Tragedy in Chiang Mai as six year old shoots elder sister dead with dad's gun

webfact

39 minutes ago, cromagnon said:

Of course, leftists will make this into a gun control issue as they do with every gun tragedy.  Simply put, the parents are fully responsible for what happened.  Perhaps the worst part of this is not even the death, but the fact that the 6-year old kid will have to live with the knowledge that she shot her sister to death....for the rest of her life.  But at the end of the day, we should not be taking away the rights of the majority to defend themselves with a gun for the relatively minute number of instances where guns are misused.  That is flawed thinking.

Flawed thinking??? What are you like.

I think a sensible person might rather say we should not be allowing people to have guns without an extremely good reason given the relatively minute number of occasions when people need one to defend themselves.

Anyone who thinks unlimited guns are a great idea in any country needs to look at the statistics (the real ones, not the utter nonsense invented by the NRA in the US). 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost every week we head such gun shooting happen in the USA, shooting in streets, shopping malls, schools etc,,

the assailant mostly get killed and the case closed at that point,, nothing serious,, nothing more than this,,

but it could be labeled as a very savage terror action, based on the geographic location and involved names,,

12 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

A simple regulation requiring, at minimum a trigger lock on guns, and better a trigger lock and a locked safe.  

Works in other countries provided its followed.

It works even better never to keep them loaded and to keep the ammunition in a safe.

1 hour ago, cromagnon said:

Of course, leftists will make this into a gun control issue as they do with every gun tragedy.  Simply put, the parents are fully responsible for what happened.  Perhaps the worst part of this is not even the death, but the fact that the 6-year old kid will have to live with the knowledge that she shot her sister to death....for the rest of her life.  But at the end of the day, we should not be taking away the rights of the majority to defend themselves with a gun for the relatively minute number of instances where guns are misused.  That is flawed thinking.

Flawed thinking what drugs are you taking, give everybody a gun in case they may need to defend themselves, rubbish.

More guns = more tragic accidents like this, more gun crime and more death. It really is that simple.

2 hours ago, cromagnon said:

Any country that has strict gun laws have fewer deaths by fire arms. And really how many times in your life have you ever needed a fire arm to protect yourself

2 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Not an argumentative comment, genuine curiosity. Does this really happen a lot in the US? I know the US has this (in my opinion) crazy and outdated law on gun ownership but I always thought that the storage of guns in the home was strictly adhered to, in other words no loaded gun stored at home.

Gazzpa, I understand that what happens in the USA is far more interesting, entertaining and enlightening than what happens in Thailand.

However, the news article is about Thailand, lets discuss that.   :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, wilgoster said:

So want training to go with every gun sold. So sad.

So you're demanding training for six-year-olds now? Absurd.

It's no different than back in the good old US of A.  With society awash in guns, these kinds of tragedies are unavoidable. 

Keep clutching your <deleted> guns until one day they are held by cold dead hands 

Off course it is a tragedy for the family and going to be very hard for the sister to live with in the future. My thoughts are with them.

After that we will come to the piont of responsibility when being the owner of a gun with children in the house or not.
Today nobody is so purely stupid som they not know what a gun can do concerning harn to people. Therefore the
gum should always be locked up and never loaded or together with ammunition. Never leave a gun where people can take it!

The owner of the gun should have charges pressed against him, for being this careless.  I know it might seem hard, but that´s just that fact.

real fire gun was kept same as a toy ,, to result in tragedy killing .. clumsy and neglectful parents,

generally they should ban this from the markets unless to be under very tight restriction and they should required some basic training about uses, safety storage and family protection from such fatal incidents to anyone will own a such fure gun, some little stupid mistakes lead to life damage,,  

Not an argumentative comment, genuine curiosity. Does this really happen a lot in the US? I know the US has this (in my opinion) crazy and outdated law on gun ownership but I always thought that the storage of guns in the home was strictly adhered to, in other words no loaded gun stored at home.

It's an unbelievable scenario when someone so young gets killed by another child in a stupid, pointless and completely avoidable accident. I do wonder how it will effect the young boy because he is old enough to remember at 6 years old.

My last point, are there no laws on gun ownership in Thailand? Do you need a permit? Does the gun have to be registered?

What young boy ?

It's an unbelievable scenario when someone so young gets killed by another child in a stupid, pointless and completely avoidable accident. I do wonder how it will effect the young boy because he is old enough to remember at 6 years old.

My last point, are there no laws on gun ownership in Thailand? Do you need a permit? Does the gun have to be registered?

To answer your last questions tne gun is (supposed ) to be registered but no shooters licence as such and no forigner is (supposed) to possess a firearm

Laws on gun ownership are fairly irrelevant, the world is awash with arms of all  description most of which could be classed as illegal by Western standards, but if we sit back and think for a minuet , the west is the main supplier/manufacturer and many ex service man went home with trophies and many will be here from Viet Nam & Cambodia.

3 hours ago, roo860 said:

A regular occurance in the USA?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Thailand had 7.48 violent gun deaths per 100,000 people in 2013.

in-art-countdown-icon-128x128x3s.gif?d=1482382032151398655.35751765437
–– ADVERTISEMENT ––
opt-out-icon2.png

in-art-soundanimation-icon-41x48.gif

That’s over twice the gun death rate in the US, which had 3.55 deaths per 100,000 people in the same year.

Thailand also has the highest gun death rate in Asia, the data shows.

It had 50% more deaths than the Philippines, which also beat the US gun death rate with 4.64 deaths per 100,000 people.

I suspect the Philippine figure might jump up this year since the general election and the imposition of the "kill anyone you want to say was a drug dealer"  rule came in.  Difficult to call it a "law".

3 hours ago, roo860 said:

A regular occurance in the USA?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

NO, it's not a regular occurrence in the USA. A gun loaded or not is not going to shoot by itself, it takes the human element. Here's the problem ,irresponsible adults that have young children in the home that have no concept of what that gun can do when handled improperly. The blame in this case is directly on the owner of that gun, no excuses.

2 hours ago, cromagnon said:

Well since Righty brought it up, I will have to argue that many times more often a person dies from the misuse of a gun, than the rare incidence when a gun is successfully used in self defense. I am not a lefty but there is a definite gun problem and I don't know the answer. I think the gun lovers should try hard to find some answers before their worst nightmare happens [ guns illegal ]. I don't understand why the NRA is so hard on regulations that could ensure that law abiding people that have guns know how to handle them, and that known criminals can't buy one without the seller being a criminal. I think it should be legal but hard to buy a gun. Back ground checks, Psychiatric evaluations, proof of gun safe in home, illegal to own gun that is not registered, gun safety training, etc.

3 hours ago, lifeincnx said:

Not sure what your point is but, per capita, Thailand has more deaths from firearms than the U.S.

U should always provide stats. when making such claims.....

Thailand.......Ease of access to firearms, lack of education, lack of law enforcement, Cultural problem...'Loss of face'.

Apart from the first, What excuse does the USA have?

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/02/thailand-gun-crime/

17 minutes ago, andy8017 said:

Laws on gun ownership are fairly irrelevant, the world is awash with arms of all  description most of which could be classed as illegal by Western standards, but if we sit back and think for a minuet , the west is the main supplier/manufacturer and many ex service man went home with trophies and many will be here from Viet Nam & Cambodia.

unfortunately, this is the bitter reality,,  in US almost weekly shooting incidents in streets, malls, schools etc, killing dozens of innocents and they still supplying.. n selling and daily killing !!!

Never any comment from the Journo in these shooting news reports as to whether the gun was legally owned or not.  And most often, no follow up article about charges or not being laid. It would not be sexy shock-horror news!!!!   Boring!!!   SE Asia is awash with firearms and soft borders everywhere.  I imagine firearms are easy to obtain if you know a few people and that many of the guns involved in these "incidents" are not legally owned.  However, if it was an illegal gun in a Farang house, God help him (or her.)

52 minutes ago, zd1 said:

Flawed thinking what drugs are you taking, give everybody a gun in case they may need to defend themselves, rubbish.

More guns = more tragic accidents like this, more gun crime and more death. It really is that simple.

16 minutes ago, andy8017 said:

The flawed thinking belongs to you. Correct me if. I'm wrong, the country of Switzerland requires that firearms be kept in the home by all adult males and that they be trained and qualified for marksmanship annually. If there's a gun in every household where's all tragic accidents. I'm not sure the percentage of households in the USA but I would guess it's not as high as Switzerland. It's the human factor!

Archived