BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Tragedy in Chiang Mai as six year old shoots elder sister dead with dad's gun

Over a few years while I was in Hua Hin I used to regularly bump into a Thai guy from Hat Yai. He used to sell lighters etc, met him in Chiang Mai as well.
Anyway to cut a long story short ,I jokingly asked him if he could get me a hand gun, he said I can get you one within 2 days, he was not joking.
Seems illegal guns are very available.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

30 minutes ago, 6thST said:

The gun the father had was it legal? 

Truthfully at this stage, it doesn't really matter.

A legal gun or an illegal one will do the same amount of damage to a child if the child is hit.

The tragic thing about this is that the weapon was accessible to the other youngster. 

Would be good to keep this topic about Thailand without - again - sliding into US regulations, rightly or wrongly
Looks like there's enough to be discussed as why this happened here and now

It's quite common mate for posters to compare what happens here to what goes on in other countries.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

RIP to the young girl, sad that adults were not ensuring the gun was locked up and unloaded while in the house.

No matter the outcome re police proceedings a sad tale of lack of responsibility by adults.

This is becoming another major problem here, no-one takes any notice of responsibility , hence the problems generally always some-one else's fault or an idiotic excuse for everything.

Of course, leftists will make this into a gun control issue as they do with every gun tragedy.  Simply put, the parents are fully responsible for what happened.  Perhaps the worst part of this is not even the death, but the fact that the 6-year old kid will have to live with the knowledge that she shot her sister to death....for the rest of her life.  But at the end of the day, we should not be taking away the rights of the majority to defend themselves with a gun for the relatively minute number of instances where guns are misused.  That is flawed thinking.

Awful, a family ruined through sheer stupidity...  TIT :sad:

not the time to be calling the parents stupid, irresponsible, etc. condolences to the family. i can't help but feel concerned for the young one because she is old enough to understand a lot of things and killing her sibling, albeit accidentally, will definitely leave deep emotional scars. i hope the whole family recovers from this tragedy.

48 minutes ago, Mitker said:

laws are there

now it needs to be seen how they are enforced

far too many people with guns here (registered + unregistered), with no capacity to manage their emotions and unable to prevent others to reach these weapons

wrong people with the wrong killing tool

Until immaturity and face-saving are eradicated, problems will persist. It is a cultural issue, not a legal one. That said, accountability is another cultural issue needing attention, further to the immaturity is situational awareness...totally lacking in the local culture. Situational awareness and accountability go a long way toward the prevention of tragedies such as this.

26 minutes ago, cromagnon said:

Of course, leftists will make this into a gun control issue as they do with every gun tragedy.  Simply put, the parents are fully responsible for what happened.  Perhaps the worst part of this is not even the death, but the fact that the 6-year old kid will have to live with the knowledge that she shot her sister to death....for the rest of her life.  But at the end of the day, we should not be taking away the rights of the majority to defend themselves with a gun for the relatively minute number of instances where guns are misused.  That is flawed thinking.

"Leftists"?  Way better than being a gun toting rightist. 

1 hour ago, 6thST said:

The gun the father had was it legal? 

Unfortunately, now it doesn't matter. They have suffered a terrible loss due to the parent/s acting irresponsibly. That will be punishment enough for them.

Putting the weapon in a "cupboard/storage" is not acceptable. And with bullets left in the gun? Pea brained gun owner!

RIP sister.

31 minutes ago, cromagnon said:

Sounds like "gun lobby" U.S.A. thinking to me. :whistling:

I very much dislike guns.

Guns are/were not designed for sport, nor for fun, or any other recreational purpose.

'They are for KILLING people, only that!

43 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

not the time to be calling the parents stupid, irresponsible, etc. condolences to the family. i can't help but feel concerned for the young one because she is old enough to understand a lot of things and killing her sibling, albeit accidentally, will definitely leave deep emotional scars. i hope the whole family recovers from this tragedy.

"i hope the whole family recovers from this tragedy."

Unfortunately, one of them never will. RIP.

He had a loaded 38 in the house because...tragic for all concerned but especially for the child that killed his Sister. They now have to live with that.