Tragedy in Chiang Mai as six year old shoots elder sister dead with dad's gun

webfact

Tragedy in Chiang Mai as six year old shoots elder sister dead with dad's gun

a3.jpg

Picture: Thairath

CHIANG MAI: -- A Chiang Mai family is in grief after a six year old girl grabbed her father's gun and shot her seven year old sister dead in a children's game.

The tragedy happened at the home of 30 year old Lisor hill tribesman Wichai in the Mae Taeng area of Chiang Mai.

The children were playing in a second floor bedroom. The younger sibling found the .38 gun in a storage cupboard and pointed it at her sister. It went off hitting the seven year old in the head, reports Thairath.

Adults who were downstairs found the girl still alive but she died later Tuesday in hospital

Chiang Mai police collected evidence from the scene including gunshot residue and the casing.

Investigations are ongoing and no charges have yet been laid.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-22

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Parental irresponsibility ends in tragedy., 

Surely the child can't be held liable???? I would think the parents be answerable as to why a loaded weapon be left in reach of a minor .Never ceases to amaze me the level of care and nurture this country adopts to their minors . I realize a lot of families are cash strapped , hence the reason they let their school child drive home unlicensed on motorbikes but without helmets and 4-6 on one bike "on these crazy streets" WoW! ... Stupid is not a big enough word!

I don't think it will ever change one thing for sure if your child can make it into adulthood you can consider it very lucky . Guess like China when the population is so high do the deaths really matter ? If you don't get killed from an accident of some kind , or poisoned from pollutants and waste, suicide is the other preferred option ......personally found Thailand best get in holiday see experience then get out.

15 minutes ago, roo860 said:

About young kids getting accidentally shot dead with firearms owned by parents.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Not an argumentative comment, genuine curiosity. Does this really happen a lot in the US? I know the US has this (in my opinion) crazy and outdated law on gun ownership but I always thought that the storage of guns in the home was strictly adhered to, in other words no loaded gun stored at home.

It's an unbelievable scenario when someone so young gets killed by another child in a stupid, pointless and completely avoidable accident. I do wonder how it will effect the young boy because he is old enough to remember at 6 years old.

My last point, are there no laws on gun ownership in Thailand? Do you need a permit? Does the gun have to be registered?

GAZZPA, 

I lived in the US as a citizen for 57 years. I was also a school counselor, a Red Cross disaster worker, and a public health researcher/writer. Yes, this tragedy occurs often in the US--so much so that it's just another fact of life there. 

3 minutes ago, roo860 said:

My last point, are there no laws on gun ownership in Thailand? Do you need a permit? Does the gun have to be registered?

Yes mate they have laws ref having a permit etc.

laws are there

now it needs to be seen how they are enforced

far too many people with guns here (registered + unregistered), with no capacity to manage their emotions and unable to prevent others to reach these weapons

wrong people with the wrong killing tool

Over a few years while I was in Hua Hin I used to regularly bump into a Thai guy from Hat Yai. He used to sell lighters etc, met him in Chiang Mai as well.
Anyway to cut a long story short ,I jokingly asked him if he could get me a hand gun, he said I can get you one within 2 days, he was not joking.
Seems illegal guns are very available.

30 minutes ago, 6thST said:

The gun the father had was it legal? 

Truthfully at this stage, it doesn't really matter.

A legal gun or an illegal one will do the same amount of damage to a child if the child is hit.

The tragic thing about this is that the weapon was accessible to the other youngster. 

Would be good to keep this topic about Thailand without - again - sliding into US regulations, rightly or wrongly
Looks like there's enough to be discussed as why this happened here and now

It's quite common mate for posters to compare what happens here to what goes on in other countries.[emoji106]

RIP to the young girl, sad that adults were not ensuring the gun was locked up and unloaded while in the house.

No matter the outcome re police proceedings a sad tale of lack of responsibility by adults.

This is becoming another major problem here, no-one takes any notice of responsibility , hence the problems generally always some-one else's fault or an idiotic excuse for everything.

Of course, leftists will make this into a gun control issue as they do with every gun tragedy.  Simply put, the parents are fully responsible for what happened.  Perhaps the worst part of this is not even the death, but the fact that the 6-year old kid will have to live with the knowledge that she shot her sister to death....for the rest of her life.  But at the end of the day, we should not be taking away the rights of the majority to defend themselves with a gun for the relatively minute number of instances where guns are misused.  That is flawed thinking.

not the time to be calling the parents stupid, irresponsible, etc. condolences to the family. i can't help but feel concerned for the young one because she is old enough to understand a lot of things and killing her sibling, albeit accidentally, will definitely leave deep emotional scars. i hope the whole family recovers from this tragedy.

48 minutes ago, Mitker said:

laws are there

now it needs to be seen how they are enforced

far too many people with guns here (registered + unregistered), with no capacity to manage their emotions and unable to prevent others to reach these weapons

wrong people with the wrong killing tool

Until immaturity and face-saving are eradicated, problems will persist. It is a cultural issue, not a legal one. That said, accountability is another cultural issue needing attention, further to the immaturity is situational awareness...totally lacking in the local culture. Situational awareness and accountability go a long way toward the prevention of tragedies such as this.

26 minutes ago, cromagnon said:

Of course, leftists will make this into a gun control issue as they do with every gun tragedy.  Simply put, the parents are fully responsible for what happened.  Perhaps the worst part of this is not even the death, but the fact that the 6-year old kid will have to live with the knowledge that she shot her sister to death....for the rest of her life.  But at the end of the day, we should not be taking away the rights of the majority to defend themselves with a gun for the relatively minute number of instances where guns are misused.  That is flawed thinking.

"Leftists"?  Way better than being a gun toting rightist. 

1 hour ago, 6thST said:

The gun the father had was it legal? 

Unfortunately, now it doesn't matter. They have suffered a terrible loss due to the parent/s acting irresponsibly. That will be punishment enough for them.

Putting the weapon in a "cupboard/storage" is not acceptable. And with bullets left in the gun? Pea brained gun owner!

RIP sister.

31 minutes ago, cromagnon said:

Sounds like "gun lobby" U.S.A. thinking to me. :whistling:

43 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

not the time to be calling the parents stupid, irresponsible, etc. condolences to the family. i can't help but feel concerned for the young one because she is old enough to understand a lot of things and killing her sibling, albeit accidentally, will definitely leave deep emotional scars. i hope the whole family recovers from this tragedy.

"i hope the whole family recovers from this tragedy."

Unfortunately, one of them never will. RIP.

Archived