safety in chiang mai bars

montypython

hi guys

i just registered today but ive been reading the forum for the past week im going to thailand for my first time in january for 4 weeks ive read some disturbing reports on various sites about farlangs being savagely beaten in zoe in yellow. most claiming it was no fault of there's does zoe in yellow deserve the bad press and is there other bar to avoid?

i certainly wont be going into zoe in yellow after reading up on it    

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trashpackers have been successful at transforming about 1/4 of the most area into Koa San Road, and making it resemble anything but the rest of Thailand.  I doubt the people mixing the bucket drinks even know what is in them.  I walked by there one night after cloising, and expected to see a party that had spilled onto the streets as reported.  Hardly...just a group's of 8 farang guys without a girl or a clue.  Thug, roidhead bouncers often comp!iment roidhead amateur bucket drinkers.  "F."

27 minutes ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Don't get put off and  certainly don't worry too much about hyped, exaggerated reports. There are many other bars to try in and around Chiang Mai old town and around the moat, with live music etc. Come to Thailand, relax and have a good time.

Regards,

Joe

cheers joe

am i right to avoid zoe? do these assults happen in other bars?

im not going to let it ruin my holiday but ill be more aware an avoid bars around the red light area

Just now, cyberfarang said:

If you`re coming to Chiang Mai just for the bars, then I would say don`t bother. The scene is much better in Bangkok and Pattaya.

im coming for day time excursions, treks, animal sanctuarys and cooking classes but would also like to have a few beers at night time (not gogo bars, regular bars )

Tip: if you're going to drink in bars, pay for you drinks as you get them, do not run a tab (or bin as it's called here) that way there can be no misunderstanding about who has to pay how much and when, the most common cause of problems in Thai bars. If you do that, plus stay civil and keep your hands off others people's girlfriends you'll get along just fine - and if a bouncer should punch you, smile and say thank you then walk away..

And if want be real safe....stay away from kareoke joints.  They are possibly the worst place for rip offs and subsequent beatings.

I've never seen any beatings at Zoe Yellow but do recall some nasty violence at Spicys. But Spicy seems to be off the radar these days.... maybe it's closed down?

And with the OP having a pseudonym of Montypython perhaps the safest quote/suggestion is from Brians mother:

He's not coming out, he's been a very naughty boy.

But that aside Chiang Mai is reasonably safe and quiet with a lot of smaller bars around the place.

Just don't get drunk and act like an idiot around young Thais. The don't fight fair and have a pack mentality when meting out 'their' form of punishment... some might say they are young punks but then it's wise not to get caught up in that situation from the start.

I believe Chiang Mai to be safer than Pattaya in regards night life, but then CM is also a lot less busy.

To be perfectly clear OP, 99.9% of people here manage to go out and have a drink or two at a bar without ending up in ICU so don't let the media hype concern you - the very fact that you've asked the question here in the first place tells us you're not in the 0.01% group don't worry, just go enjoy your holiday.

Nothing wrong with Zoe in Yellow. Just a lot of made up stories by people who never go there. Yes it is a younger element that go there so What? Where else is there apart for pubs that take care of the retirees and a few "lady" bars that take care of those in need. Very few places for teenagers to go in Chiang Mai. 

Your question is questionable

Some people attract trouble, if you are one of those you will find it

On the other hand if you are more normal and sensible you will be ok

Thailand is no different from any other parts of the world in this respect

You need to go around with your eyes open and not in a drunken stupor

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

Depends how old you are mate I suppose, Soi Nimmaheimen is an area where a lot of younger Thais go, Warm Up Cafe is very popular at w ends.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

thanks dude, ill have a look at it and see

its my 32nd birthday on my second day in chiang mai so a few beers will be necessary  

3 minutes ago, montypython said:

cheers dude, ill have a look in

p.s   im early 30's and not interested in hookers  

"im early 30's and not interested in hookers"  - with that sort of remark I'd be a bit worried that Immigration might not let you into the country, you appear to not fit the model of the typical western tourist who visits here. 

Just now, chiang mai said:

"im early 30's and not interested in hookers"  - with that sort of remark I'd be a bit worried that Immigration might not let you into the country, you appear to not fit the model of the typical western tourist who visits here. 

can i rephrase??

im young and want to smash every sti riddled prostitute i come across

happy now??

Archived