit open-air restaurants and the (well-meaning) staff immediately train several high-powered fans onto me. Oscillating fans are even more annoying as they either leave me too hot or make me look like Donald Trump, or both.

Propellers and fan blades are chiral, so depending on the handedness of the blade, clockwise spinning could either suck or blow air. Are they really sucking air up rather than blowing it down?  If so and you can't find a switch to reverse their direction, you could try taking off the blade and replacing the blade but facing the other way around ie reversed 180 degrees.