Phuket visa run van wipeout: 3 dead, 7 injured

webfact

3 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Turns out he was fined B140,000 more than B1,000. 

Some of the usual, unoriginal and tedious suspects will now have to change their mantra from "B500 fine and a slap on the wrist?"  to "B150,000 fine and a slap on the wrist?"

Did anyone hear of a case going to court so quickly ? Anyone hear of a huge fine being imposed on a driver ?

Meanwhile the victims in hospital have no contact or reassurance from the visa company that their escalating medical bills will be covered.

This stinks. Pure PR.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/21/2016 at 11:37 AM, steve187 said:

lost control on a bend in the wet, so not his fault. - how was he to know vehicles slide in the wet on bends

That stretch of road is straight with gradual bends.  Like the main road to the airport here in Phuket.

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

You're a little confused as to how tourist visas work.

Visas generally have an authorised stay period, and a validity date before which the tourist must enter. Visas could be for a single or multiple entries. On each entry the visitor will be granted a stay of the authorised period. The long validity date and multiple entries are usually issued for the convenience of visitors who have a genuine reason to enter often. Tourist visas anywhere are not meant to be defacto residence visas.

After several consecutive entries, many countries may decide you are not a genuine tourist and refuse entry. Thailand is extremely generous to visitors who use a tourist visa to effectively reside here. If you're one of these you should be thankful Thailand allows you to do so.

If you want a continuous long stay visa they are available at a price.

2 hours ago, madusa said:

Yes, what you said is true, but finally when my visa runs out I still have to go to France and then return with to get stamp again.

Of course the British immigration doesn't do stupid thing like asking you to do what is unnecessary like in Thailand. Nevertheless when your visa runs out you still have to go out of the country don't you?

"Of course the British immigration doesn't do stupid thing like asking you to do what is unnecessary like in Thailand"

Hallelujah!

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

You're a little confused as to how tourist visas work.

Visas generally have an authorised stay period, and a validity date before which the tourist must enter. Visas could be for a single or multiple entries. On each entry the visitor will be granted a stay of the authorised period. The long validity date and multiple entries are usually issued for the convenience of visitors who have a genuine reason to enter often. Tourist visas anywhere are not meant to be defacto residence visas.

After several consecutive entries, many countries may decide you are not a genuine tourist and refuse entry. Thailand is extremely generous to visitors who use a tourist visa to effectively reside here. If you're one of these you should be thankful Thailand allows you to do so.

If you want a continuous long stay visa they are available at a price.

Lord give me strength!!!

5 hours ago, Soupdragon said:

Did anyone hear of a case going to court so quickly ? Anyone hear of a huge fine being imposed on a driver ?

Meanwhile the victims in hospital have no contact or reassurance from the visa company that their escalating medical bills will be covered.

This stinks. Pure PR.

It was a police imposed fine, not a court's.   It has been reported that the passengers are all covered by the company's insurance.  Nothing stinks.

On 12/21/2016 at 0:44 PM, Wanderer555 said:

While true, I think it is more important to understand that if the 'House' had not been built on that particular corner, this sad event may never of happened...The house is clearly at fault here!

My condolences to the families of those who lost there lives, and a speedy recovery to those who were injured

never 'HAVE' happened......

Terrible yet more carnage

Tachometers should be mandatory in all vehicles carrying passengers

Where deaths occur there should be a high fine on both the owner and driver for first offense

The vehicle should be confiscated, let the police keep the proceeds, this will ensure better enforcement

On second offense both owner and driver 10 years in jail

Harsh yes but this problem has to be tackled,

Those selling drugs are jailed,

Those murdering people on the roads should be treated similarly 

When driving long distance what are the most aggressive in the rear mirror mini van drivers, this tells us a lot

19 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Turns out he was fined B140,000 more than B1,000. 

Some of the usual, unoriginal and tedious suspects will now have to change their mantra from "B500 fine and a slap on the wrist?"  to "B150,000 fine and a slap on the wrist?"

Let's wait untill he appeals the amount and see if it is paid

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, it can not. At the moment he was fined he had to choice to either accept or let it go to court.

Doesn't he have the option to plea "not guilty" to the fine and go to Court? 

In this case, not that he would, because he is getting off very easy,  but I was under the belief  that the option exists?

On 23/12/2016 at 2:03 PM, whatproblem said:

Let's wait untill he appeals the amount and see if it is paid

23 hours ago, stevenl said:

No, it can not. At the moment he was fined he had to choice to either accept or let it go to court.

My point exactly, but it has been paid already apparently.

• 5 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, steve187 said:

sarcasm 

Sarcasm is fine when it's the spoken word, but often missed when written.

I think he may not have confessed when you posted though, which was soon after the event.  I should have checked the date of the crash versus your post.  My fault.

5 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Sarcasm is fine when it's the spoken word, but often missed when written.

I think he may not have confessed when you posted though, which was soon after the event.  I should have checked the date of the crash versus your post.  My fault.

sorry my fault, not making the post clearer, I was just trying to say that the average Thai driver will blame anything other than his bad driving.

A bit like British rail instead of taking the blame for lack of planning, they blamed  ''the wrong type of snow'' back in 1991

Archived