BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Phuket visa run van wipeout: 3 dead, 7 injured

My condolences to the families of those who lost there lives,  and we could say thank you to the immigration to impose this sort of visa.

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Its not just Phuket, the whole of Thailand is the same...
I reckon less than half the accidents make any form of news story, so the true carnage is much greater than we ever see in the media (Thai or English)

Where I live, on a long straight road with no obstacles, nothing, there have been 10 accidents, some fatal, in the last two years within 300 metres of my house in Kalasin Province. Only one, in which a lorry plowed into the back of a pickup waiting to make a right turn and killed two people, made the news. So yes, I agree with you. Another time a motorcyclist was too lazy or stupid to look behind before turning right and was hit by a van coming up behind = one dead, one with a leg amputated. Another time a car ended up sailing through the upper reaches of a tree opposite my house. How do they do that? Thai drivers are able to defy the laws of physics, somehow.

1 hour ago, Phuketboy said:

Still amazes me why anyone takes these visa run buses when it is so easy and much safer to fly out to do visa run.  RIP to the unlucky souls who lost their lives.  

This type of visa run is so much cheaper than flying and DIY ... that's why they stay in business.

Visa Run isn't a good idea,just a Money Tree..never saw what Thailand apart from the Min Buses gained by it. I used to fly out,spend money in a neighboring country,blow a load of cash there n come back pissed off at the stupidity of the jouney

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, IamNoone88 said:

It will never end. Each day and every day, the mini-van drivers cause fatal accidents. No where else in the world does this happen. Well done again.

I take it you have never been to Central or South America?  Imagine an old recycled US 'School Bus' taking corners so fast you are literally stuck to the wall - there no guard-rail on the road, and you have a 100Meter+ cliff out the window.  I've seen people lay down so they don't see what is out the window.  Over the drivers head is written in Spanish, "God bless this bus."

4 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Visa Run isn't a good idea,just a Money Tree..never saw what Thailand apart from the Min Buses gained by it. I used to fly out,spend money in a neighboring country,blow a load of cash there n come back pissed off at the stupidity of the jouney

So so many previous topics here on Thaivisa suggesting that Thai government via Immigration just charge a fixed fee to renew shorter term visas ... Makes so much sense but hey TIT ...

44 minutes ago, tropo said:

I'm glad my visa run days are over after having endured many scary visa run trips to the Cambodian border.

One of the good things about turning 50! LOL

I've lived here now for ten years. During my first month, I took a minibus back from Koh Chang. I reckon I was lucky to make it back to Pattaya alive and promised 

myself then that I'd never use one again. So far I've kept that promise.

A lot of these vans are converted commercial vehicles with bugger all impact protection except for the driver.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

What's the use of going over the border and coming back an hour later? Why not make it possible to pay at the immigration to get that stamp?

This is Thailand, they don't have the mindset to do anything that makes sense like your post, and now and probably not for the first time their love of inconveniencing people has had bitter consequences. 

3 hours ago, sebastion said:

I'm Sorry to say that I'm not surprised or even shocked.
This is inevitable and will happen again.
Visa runs is a blight on the immigration system. A corrupt avenue for cash.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Good post, your last sentence especially.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is a bit too early to tell who was at fault. Could have been a faulty vehicle, an animal on the road, a sleepy driver, a reckless driver, bad weather, or lack of driving skill. But, we do know two parties who are definitely at fault. Little P, and the immigration department. They know how dangerous these roads are. They know a small number of people doing visa runs will die, or be badly injured. These visa runs are an antiquated policy, in drastic need of revision. I presume they were originally designed as a way to stimulate the economy, as much revenue would go to the mini van operators, the airlines, hotels, etc. One could even be as cynical as to say that these visa runs would help support the hospitals too. But, the time has come to revise this policy, and eliminate these dangerous, environmentally disastrous, and completely unnecessary visa runs. This service should be available IN COUNTRY. Period. Anything else is irresponsible, and contributes to the mayhem. So what about the minivan operators who thrive on this? Let them get into something else, or use their vans for more productive use. 

For now, the fault of these deaths rest squarely on an administration which is completely lacking any creative juice, and most definitely lacking the desire to make life easier for tourists and ex-pats. 

The Thaivisa post of the month here.

1 hour ago, Phuketboy said:

Still amazes me why anyone takes these visa run buses when it is so easy and much safer to fly out to do visa run.  RIP to the unlucky souls who lost their lives.  

"it is so easy and much safer to fly out to do visa run".

Great idea, now how can I fly from Phichit to Maesot? I can't, but I can get a bus south to Bangkok then a plane from Bangkok to Maesot, same back again.

It is so easy, isn't it? Not to mention the expense.

I took this company for my first and last package visa run. After that I just  arranged on my own. Typical careless minivan driving style was the top reason why. Others being quality of food/accommodation in Penang and half a day in a minivan one way...