safety in chiang mai bars

montypython

1 minute ago, Grubster said:

You are going to love it and you don't have to worry about the stuff you hear, Thais are really friendly and you sound like a guy with a smile on your face,  that smile earns a lot of respect here.  Don't even worry about it, you will have a great time. Just remember that Thais do not like confrontation.  If your bill is a few baht more than expected, you can kindly point it out but don't argue. It is ok to barter a price in markets though. Cheers

There you go another helping hand. It must be the Christmas spirit. Just be careful of the bottled spirits. Last time I got into my pints I swear I saw my long dead grandfather. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

There you go another helping hand. It must be the Christmas spirit. Just be careful of the bottled spirits. Last time I got into my pints I swear I saw my long dead grandfather. 

I still take nourishment once or twice a week, I'm a bit of a binge drinker, the worst thing for my health I know but I do love people and have a lot of fun. My grandfather would be proud of me, as he did it till his death. The OP will have a great time here I bet. Cheers.

14 hours ago, montypython said:

im coming for day time excursions, treks, animal sanctuarys and cooking classes but would also like to have a few beers at night time (not gogo bars, regular bars )

Hi: The best bar is CU Corner in Soi 1 which is on the opposite side of the moat from Loy Kroh; Not a girlie bar but great music played by peeps sitting around a table and jamming. The regulars are really great folks: Aussie, UK, USA and so on.

3 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I still take nourishment once or twice a week, I'm a bit of a binge drinker, the worst thing for my health I know but I do love people and have a lot of fun. My grandfather would be proud of me, as he did it till his death. The OP will have a great time here I bet. Cheers.

You and the other kind Santa's little helpers ensured that. You guys deserve a like or a thank you. The question was out of my league. 

15 hours ago, montypython said:

cheers joe

am i right to avoid zoe? do these assults happen in other bars?

im not going to let it ruin my holiday but ill be more aware an avoid bars around the red light area

joe evidently does'nt know anything about zoe...it's a sewer populated with backpacker slime. Drunken pigs  ,,,girls on their knees puking in the gutter ...''tough'' guys blocking traffic , looking for trouble ..because you know they're in a group. So that makes them ''bad guys'' lol. if you're young and a backpacker then you'll prob. fit right in. The fact you wrote here and wanted to know about that sht hole instead of the great things to inquire about in CM ..they are more than likely your type of bros...

5 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

Nothing wrong with Zoe in Yellow. Just a lot of made up stories by people who never go there. Yes it is a younger element that go there so What? Where else is there apart for pubs that take care of the retirees and a few "lady" bars that take care of those in need. Very few places for teenagers to go in Chiang Mai. 

Zoe in Yellow does have a reputation, for bouncers who do this. Six months ago, staying at a GH right behind The Montri, one of the Guests had a multiple bouncer bash. He was in the hospital for a day. If I wasn't there when this happend likely I would be like the DGS who  I quoted above and be essentially clueless about it..

No do not go there.    I have a neice and her boyfriend in Thailand next month and have to give them a laundry list of places and things like ZOE ..... Don't go to this island because yadda yadda yadda ... stick to the rail link into town, don't take the taxi cause yadda yadda yadda.

Stay safe, the life you save might be your own.

On 21/12/2016 at 7:31 AM, montypython said:

im coming for day time excursions, treks, animal sanctuarys and cooking classes but would also like to have a few beers at night time (not gogo bars, regular bars )

You are too straight to get into any troubles in Thailand I must say. Believe me, the Thais know what kind of Farangs they want to bash, what kind of Farang to be left alone. You belong to the later category. Enjoy your piss drink. ( sorry I hate beer so I call it a piss drink, it looks just like piss anyway).

Just now, madusa said:

Believe me, the Thais know what kind of Farangs they want to bash, what kind of Farang to be left alone.

Bull,  they have no clue, cause they are drunk and want to bash someone - like the two who beat up the older British couple in Hua HIn. Just looking for a chance to beat people up. If you do it to a tourist or westerner your chances of having anything done to you by the police are minimal.

Too bad Tourism in Thailand is not Teflon, these events get publicized and tourists avoid the place. Now the Chinese tourist numbers are down too. Not Suprising.

7 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

But that aside Chiang Mai is reasonably safe and quiet with a lot of smaller bars around the place.

Just don't get drunk and act like an idiot around young Thais. The don't fight fair and have a pack mentality..

I believe Chiang Mai to be safer than Pattaya in regards night life, but then CM is also a lot less busy.

I vote this as best advise...

Remember that you are not on  your turf, don't get total drunk and start behaving like an aggressive idiot, you might offend the locals..

They will, on the other side, totally ignore you if you don't make a mess.

Nimman area also worth a try for a more local experience away from backpackers and girl bars

13 hours ago, rogeroc said:

Bars in CM are perfectly safe to enjoy and red light area does not equal problem area. Zoe in Yellow area is not really red light but full of drunk backpackers. Loi Kroh, Moon Muang Sois, Night Bazaar area just relax and enjoy.

Red light area? Where exactly is that?

To the OP: no problems of being attacked in Chiang Mai, it`s probably the safest city in Thailand and safer then most western cities I know. Even if you wanted to let your hair down a bit, visit the places that are seedy dumps, frequented by the worse and lowest types of people, you won`t find that either, all was shut down long ago. There are plenty of temples if you want to find religion during the daytime and most hotels have cable TV, so you will have something to do to keep you occupied during the late hours.

Was speaking quite generally about red light area and that areas with bars and girls do not necessarily mean trouble.  But i guess Loi Kroh would be the answer.

I agree that CM is generally safe but in my opinion the most likely place you could get into trouble in CM is Zoe in Yellow or Spicy, i find the atmosphere at both places intimidating and don't go to them anymore. I suspect the restricted hours or opening has made them both worse than they used to be.

wow, there is some fantastic replys here, thank you everyone 

id like to give a specific mention to scott3000, your a legend dude, and tony125 for sending me the video guides

if i bump into any of you guys ill get you a drink  :-)

im going to start looking for a hotel for 7 nights now  

Most folks don't understand how to handle bouncers in these places, my advice is to walk in at the start of the evening and lay down the law with them, tell 'em what your rules are and that if they interfere in any way there'll be trouble.

This approach has many benefits, not the  least being you wont have to wait until the end of the evening to get your beating, you can avoid the rush and get it over and done with early on. The key benefit however is the money you'll save on drinks that you would otherwise have purchased, not to mention avoidance of the ugliest girl in the bar  that your beer goggles would otherwise have steered you straight into the arms of. And, as if that's not enough, chances are that whilst you're recovering in Bangkok Hospital you'll probably meet a lovely nurse or two, all of which will have made your trip to CM worthwhile.

i

16 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Most folks don't understand how to handle bouncers in these places, my advice is to walk in at the start of the evening and lay down the law with them, tell 'em what your rules are and that if they interfere in any way there'll be trouble.

This approach has many benefits, not the  least being you wont have to wait until the end of the evening to get your beating, you can avoid the rush and get it over and done with early on. The key benefit however is the money you'll save on drinks that you would otherwise have purchased, not to mention avoidance of the ugliest girl in the bar  that your beer goggles would otherwise have steered you straight into the arms of. And, as if that's not enough, chances are that whilst you're recovering in Bangkok Hospital you'll probably meet a lovely nurse or two, all of which will have made your trip to CM worthwhile.

I repeat what I said earlier. 

Do not go into a bar with a bouncer (on your arm) or one on the door.

Save all the money with the aggravation provided above and just find a nurse by going to the local (insert your answer here) and say you think you have a possible STD ( or again insert as appropriate - Pun intended!)

Then show your member(ship card) and all will be sorted.

(sorry about the bold type - seems to be connected to the quoting)

Zoe in Yellow is only one venue in that complex.

Anyway, the GF likes to visit a bar on the edge of the complex, because the owner is a friend of her, and I've been there at least 30 times - I never noticed any serious incident.

Regarding the bouncers in Zoe in Yellow: We moved from time to time in the "beer garden area" of Zoe for 1-2 drinks with friends. Actually, I was more than happy that they have bouncers! - Keeps the bogans, who cannot control their alcohol intake,  (among the mostly friendly and partying crowd) under control.

On a different note...if you intend to drive/ride don't forget your international drivers license. The cops are thick around the moat area. A friend came here for follow-up dental work 10-days back,got stopped 6-times in 8-days (that's extremely rare),flashing the ITL saved him 1,000baht.

No worries,Chiang Mai is a perfectly safe and subdued tourist trap offering you every-ting you don't need..with a :smile:.  Weather will be 'chilled' in January ,complementing perfectly the on-the rocks nightlife.

Z'nY is the absolute bottom of the entertainment scene here....er..mmm..then again there is Spicy's.

Anyways, Stay Calm & Smile ( repeat that over and over)...CM is still an O.K travel destination, especially for the first time. Cheers

Just don't cause any Thai male, "Ladyboy", or BG to lose face.

For example the Tuk-Tuk drivers waiting outside Yellow late at night demand outrageous fares. If you refuse you may be set upon, so don't ask. Just walk one block away and flag another down. "No proplemm"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

Just don't cause any Thai male, "Ladyboy", or BG to lose face.

For example the Tuk-Tuk drivers waiting outside Yellow late at night demand outrageous fares. If you refuse you may be set upon, so don't ask. 

Has this actually ever happened ?

Tuk-tuk drivers attacking people for not accepting a fare ?

I have never heard of a situation like this happening 

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

Has this actually ever happened ?

Tuk-tuk drivers attacking people for not accepting a fare ?

I have never heard of a situation like this happening 

Yes. And Say you get a warm beer, Don't make a rude  face and complain. (drunk angry whatever).

The barman and his 'roid mates in bouncer t-shirts may take offense.

Just order some ice for your warm beer. 

8 hours ago, Dipterocarp said:

Yes. And Say you get a warm beer, Don't make a rude  face and complain. (drunk angry whatever).

The barman and his 'roid mates in bouncer t-shirts may take offense.

Just order some ice for your warm beer. 

I do not recall ever getting a warm beer in CM .

I do believe that its the places that sell beer at 7/11 prices that serve warm beer , then again, you cannot expect to pay cost price and then have it refrigerated .

If you do get served a warm beer , just politely ask for a cold one .

If you get angry, make rude faces and get confrontational, they will probably reply in kind . 

Treat them respectfully and they will treat you the same back

Archived